• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches X99M-WS Micro-ATX Motherboard

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
i prefer fins, just fins, maybe with variation. today many boards looks too much with plastic

For a change the heatsinks on this look a hell lot better than most.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Off course, I like only heatsink on server motherboards...I would like to manufacturers back that on all desktop motherboards...
ASUS make that for WS series... But always I need something what miss on WS series and than I buy usually something else. Z97 WS had good layot and as I need but I couldn't find ASUS X99 with such heatsink and with small ports. Some sound cards make problems if you install them on x8 or x16 slots and work better on x1 or x4...
Creative example advice to customers use x1 or x4 slot for SBZ. If you install in big slot you can make problem to graphic card and sometimes after restart PC will not regoznice card and you need to reinstall again. Becdause of that X99 WS was not option for me. If I pay cards as 780Ti, 980Ti I could use and 100$ worth sound card.

For me is whole Z170 line is ugly and many others... I like heatsinks as on Z87 Classified, Z97 Classified, Z77 FTW,
ASUS Z97 WS, ASUS X79 WS, ASUS X99 E WS, X99 M WS, X99 WS/IPMI. That's heatsinks, fins, best cooling, what today made is nothing... Only Rampage 5 Extreme is probably high quality, I never hold such heavy box for motherboard and I had ROG boards before...protection shield on ports and heatsinks increase weught, and off course OC Panel.

GIGABYTE last nice heatsinks had on some Z77 and X79 motherboards...
And with heatsinks and color you can destroy image of whole motherboard.
For me even Rampage 5 Extreme is not nicest heatsink, only is much better than most others and I read nice words about that board.
But that mean nothing, people cursed Z77 FTW, I never had so stable system, so long overclocked for 1GHz 30% over Intel Specification, wihout crash 3 years, and she worked as server without turning off.

Aegis72

Hi! To the owners of this board, I was wondering if you can confirm or deny that the WiFi can be physically removed from the board? I don't mean "disabled in BIOS" or "don't install the driver," but remove the Blutooth and wifi card from inside that little silver enclosure without desoldering?

I was told by Asus tech support that it can, but wanted to see if anyone else has poked at the enclosure or opened it.

Thinking of this as a SFF mobo for an application for a client where WiFi signals are not allowed -- or even the POSSIBILITY of WiFi signals being emitted or received.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi! To the owners of this board, I was wondering if you can confirm or deny that the WiFi can be physically removed from the board? I don't mean "disabled in BIOS" or "don't install the driver," but remove the Blutooth and wifi card from inside that little silver enclosure without desoldering?

I was told by Asus tech support that it can, but wanted to see if anyone else has poked at the enclosure or opened it.

Thinking of this as a SFF mobo for an application for a client where WiFi signals are not allowed -- or even the POSSIBILITY of WiFi signals being emitted or received.
Nearly all current ASUS Wi-Fi Go! cards can be removed, yes. There are two screws on the back of the board that must be removed, and then the card can be pulled out of the slot.

Aegis72

Thanks! I did see another Asus board on Youtube that allowed to INSTALL it after-market, so I hope that this is just the reverse of that process.