• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Ops III: 12 GB RAM and GTX 980 Ti Not Enough

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
You are ignoring that games progress. Nothing stands still in the gaming world. Gaming, more than anything has consistently forced the advancement of computer parts to bigger, better, faster as requirements increase.

It's a constantly moving finish line, and the natural evolution of things. It's unrealistic to think or hope that requirements will stand still.

Last edited:
You are ignoring that games progress. Nothing stands still in the gaming world. Gaming, more than anything has consistently forced the advancement of computer parts to bigger, better, faster as requirements increase.

It's a constantly moving finish line, and the natural evolution of things. It's unrealistic to think or hope that requirements will stand still.
Programs should consume resources in a smart ways and because they need to. Just take a look at textures, distributors do not compress textures to lower piracy, it isn't working. Why would they make COD to eat up all the RAM, so the consumers will buy more/costlier components? Time will tell, but till it does I suggest people turn to better coded games on PC like Witcher 3.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Programs should consume resources in a smart ways and because they need to. Just take a look at textures, distributors do not compress textures to lower piracy, it isn't working. Why would they make COD to eat up all the RAM, so the consumers will buy more/costlier components? Time will tell, but till it does I suggest people turn to better coded games on PC like Witcher 3.

First I agree with you that people should go play a better game, like The Witcher 3. But that's not the issue.

Look back on the history of gaming. There have always been games that pushed the envelope, and thus pushed the advancement of hardware. I am all for any game that pushes that envelope. Others will follow suit, and I am glad. Otherwise, hardware would stagnate where it is.

Forward thinking has gotten us where we are today, and I don't wish to see it stop there.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I suggest people turn to better coded games on PC like Witcher 3.
Failworks? O rly? There are a lot of things I would called Witcher 3. A great game, a lot of fun, looks pretty good, but, I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of well coded games. It has its issues like many others.

We should all go back to playing board games imho...

Monopoly, Cluedo, Trivial Pursuit...very stable without crashes or bugs....lag, glitches etc.. :p

IIRC Windows' been doing similar stuff since XP and Vista (Prefetcher and Superfetch, respectively), and I can't count the times I had to disable the latter because it was screwing up the system.

You are right. Running a game from ram is better, but that still wouldn't justify caching data for segments that won't be needed for minutes/hours to come, or ones that aren't needed any more. What matters is what's being displayed now and what will be in the very near future (for the game), in other words: what the game "needs". Then it's simply a matter of balancing when to cache newer data and when to scrub older ones.
Superfetch and Prefetch cache programs iirc,
But windows caches regardless, look in TM at the cache amount, it's mostly made up of memory mapped files, files on the HDD...lots of system32 files, and pics, documents muusic....all that stuff.
But that's caching...

WDDM and DX are being developed to unify GPU and CPU memory, virtually or otherwise. Similar to consoles and hUMA. Early stages atm.

There's also a bit of hype here imo, I realised when testin W10....what differnce does it make to a gamer if 16GB of RAM is used or 16GB of VRAM???? U stll need more lol

So personally I don't see the advantage of unified memory in WDDM 2.0...:p

I'll take your word for now. My experience with programming hasn't reached d3d yet >_>

Oh me either, lol I mainly skip the code stuff (exept for the errors which are handy). But theres a lot of plain english material documenting how DX works in relation to the OS, makes for interesting reading imho.

Maybe I gave u the wrong link...

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
First I agree with you that people should go play a better game, like The Witcher 3. But that's not the issue.

Look back on the history of gaming. There have always been games that pushed the envelope, and thus pushed the advancement of hardware. I am all for any game that pushes that envelope. Others will follow suit, and I am glad. Otherwise, hardware would stagnate where it is.

Forward thinking has gotten us where we are today, and I don't wish to see it stop there.

I don't know @rtwjunkie. There have been games that pushed the PC game envelope in the past versus the consoles leftovers slop. There are reasons that publishers think we are idiots.

Most of the games aren't so resource hungry and they still look great but whar does COD:BO3 offer to justify its greediness?

Failworks? O rly? There are a lot of things I would called Witcher 3. A great game, a lot of fun, looks pretty good, but, I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of well coded games. It has its issues like many others.
Not perfect example, I meant VRAM usage.

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
Because if those are the specs, not many people can actually run that. I mean, I have 32GB RAM so I don't care, but graphic card is still "just" 4GB (GTX 980). If you want to target the broadest target public, you can't have specs like this. Or it has to look like nothing we've seen to date. Frankly, I doubt that will be the case...

noone said you have to play the game with maximum textures. That's why they gave us game settings, so you can SET things right for your hardware. Simple really. I am quite sure you can play this game with 2GB VRAM also with low textures and 1080p.

noone said you have to play the game with maximum textures. That's why they gave us game settings, so you can SET things right for your hardware. Simple really. I am quite sure you can play this game with 2GB VRAM also with low textures and 1080p.

Playing games at anything less is unacceptable for me. Also, why is game not DX12 ready?

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Call Of Disaster : Blatantly Optimized

System Name 16 digit calculator
Processor AMD 5900X @ STOCK /PBO OFF /OFFSET -0.10V
Motherboard ASUS B550F WIFI
Cooling DARK ROCK4 PRO
Memory G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 32GB (16GB*2)@3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 AORUS EXTREME /POWERLIMIT 100 /CORE+100 /WITH EXTRA BACKPLATE HEATSINK
Storage NVME 1Tb P34A80 SiliconPower / SATA 10TB TOSHIBA HD11WR / SATA 8TB HITACHI / SATA 6TB TOSHIBA
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQ 2560*1440p@165hz
Case Fractal Design, Define XL R2 /6x140mm FANS. This RTX3090 Heat... Ohh...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Phoebus PCI express
Power Supply 850W Corsair
Mouse Logitech G603 WIRELESS
Keyboard Logitech K270 WIRELESS
Software OS: Win 10 x64 bit ver.20h2 or better Games: TETRIS 3D with raytracing :)
Benchmark Scores Can I play daddy? :)
I see no point to upgrade 8 to 16 Gb system ram and look for 8-12Gb video cards... Im not a CoD series fan, I have tried maybe half of the games from this game series. To be honest I got the game just to check is it really THAT BAD optimised...

My rig: i7 4770k / iChill 4gb 980 from innovision /8(4*2)GB 1866 ram/SSD Plextor m5s

game settings: 1080p, ultra textures, high (not ultra) shadows, all the rest set on max/ultra, smaa 2x (cinema) - running almost perfect! video ram load 3-4Gb (Gpuz) system ram load 6.3-7/8 (taskmgr)

Overall perfomance - solid 60FPS with decreases to 53-55 on sometimes. No problems, no crashes, sometimes microstutter occurs at that time FPS goes 53-55 (I guess RAM issue when game reads something from SSD) but I cant say its badly freezing. I guess If I will set textures to "high" instead of ultra there would be no problems at all....

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
Wow... that is absurd.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
fck them ;they develop new games with hardware producers money just to force us to buy their shitty new stuff to force the upgrade

a lame conspiration from their side

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

But CoD:Blops3 taxing systems like it does today is not about pushing any envelope in terms of graphical fidelity. None. Whatsoever. Textures are stale and washed out, built for lower resolutions, 90% of the game graphics is post processing junk. You compare this to TW3, how can you defend these system requirements if you keep the two games side by side?

If this game pushes any envelope, it is merely the envelope of how badly can you fuck up a console port and how much of a cash grab can you make the product itself. Bad coding is the ultimate example of laziness, because there are tons of games that do it better, and there are tons of games that look better too.

If these developers did any forward thinking themselves, they would have considered better optimization of PC quality settings. I don't really get where you're coming from with this argument at all actually. Even a blind man can see this game has nothing groundbreaking to offer, and I honestly don't get how you can justify the current sys requirements for this game. Not in the least because CoD:Ghosts had similar memory ridiculousness and we all know Treyarch is the second rate developer for this series.

Last but not least, a console port is and has never been about forward thinking or pushing envelopes. They are built for the lowest common denominator. CoD has never pushed envelopes. IW/Treyarch have never pushed envelopes. We have had 7 years of standstill because of these console games. Get real...

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
@Vayra86 I'm not defending the game. Perhaps I'm being misunderstood, because there have been precisely 3 good CoD games: CoD, Cod 2, and CoD 4- MW.

My point is simply the number of people butt-hurt in general because System requirements are increasing. It is simply not realistic to think games and hardware should stagnate forever. If people had always thought that way, we would still be riding horse and buggy.

EDIT: Remember, everyone started complaining on here as soon as they read real world requirements from the TPU staff, which was before anyone had a copy to find out it is a pile of dung.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
My point is simply the number of people butt-hurt in general because System requirements are increasing. It is simply not realistic to think games and hardware should stagnate forever. If people had always thought that way, we would still be riding horse and buggy.
...or I would still be using my old handy Radeon 9200 and a netburst Celeron. Simple fact is this one:
It is simply not realistic to think games and hardware should stagnate forever.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
@Vayra86 I'm not defending the game. Perhaps I'm being misunderstood, because there have been precisely 3 good CoD games: CoD, Cod 2, and CoD 4- MW.

My point is simply the numver of people butt-hurt in general because System requirements are increasing. It is simply no realistic to think games and hardware should stagNate forever. If people had always thought that way, we would still be riding horse and buggy.

If you look objectively at games, I understand completely why people are butt-hurt. The vast majority of these releases are console ports running on an HD7870 equivalent GPU as the baseline. You simply cannot defend that a PC with hardware that is at least 30% faster cannot run that on higher settings. Evidenced by the small amount of games that do get released with proper coding and optimization, like GTA V. Case in point, this thread, which is only about top end hardware running a mediocre game. You mentioned it yourself, TW3, a great example of a game that uses the hardware well and has understandable performance hits from different kinds of graphics settings - nobody is complaining about 30-40 fps in that game and rightly so, people aren't that stupid.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
You mentioned it yourself, TW3, a great example of a game that uses the hardware well and has understandable performance hits from different kinds of graphics settings - nobody is complaining about 30-40 fps in that game and rightly so, people aren't that stupid.
I wouldn't call TW3 that stable and for how much VRAM it uses and how it looks, I would actually expect it to run better. Farcry 4, another games that isn't the best of coded games but, it looked great and ran smoothly in surround on my machine, using almost 4GB of VRAM all the while. You run TW3 in surround and it sucks beyond belief (all the while, around 2GB VRAM used.) There have also been instances where despite a frame rate cap, TW3 will consume 100% of my GPU even though it's running at a flat 60FPS, almost like it's just throwing away extra rendered frames. Either way, people should stop using TW3 as an example of a good game because 3D performance for what the game is, is crap. The only reason why TW3 is good is because the game itself doesn't blow. I can deal with poor performance if the game is good but, most won't care if a game looks good if everything else about it is crap.

So if we're talking about just the rendering engine and not the game itself, TW3 is actually pretty mediocre in comparison. It caters to GPUs that have a lot of pixel pumping power because a lot of it is effects, not texturing.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I wouldn't call TW3 that stable and for how much VRAM it uses and how it looks, I would actually expect it to run better. Farcry 4, another games that isn't the best of coded games but, it looked great and ran smoothly in surround on my machine, using almost 4GB of VRAM all the while. You run TW3 in surround and it sucks beyond belief (all the while, around 2GB VRAM used.) There have also been instances where despite a frame rate cap, TW3 will consume 100% of my GPU even though it's running at a flat 60FPS, almost like it's just throwing away extra rendered frames. Either way, people should stop using TW3 as an example of a good game because 3D performance for what the game is, is crap. The only reason why TW3 is good is because the game itself doesn't blow. I can deal with poor performance if the game is good but, most won't care if a game looks good if everything else about it is crap.

So if we're talking about just the rendering engine and not the game itself, TW3 is actually pretty mediocre in comparison. It caters to GPUs that have a lot of pixel pumping power because a lot of it is effects, not texturing.

Meh, I respectfully disagree on that. The game has a lot of interesting elements that you don't see too much elsewhere, and are tied into graphics/performance. Speedtree is an example of this coupled with the royal view distance. But it is also a game that (and this is mostly what I was alluding to) takes performance hits from higher settings that a user can understand. All the quality settings are actually working, they all add something, and they all incur a performance hit without introducing weird amounts of stutter if the resources are there. And to top it off, it does so without requiring a boatload of system/VRAM. Note, all of this is excluding Hairworks from the story.

