• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Unleashes the Radeon R9 Fury X Graphics Card

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As the world's No.1 in GAMING graphics cards, MSI is pleased to announce the availability of the revolutionary AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. With the MSI R9 Fury X 4G, MSI adds a new high-end graphics card to its recently introduced and already heavily awarded AMD R9 and R7 300 series range. The MSI R9 Fury X 4G is equipped with 4GB of the groundbreaking High Bandwidth Memory, which is engineered directly onto AMD's Fiji XT GPU for unprecedented performance. The AMD Fury X is built for the future of ultra-high resolution gaming and Virtual Reality, which is available for enthusiasts to explore.

The card is housed in a much smaller form factor than we are used to from a top-level graphics card, which means that it fits into nearly any case. It is cooled by a closed loop liquid cooling solution which is included in the box which keeps the GPU around 50 degree Celsius during typical gaming sessions. The radiator can be mounted on the inside of the case to blow the heat directly outwards, it uses a single high quality 120mm fan for quiet performance.

Next to all the impressive technical feats, the MSI R9 Fury X 4G also brings the bling with multiple LED lights located on the side of the card. Some just for cool light effects, others to indicate the GPU intensity level.

Performance Control by MSI Afterburner
When used with MSI's exclusive Afterburner overclocking utility, gamers can control the MSI R9 Fury X 4G core clock speeds for better performance in the latest games. The Fury X is also equipped with advanced fanspeed control based on GPU temperature, giving optimal acoustic performance. MSI Afterburner supports the video capturing function Predator and can even be used on smartphones to monitor and control the graphics card in desktop computers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

nem

Enjoy!

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Hahahaha please get real
We will see when dx 12 games become available
Pretty sad when the saving grace is a synthetic benchmark already known to favour AMD's architecture. At least nem only posted the graph once here - I think he's been spamming it all over WTFtech etc trying to wave the Sunnyvale banner in the face of massive schadenfreude

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Hahahaha.
Never underestimate the complete lameness of fanboys!
Hey @nem you getting paid for posting the same lame shit over....
...and over...
...and over...
...and over again

How sad. You make Jorge sound like a genius by comparison.

Why are you attacking the guy? All he did was post a DX12 benchmark and you're jumping on him like hes a criminal? Really?? You that mad?? You sound like you have a problem. The Fury X is a VERY viable card for 4K users, or for anyone really, you're getting top tier performance.

There are a lot more rabid Nvidia fans that troll these threads and criticize AMD every chance they get.

This forum used to good a few years ago, heaps of comments, different users, good discussion, but over the last couple of years its turned vitriolic, and most of the old users have left, or don't bother commenting anymore. (Kinda like me, I rarely comment anymore because there is always some negative peanut that wants to argue and rain on people's parade.

The only people writing this card off are morons, and its the same small handful of users that troll negativity on every AMD thread. I have to wonder what their motives are.

BTW, FuryX cards hit a local shop here(MSI, XFX and Gigabyte) in Australia and within hours they were sold out......at the price of $999.00!! People WILL be buying this card whether you nerds like it or not.

Its weird to me how some people write off a card for being a few % behind in some games and a few % above the TI in other games. Its like saying the Bugatti is 5% faster than the Ferrari, therefore Ferrari's are shit. It makes no sense. Its moronic. Most people would not notice the difference between FuryX, 980Ti and TitanX in the real world. For most games people will be getting a zillion FPS

There needs to be some attitude adjustments on this site.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Why are you attacking the guy? All he did was post a DX12 benchmark
In every single thread he could find. By all means, post the graph - but why post it in every thread across multiple sites - is he getting paid for bulk posting?
The only people writing this card off are morons......etc etc
My issue is with the same post being spammed across this entire site, as well as a few others - I don't believe I mentioned the card at all. Maybe you could reserve going off the deep end about the card for those who are deriding its features or performance- because you're just sounding very, very defensive.

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
Pretty sad no custom logo/sticker . Bring back some sexy chick and put it on :pimp:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Why are you attacking the guy? All he did was post a DX12 benchmark and you're jumping on him like hes a criminal? Really?? You that mad?? You sound like you have a problem. The Fury X is a VERY viable card for 4K users, or for anyone really, you're getting top tier performance.

There are a lot more rabid Nvidia fans that troll these threads and criticize AMD every chance they get.

This forum used to good a few years ago, heaps of comments, different users, good discussion, but over the last couple of years its turned vitriolic, and most of the old users have left, or don't bother commenting anymore. (Kinda like me, I rarely comment anymore because there is always some negative peanut that wants to argue and rain on people's parade.

The only people writing this card off are morons, and its the same small handful of users that troll negativity on every AMD thread. I have to wonder what their motives are.

BTW, FuryX cards hit a local shop here(MSI, XFX and Gigabyte) in Australia and within hours they were sold out......at the price of $999.00!! People WILL be buying this card whether you nerds like it or not.

