• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Zen Features Double the Per-core Number Crunching Machinery to Predecessor

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
You're veteran here and for sure you know what you are saying.
Obviously there were improvement and new instruction sets but they were underwhelming in current applications to say the least.

Of course Intel will still have the performance crown for a long time from now on as they have strong Enthusiast parts, but that is not the mainstream market. The mainstream market is formed by the i3, i5 and i7 non E series.

If anyone, can produce a competitive product here then they are in business, and intel in this area was pretty much sleeping over the years. You said it yourself in those long posts, ivy was die shrink, haswell brought very good power consumption, broadwell its a different beast but I'd exclude as it has expensive edram, and its mostly a very expensive GPU with CPU cores, good for laptops ... but not very viable in my opinion from cost perspective for desktop. Lake mostly die shrink ... again a bit underwhelming.

I found an article which compares different generation performance at same clock also.
It doesn't include the latest architecture though, but it is focused on gaming, which is basically the reason for which most of the people buy these processors, otherwise for browsing or office even the atom is good. If you think is too extreme, fine go with an i3.

See here: http://wccftech.com/intel-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-haswell-graphics-compared-10-difference-average/

I put them in a table also, and compared similar products:

Lowest details i7 2600K @4.5 i7 4770K @4.5 % increase
Crysis 3 91 93 2%
Black Ops 2 355.4 382.8 8%
Bioshock 243.2 265.9 9%
Battlefield 3 199.8 200 0%
Unigine Heaven 4243 4280 1%
Firestrike 7292 7466 2%

Average: 4%

This increase you will probably get by just shrinking the original sandy without any architecture change. Maybe things will change once the new instructions sets will start to be used ... but if they are not supported by most of the computers in use, they will mostly be scattered optimizations in one app or another.

So yes, if anybody can get sandy level performance, good clocks and reasonable power consumption they are back in business.

Those tests are only looking at graphics. Here's a more complete set: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/05/intel_skylake_core_i76700k_ipc_overclocking_review/4
You'll see gains in synthetic performance and mostly encoding and rendering. Other things are in the same ballpark as Sandy Bridge.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
It takes at least a year to produce a new processor including design from an existing microarchitecture to prototyping to mass production. If AMD put out a processor that beats 6700K (in today's terms) for $300, Intel couldn't respond with a competitive product for a year. Even assuming they already did prototyping and have a design ready for mass production the shelves, AMD could still get a several month long window to grab market share.

Intel's immediate response would probably be cutting prices across the board which likely moves LGA 2011 into mainstream prices. As I said in the post, a shocker from AMD could turn LGA 1151 into a budget socket overnight and LGA 2011 into mainstream.

Not sure if it would take a year for intel, but so if it did i bet all current chips would drop in price to discourage people from buying other than theirs.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Guys, back in the Prescott times Intel had no problems more power hungry slower yet more expensive P4's over Athlon64's, why would it have any problems with Zen?

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
So yes, if anybody can get sandy level performance, good clocks and reasonable power consumption they are back in business.
The thing is you can't just consider gaming performance. SKL is a good 20-30% faster in CPU bound applications... In fact, the FX CPUs still make decent gaming machines, as long as you are not pushing for very high framerates in certain games, but the fact that they are now lagging behind intel in overall performance is the killer, especially considering they are 100-200w parts.

SB level performance on a per core basis will be acceptable, assuming the power envelope for a quad core is around the same or lower than SKL, but they will need to be pushing at least 8 core parts and should consider 24-32 pcie lanes for higher end GPU setups.

Also, they need to be considering at least triple channel memory, especially if they want to put the APUs in the same socket, otherwise there will be 0 reason to not go with an intel part and dGPU. That said, intel should also be considering the same if they want to push their iGPU market forward. And this is all on top of the things skylake already brings to the table as far as chipset connectivity

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
That sounds like Intel in the P4-Pentium D era. :rolleyes: :D

Bulldozewr has been AMD's NetBurst

It would have made sense on 6700K. Even so, we don't see 6 core Xeons on LGA 15## either.

Never gonna happen on the mainstream chip. It's just too good a place to crush the low-end nVidia/AMD cards. Remember, the 6700K is just an unlocked 6700/E3-1275v5 (whenever that comes out), which are both quite popular in business settings (partly because of the quite decent iGPU). It's also the same core as shared with all other quad-core CPUs, with some cache and HT sliced off for the i5 variants.

We are close to the end of the line with IPC improvements for Intel or AMD, the rest will come through process, cache, and instruction set/hardware support. We are close to the end of the line with Silicon in the high performance categories. We can slap more cores in, more sockets, more memory. But the next big thing is either going to be quantum computing, or photon based.

