• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Godlike double posting when cold normal?

Hi,

I've been playing around with the MSI Godlike x99a motherboard and noticed that when I turn it on cold it will display a few bios led status codes for 2-3 seconds and then shut off at led code 33 for a second and then turn on and boot into windows like nothing ever happened. After that I can reboot into windows over and over again nonstop without delays. I tested the same minimal parts of ram, cpu, vid card, and usb keyboard and mouse on other msi x99s motherboard and had no issues. Tried installing the cpu twice in matter of fact. No bent pins or anything. Should I be worried?

Thanks

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sounds like dodgy hardware to me. Temperature sensitivity is a dead giveaway.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi,

I've been playing around with the MSI Godlike x99a motherboard and noticed that when I turn it on cold it will display a few bios led status codes for 2-3 seconds and then shut off at led code 33 for a second and then turn on and boot into windows like nothing ever happened. After that I can reboot into windows over and over again nonstop without delays. I tested the same minimal parts of ram, cpu, vid card, and usb keyboard and mouse on other msi x99s motherboard and had no issues. Tried installing the cpu twice in matter of fact. No bent pins or anything. Should I be worried?

Thanks

It's either memory re-training( you might need to boost vccsa), or you have a BCLK OC(board boots with default bclk, then swaps to whatever divider you have chosen), or something else is amiss.

Sounds like dodgy hardware to me. Temperature sensitivity is a dead giveaway.
I am pretty sure he's not talking about temperature. Cold means not a restart.reboot, it means from power off.

It's either memory re-training( you might need to boost vccsa), or you have a BCLK OC(board boots with default bclk, then swaps to whatever divider you have chosen), or something else is amiss.

I am pretty sure he's not talking about temperature. Cold means not a restart.reboot, it means from power off.

Well LED code 33 refers to "CPU post‐memory initialization. Cache initialization". Been trying to decipher that code and what it means and I agree with you something is amiss. This happens with stock default optimized bios settings. I think its because MSI hasn't worked out the bios fully to be compatible with all memory modules as mine is a 1.35v kit. The fact that the X99S Gaming 9 ACK posts fine makes me think its either dodgy hardware like he said or some peculiar behavior of the bios that needs to be worked out. I'll figure it out.

Also wasn't talking about temperature but from a power off all capacitors decharged state.

Thanks

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
It's not an error, just a debug state --"Early CPU Initialization". If it's only on cold boot, it may be changing cache multiplier and rebooting. Are you running non-stock multipliers?

I am but this will happen even when I set everything to auto after resetting cmos. Its got to be the bios. Just loving beta testing cutting edge hardware.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, the BIOS is likely a bit rough on the edges for some ram kits, and you've got one of those kits. What kit are you running?

XMP enabled?

OR have you tried just setting primary timings and voltage?

Have you tried one of the MemoryTryIt! profiles?

MSI never sent me this board, so I am unsure of exact issues that might be present, but you might have noted that my first thought was memory training, and the POST code kind of agrees, too. If it does the double boot, and is stable, honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much... it's not going to harm your hardware, and an eventual BIOS update might fix it. But maybe not. Maybe there is a legit reason why it does this, and some other boards do not.

I've got the HyperX Predator 32GB 2800mhz kit (run it at 2133 for now). There are two XMP profiles. One for 2800 and one for 2600mhz. I tried the 2600 settings and same behavior. I've tried setting only half the primary timings as I didn't know some of those values. Also tried MemoryTryIT! No good. Same behavior. I tried turning off memtest as well. No good.

Will take some rolling up my sleeves to figure this out..

Thanks

Interesting that disabling 'Memory training' causes it to not post, reset and display 'Failed overclocking' message on screen with options to revert to last working settings. So maybe its memory training the board is doing which I wish it didn't do..

Thanks

cadaveca

My name is Dave
As far as I know, both 2600 MHz and 2800 MHz memory speed are done with BCLK OC. Please try enabling XMP and verifying this. IF that is the case, and the BCLK is adjusted above 100 MHz, then this is perfectly normal, and what the double boot is for is for that BCLK change, and is likely unavoidable.

Yeah but wouldn't the bios automatically run it at 2133mhz? I did try enabling xmp and no good. I'll try manually setting bclk next.

Thanks.