Its weird to me how some people write off a card for being a few % behind in some games and a few % above the TI in other games. Its like saying the Bugatti is 5% faster than the Ferrari, therefore Ferrari's are shit. It makes no sense. Its moronic. Most people would not notice the difference between FuryX, 980Ti and TitanX in the real world. For most games people will be getting a zillion FPS

There needs to be some attitude adjustments on this site.

@HumanSmoke never wrote off the card. If you see his posts he is largely supportive of it. You're defending 'nem' who is simply trolling with that same graph time and time again.
It's people like ''nem' that bring bad reps to sites - delusional, ignorant fan boys.
There are certainly more of them (from both camps) but that's just modern society which has become less constructive and more destructive.
The irony is, an AMD fanboy always claims TPU is full of Nvidia fanboys and vice versa.
As a neutral and emotionless machine, I see Nvidia fanboys as over aggressive little arseholes whereas AMD fanboys are over emotional little arseholes.
We have them both but its annoying when folk have (perhaps mistakenly) defend them, as you have with 'nem'.
All his recent posts are effectively 'Nvidia are crap - AMD will conquer' despite the evidence to the contrary.

Which is clearly trolling.

Last edited:
System Name Custom build - I built it for gaming and some content creation
Processor Intel i7 12700K on air
Motherboard MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 64GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 [16GB x 4]
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Ti SUPRIM X, power limit 75% & Mem +300
Storage SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1T
Display(s) 55" Samsung Q80T 120Hz at 4K [on my desk]
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Platinum PX-850
Mouse Corsair M55 RGB Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
I believe the important point here is AMD finally came out with a top tier card, with very early drivers, and slugging it out with the GTX 980 Ti. The power usage is much lower than expected, more on par with the 980 Ti than expected, and much lower temperatures - thanks to the water cooler, that would have driven the price up if bought separately.

Card Watt draw [with water cooler included] is about the same as my reference R9 290 overclocked. In reviews I have found on the internet, the Watts used by the Fury X compared to the 980 Ti vary as much as 40 watts difference [reflected in whether or not calculated TDP is the listed watts in the review], and depending upon the review site. The average computer user knows little about hardware and that can be very confusing.

At this juncture my primary considerations for purchasing either of the above cards for my own use are:
  1. Nvidia using GameWorks to usurp power from developers and hiding code from AMD to keep them from making drivers to address code issues.
  2. Nvidia uses less power, but runs hotter. Many games are coded for Nvidia that AMD cannot properly code for.
  3. AMD has a great GPU, on par with the 980 Ti and most of gaming fps/stability differences will improve with future drivers. Unfortunately we will have to wait for them.
  4. Fury X runs much cooler than the 980 Ti, and that will help with [probably static] leakage and longevity.

So, for me, the issue is which card will run smoother, provide good gaming fps, live longer and will be more future proof, now that 4K is achievable. [Most people do not game on a 4K monitor yet, that includes me, and I may never game on a 4K monitor - making HDMI 2.0 irrelevant. I do not believe I will be ditching my 40" monitor that sits 18 inches to two feet from my face.]

For someone else, may be the adgenda is different.

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
I believe the important point here is AMD finally came out with a top tier card, with very early drivers, and slugging it out with the GTX 980 Ti. The power usage is much lower than expected, more on par with the 980 Ti than expected, and much lower temperatures - thanks to the water cooler, that would have driven the price up if bought separately.

Card Watt draw [with water cooler included] is about the same as my reference R9 290 overclocked. In reviews I have found on the internet, the Watts used by the Fury X compared to the 980 Ti vary as much as 40 watts difference [reflected in whether or not calculated TDP is the listed watts in the review], and depending upon the review site. The average computer user knows little about hardware and that can be very confusing.

At this juncture my primary considerations for purchasing either of the above cards for my own use are:
  1. Nvidia using GameWorks to usurp power from developers and hiding code from AMD to keep them from making drivers to address code issues.
  2. Nvidia uses less power, but runs hotter. Many games are coded for Nvidia that AMD cannot properly code for.
  3. AMD has a great GPU, on par with the 980 Ti and most of gaming fps/stability differences will improve with future drivers. Unfortunately we will have to wait for them.
  4. Fury X runs much cooler than the 980 Ti, and that will help with [probably static] leakage and longevity.

So, for me, the issue is which card will run smoother, provide good gaming fps, live longer and will be more future proof, now that 4K is achievable. [Most people do not game on a 4K monitor yet, that includes me, and I may never game on a 4K monitor - making HDMI 2.0 irrelevant. I do not believe I will be ditching my 40" monitor that sits 18 inches to two feet from my face.]