Pretty much

Only thing that AMD will mess up is the way how mainstream and enthusiast is now separated. Because if Intel will have to bump mainstream up quickly, it means they'll have to bump up enthusiast as well, otherwise they'll make them equal which means they'll sell less of the more expensive enthusiast platforms and CPU's. But that's good as far as consumers go, assuming the prices stay low...

Been calling that since the Broadwell rumour days. KBL or CNL is when that will happen I think.

It takes at least a year to produce a new processor including design from an existing microarchitecture to prototyping to mass production. If AMD put out a processor that beats 6700K (in today's terms) for $300, Intel couldn't respond with a competitive product for a year. Even assuming they already did prototyping and have a design ready for mass production the shelves, AMD could still get a several month long window to grab market share.

Intel's immediate response would probably be cutting prices across the board which likely moves LGA 2011 into mainstream prices. As I said in the post, a shocker from AMD could turn LGA 1151 into a budget socket overnight and LGA 2011 into mainstream.

They probably already have 6-core LGA115x variants internally validated (or nearing validation) and ready to go (I know I would with the rumours currently flying). Based on how close the E launch has been with the EP launch, it looks like most of the extra time needed for E/EP/EX chips is validation in multi-CPU and PCIe validation (based on how everything from quads to 18-core chips launch at the same time), both of which are not needed on LGA115x..

Not sure if it would take a year for intel, but so if it did i bet all current chips would drop in price to discourage people from buying other than theirs.

Some reshuffling of the lineup: increased core counts on i7, HT on i5.

Guys, back in the Prescott times Intel had no problems more power hungry slower yet more expensive P4's over Athlon64's, why would it have any problems with Zen?

Intel had to resort to some seriously scummy anti-competitive tactics back then, got sued by AMD, AMD won, and proceeded to wreck Intel the server space with their way better Opterons. Intel seems determined not to get back into a similar situation ever again.

The thing is you can't just consider gaming performance. SKL is a good 20-30% faster in CPU bound applications... In fact, the FX CPUs still make decent gaming machines, as long as you are not pushing for very high framerates in certain games, but the fact that they are now lagging behind intel in overall performance is the killer, especially considering they are 100-200w parts.

SB level performance on a per core basis will be acceptable, assuming the power envelope for a quad core is around the same or lower than SKL, but they will need to be pushing at least 8 core parts and should consider 24-32 pcie lanes for higher end GPU setups.

Also, they need to be considering at least triple channel memory, especially if they want to put the APUs in the same socket, otherwise there will be 0 reason to not go with an intel part and dGPU. That said, intel should also be considering the same if they want to push their iGPU market forward. And this is all on top of the things skylake already brings to the table as far as chipset connectivity

AMD already has quad-channel memory on their high-end Opterons. What they really need to do is move the PCIe controller into the CPU and turn HyperTransport up to 11 in order to make cross-CPU PCIe access not crap in order to match what Intel is doing on LGA2011.

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
AMD already has quad-channel memory on their high-end Opterons. What they really need to do is move the PCIe controller into the CPU and turn HyperTransport up to 11 in order to make cross-CPU PCIe access not crap in order to match what Intel is doing on LGA2011.
I'm pretty sure they will have an integrated PCIe controller, especially since they want to have the same socket for both the normal CPUs and APUs. Opterons have no influence on the consumer market, even less than intels high end Xeons.

HyperTransport is essentially the equivalent to DMI when AMD moves to an integrated northbridge (memory/PCIe controller) so to accommodate the faster chipset interfaces (PCIe3/SATAe/M.2, high sata 6g count, USB3.1, etc) they will NEED to make improvements there.

As far as it can be known AMD will release Zen on 14nm (GloFo) or 16nm (TSMC) FinFET technology.

By the way you are right when you say you'd compare Zen to SB. If Zen reaches SB's performance level I would say well done!

Based on my own Cinebench R15 single thread results calculations, SB has app. 45-50% more IPC than Piledriver/Steamroller and ~30% more than K10. (See how bad is the Bulldozer family?) So reaching SB's performance level would be a great leap forward.

Another question is that it'd be still behind Intel's actual performance level.
Cinebench is an Intel-centric benchmark as far as I know because it emphasizes FP.

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
I'm pretty sure they will have an integrated PCIe controller, especially since they want to have the same socket for both the normal CPUs and APUs. Opterons have no influence on the consumer market, even less than intels high end Xeons.

Err.. wat? Do you not remember the good old S940 Athlon FX chips? Those were straight up binned Opteron chips, down to requiring ECC FB-DIMMs on consumer boards. Single-CPU Opteron platforms also share the same socket as desktop Opterons (AM3+ right now). You need to go up to multi-socket server before Socket C32 and Socket G34 come into play. They also reuse Socket FT3 (BGA relative to AM1) for the APU-based server chips.

