• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Fallout 4 (Discussion)

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
This sounds like the sort of massive project for which a large mod will be done. There are people that go house by house, square meter by square meter outdoors and fix all that. Similar was done for FNV.
I predict F4 version of Relighting Skyrim will appear sooner or later. I also wonder whether they did anything about the horrible lighting system Skyrim had. There can only be 3 or 4 lighting sources casting shadows per ?? (not sure exactly what).

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Here are two random examples, nothing perfect but pretty much says it all for me.

The overhead lights (how are they even on? - there's no generators or power in the building from what I can see, though let's assume for argument's sake that they are turned on), are way too bright for not only their physical type, yet their texture indicates they are dim, damaged and possibly not working.
Yet beneath, the area is lit up like Christmas at the Oswalds.

What makes it worse is all this smoke floating around in indoor locations. I thought I was on a airliner to Washington in 1966 - couldn't see five feet in front of me with all the mile high cigar smoke.

High saturation+ high contrast+constant smoke = one head ache of an experience.
The shit's so bright I can see flees jumping off Dogmeat's back.

And AND! You can't shoot/turn off any lights, except the spot lamps/defense lights.

Also, what is every one doing in terms of loot management and carrying capacity after you wipe out an area of enemies? I noticed that if you fast travel and return all the bodies are gone. I've been rounding up all the loot after a battle, stuffing it in some container then making trips back and forth to scrap or donate it back at Sanctuary.

Attachments

• WTFlights.jpg
    WTFlights.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 877
  • WTFlights2.jpg
    WTFlights2.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Here are two random examples, nothing perfect but pretty much says it all for me.

The overhead lights (how are they even on? - there's no generators or power in the building from what I can see, though let's assume for argument's sake that they are turned on), are way too bright for not only their physical type, yet their texture indicates they are dim, damaged and possibly not working.

What makes it worse is all this smoke floating around in indoor locations. I thought I was on a airliner to Washington in 1966 - couldn't see five feet in front of me with all the mile high cigar smoke.

And AND! You can't shoot/turn off any lights, except the spot lamps/defense lights.

Also, what is every one doing in terms of loot management and carrying capacity after you wipe out an area of enemies? I noticed that if you fast travel and return all the bodies are gone. I've been rounding up all the loot after a battle, stuffing it in some container then making trips back and forth to scrap or donate it back at Sanctuary.

So, a moment to frame this. My recent experience with Fallout 3 and New Vegas means that my opinion is based off of games which absolutely required you to set gamma through the roof to see anything with the pip-boy light on.

Framing the discussion with that the lighting engine here at least allows you to see things...most of the time. I've been in the middle of building a base, and the lighting engine seems to just decide that a light won't generate any light. It's frustrating, but par for the course Bethesda. The particle effects are a drag on performance and lighting. I've found that by setting them, and god rays, low I can have a playable experience in the "downtown" section of Boston. It's kinda depressing, and they definitely need to fix that.

As far as loot, I was a pack rat. I explored the overworld, until I found a settlement. Once a settlement was established, I cleared out an area. I waddled my over encumbered butt back to the settlement, where I could strip everything down into components and build up a settlement. It's frustrating that the fast travel while over encumbered perk is locked behind such a high level (and 3 other perks), but it's definitely worth the investment. Problem is, by the time you've gotten that high of a level you're likely to have unlocked enough settlements that lugging around all that crap is a joke. I mean really, you get one 0.2 lb piece of steel from a 2.3 lb piece of armor? WTF Bethesda, I can get the same item from a 1 lb tray. The response they gave us was "people testing the game don't sell things, because they turn it into crafting items." The PR should have read "People don't sell things because it takes a 1500 cap investment and a ton of resources just to make a shop to sell at, and the shop has a budget of 250 caps so you can't really sell anything."

The game has problems. My top ten list of required fixes are as follows:
1) Lighting and particle effects - optimization so that they work without slowing the game to a crawl.
2) Balancing (weapons). Obsidian got this right with New Vegas. The top tier of each weapon style had a contender. Ballistics had the anti-material rifle, plasma had the rifle, and laser had its rifle. 4 works under a simple equation ballistic<laser<plasma. All the investment into ballistics might as well be useless when the .50 modification for the sniper rifle doesn't one hit enemies. Laser offers more damage, lest time between shots, more capacity, lower carry weight, and only winds up costing resources and having a minor accuracy (110 versus 112) penalty.
3) Crafting. Breaking down a bunch of crap to decrease settlement size, just so you know what you actually have, is a joke. I've had 2000+ lbs of crap to break down after going on a mass harvest of my settlements, which allowed me to reset the build size. If I could dump everything into a built device, and press a button to convert everything into its components, I'd be able to save hours of mindless clicking. On top of that, why does a 160 lb weight get converted into less than 20 lbs of lead and no steel? The breakdown of items is just idiotic.
4) Ammo. I'll say this again, Obsidian got this right. Common ammo produced a small number of resources when broken down, which can go to making useful ammo. Sorry, but 1000+ rounds of .38 ammunition disappeared insanely fast when I went hunting mirelurks. I want to break that .38 ammo down into .45 ammo, and absolutely murder a mirelurk with two shots to the face.
5) Settlement defenses. What absolute BS powers them is beyond my understanding. I don't always get notifications that settlements are under attack, when I do sometimes it's in the middle of a mission (and I can't get there in time), and even when I do sometimes they just bug out. The only hard and fast rule is that you fast travel there, and by the time you fully load your turrets have chewed through 90% of the attackers without any damage. Despite this, if I don't fast travel back the base is severely damaged. Why am I defending these places, if the defenses aren't repelling invasions? Heck, I've seen a party of supermutants lasered into ash outside their attack range and the assault sentry (near the murky settlement) lasered and missiled to death before opening fire. That kind of firepower should make defenses automatic, yet somehow it doesn't.

