• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Updates iMac Family with Stunning New Retina Displays

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apple today updated the entire iMac family, bringing a stunning new Retina 4K display to the 21.5-inch iMac for the first time and the Retina 5K display to every 27-inch iMac. The new Retina displays make photos and videos more immersive and true-to-life thanks to a wider color gamut and spectacular image quality. The updated iMacs also feature more powerful processors and graphics, two Thunderbolt 2 ports and new storage options that make the high-performance Fusion Drive even more affordable.

Apple today also introduced a new lineup of wireless accessories including the all-new Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2. The Magic devices have been redesigned to feel more comfortable than ever, and feature rechargeable batteries that completely eliminate the need for disposable batteries. The new Magic Trackpad 2 also brings Apple's revolutionary Force Touch interface to the desktop, adding a new dimension to the iMac experience.

"From the first iMac to today, the spirit of iMac has never wavered - deliver the ultimate desktop experience with the latest technologies, gorgeous displays and cutting-edge designs," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "These are the most stunning iMacs we've ever made. With our gorgeous new Retina displays, more powerful processors and graphics and all-new Magic accessories, the new iMac continues to redefine the ultimate desktop experience."

With Retina display, text appears sharper than ever, videos are unbelievably lifelike and you can see new levels of detail in your photos. The 21.5-inch iMac is available with the all-new Retina 4K display featuring an amazing 4096 x 2304 resolution and 9.4 million pixels, 4.5 times more than the standard 21.5-inch iMac display. Every 27-inch iMac features a Retina 5K display, the world's highest resolution all-in-one display with a stunning 14.7 million pixels, 7 times more pixels than an HD display. With a Retina display now on the 21.5-inch iMac and every 27-inch iMac, iMac with Retina display is more affordable than ever.

The new Retina displays feature a wider color gamut that brings more brilliant and true-to-life colors to your desktop. With standard sRGB-based displays, many of the colors you see in real life never make it to your screen. The new Retina 5K and 4K displays feature a wider P3-based color gamut that provides a 25 percent larger color space, and with more available colors, images are more vivid, reveal even greater detail and appear more lifelike than ever.

Faster and more powerful than ever, the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display now comes with sixth-generation Intel Core processors and the latest AMD high-performance graphics that deliver up to 3.7 teraflops of compute power. The new 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display features a fifth-generation Intel Core processor and enhanced Intel Iris Pro Graphics. Two Thunderbolt 2 ports now come standard on all iMacs and deliver up to 20Gbps data transfer speeds for external drives and high-performance peripherals. And three stream 802.11ac Wi-Fi allows iMac to support up to 1.3Gbps wireless networking.

Fusion Drive combines the large storage capacity of a hard drive with the high performance of flash to deliver shorter boot times and faster access to apps and files. Fusion Drive works in conjunction with OS X to adapt to the way you use your iMac and automatically moves the files and apps you use most often to flash storage. The incredible performance of Fusion Drive is now more affordable with a new, lower-priced configuration that pairs a 1TB hard drive with 24GB of fast flash. Fusion Drive is also available with 2TB and 3TB configurations with 128GB of fast flash for more demanding workloads. For the ultimate in storage performance, optional all flash storage is available up to 1TB and is now up to 2.5 times faster.

The all-new Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 are more comfortable, capable and environmentally friendly. Designed around a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery, all three accessories eliminate the need for disposable batteries and feature a noticeably more solid internal structure and quality feel. The new Magic Keyboard features a full-size keyboard in a sleek new design that takes up 13 percent less space on your desktop. With a new scissor mechanism and lower profile, the Magic Keyboard provides an incredibly stable, precise and comfortable typing experience. The new Magic Mouse 2 is lighter, sturdier and features an optimized foot design for a smoother glide. The new Magic Trackpad 2 features a 29 percent larger surface and brings Force Touch to the desktop for the first time. Force Touch enables a range of new ways to interact with your Mac, including the new Force click to quickly look up a word, preview a file or bring up a map from an address. The new Magic devices pair instantly with your Mac as soon as they are plugged in via the Lightning-to-USB charging cable, and can last about a month or more on a full charge.***

Every new Mac comes with OS X El Capitan, the latest version of OS X that refines the Mac experience and improves system performance. El Capitan builds on the groundbreaking features and beautiful design of OS X Yosemite, with updates to window management, built-in apps and Spotlight search, and performance improvements to make everyday activities - like launching and switching apps, opening PDFs and accessing email - faster and more responsive. El Capitan was specifically designed for the Retina display and features a new system font called San Francisco that has been fine-tuned for optimal readability on a Retina display.

iMovie, GarageBand and the suite of iWork apps come free with every new iMac. iMovie, updated today to support 4K video, lets you easily create beautiful movies, and you can use GarageBand to make new music or learn to play piano or guitar. The iWork suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote makes it easy to create, edit and share stunning documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Pages, Numbers and Keynote for iCloud let you create a document on iPhone or iPad, edit it on your Mac and collaborate with friends, even if they are on a PC.

Pricing & Availability
The 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display is available today at Apple.com, Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. The 27-inch iMac comes in three models starting at $1,799 (US), $1,999 (US) and $2,299 (US).

The 21.5-inch iMac is available today at Apple.com, Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. The 21.5-inch iMac is available in three models starting at $1,099 (US) and $1,299 (US) and with a Retina 4K display starting at $1,499 (US).

