• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Shows Off Optane 3D XPoint SSD and SSD-DIMM Implementation

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
At the Oracle OpenWorld conference, Intel took the opportunity to show off its latest implementation of the revolutionary 3D XPoint memory technology, which aims to replace NAND flash as the staple high-performance solid-state storage technology; offering exponential gains in density and performance. Optane, codename for Intel's upcoming 3D XPoint SSD based on conventional storage interfaces (PCIe M.2, U.2, PCIe add-on card) and the modern NVMe protocol; was demoed on Oracle's X5-2 series 1U server, where it clocked 4.42 times the random access performance, and 6.44 times better latency, than the fastest NAND flash based SSD in those form-factors. Optane promises 7.13 times the throughput when used with Oracle software.

That was only part of the presentation. The other being an audacious new contraption, a prototype 3D XPoint based SSD in the DDR4 DIMM form-factor. Intel envisions high-capacity SSD storage to eliminate most system-level bottlenecks, and talk directly to the processor's integrated memory controller. System builders will be able to combine DDR4-DRAM memory modules with Optane DIMM modules over vacant channels, and end up with the lowest possible latency storage interface. According to Intel CEO Brian Krzanich, Optane DIMM modules will be the closest that storage will have ever gone to the performance levels of DRAM, and should greatly accelerate in-memory database implementations.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Doubt this will be ready for consumers by the time Cannonlake becomes available.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
"Optane" is probably the worst branding name I have ever heard. That is dangerously close to OCZ Technology's old "Octane" which are some of the worst SSDs ever produced. I checked to see if Optane was a legitimate word that I didn't know and nothing appears at dictionary or merriam. If they want to just make up ridiculous names it might as well be Erftaburf Series SSDs.

yagga

"Optane" is probably the worst branding name I have ever heard. That is dangerously close to OCZ Technology's old "Octane" which are some of the worst SSDs ever produced.
The exact same thing went through my head the moment i saw that name.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
I guess Intel wanst to make a connection with; that it will actually be "obtainable"? Doubtful as I am sure with those performance figures, you can expect to pay an arm and leg for it. :p

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Doubt this will be ready for consumers by the time Cannonlake becomes available.

Wikipedia said:
Cannonlake (formerly Skymont) is Intel's codename for the 10-nanometer die shrink of Skylake, expected to be released in the 2nd half of 2017.
The Platform said:
... before Optane SSDs start shipping sometime in 2016.
The Platform said:
Krzanich said that Intel will have working Optane DIMMs ready later this year for early testers...

Wrong. bta, you might want to add the above two points to your summary.

Doubtful as I am sure with those performance figures, you can expect to pay an arm and leg for it. :p

As is the case with all new tech. But as consumer adoption increases costs will decrease, and there will always be high-end prosumers who can afford the best, so the price of NAND should drop soon after XPoint launches.

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
so when we can see first U.2 versions of those and at what price? (eg. when would it be worth to buy the ASUS VIII Impact ... since currently U.2 is pointless with only Intel 750 series)

Soon we will get HPTX motherboards with one CPU socket and about 80 DIMM slots to fill with SSD-DIMMs. ;)

Seriously tho. It looks extremely promising, but doubt very much that it will hit the consumer market any time soon. It will require extensive time in the enterprise segment before it is downgraded to "PC enthusiast/consumer" grade. At this moment in time NVMe is more than enough for most of extreme jobs you can think of. There simply not enough processing power inside CPU itself on one side and software on the other to require more.

To fully utilize benefits of NVMe or X-Point we need more lanes for starters and radically redesigned motherboards with more bandwidth than you can imagine today. Take just ordinary "slow" 750. Inside that monster sits 18 channel controller. Which means if you put enough dies on PCB x16 Gen. 3 PCI-Ex slot will be hopelessly insufficient for the task in hand. PCI Express Gen. 15 anyone?

It's funny that 15 years ago everything was totally bottlenecked by slow spinning HDDs. Today situation is totally reversed. HDDs are disappearing (slowly but surely) into oblivion and current scheme how PC is working quickly turning to be obsolete - storage is bottlenecked by everything else..

Irony of fate my friends...

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
As is the case with all new tech. But as consumer adoption increases costs will decrease, and there will always be high-end prosumers who can afford the best, so the price of NAND should drop soon after XPoint launches.

Right... do you even know how long the previous SSD's have been out for? Almost 8 years now, funny how they remain high in price though right? If you compare it with all other computer components, SSD's are a complete RIPOFF price wise.

Another thing; large consumer base "adoption" can't occur when a great many can't afford it.