• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Thermal Paste Questions

System Name Monster Gaming PC
Processor [Intel] Core i5 3570K
Motherboard [ASRock] Z77 Extreme4
Cooling [Cooler Master] Hyper 212 EVO
Memory [Corsair] 8 GB (2 X 4 GB) Vengeance Low Profile
Video Card(s) [ASUS] GTX 670 OC 2GB (GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5)
Storage [WD] Caviar Blue 1TB SATA III 7200RPM
Display(s) [Dell] UltraSharp 2407WFP (24" 1200x1920)
Case [CM Storm] Scout 2 Black
Power Supply [OCZ] ZT Series 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate,
So after years of accumulating dust, I decided to clean out my ASUS GTX 670 DCU II.

After removing the heatsink to clean it out and also access the fans; I was left with a problem and I need answers:
  1. Do I have to re-apply thermal paste? Is it fine just to put it back with the set stock thermal paste
  2. What thermal pastes can I use? I have Arctic Silver 5, some ancient Zalman STG1 grease and a tube of CM paste included with the 212 EVO
  3. Can I use methylated spirits to clean off the existing grease?
  4. How much to apply? Where should it spread/be spread to?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
1. "need" no, but its highly recommended, and temps will be better with a new application. How much of a difference can really vary.
2. they'll all be fine, just make sure the paste doesnt leak off onto anything but the GPU die.
3. i just use plain old tissues.
4. grain of rice, let the heatsink itself do the spreading with pressure. check temps.

System Name Monster Gaming PC
Processor [Intel] Core i5 3570K
Motherboard [ASRock] Z77 Extreme4
Cooling [Cooler Master] Hyper 212 EVO
Memory [Corsair] 8 GB (2 X 4 GB) Vengeance Low Profile
Video Card(s) [ASUS] GTX 670 OC 2GB (GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5)
Storage [WD] Caviar Blue 1TB SATA III 7200RPM
Display(s) [Dell] UltraSharp 2407WFP (24" 1200x1920)
Case [CM Storm] Scout 2 Black
Power Supply [OCZ] ZT Series 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate,
1. "need" no, but its highly recommended, and temps will be better with a new application. How much of a difference can really vary.
2. they'll all be fine, just make sure the paste doesnt leak off onto anything but the GPU die.
3. i just use plain old tissues.
4. grain of rice, let the heatsink itself do the spreading with pressure. check temps.
Thanks for the help! Any way to make sure it doesn't spread off the pretty small die and onto the surrounding chips?

As you can see here it it quite easy for it to escape the central die and hit that bordering PCB island

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Thanks for the help! Any way to make sure it doesn't spread off the pretty small die and onto the surrounding chips?

As you can see here it it quite easy for it to escape the central die and hit that bordering PCB island

Just don't use too much TIM, and you should be fine.
I personally prefer to spread it with a card, but the method Mussels mentioned will work fine as well.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
thermal paste is just there to fill air gaps and allow for less than perfect mating between the two contact surfaces.. in one sense it can be said to be of negative value and ideally the less you use the better.. i like to spread mine i think you get a better idea of how much is needed to fully cover the mating surfaces but its probably safer to err on the tad too much side than not enough..

properly applied there isnt much difference between brands.. more is made of it than really should be..

trog

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Do I have to re-apply thermal paste? Is it fine just to put it back with the set stock thermal paste

Any time you break the seal on a GPU or CPU you need to remove the old past and apply new. Either of the application methods described above will work.

Just slapping the heatsink on old paste is very likely to get you air pockets, which is bad. That's why new paste is advised.

If you are worried about leakage, get a non-conductive TIM, like MX-4.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
Replacing thermal paste for a GPU hum?

take out Video card cooler, be ultra carefull with all VRM's thermal pads that are usually / self glued against your video card cooler, sometimes due heat cycles of normal use they got worn ...so be careful, clean them and place them back again ...

clean GPU die … you can use several products like arctic clean from arctic silver … or even isopropyl alcohol …which is pretty excellent, also lint-free tissues are requires for cleaning both, GPU die and VGa cooler [the one you took appart 1st…]

then apply a small dot on GPU die something like the image below

the centered one .. is the best option for GPU ! tak that in consideration please...

then place back the cooler [VGA cooler again .. as it came .. correctly thight all the sh*t and test your video card... ]
its pretty simple ... and remember to clean back everything prior to apply paste... old paste must be completely removed,

if there is something more... just ask !

If you are worried about leakage, get a non-conductive TIM, like MX-4.
also if you want to use the best TIM in this world use MX4 ... so far the best crap i have used! even for GPU's!

System Name The N Machinima
Processor Core i5 2500 (2nd Gen)
Motherboard MSI P67A GD65 B3
Cooling CM V6 GT
Memory Corsair dominator 2x2GB 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 760 windforce 3x
Storage Seagate 500GB/WD 500GB HDDs
Display(s) Samsung 22 Inch 1080p
Case CM 690 PLUS
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair GS 800
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores http://i.imgur.com/0O79u7Z.jpg
above images seems a good sample for idea.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
So after years of accumulating dust, I decided to clean out my ASUS GTX 670 DCU II.