Every new iMac comes standard with the new Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2, and customers can order the new Magic Trackpad 2 as an option. The new Magic accessories are also available at Apple.com, Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. Magic Keyboard is available starting today for $99 (US). Magic Mouse 2 is available starting today for $79 (US). And the Magic Trackpad 2 is available starting today for $129 (US).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
Just to add some needed info on the GPU:

21" 4K iMac: Intel Iris 6000/Iris Pro 6200
27" 5K iMac: 2GB AMD R9 M380/2GB R9 M395/4GB R9 M395X

And I would like to add, absolutely stunning!!

:toast:

What is the point of 4K or 5K with Intel GPU? and 4K on 21.5 isn't that little overkill. if you want to pay this much of money be smart and buy Surface Book. And if you want to look like business man go buy X1 Carbon . Else buy the hardcore choice MSI GT70.

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
What is the point of 4K or 5K with Intel GPU? and 4K on 21.5 isn't that little overkill. if you want to pay this much of money be smart and buy Surface Book. And if you want to look like business man go buy X1 Carbon . Else buy the hardcore choice MSI GT70.

Because most people who buy an iMac are not hardcore gamers. They simply want a fast an all-in-one desktop with killer looks, a display that is large with great colour and resolution. An Iris 6000 is more than enough to do image, video, sound editing or every day tasks for home users and semi-pros.

Besides, if people have money to burn and need to game on an AMD powered iMac the R9 3XX does a pretty good job (see Linus's iMac Retina review playing Crisis 3 on the last gen AMD R9 hardware).

Then go with surface book. And to burn money buy two 980Ti or Fury X with Core i7 5930k. And play Far cry 4 or metal gear solid.

Last edited:
Processor i5 750 4.2ghz 1.4V
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 2X2G Gskill @2140 8-11-8-28-1T
Video Card(s) 2xGainward Phantom3 570@860/4200
Storage 2xWD 500G AAKS Raid0 + 2XWD 1T Green in Raid0
Display(s) 24" HP w2408h+23" HP w2338h
Case SilverStone Raven2E-B
Audio Device(s) onboard for now
Power Supply Antec 1000W Truepower quattro
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Because most people who buy an iMac are not hardcore gamers. They simply want a fast an all-in-one desktop with killer looks, a display that is large with great colour and resolution. An Iris 6000 is more than enough to do image, video, sound editing or every day tasks for home users and semi-pros.

Besides, if people have money to burn and need to game on an AMD powered iMac the R9 3XX does a pretty good job (see Linus's iMac Retina review playing Crisis 3 on the last gen AMD R9 hardware).

I found the 21.5'' bit small and I doubt Iris 6000 is 'more than enough' for editing, everyday tasks sure.

My partner and I are in the market for an all-in-one or something like the new surface pro and I have been waiting for apple to refresh their Imac line but this is little disappointing, no new design for quite a few years now, 4K on 21.5'' is rather pointless, and the pricing in AUD are not appealing/competitive at all.

I would definitely go with the new Surface Pro but I really don't want to spend time to convince my partner. She complains about how slow her macbook pro is but still prefers a slow 1.6ghz i5 Imac over anything else :banghead:.

Last edited:
I found the 21.5'' bit small and I double Iris 6000 is 'more than enough' for editing, everyday tasks sure.

My partner and I are in the market for an all-in-one or something like the new surface pro and I have been waiting for apple to refresh their Imac line but this is little disappointing, no new design for quite a few years now, 4K on 21.5'' is rather pointless, and the pricing in AUD are not appealing/competitive at all.

I would definitely go with the new Surface Pro but I really don't want to spend time to convince my partner. She complains about how slow her macbook pro is but still prefers a slow 1.6ghz i5 Imac over anything else :banghead:.
MSI has gaming AIO , means strong CPU and powerful graphics. And you can buy systems like ASUS G20 or MSI MI2 with 27" 4k and price still better than 4k 21.5" iMac.

Cooling Corsair H70
MSI has gaming AIO , means strong CPU and powerful graphics. And you can buy systems like ASUS G20 or MSI MI2 with 27" 4k and price still better than 4k 21.5" iMac.

Thanks mate, I have a custom built PC andXbox one for gaming, and my partner hardly games at all, this one will be primarily use for photo/film editing, everyday shit and her homework lol...

I'm not too fond of the designs of MSI/ASUS gaming lines, but I agree they are far better choices than the iMac (but my opinion doesn't matter..)

Some people think that the
Thanks mate, I have a custom built PC andXbox one for gaming, and my partner hardly games at all, this one will be primarily use for photo/film editing, everyday shit and her homework lol...

I'm not too fond of the designs of MSI/ASUS gaming lines, but I agree they are far better choices than the iMac (but my opinion doesn't matter..)
Some people think that the sun is rising from behind the Apple Tree maybe they are right ( hopefully not).
I don't know what you have against MSI/ASUS but I find their designs in the past couple years interesting.

Cooling Corsair H70
Some people think that the
Some people think that the sun is rising from behind the Apple Tree maybe they are right ( hopefully not).
I don't know what you have against MSI/ASUS but I find their designs in the past couple years interesting.
Nothing against MSI/ASUS, gaming designs look too boy and she wants a girly one.

Nothing against MSI/ASUS, gaming designs look too boy and she wants a girly one.
I do agree that MSI/Asus's designs with black and red scheme look like battle gear and definitely not for normal girl ( lan party girls will kill for one)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
What is the % Net Profit for those iMacs, does anyone knows? :)