• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano Review by TPU...Not

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Reviewers on TPU put "not shiny enough" in Cons when reviewing drives, ram, cooling etc. I'd rather they focused on important technical aspects rather than all that pointless shite.
Oh, I really like when W1zz puts "No VGA output" as a conn on high end GPU reviews. :shadedshu:

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
You sir, have been successfully trolled. I think you missed the reference to our resident extremist AMD fanboy.

I asked if all he knew was to personally insult people. Second sentence said I'm sick of the bullshit not the personal attacks. I'm tired of Sony running his f*****g mouth, that's all.
maam ha ha I'mm a lady cat :)

and hahahaha I just noticed sorry :p

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
maam ha ha I'mm a lady cat :)

and hahahaha I just noticed sorry :p
Sir is a generic pronoun for me, I don't tend to attach it to a gender. I guess I really should be saying ma'am though. :p A lot of women I know hate being called ma'am though.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
@Aquinus it makes them feel rather... old. Not sure why xD

Processor 4690K @ 4.5Ghz: Full Time @ 1.25v
Motherboard Gigabyte Gaming 3 Z97
Cooling KRAKEN X31
Memory 16GB Hyper-X Savage @ 2400Mhz: Full Time
Video Card(s) Gigabyte WF GTX 970 OC @ 1500/1950: Full Time
Storage Samsung 830 + 3x Mechanical Drivers
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10
That doesn't matter. They hold intellectual property that will keep them afloat. They've actually been doing good the past few years in my books, but a certain CEO decided to not focus on mobile products (for which he got fired), and that has left them in the state they are in now.

Not reviewers. It's their CEOs, and their marketing.

Nice try though. Still doesn't explain why they decided to not send me chips, and thereby minimizing their exposure...

AMD CPU reivews here on TPU, done by me:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/FM2_APU_Preview/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/FM2_APU_Review/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/FX-8350_Piledriver_Review/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/A10-6800K/

If I wanted to take your way of saying things... oh look at the date since I've done a review... oh, look, that time period matches when you say they have been having issues... maybe they should have kept ME happy? Maybe their lack of sending me samples fucked them over, and now they are paying the price?

NOw here again we have an issue of not sending samples... whose fault is that?

A..M...fukin..D.

All good reviews....... and i will repeat:

I think TPU are one of the better reviewers, i don't think they are unfair to AMD and they tend to stay out of all the mud slinging on both sides, i also like the large list of games they test and the combined results at the end.

Maybe they haven't sent you anything new because they don't actually have anything new to send you? having said that maybe you need to change that attitude apparent in the last few sentences if you want them to send you Zen next year?

What do you mean by "They hold intellectual property that will keep them afloat" ? that isn't stopping them from losing vast amounts of money, money they no longer have to lose as its all gone.

So what are you suggesting? that they sell their IP? Wouldn't you agree that for AMD to start selling IP is the same as them going out of existence? whose going to buy CPU and GPU technologies? Intel and Nvidia, with that AMD's existence would be totally at the mercy of Intel and Nvidia, and what then when the money from those sales runs out and Intel, Nvidia own everything while AMD have nothing?

You think their IP will save them?

You know what. if it comes to that i would rather AMD gave it away to some one like Samsung and close up shop.

We've moved on from one form of stupidity, to a conversation I think is worth having.

May I pose the question as such. Is AMD trying to market their brand in an entirely new way, or better yet are they competently marketing the brand?

I'd like to offer the following. I occasionally (upon release of new product lines) get e-mails from Nvidia about their latest and greatest cards. I never seemed to get those e-mails from AMD, until the 3xx series cards had a date. In the last three months I've been inundated with requests to follow AMD on Twitch, where they'd be giving away a brand new card after you were forced to watch somebody stream with it.

AMD has limited the amount of people who were offered Fury and Nano samples. You can argue this as AMD being paranoid, but it seems to be a stupid point. Nvidia have said that they won't release an HBM1 powered card, because of a severe limitation on the available stock and the memory limits. This is the company that proudly released a nearly 1600 USD card, that could be outperformed by an SLI setup with cards that were 1/2 the price and less. If you're willing to place that kind of albatross around your neck, yet still pass on HBM1, what does that say about the maturity and availability of HBM1?

Is AMD pricing themselves out of the game? It seems that way, but only because of incompetence of message. Nvidia can put the 970 (340ish USD), 980 (520ish USD), and Titan Z (1600ish USD) into a generation and "win." AMD on the other hand offers the 380 (200ish USD), 390 (320ish USD), and the Fury (650ish USD). Rather than focus on the high resolution benefits of the current product stack, or perhaps working with a B or C level studio to get a competent DX12 coded game onto the market to demonstrate their technological prowess, AMD are demonstrating the fact that they offer an excellent price to performance ratio (even if the performance per watt is not great). While that does get you something, the reality is that it doesn't translate to sales if you aren't marketing yourself as a value brand. AMD is still trying to be the king of performance, when they could do so much better this generation by selling themselves as the king of value, which will be reaped in the next several years as DX12 actually gains traction.