The other example I pointed out, GTA V, is similar. If we cant agree on TW3 and talk about a game that is well optimized, let's take that one then. A great example because it is also very transparent in terms of VRAM usage in the options menu. CoD is miles away from this, and thát is what people see.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
A great example because it is also very transparent in terms of VRAM usage in the options menu.
I don't have GTA V so I can't speak for experience but, if my memory serves me correctly, that game uses extra VRAM for caching so it could very well be just like TW3 in that respect, so I wouldn't go making any assumptions to that end.

I've played TW3 maxed out without Hairworks. In fact I didn't find Hairworks to impact performance by all that much, I feel that it's just a slow engine for what it is doing. I don't have GTA V so I can't talking about it but, there was a discussion several months ago about how it appeared that GTA V was caching stuff in VRAM if it was available and wasn't reflective of how much memory is being actively used at any given time.

I don't want to go too far into that but, my simple point is that it's not realistic for games to regress while still getting better and I honestly don't think GTA V looks better than TW3 or Farcry 4 judging from screenshots I've seen.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
If it's loading up RAM just because it's there then no problem. If it's loading up RAM and the engine has to start using storage because the RAM is loaded with unnecessary data then that's not ok. That's why the game stutters. The following isn't about RAM but it seems that their game engine wastes resources anyway. Take a look at this concerning VRAM usage

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/33.html

Crysis 3 using 2 GB max and COD Advanced Warfare using 7.3 GB

This game is running on new gen consoles that only have 8 GB RAM total where 4-5 GB is available for the game. I understand that PC gamers always need better hardware to run the same game as on a console but this much? 12 GB RAM? This game isn't breaking new ground for PCs. It's just sloppy coding.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
If it's loading up RAM just because it's there then no problem. If it's loading up RAM and the engine has to start using storage because the RAM is loaded with unnecessary data then that's not ok. That's why the game stutters. The following isn't about RAM but it seems that their game engine wastes resources anyway. Take a look at this concerning VRAM usage

Crysis 3 using 2 GB max and COD Advanced Warfare using 7.3 GB

This game is running on new gen consoles that only have 8 GB RAM total where 4-5 GB is available for the game. I understand that PC gamers always need better hardware to run the same game as on a console but this much? 12 GB RAM? This game isn't breaking new ground for PCs. It's just sloppy coding.

You may have some valid points from what I've read by users. However, if you'll note in my edit from above that I did earlier, people started thier outcry about higher requirements BEFORE anyone had the game after the TPU staff put forth the real-world requirements. Think about that a second and let it digest.

People were butt-hurt in general about hardware requirements increasing. That kind of backward thinking will allow consoles to have more performance than the PC eventually if everyone starts expecting that hardware requirements will never increase.

Backward thinking like that did not get us such massively improved PC's in the last 15 years.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
You may have some valid points from what I've read by users. However, if you'll note in my edit from above that I did earlier, people started thier outcry about higher requirements BEFORE anyone had the game after the TPU staff put forth the real-world requirements. Think about that a second and let it digest.

People were butt-hurt in general about hardware requirements increasing. That kind of backward thinking will allow consoles to have more performance than the PC eventually if everyone starts expecting that hardware requirements will never increase.

Backward thinking like that did not get us such massively improved PC's in the last 15 years.

If people are bitching about games in general taking too much resources and having to upgrade then I don't agree with them. PC gaming is a never ending upgrade kind of hobby. That's a fact and it can get pretty expensive if you want the highest settings.

If they're bitching because this particular game requires 12 GB RAM when it's just another COD that uses the same engine as before then I agree with them. I think the game probably has a memory leak and Treyarch will probably fix it eventually or whatever is causing this game to require 12 GB RAM.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Oh I agree on that. We should also be careful not to jump on the bandwagon too quickly, but in the case of CoD, where there's smoke, there's fire. Even more so, because CoD is one of the (Many) reasons PC games have *not* seen themselves improve vastly over the past console generation. We have just had one of the longest periods of standstill, and todays' console grunt is hardly anything to write home about.