• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces STRIX Series Sound Cards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS today announced Strix Raid DLX, Strix Raid Pro, and Strix Soar, gaming sound cards that deliver sensational, high-definition 192kHz/24-bit audio, 7.1-channel surround-sound, and Perfect Voice noise-cancellation technology for incredible gaming experiences.

Strix Raid DLX is a premium soundcard built with high-end components to satisfy gamers who demand the ultimate audio performance. Strix Raid DLX features an ESS SABRE9016 digital-to-analog converter (DAC) - the world's highest performance 32-bit and 24-bit audio DAC - to deliver rich, immersive, and clear sound with an incredible 124dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Designed for enthusiast gamers, Strix Raid Pro and Strix Soar come with the high-performance ESS SABRE9006A DAC for pure, full-sounding audio with an impressive 116dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Low-dropout (LDO) regulators and Hi-Fi-grade Nichicon FineGold, Nichicon Muse, and German WIMA capacitors ensure optimized power delivery.

Strix Raid DLX, Strix Raid Pro, and Strix Soar each have a built-in 600-ohm headphone amplifier to drive a wide range of headphones and deliver clear, detailed sound with deep, tight bass.

Instant in-game audio adjustment with Raid Mode
Strix Raid Mode lets gamers with Strix Raid DLX and Strix Raid Pro sound cards save their favorite audio adjustments into custom presets that they can instantly turn on or off with the dedicated Raid button on the included soundcard audio control box. This powerful feature ensures gamers will never miss a single moment of gaming action by having to pause their game and open software to adjust their audio settings. The audio control box also has a convenient control knob that lets users adjust the volume and the Raid Mode intensity level, while also doubling as an output-selector button to switch between headphones and speakers.

Simple audio configuration with Sonic Studio
Strix Raid DLX, Strix Raid Pro, and Strix Soar sound cards come with Sonic Studio, the next-generation sound utility from ASUS that provides gamers complete control over their sound card's audio features. It features a beautiful, intuitive interface that groups a wide range of audio-adjustment functions together logically, making Sonic Studio both powerful and easy to use. Unlike typical audio utilities with multi-screen interfaces that make configuration complicated and time-consuming, Sonic Studio has an elegant all-in-one view that puts all the necessary controls on a single screen to make adjustments fast and easy for users.

The Sonic Studio interface groups key audio controls together based on function, making features easy to find and configuration error-free. The Audio Enhancement group features tools for fine-grained audio control, including an equalizer for adjusting the gain of specific frequencies, Bass Boost for deeper, more pronounced bass, Voice Clarity for making speech stand out more prominently in games and movies, and Compressor to adjust audio dynamic range. The Tuning group lets headphone listeners enable virtual surround-sound and configure the spaciousness of the effect using virtual adjustments of speaker placement and reverb. Finally, the Mic tuning group contains microphone configuration tools and features the Perfect Voice control. Designed for multiplayer gaming where communicating with teammates is especially important, Perfect Voice reduces background noise - such as keyboard and mouse clicks as well as people talking nearby - in speech signals to ensure clear, in-game voice communication.

Sonic Studio also includes controls for Sonic Radar Pro, a unique feature that precisely maps in-game sounds - such as footsteps and gunshots - and displays them on an on-screen overlay, so gamers can pinpoint their enemies for a competitive advantage in first-person shooters.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
Yes, yes, very nice, but what about now making actual drivers for your existsing soundcards for Windows 10?
(so we don't have to hack windows 8.1 drivers to work on windows 10 ... which works btw:
)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
All well and good bringing out new sound cards, but that's no use when they haven't updated their drivers in literally years for Xonar users...

Creative and Asus are both as bad as each other in terms of drivers. I still have to reset my audio to stereo from 5.1 in Windows 10. These mystical "August" drivers still haven't arrived yet.

They look nice and have nice specs, but EVERYONE is missing the point. All the bits and Hertzes with super duper capacitors are meaningless if 3D positioning engine is shite (and I bet they are still using the same C-Media audio chip as on Xonar ST/STX cards). And for the most part, it is shite. That's why Creative cards blew away any competition, because their 3D positioning was the best and still is the best. Slightly less since EAX isn't being used anymore, but I've seen the dramatic change when adjusting Surround slider for stereo audio in SBX panel.

Sonic Radar Pro improves things a bit, but I wonder for how much...

Also, pathetic driver support. Had Xonar STX and in all the time I had it they introduced 2 updates which made things worse, not better. When wanted to ask them what's going on I realized their support webpage doesn't erven have Soundcards/Audio category. I don't know how much it changed but their soundcard support is absolute garbage.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
They look nice and have nice specs, but EVERYONE is missing the point. All the bits and Hertzes with super duper capacitors are meaningless if 3D positioning engine is shite (and I bet they are still using the same C-Media audio chip as on Xonar ST/STX cards). And for the most part, it is shite. That's why Creative cards blew away any competition, because their 3D positioning was the best and still is the best. Slightly less since EAX isn't being used anymore, but I've seen the dramatic change when adjusting Surround slider for stereo audio in SBX panel.