For someone else, may be the adgenda is different.

okok but ps4, xbone and wii use AMD
and most game are ported from console
so i think making nvidia hiding shit is in your head bro

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
I find the posting of DX12 API test a very logical reaction considering that nvidia fanboys where all over the internet these days trolling all articles they could find about Fury.

okok but ps4, xbone and wii use AMD
and most game are ported from console
so i think making nvidia hiding shit is in your head bro
I guess you have seen the latest news about that Batman game. This is the result of taking perfectly optimized stable code and throwing GameWorks next to it, probably even replacing that optimized code with GameWorks code. Why replacing it? Because if that console optimized code runs better than GameWorks on a i7 system with 4 or more Haswell cores, instead of a poor little APU with Jaguar cores, then you have a problem. You have a HUGE problem if people enable GameWorks in the PC version of the game and see worst performance and much more instability. I don't say that this has happened necessarily, but no one can rule that out. A case where GameWorks performs worst than x86 CPU optimized code, could be the end of it and the starting of a discussion about the necessity of having PhysX and CUDA.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
@HumanSmoke never wrote off the card. If you see his posts he is largely supportive of it. You're defending 'nem' who is simply trolling with that same graph time and time again.
It's people like ''nem' that bring bad reps to sites - delusional, ignorant fan boys.
There are certainly more of them (from both camps) but that's just modern society which has become less constructive and more destructive.
The irony is, an AMD fanboy always claims TPU is full of Nvidia fanboys and vice versa.
As a neutral and emotionless machine, I see Nvidia fanboys as over aggressive little arseholes whereas AMD fanboys are over emotional little arseholes.
We have them both but its annoying when folk have (perhaps mistakenly) defend them, as you have with 'nem'.
All his recent posts are effectively 'Nvidia are crap - AMD will conquer' despite the evidence to the contrary.

Which is clearly trolling.

Why attack the guy for posting a benchmark though? Posting a benchmark is trolling ?? Really??? But you can abuse the guy and call him names and that's ok?? For posting a benchmark?? There are heaps of threads were guys post benchmarks for fps, temps, power draw etc.. Usually Nvidia guys reminding us where Nvidia is ahead. I haven't seen people go nuts at those guys for posting benchmarks.

I have never attacked anyone for posting a benchmark. I rarely post here anymore because theres a small bunch of bullies and argumentative people who ruin the site for others. A lot less people post here compared to the old days, and the vibe of the site has changed for the worst over the last couple of years. On the rare occasions that I do post, I usually don't come back to that thread, because I know someone will be wanting to argue.

Its really disappointing when guys drag AMD down every chance you get, without them we are all fucked. A month ago we had to pay $1000 for this performance. The only reason 980Ti was released early was because of FuryX. The FuryX is on par with these cards and prices will go down only because we have competition from AMD. You guys don't see the big picture, and why AMD is so important. I've been buying highend graphics cards of both brands for 16 years, (last Nvidia card was MSI 680 Lightning) and without AMD we will pay $1,000 for a Nvidia enthusiast card... and be stuck on old technology. I wish you guys would see that, and really understand how important AMD is. So what if someone is talking up AMD?? AMD are the underdogs and Nvidia has enough market share, I'm sure Nvidia will survive, I'm sure Nvidia doesn't need your help to sell graphics cards and stay in business..

Anyway, I've made my point and probably wont come back to this thread

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Why attack the guy for posting a benchmark though?
Same benchmark in every single thread.
Every. Single. Thread.

Let's play a game. I'll post a benchmark highlighting a single point of reference.

ENJOY !

Now, lets just assume that I post this in every single Fury X...oh hell, why not every single graphics thread.
How long before I would get called out for trolling? One post? two? Think it would go half a dozen without anyone batting an eye like 'nem' did? And if I get called out, how quick would you jump to my defence ?
Yeah, I thought so.

If you can't answer in any way other than how 'nem' was treated I suggest you re-evaluate both your level of anguish and objectivity.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
Hiding what? I will reply to your liberal educated message.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...surps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd

Skip the booz drinking at the beginning and skip to 1 hour 3 minutes [1:03:00] for the GameWorks commentary:

what wrong with it?

sure GAMEWORK created by Nvidia not gonna work "great" with AMD. Not much controversy here.
If game dev wanna use it, nvidia not to blame but dev are.

Dude, AMD and NVIDIa. they are both enemies who try to do many thing possible..

Game Dev,editor,creator,artist.etc obv focus console and work after for the PC version.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Thread necrod

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
what wrong with it?

sure GAMEWORK created by Nvidia not gonna work "great" with AMD. Not much controversy here.
If game dev wanna use it, nvidia not to blame but dev are.

Dude, AMD and NVIDIa. they are both enemies who try to do many thing possible..

Game Dev,editor,creator,artist.etc obv focus console and work after for the PC version.

Your first sentence, quote "what wrong with it?" Answer: Quote you, "so i think making nvidia hiding shit is in your head bro".

First of all, I do not use words like, quote, "shit". So, that is wrong language from my prospective.
Second, your first post to me implied or stated I was wrong. Now you have told me, quote, "Not much controversy here". That is a reversal of your original post.

AMD lets everyone see and utilize their code, including Nvidia - however, Nvidia does not do the same.

I end my replies here if you are going to be illogical and/or belligerent.

Last edited: