• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces ROG Maximus VIII Extreme-Assembly and GTX 980 Ti Matrix

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly and Matrix GTX 980 Ti, our flagship Z170 gaming motherboard primed for epic gaming performance and overclocking, and the enthusiast graphics card that delivers record-breaking performance and extreme overclocking potential - both finessed with ROG's all-new futuristic Plasma Copper scheme for color-matched extreme gaming and overclocking rigs.

Introducing the stunning Plasma Copper color scheme, ASUS ROG's Global Marketing Director, Derek Yu, said: "To be ROG is to be the rebel. To be ROG is to break every rule. We are rebellious ROG, breaking our own rules to envision a new future. A future forged with striking distinction. ROG is red. ROG is black. And now ROG is also Plasma Copper: elite assemblies for elite gamers. This is our mark of invincibility - and the new emblem of dominance for the world's best gamers."

Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly: Best gaming and OC, plus SupremeFX Hi-Fi and 10G Express
Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly is ROG's new flagship gaming motherboard for elite players, extending Maximus VIII Extreme's superiority by applying ROG's Plasma Copper colors, and including the new SupremeFX Hi-Fi front-panel headphone amp and ROG 10G Express card, the fastest onboard consumer Ethernet. .

Based on the new Intel Z170 Express chipset and LGA 1151 socket for the latest 6th-generation Intel processors, Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly continues ROG's world-record-breaking heritage to deliver the best gaming performance with multiple ROG-exclusive innovations. These include: 5-Way Optimization auto-tuning for instant performance boosts; Pro Clock to push base-clock frequencies further than ever before; second generation T-Topology technology for extreme DDR4 overclocking; and the new Extreme Engine Digi+ for precise, smooth core voltages.

SupremeFX Hi-Fi is the front-panel headphone amp that delivers sound exactly how the studio intended - pure, unadulterated audio straight to the listener's ear, whether they're streaming or gaming. The ESS ES9018K2M digital-to-analog converter (DAC), dual Texas Instruments LM4562 op-amps and TPA6120A2 headphone amp work in harmony to faithfully reproduce every detail without distortion or jitter, delivering audiophile-grade 32-bit/384kHz and DSD128 playback, and output of over 6VRMS to 600ohm headphones.

SupremeFX Hi-Fi has a Cirrus Logic analog-to-digital convertor (ADC) for exceptional recording quality and, when excitement over accuracy is the order of the day, ROG's Sonic Studio suite enables the listener to apply endless audio enhancements.

ROG 10G Express is the enterprise-speed Ethernet card, powered by Aquantia and Tehuti Networks: these key partners are both members of the NBASE-T alliance, and are working closely to create the new 2.5Gbit/s and 5Gbit/s standards that will be compatible with the existing Category 5e (Cat 5e) cabling and ports. With PCI Express 2.0 x4 speed, it equips Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly gamers for next-generation LAN speeds of up to 10Gbit/s - or up to ten times (10X) faster than today's fastest onboard consumer Ethernet.

With ROG 10G Express, Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly users enjoy faster online gaming and share smoother streaming. 10G Express supports speeds right down to 100Mbit/s, including 5Gbit/s, 2.5Gbit/s and 1Gbit/s, so it's compatible with a vast range of hardware, old and new.

Nir Sever, Chief Operating Office, of Tehuti Networks said: "We're excited to work with the industry-leading gaming brand ROG to include our 10G Express expansion card, providing supreme-speed, lag-free online gaming experiences for ROG gamers. ROG is the first gaming brand committed to providing high-performance, low-power and great-value multi-gigabit networking and future-proof standards, expanding the potential and appeal of its elite gaming gear."

Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly provides the best gaming audio with SupremeFX 2015 with Sonic Studio II, the best gaming networking from Intel Ethernet, plus exclusive ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst technologies to eliminate lag for incredible online-gaming experiences.

Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly is engineered with the revolutionary NVM Express (NVMe) U.2 connector on board to unleash the full potential of the latest SSDs - with speeds of up to 32Gbit/s.

The new motherboard also has the latest USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectivity for speeds of up to 10Gbit/s, or twice (2X) as fast USB 3.0, and includes three Type-A ports for great backward-compatibility and one reversible Type-C (USB-C) connector for convenience, ease and future-proofing.

ROG Matrix GTX 980 Ti: Record-breaking performance with best OC and gaming innovations
ROG's new Matrix GTX 980 Ti is powered by the latest GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics-processing units (GPUs), each of which is individually tested by an ASUS-exclusive GPU-sorting system to assess its overclocking potential - with only the very best GPUs selected for inclusion on Matrix GTX 980 Ti. Only the very best GPUs that rank in the top 15% of those tested are reserved for use in the ROG Matrix. This fanatical attention to detail and commitment to quality results in a graphics card that offers gamers and overclockers extreme performance and overclocking stability. ROG Matrix GTX 980 Ti delivers up to 18.7% faster performance than reference cards and 21.6% faster in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Matrix GTX 980 Ti is packed with ASUS-exclusive technologies, including DirectCU II and patented wing-blade fans that deliver maximum airflow over the heat sink for 30%-cooler and three times (3X) quieter performance.

Matrix GTX 980 Ti also has many advanced and exclusive hardware and software features designed to make overclocking as simple and safe as possible. Memory Defroster quickly defrosts the graphics card's memory during below-zero overclocking to ensure sustained stability. A Safe Mode that allows users to overclock with complete confidence, as a single button push will restore default BIOS settings instantly. Extreme overclockers will also appreciate the liquid-nitrogen (LN2) jumper switch as it enables even more overvolting options, allowing the most adventurous users to unleash maximum greater power from their graphics cards.

To support stable overclocking, ROG Matrix GTX 980 Ti is also equipped with exclusive Digi+ voltage-regulation modules (VRMs) with 14-phase Super Alloy Power II technology. All ASUS graphics cards are now produced using Auto-Extreme technology, an industry-only, 100% automated production process that incorporates premium materials to set a new standard of quality and reliability.

ROG Matrix GTX 980 Ti is also equipped with a gorgeous color-coded LED that changes shade to reflect the GPU's load level. Shining brightly through four resplendent color gradients, it provides a real-time visual guide to performance - and an awesome internal glow!

Plus, the ROG edition of GPU Tweak II - the ultimate graphics-card-tuning utility - offers incredibly precise control over GPU clock frequency, pulse-width modulation (PWM), voltage-regulator modules (VRMs), and even fans for maximum overclocking potential that's safe and simple. XSplit Gamecaster lets gamers easily stream or record gameplay via a convenient, in-game overlay.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Looking GooD.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Maximus Price-tag-icus,..... :)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Introducing the stunning Plasma Copper color scheme, ASUS ROG's Global Marketing Director, Derek Yu, said: "To be ROG is to be the rebel. To be ROG is to break every rule. We are rebellious ROG, breaking our own rules to envision a new future. A future forged with striking distinction. ROG is red. ROG is black. And now ROG is also Plasma Copper: elite assemblies for elite gamers. This is our mark of invincibility - and the new emblem of dominance for the world's best gamers."

I tried to read the entire thing but I just couldn't. :roll:

And anyway Extreme Assembly to me means industrial grade everything. Not quite mil specs, but close.

RMX

Happy to see some other colors, though the ROG logo on the heatsink in red feels kinda misplaced.

This is so cringeworthy, please stop:
ASUS ROG's Global Marketing Director, Derek Yu, said: "To be ROG is to be the rebel. To be ROG is to break every rule. We are rebellious ROG, breaking our own rules to envision a new future. A future forged with striking distinction. ROG is red. ROG is black. And now ROG is also Plasma Copper: elite assemblies for elite gamers. This is our mark of invincibility - and the new emblem of dominance for the world's best gamers."

"To be ROG is to be the rebel. To be ROG is to break every rule. We are rebellious ROG, breaking our own rules to envision a new future. A future forged with striking distinction. ROG is red. ROG is black. And now ROG is also Plasma Copper: elite assemblies for elite gamers. This is our mark of invincibility - and the new emblem of dominance for the world's best gamers."

This is just horrible, who buys into this shit?

"To be ROG is to be the rebel. To be ROG is to break every rule. We are rebellious ROG, breaking our own rules to envision a new future. A future forged with striking distinction. ROG is red. ROG is black. And now ROG is also Plasma Copper: elite assemblies for elite gamers. This is our mark of invincibility - and the new emblem of dominance for the world's best gamers."

This is just horrible, who buys into this shit?
Thousands of young kids whose parents have deep pockets.

System Name All the Cores ... (VMs)
Processor Ryzen9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master (Bios F36c)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory TridentZ neo 4x 16gb 3600Mhz C16 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 Ti
Storage 2x Sn750 2TB
Display(s) OPTIX MPG341CQR & LG 32UD60-B
Case CASELABS M8
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA g5 750w
Mouse Corsair m65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10pro/64
Benchmark Scores N/A .. yet updating soon
I don't like it and I don't get it. I use to be A huge Asus fan ... but something about their last few mobo have just been off. To me the are being out done by Asrock and Gigabyte .... I dont OC like I use to , I want more features and Asus seems too lack VS others. I still love their video cards tho, however I cant tell .. but does that one take up 3x slots ? ...looks like its 2 1/2 slots too me .... anything more then 2 .. is A no no in my book.

Side note on Asus RMA ... One of my 780ti (had 2) Died on me about A month ago ... took them A long as time to get back to me about it ... and they dont respond/ cant call them. When they did, they said sorry for taking so long we cant fix it and would like to replace it with A 980 Strix .. ( I was like woot /grr ). MSG them back about my SLI 5760/1080p setup and ask if they would replace my other 780 ti with one or something A long the lines of matching cards for my rigs .... About 4 days later they Agreed to do so ... Thank you Asus!