After removing the heatsink to clean it out and also access the fans; I was left with a problem and I need answers:
  1. Do I have to re-apply thermal paste? Is it fine just to put it back with the set stock thermal paste
  2. What thermal pastes can I use? I have Arctic Silver 5, some ancient Zalman STG1 grease and a tube of CM paste included with the 212 EVO
  3. Can I use methylated spirits to clean off the existing grease?
  4. How much to apply? Where should it spread/be spread to?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. yes Id recommend it for better cooling heat transfer
2. AS5 is conductive so be cautious using it, just like mussels said, a grain of rice but id just use a card and spread a thin amount to the chip. To each there own on how they like to apply it ;)
3. use a clean fiber cloth and Isopropanol alcohol (the higher the better imho) I'd use 99%
4. read #2

I have a few different cards and they like to run hot, I use Glid Extreme thermal paste and spread it with the included applicator... You cant really over do it with this paste, as thin or thick it yields the same performance.

Reactions: Ebo
System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM
1. yes Id recommend it for better cooling heat transfer
2. AS5 is conductive so be cautious using it, just like mussels said, a grain of rice but id just use a card and spread a thin amount to the chip. To each there own on how they like to apply it ;)
3. use a clean fiber cloth and Isopropanol alcohol (the higher the better imho) I'd use 99%
4. read #2

I have a few different cards and they like to run hot, I use Glid Extreme thermal paste and spread it with the included applicator... You cant really over do it with this paste, as thin or thick it yields the same performance.

Arctic Silver 5 is not electrically conductive but slightly capacitive.

"Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Something to consider about Arctic silver 5 AKA as AS5?

It have Break in period….

Break-In Period Explained:
Due to the unique carrier fluid used and the shapes and sizes of the thermally conductive particles in Arctic Silver's thermal compounds it will take multiple thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to metal cap interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop slightly to significantly over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool.

Arctic Silver 5:
Break-in period: 200 hours (Break-in period will occur during normal use.) Temps will drop several degrees over the break-in period measured with a thermal diode in the hottest part of the CPU core.

Tinting the Heatsink and Metal cap:
Why tint the heatsink and metal cap? Simply put, it will lessen the break-in period. If the break-in period is reduced you will achieve maximum performance in less time
. Here is the list of things you will need to tint your heatsink and metal cap:

· Your new thermal compound
· An old credit card or a piece of hard plastic with a straight edge
· Coffee filter or lens cleaning cloth.

** Photo HS1 shows Céramique being used however, the method of tinting a heatsink or metal cap is the same for Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Alumina and Matrix Thermal Compounds. Determine what area on the base of the heatsink will contact the CPU cores once the heatsink is mounted.**

** Squeeze enough thermal compound onto the center of this area to create a small mound. By working the plastic tool (old credit card) back and forth in all directions (See green symbol in photo HS1) you will smooth out the compound and work it into heatsink. This will ensure optimum filling of the microscopic valleys in the metal where the CPU cores will contact the heatsink.**

Information Source'

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Arctic Silver 5 is not electrically conductive but slightly capacitive.

"Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
:wtf:

Same shit, same pile. :fear:

you Quoted * Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads** and * the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths*

Thanks for clarifying my post above on being conductive and can cause issues ;)

But to the OP, use caution with AS5 :cool:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
i preffer so much arctic MX 4 for the win ...

System Name Headshot
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Keyboard Logitech G710+
:wtf:

Same shit, same pile. :fear:

you Quoted * Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads** and * the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths*

Thanks for clarifying my post above on being capacitive and can cause issues ;)

But to the OP, use caution with AS5 :cool:

I am just pointing out the fact that there is a difference between conductivity and capacitance, as I constantly see users identify AS5 as conductive, which it is not. I have seen AS5 across connections before, on old Athlon XP CPUs with no issues. If it is to that point then way to much was applied or there was a sloppy application. Was not trying to discredit your statement, just a slight explanation :)

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
I am just pointing out the fact that there is a difference between conductivity and capacitance, as I constantly see users identify AS5 as conductive, which it is not. I have seen AS5 across connections before, on old Athlon XP CPUs with no issues. If it is to that point then way to much was applied or there was a sloppy application. Was not trying to discredit your statement, just a slight explanation :)

Thats almost like a religion, mine is better than yours ?

For years Ive been using the IC7 Diamond paste since of its day, and still is one of the best non conductive pastes out there, just execpt the fluid metal ones.

Now I use Polimatechs PK-3 and that comes up with just a minor better degrees than the old one, so in fact its just a small amount better(1-2 degrees cencious), it dosent have any breakin time, it just works right from the start. Its easy to apply and then youre good to go within 2 hours you have the full potential of your paste assuming you have put the right amount on from the start..

System Name Headshot
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Thats almost like a religion, mine is better than yours ?

For years Ive been using the IC7 Diamond paste since of its day, and still is one of the best non conductive pastes out there, just execpt the fluid metal ones.

Now I use Polimatechs PK-3 and that comes up with just a minor better degrees than the old one, so in fact its just a small amount better(1-2 degrees cencious), it dosen't have any break in time, it just works right from the start. Its easy to apply and then youre good to go within 2 hours you have the full potential of your paste assuming you have put the right amount on from the start..

I gave no preference of either, im just stating, with a link for proof, that AS5 is not conductive (electrically) but may have a slight capacitance which is why it is recommended to avoid contacts between circuits, it was previously stated that AS5 is conductive. I am not trolling which is better. Thanks.

Last edited: