• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lian Li Introduces the PC-Q21 Series PC Chassis

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Lian-Li Industrial Co. Ltd announces the PC-Q21 Mini Tower Chassis for Mini-ITX systems. This compact chassis tucks a full computer into a small box. The slot-load slim ODD bay at the top gives legacy optical drives a cool home or holds a modern SSD. There are two PCI expansion slots and more room under them than in previous models. This lets in more air, and accommodates a very flexible bottom-mounted drive sled. Even the front has space enough for a full 2.5" drive or a 3.5" drive with shorter graphics cards.

The small size of the PC-Q21 is its biggest feature, but that does not mean it compromised on space or its number of mountings. It can be a challenge to fit everything you need into a case this small, but the PC-Q21 still presents many possible configurations. The top ODD bay can hold a slim, slot-load DVD drive or an SSD in addition to the total of three internal drives listed. The bottom rack holds two 2.5" drives or can be removed for three different options: a full 3.5" drive, a 120mm fan, or to provide extra room for an oversized, up to two-slot graphics card. The front wall also has holes drilled with an adjustable brace for hanging a 2.5" or 3.5" drive.

The PC-Q21 is a solidly-built cuboid. Its pop-off doors are secure yet easy to remove when you need access. Drives are secured in several optional places. The ODD bay opening is thin yet comes with a cover for when not in use. The rubber feet and air filter keep it safe from floor or desk dangers. Even the PCI expansion slots come with thick sturdy vent covers for extra protection if you opt not to use one or both.

The PC-Q21 maximizes its available space to fit a full Mini-ATX system. It takes planning and some finger flexibility fit everything inside, but it can store a lot. The key to the PC-Q21 is its modularity - it can be built in layers. There are mountings for drives on the top, front, and bottom. The bottom drive cage can be removed for extra room, or remain for extra storage. It can fit a 120mm fan on the bottom, but most of its cooling comes from the CPU and PSU fans drawing air into the center and exhausting out the back. The case can be picked up easily and it does not take up a lot of room on your desk, saving you more room.

Price and Availability
The PC-Q21 will be available in the USA in early September for the MSRP of USD 74.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Aesthetics wise, Lian Li wins it all. You can easily toss this case into a living room and no one will know it's a PC. Maybe they could use USB hatch, but still, it looks really nice. I've ha dmy former Lian Li PC-V354 Black in a living room for a while and despite the size, it basically merged with the living room

Why does Lian-Li need 26 different M-ITX cases?

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
this looks actually very compact indeed (by looks). calculating from Lian-li home page - outer dimension data - it says it only takes space of 8.5 liters volume (so - must be a typo - that is like 25% below the very small silvesrstone Sugo SG05 mITX case... or we have something very special here :O). can someone confirm those outer dimesions? (funny that in PR release about one of smallest cases - noone mentions - the dimensions).

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64

Because at the general meeting each week, the report has to be peppered with the word "innovation", so that investors can feel better that the company is developing ;) And to prove it they need to show how many different cases has been "innovated" in the last fiscal quarter. ;) I am just partly joking/ partly guessing.

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
this looks actually very compact indeed (by looks). calculating from Lian-li home page - outer dimension data - it says it only takes space of 8.5 liters volume (so - must be a typo - that is like 25% below the very small silvesrstone Sugo SG05 mITX case... or we have something very special here :O). can someone confirm those outer dimesions? (funny that in PR release about one of smallest cases - noone mentions - the dimensions).

This lian li psu use an sfx one rather than the silverstone which is an atx on. You can save a lot of space with an sfx psu! This lian li case is perfect! I was thinking of using jonsbo v2 which is at 6.8 liters but it have no pcie slot and it also uses sfx psu.

This lian li even have a cd drive!

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Overall, I like the case design, but the lack of cooling concerns me. The only place for a fan is at the bottom of the case. If you put a drive there, then no fan. You can't put a fan on either side panel (if there was a grill for it) because the motherboard blocks the right side and the power supply blocks the left. Plus, there's no way for the power supply to pull cool air from the outside (no grill for it in the side panel). :(

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
Overall, I like the case design, but the lack of cooling concerns me. The only place for a fan is at the bottom of the case. If you put a drive there, then no fan. You can't put a fan on either side panel (if there was a grill for it) because the motherboard blocks the right side and the power supply blocks the left. Plus, there's no way for the power supply to pull cool air from the outside (no grill for it in the side panel). :(

Sad that a nice case like this we have to drill holes to mount a fan. I don't know why it is a shortcoming of a lot of aluminium cases. I guess it is so it would not take the aesthetic away with having many holes on the case.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro

To allow us to choose the right one for the situation/preferences at hand. The new PC-Q21 is nice, however, I prefer the PC-Q01 I bought last week.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Simple rule of modern marketing. Each new product gets a press release. Gets column inches and reviews on websites like this, ranks the websearches, promotes the brand, free marketing. Get used to it :(

Rare that Lian-Li updates existing chassis. I put together a PC-Q02 for the kids, and it's been great. Both the PC-Q20 and the PC-Q21 build on that design. Both are definite improvements as they open up for a discrete graphics card, and the PC-Q21 having a fan vent with removable dust filter. I might get one for myself this time.