HyperTransport is essentially the equivalent to DMI when AMD moves to an integrated northbridge (memory/PCIe controller) so to accommodate the faster chipset interfaces (PCIe3/SATAe/M.2, high sata 6g count, USB3.1, etc) they will NEED to make improvements there.

No. AMD so far has only moved the memory controller to the CPU on the big cores, much like LGA1366 Nehalem/Westmere from Intel. This results in HyperTransport being used to do inter-CPU communication and CPU-NorthBridge communication, with a seperate SouthBridge. HyperTransport is really much closer to QPI than DMI.

Of course, the APUs have been updated much more frequently, and have over time had the PCIe controller integrated into the CPU. Rumours say that they want to integrate the SouthBridge too at some point, which would be quite fun to see.

The DMI equivalent on AMD's side would be A-Link Express or UMI, basically a tweaked PCIe 4x interface.

Cinebench is an Intel-centric benchmark as far as I know because it emphasizes FP.

There's no Intel preference, just that AMD didn't put in as much FP hardware in Bulldozer (based on the bet that basically everyone would port FP code to GPUs). If you compare a 6-core Thuban to a 6-core Bulldozer, The older Thuban core beats the Bulldozer in Cinebench MT.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Intel had to resort to some seriously scummy anti-competitive tactics back then, got sued by AMD, AMD won, and proceeded to wreck Intel the server space with their way better Opterons. Intel seems determined not to get back into a similar situation ever again.

Opteron never went beyond 12% of the market share. (despite all the cheaper/cooler/faster)
Intel has not been defeated in court, they've merely settled for 1 billion $. (a laughable sum, compared to the damage done)

There was hardly anything new as far as anti-competitive practices go in times of Prescott, AMD had the same problems prior to that.

Neither did nVidia lose much of the market share, despite Fermi fiasco.

PS
On a side note. Does any AMD CPU beat i5 750 (a 45nm product) IPC wise? Or have something with comparable performance but better perf/watt?

Intel went from 5% to over 25% in a matter of 2 years from K8. By 2007 though, Core 65nm (Conroe) was ready, so that's where it stalled and Intel took the crown back.

Fermi succeeded despite it's issues because of CUDA, even though nVidia lost a solid 10% marketshare (thanks to dbz over from beyond3d). In comparison, AMD's Stream API was hopeless, and OpenCL was just a pipe dream

On the i7-750, the FX-8150 beats it in some places, and loses out in others. An FX-8350 in comparison is either neck and neck or faster

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
AMD went from 12% to 25% (more than I thought) but still rather a modest change, considering that we are talking about product that was better on all fronts.

CUDA argument is laughable.

As a bottom line, we see slower more expensive more power hungry products by AMD competitors only mildly affect the market share (10%-ish swing, if at all) while AMD losing one of the points can lead to it's market share to be cut in half, this looks particularly bad in graphic cards market, where AMD has more than competitive products.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
AMD's Stream API was hopeless, and OpenCL was just a pipe dream
OpenCL is not a pipe dream, it's a tool for a very special group of problems. The issue is that OpenCL is only helpful in a handful of situations where mass parallel processing on large data sets is advantageous. You think making applications multi-threaded is hard? Imagine having only parallel compute at your disposal and that's what OpenCL basically is. One doesn't tend to just write any application using OpenCL, it tends to compliment other applications that aren't OpenCL, not stand out on its own. Just wanted to point that out. You use the right tool the right job. You don't go writing real time applications in PHP and you don't to write web applications in C (cgi-bin). You use the right tool for the right job.

What is a pipe dream is AMD thinking that they could make a pipeline as long as Netburst but not encounter the same problems as Netburst. That's what I call a pipe dream.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
That's it. I am seriously going to talk with my Broker.

Zen, could make or break my investment future. Or, Not. I figure 1 to 2 Hundred of investment, now, could be a big deal or a minor loss.

Putting it on my Monday Calendar. I am gonna Bank on the new Zen chip. There's just too much to possibly lose, not doing it!

:toast:

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
I would love AMD to take a good look a comparable ShadowPlay esq feature. It's been the only way(outside of a 1,000US investment in a 4k external capture system) to record in 4k for most games.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
I believe they already have that.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
AMD has two battles to fight. The biggest one isn't whether Zen is a good performer compared to whatever Intel has in the battle chest to counter Zen if it's strong. The biggest battle they have to fight is getting their chips in the Computer Manufacturer's PCs at a decent profit. It does little good for AMD to have great chips if they can't sell them at a decent profit.

http://www.investopedia.com/stock-a...oblems-facing-advanced-micro-devices-amd.aspx

"AMD competes with Intel in PC and server processors but has been bleeding share in both markets. In servers, AMD won as high as 25% market share in 2006, making it a major player in the industry. Today, AMD is essentially nonexistent in the segment, claiming a low single-digit share. Meanwhile, Intel has built a near-monopoly, allowing it to charge high prices and extract extremely high margins.

In PCs, the story is much the same. Intel has continued to steal market share from AMD, especially at the low end with its Atom chips, despite already controlling most of the segment. During the second quarter of 2014, Intel generated nearly 95% of PC processor revenue, shipping 84% of all desktop processors and 88% of all laptop processors."

The PC market continues to shrink as well. I read a report that that may change around 2019 as emerging markets come online but that is just speculation for now.

There's no Intel preference, just that AMD didn't put in as much FP hardware in Bulldozer...
There are other benchmarks that don't emphasize FP so much. Just using Cinebench to compare processors is questionable.

I am old enough to know that whatever numbers they are throwing must be taken with a mountain of salt, especially given their past track record.

I will hold my judgement until I actually see this thing rolling.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I am old enough to know that whatever numbers they are throwing must be taken with a mountain of salt, especially given their past track record.

I will hold my judgement until I actually see this thing rolling.
One might question why this even made it into the public space. Given rumors of sales/merger/breakup, this sort of info is truly only useful to investors or those looking to purchase AMD.

Israsuke

Good for AMD! So does that mean, Zen won't be an eight-core? More like a quad-cores with large modules? I feel a slight letdown, again good for AMD, if not they will go broke.

I was hoping an eight core that performs what bulldozer should have been from the start. A real eight-core at a decent price. If Zen gets close to the performance of Skylake or cannonlake, I won't be upgrading my 3770k, especially with prices of DDR4. It feels CPU technology has been void and stuck for the last 5 years on performance and speed.

I do a lot of editing and buying an eight-core from Intel feels like a rip off, really a 1000 dollars for a chip? what is it made of pixie dust? Hope AMD gets the market stable on the price, but that also means I'll be waiting at least 2 or 3 years to have a eight-core at a good price, like the rest of us.

Agreed on Stream (it was destined to die), but I think you are massively underestimating the market penetration of OpenCL.

OpenCL is not a pipe dream, it's a tool for a very special group of problems. The issue is that OpenCL is only helpful in a handful of situations where mass parallel processing on large data sets is advantageous. You think making applications multi-threaded is hard? Imagine having only parallel compute at your disposal and that's what OpenCL basically is. One doesn't tend to just write any application using OpenCL, it tends to compliment other applications that aren't OpenCL, not stand out on its own. Just wanted to point that out. You use the right tool the right job. You don't go writing real time applications in PHP and you don't to write web applications in C (cgi-bin). You use the right tool for the right job.

What is a pipe dream is AMD thinking that they could make a pipeline as long as Netburst but not encounter the same problems as Netburst. That's what I call a pipe dream.

At the time OpenCL was a pipe dream. Nowadays the story is very different.

I would love AMD to take a good look a comparable ShadowPlay esq feature. It's been the only way(outside of a 1,000US investment in a 4k external capture system) to record in 4k for most games.

Gaming Evolved

There are other benchmarks that don't emphasize FP so much. Just using Cinebench to compare processors is questionable.

Of course not, that's why I linked two comparisons of a range of benchmarks, where we find that AMD loses where FP is involved (Video/Image processing, Monte Carlo for example), but wins at integer (7-zip file compression for example).

Good for AMD! So does that mean, Zen won't be an eight-core? More like a quad-cores with large modules? I feel a slight letdown, again good for AMD, if not they will go broke.

I was hoping an eight core that performs what bulldozer should have been from the start. A real eight-core at a decent price. If Zen gets close to the performance of Skylake or cannonlake, I won't be upgrading my 3770k, especially with prices of DDR4. It feels CPU technology has been void and stuck for the last 5 years on performance and speed.

I do a lot of editing and buying an eight-core from Intel feels like a rip off, really a 1000 dollars for a chip? what is it made of pixie dust? Hope AMD gets the market stable on the price, but that also means I'll be waiting at least 2 or 3 years to have a eight-core at a good price, like the rest of us.

Haha, thinking $1000 is expensive.. how cute. A mid-range Xeon is closer to around $2500 nowadays, with the top-end ones cracking $6000

Intel charges what they want because they can, and thanks to mainstream desktop not needing more than 4 cores without HT, there just isn't enough demand for more cores on LGA115x for Intel to move it's slow ass and raise core counts. When they increse the core count again, I have a strong feeling that unlike 1->2 cores or 2->4cores, the performance boost of 4->6 or 4->8 will take a lot longer to materialize for most, if at all.

On the other end of the spectrum, more and more stuff wants a good GPU, and the popularity of phones and tablets demand ever more GPU to smooth animations as far as possible, so the iGPU keeps getting improved.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
Gaming evolved SUCKS.