Is AMD actually focused on the high-end market? I have to ask the question, because it seems like everybody fails to do so. Nvidia has released a high end card with each of the last few generations, which does nothing for most people. Realistically, gaming on a console isn't as great, but when I could have two consoles for less than your single GPU, the cost to performance is pretty screwy. Likewise, the Nano demonstrates a rather unique focus on GPU size, not on massively increased performance. If, as was posed by the OP, Nano was stretched to Fury size and the pricing was reduced what would be on offer? A card that performs very well of the price per watt metric, demonstrates a new memory technology, and might well compete with the 980ti favorably on overclocking performance. Instead, what we receive is a lackluster Fury and a massively priced Nano. It really seems like AMD targeted two traditional market segments, fired everything, and forgot that there might be someone in-between.

In short, I think AMD marketing needs to be fundamentally reworked. There's such a fundamental disconnect between what they are selling, and how they are selling it, that I can't understand how their PR doesn't go home each evening and drink themselves to sleep. Social media pressure is great for low cost items. Traditional reviews are great for higher cost items (this is why Consumer Report and Car & Driver still exist). There's a fundamental stupidity demonstrated in trying to sell one with another though. You won't see Consumer Report passing judgement on deodorant, yet Old Spice has a better marketing engine through viral videos than the objective quality of their product. AMD is trying to be both a modern PR machine, and sell an expensive product. That kind of disconnect is hurting their bottom line more than objective silence on products ever could. Either support your expensive product with traditional reviews, or sell your cheap product with social media campaigns. What you are doing now is just painful to watch.

For AMD to make better products to better compete with Intel and Nvidia they need R&D for development.

They don't have any, they are losing massive amounts of money, not making it.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
So what are you suggesting? that they sell their IP? Wouldn't you agree that for AMD to start selling IP is the same as them going out of existence? whose going to buy CPU and GPU technologies? Intel and Nvidia, with that AMD's existence would be totally at the mercy of Intel and Nvidia, and what then when the money from those sales runs out and Intel, Nvidia own everything while AMD have nothing?

You think their IP will save them?
I think the only thing they can do with most of their IP is use it. Things like shader technology and x86 might have a harder time finding their way to another company. The problem is AMD has milked a lot out of GCN but, as you said, they don't have the R&D to move forward. So what do we get? The same old stuff. Not to say I don't like my 390 but, it's not a step forward. AMD has only been tweaking their stuff (like Intel has been but for different reasons,) since the failure of Bulldozer to live up to scrutiny.

AMD is stuck between a rock and a hard place and no matter how good management you get in there, the reality is that NVidia and Intel and wipe the floor with respect to R&D funding. So either someone really smart at AMD has to make a crazy breakthrough, or the ship is going to sink. I would hate to see AMD go the way of the dinosaur but, it's entirely possible that AMD is in a downward spiral that's being accelerated by poor management.

I would argue that the day AMD starting spiraling downhill was when they sold off their fabs and it has only been getting worse since. The more you outsource, the more problems you're going to have and, the slower it will be to correct them. In general, it's cheap up front, but costly down the road.

Cooling KRAKEN X31
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10
I think the only thing they can do with most of their IP is use it. Things like shader technology and x86 might have a harder time finding their way to another company. The problem is AMD has milked a lot out of GCN but, as you said, they don't have the R&D to move forward. So what do we get? The same old stuff. Not to say I don't like my 390 but, it's not a step forward. AMD has only been tweaking their stuff (like Intel has been but for different reasons,) since the failure of Bulldozer to live up to scrutiny.

AMD is stuck between a rock and a hard place and no matter how good management you get in there, the reality is that NVidia and Intel and wipe the floor with respect to R&D funding. So either someone really smart at AMD has to make a crazy breakthrough, or the ship is going to sink. I would hate to see AMD go the way of the dinosaur but, it's entirely possible that AMD is in a downward spiral that's being accelerated by poor management.

I would argue that the day AMD starting spiraling downhill was when they sold off their fabs and it has only been getting worse since. The more you outsource, the more problems you're going to have and, the slower it will be to correct them. In general, it's cheap up front, but costly down the road.

The best thing for everyone is for someone with a lot of cash to take ownership of AMD, someone other than Intel or Nvidia because if that happens we as consumers are screwed.

Someone like Samsung, they have big ambitions in the mobile market and AMD's IP can help them in that.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
The best thing for everyone is for someone with a lot of cash to take ownership of AMD, someone other than Intel or Nvidia because if that happens we as consumers are screwed.

Someone like Samsung, they have big ambitions in the mobile market and AMD's IP can help them in that.
The whole x86 license not being transferable is a thing though. Practicality also has to be weighed by law. Samsung can't simply acquire AMD and expect to get all of its IP. It doesn't work that way for all licenses.

Cooling KRAKEN X31
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10
The whole x86 license not being transferable is a thing though. Practicality also has to be weighed by law. Samsung can't simply acquire AMD and expect to get all of its IP. It doesn't work that way for all licenses.

I know, you would think that given Intel needing AMD's x86_64 as much as AMD needs Intel x86 some sort of compromise could be reached but Intel has AMD over a barrel as the contract states AMD must be under their own ownership to continue their use of x86.