Sonic Radar Pro improves things a bit, but I wonder for how much...

Also, pathetic driver support. Had Xonar STX and in all the time I had it they introduced 2 updates which made things worse, not better. When wanted to ask them what's going on I realized their support webpage doesn't erven have Soundcards/Audio category. I don't know how much it changed but their soundcard support is absolute garbage.

I've not had any trouble getting working drivers for Xonar cards for W7 and W8.1. Can't speak about earlier, you may be right, but in the last couple years they have driver downloads page for sound cards.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Creative because of the sound and better driver support (which is a far cry from their dismal days a few years ago when nothing got updated). It seems the two companies have switched positions slightly.

System Name Casual Movie Rig
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-Deluxe
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9
Video Card(s) None yet
Storage SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch | WD VelociRaptor 1TB SATA-III 10000 RPM 64MB
Display(s) BenQ Professional Gaming XL2430T 24 inch 1ms GTG black
Case NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Corsair AXi Digital AX860i
Software Windows 8.1 PRO 64bit English Retail
i hope real 7.1 and not driven with drivers.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Looks like they copied the Creative Soundblaster Zx. Volume control.

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
Looks like they copied the Creative Soundblaster Zx. Volume control.
Was this sarcasm? :D It's like apple with their retangular shape with rounded corners all over again.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I think it needs moar power, something like 2 x 6 pin connectors. :) I find Creative better though, never had problems with the drivers. Except for the bloatware they include sometimes.

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
<sarc>ASUS you have failed!!!! i expected the heavenly capacitors right from VATICAN!!!!</sarc>
not interested in your marketing KRAP, release the data sheet and be done with it.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
6-pin PCI-e connector on a soundcard, seriously? Well, I'm happy with my SB Recon3D PCIe, since this is similar to SB Z like Vista was to Win7.

Since this is a Strix product, is it silent on idle? :rolleyes:

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
6-pin PCI-e connector on a soundcard, seriously? Well, I'm happy with my SB Recon3D PCIe, since this is similar to SB Z like Vista was to Win7.

Since this is a Strix product, is it silent on idle? :rolleyes:
if i reckon, the recon3d chip isnt of spectacular quality. sbz should be qualitatively on a higher level. but regarding the silent mode on strix, thats a very relevant question.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Their driver support is extremely poor... If you decide to buy this; be warned, you might not get drivers in the future which will support your product, most Xonar users are completely screwed at the moment.

Why should we give you more money ASUS, if this is how you treat your customers?

Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ (2X16GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GTX1080ti Super JetStream 11GB
Storage Trandscend 370s 256GB / WD Caviar Black 2+1TB
Display(s) Acer XB270HU 144hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
Again? Even Creative doesn't release internal sound cards this frequent.

System Name Bruuuuuuuuuuul!!!
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme6
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 256GB (Windows) + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Games)
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Case AeroCool Tor Pro
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Zx
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Still running all fine at good framerates even 4k :)
All well and good bringing out new sound cards, but that's no use when they haven't updated their drivers in literally years for Xonar users...

Creative and Asus are both as bad as each other in terms of drivers. I still have to reset my audio to stereo from 5.1 in Windows 10. These mystical "August" drivers still haven't arrived yet.

Creative released Windows 10 drivers in August :)

http://support.creative.com/Product...SET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_21384,VARSET=CategoryID:1

cyaburg

Best driver support is still provided by Realtek. Sure it has no fancy fiddly settings like Creative or ASUS, but they release drivers like every 2 months or so. And they don't have uber high end audiophile stuf, they just make a "generic" cheap but still capable audio chip and prvide support for it.

Creative and ASUS use super high end audio chips and they can't provide stupid drivers on time. That's just pathetic. And I kinda get ASUS since they depend on others (though they could slap the authors to work faster), but Creative, Creative makes their very own stuff. Stop being so freaking lazy and properly support people who pay top money just to get good audio and then have lousy driver support. Things improve, but considering we pay like 5€ for the audio chip on motherboards and 100+ € for dedicated soundcards, they could do a better job.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
if i reckon, the recon3d chip isnt of spectacular quality. sbz should be qualitatively on a higher level.
But the sound chip is the same Core3D in Recon3D than in SB Z, SB Z is just a newer and better model. But I don't complain since I got this with only 20 euros. :)

Their driver support is extremely poor... If you decide to buy this; be warned, you might not get drivers in the future which will support your product, most Xonar users are completely screwed at the moment.

Why should we give you more money ASUS, if this is how you treat your customers?

Couldn't agree more. On X99 vast majority of boards Xonars simply don't work - no matter what driver pack you get. World-wide infamous Asus support. First time in 20 years was forced to use on-board sound and it's terrible experience.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
On X99 vast majority of boards Xonars simply don't work

Didn't know that, thanks for the info. The board hates PLX converters I guess... I hate them too actually :D.

And Creative game me a shocker... They really did give us the driver in time... even for old X-Fi... and it works... yes it has few bugs... but Asus tops the charts with bugs now, they really have problems with sample rate switching and WASAPI

The problem is that Asus itself doesn't write the driver but CMEDIA... soo no wonders there they simply can't answer...