To me that shows me alot about them ... they could of just told me too F-off and I would of been ok with that to cause I understand ... But the fact they are helping me out with matching up the cards .. shows class.
I will buy their GPUs for A long time now!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Happy to see some other colors, though the ROG logo on the heatsink in red feels kinda misplaced.

This is so cringeworthy, please stop:
Its an LED on the original... you can change the color to match.

On a side note did anyone else notice this motherboard Asus is bundling a 10G ethernet card? Its not built onto motherboard like Asrock but rather a seperate add-in card. I would like to see some reviews of that new solution.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
i love the "Armor" asus uses to put in their boards now days....

Regards,

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
So pissed considering I just bought the Strix OC last week...

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
It's great to finally see U.2 as a native connector. Hopefully this spells the end of useless SATA Express.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Stupid developers:banghead: when it was MAXIMUS EXTRIME without PLX chip.:shadedshu:It does not belong to € 500 Class.:confused:1 tonne of additives do not justify this prices.:cry:If add M.2. 265 GB samsung pro would still be too expensive.:shadedshu:GPU is issued very late and realistically no longer offer mor to Game Player only delivers extreme OC obtions.:(
The only worthy of unit:rockout: is an external preamplifier and converter, which has to be specially purchased.:toast:
MAXIMUS EXTRIME name do not belong to this board. total fuckup. RANGER best.:banghead:

Last edited:
System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
I still prefer Gigabyte boards, more features, similar build quality but lower price. The only reason I have an Asus M8H in my rig is because I thought my Gigabyte Gaming5 board was defective/having memory compatibility issues during the intial troubleshooting of freeze/bsod.

I still prefer Gigabyte boards, more features, similar build quality but lower price. The only reason I have an Asus M8H in my rig is because I thought my Gigabyte Gaming5 board was defective/having memory compatibility issues during the intial troubleshooting of freeze/bsod.
Their competing boards are the same price...ok... $20 difference between the M8E and the G1 Gaming... my fault. You were right. But what is $20 when you are paying $500? I believe the M8E has more features than that gigabyte (hey thanks for hte 5.25" bay USB port!)... LOL!

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Gigabyte Gaming5 New BIOS solve majority issues with RAM ,and it is good to look at which RAM falls to addition board before buying.

Software Win 11 Ent
Software Win 11 Ent
Their competing boards are the same price...ok... $20 difference between the M8E and the G1 Gaming... my fault. You were right. But what is $20 when you are paying $500? I believe the M8E has more features than that gigabyte (hey thanks for hte 5.25" bay USB port!)... LOL!

Well you're right about the top tier products. I agree £20 - 30 difference is pretty much negligible when a user is already paying £400 for a motherboard.

But for mid-range models Asus tends to be more expensive with less features here.

M8H £175, Gaming7 £159 (2nd NIC, 2nd M.2, 3rd SATAe, dual BIOS, Intel USB3.1 controller, thunderbolt 3, SoundCore 3D chip w/ replaceable OpAMP)
M8R £153, Gaming5 £143 (2nd NIC, better VRM, 2nd M.2, 3rd SATAe, dual BIOS, Intel USB3.1 controller)

Why are you comparing the ROG line though? That is apples to oranges, no?

What about the ASUS Z170-Pro? Its $194

Can't say I care much about about a 2nd NIC (how many do, really?)
VRMs don't matter much at all with ambient cooling on Intel So long as you have 4/5 for the CPU, it won't limit you!
Dual BIOS, sure, good if you flash frequently, its nice to have, I will give you that.
Thunderbolt 3 (LOL, seriously?).
They both have 3.1 Gen2 Type A and C.

If you need those features (like replaceable op amp multiple M.2 slots, 2nd NIC), then great. They are useless if they are sitting idle. ;)

Software Win 11 Ent
Why are you comparing the ROG line though? That is apples to oranges, no?

What about the ASUS Z170-Pro? Its $194

Can't say I care much about about a 2nd NIC (how many do, really?)
VRMs don't matter much at all with ambient cooling on Intel So long as you have 4/5 for the CPU, it won't limit you!
Dual BIOS, sure, good if you flash frequently, its nice to have, I will give you that.
Thunderbolt 3 (LOL, seriously?).
They both have 3.1 Gen2 Type A and C.

If you need those features (like replaceable op amp multiple M.2 slots, 2nd NIC), then great. They are useless if they are sitting idle. ;)

The ROG counterpart made by Gigabyte is its G1 Gaming series which both Gaming5 and Gaming7 belong to. So that's not apples to oranges.

Well my point is that you get all those extra features at lower price. Sure features like thunerbolt 3 may hardly get used during the lifetime of that mobo, but it's nice to have it when you don't need to pay extra for it.

USB3.1 on Giga are provided by Intel controllers whereas Asus uses ASMedia except for M8E. Seeing that the Intel controller is only found on the top dog M8E indicates it is a better controller (or at least more premium) than the ASMedia.