There was talk a while back of AMD spinning off its GPU department, if the CPU department remains AMD with the X86_64 IP while all the other IP gets transferd with the GPU spin-off then Samsung could take it over, the X86_64 IP can come later (if Samsung want it) once that contract is up for renewal.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
There was talk a while back of AMD spinning off its GPU department, if the CPU department remains AMD with the X86_64 IP while all the other IP gets transferd with the GPU spin-off then Samsung could take it over, the X86_64 IP can come later (if Samsung want it) once that contract is up for renewal.

The whole x86 license not being transferable is a thing though.

Lets not drag that crock of shit up again its been done to almost death in other threads
lets stick to this crock of ..............................

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I know, you would think that given Intel needing AMD's x86_64 as much as AMD needs Intel x86 some sort of compromise could be reached but Intel has AMD over a barrel as the contract states AMD must be under their own ownership to continue their use of x86.

IMO this kind of suicidal and toxic corporate behavior is usually done by companies planning to go private. Bad for investors.

AMD has Fiji, but it's almost deliberately not monetizing it properly.

Cooling KRAKEN X31
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10
IMO this kind of suicidal and toxic corporate behavior is usually done by companies planning to go private. Bad for investors.

AMD has Fiji, but it's almost deliberately not monetizing it properly.

You're putting AMD and Investors into the same sentence? :laugh::roll::p

:fear:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The question I have is why did JayztwoCents get one over the other review sites? I like his videos and all, but his GPU reviews are terrible compared to the others, especially TPU. It makes no sense.

Cooling KRAKEN X31
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10
The question I have is why did JayztwoCents get one over the other review sites? I like his videos and all, but his GPU reviews are terrible compared to the others, especially TPU. It makes no sense.

I think this has been said before in this thread, AMD are investing in Social Media Reviews and (Correct me if i'm wrong) TPU generally don't do Youtube. JayztwoCents is all over it.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I think this has been said before in this thread, AMD are investing in Social Media Reviews and (Correct me if i'm wrong) TPU generally don't do Youtube. JayztwoCents is all over it.

I think this is why W1zzard wanted YouTube candidates, to get a more visible presence.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

We're grooming a YouTuber as we speak.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
dave, you can stop lobbying for one already. :p

I don't want a Nano. I want the CEO job.

And I'm not joking. I first called myself ATI's #1 fanboy, then it was AMD's #1 fanboy, when AMD bought ATI (and when everyone said no way to that, I was the one saying, "All day" like Kanye.")

That's really what's wrong with AMD. They hire executives with no passion for the industry. They really need to hire me. (this is also not the first time I've said that).

We're grooming a YouTuber as we speak.

And W1zz also made it plain with no plans for reviews. So...

Cooling KRAKEN X31
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Looking forward to seeing him in action :) now get onto AMD about it.....

Sneak-peak. Very early, still working on a presentation, graphics package, and other technical stuff, so don't flame us.

Cooling KRAKEN X31
Display(s) AOC G2460V
Case CM HAF 912+
Power Supply EVGA 650GS
Keyboard Logiteck G110
Software Win 10
Sneak-peak. Very early, still working on a presentation, graphics package, and other technical stuff, so don't flame us.

Not bad, he's obviously reading from a script and that's hampering his camera presentation skills but a lot of potential there, he just needs more practice multitasking that :)

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I don't want a Nano. I want the CEO job.

And I'm not joking. I first called myself ATI's #1 fanboy, then it was AMD's #1 fanboy, when AMD bought ATI (and when everyone said no way to that, I was the one saying, "All day" like Kanye.")

That's really what's wrong with AMD. They hire executives with no passion for the industry. They really need to hire me. (this is also not the first time I've said that).

And W1zz also made it plain with no plans for reviews. So...
agree hire dave

and not doing reviews on youtube is frankly stupid thats shutting your self out of a pretty large segment of users

I wish they send me a Nano for review ... :p
I promise I'll say only nice words about them and the card.

Performance graph will rock too ... for sure the Nano will be the fastest thing my PC has ever seen :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
agree hire dave

and not doing reviews on youtube is frankly stupid thats shutting your self out of a pretty large segment of users
I've tried broaching the subject of YouTube reviews with W1zz a few times. I had real high-end equipment including DAT decks and cameras, and full editing station (taken out of a TV studio), I've got proper media training so I know how to talk and about appearance in video, and I got the knowledge about hardware so that the videos have worthwhile content. But now the gear is sold, and I've moved into a house without the room, although if really needed I could find space to do it in. I have my own YouTube project now anyway (not tech related), and maybe more stuff in the future. Doing reviews for TPU is just a hobby (as per W1zz), and I have a family to feed. Anyone that's been on our TeamSpeak knows I can chat up just about anything. :p

AS to working for AMD, I'd not be asking for several million in remuneration, either, and had AMD taken my seriously mayn years ago, they'd have saved literal millions, and maybe had a better presence in the market. Oh well.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7

OK, the AMD part is so negative that I have to ask if the video was made after learning that you will not get a Nano.