6) Settlements. Heck of a lot to cover here. Let's cover the basics. People shouldn't be captured if defenses would prevent raiders from ever entering the area. The occasional synth discovered, then murdered, inside settlements is good for flavor but means I have to keep those recruitment beacons on. Supply lines are crap when you get a maximum of twenty people, and all resources are shared only point to point. If my supply lines cover four settlements the resources should be shared everywhere. This point to point crap means 30-70% of my supplies can't be seen no matter where I am. Let's also add to this so truly crap settlement locations (Croup Manor and Hangman's Alley), where my people can be murdered while on a supply run if I'm anywhere near them (and thus enemies can spawn and murder them).
7) Perks. If you're going to institute a building system which requires harvesting everything and yields much lower amounts of resources than weight implies, you need strength and perks related to that. You also require charisma, to setup supply lines and build crafting stations. Intelligence is required for levelling, this means that to play with the new mechanics you need to have a character with low perception, endurance, agility, and luck. That means that you either forego content, power level, or compromise your build to get things setup. None of these options is acceptable. On top of that, there are some pretty broken perks. Combine the sniper and rifleman perks and you'll be unstoppable outside. Want to murder an alpha deathclaw, just open up with a combat rifle and the stagger will prevent retaliation. Want to actually make power armor an option, you'll need an enormous intelligence to get the nuclear physics perk to double fusion core life. Offloading the leveling system as they've done just makes you feel like they're incorporating the worst part of JRPG level grinders into a mediocre western RPG.
8) Enemies. The AI is just terrible. I've had ghouls be functionally invincible because their lunge makes them impossible to shoot. Likewise, I've watched settlers face off against a supermutant with only their fists while others chased enemies cross country rather than accepting their defeat. The old enemy bullet sponges sucked, but at least they had reliable actions. Now the AI seems to be fighting over whether it wants to murder you, or kill itself to avoid the embarassment of being dropped by a pipe pistol.
9) Base components. I look forward to finally getting solid items. The wood and metal items having holes makes no sense. You've got aesthetics winning out over functionality, while the item pallet is decidedly small. This needs to be rectified with a massive content patch soon. If not by Bethesda, the community will gladly do so.
10) Companions. This is...tough. The companions are chatty, and after the fifth time they question why you pick up that microscope because it's junk, murdering them seems like a good option. Between that, and Strong particularly hating almost everything (lock picking, getting into power armor, etc...), getting the minor bonuses they eventually offer is at best a dubious proposition. Then you've got things like Preston's perk, which is functionally invaluable because you never get attacked by less than three enemies unless they're a boss. I wish that the companions functioned like the SINK from New Vegas. You could shut them up once they became annoying, yet their inclusion inside the game was funny and awesome for a time.

In summary, this is a Bethesda game through and through. There's plenty to enjoy on the surface, all built atop a pile a failure. If you want a couple of hours it's a great game, but by the time you can realize all the mechanics (as they are hidden behind level walls) the inherent flaws are visible. That which keeps you going is a love of the story and world, because it definitely isn't the mechanics. The community will, as usual, have to go back in and fix them for this to truly be a great game. It is much better than 3/New Vegas in terms of stability though. Bug riddled, but stable.

Processor I5 4690K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Memory 16GB Crucial BallistiX 1866Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage 850 PRO 1TB SSD, 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS 1440P, 144HZ 16:9
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
In summary, this is a Bethesda game through and through. There's plenty to enjoy on the surface, all built atop a pile a failure. If you want a couple of hours it's a great game, but by the time you can realize all the mechanics (as they are hidden behind level walls) the inherent flaws are visible. That which keeps you going is a love of the story and world, because it definitely isn't the mechanics. The community will, as usual, have to go back in and fix them for this to truly be a great game. It is much better than 3/New Vegas in terms of stability though. Bug riddled, but stable.

I agree with basically everything you just stated.

I just now about a hour ago finished my 1st play through of 4. Overall, a much enjoyed game... 120 hours total for the main story, did a lot of side quests as well.. Still have some places to explore, but will probably be nothing really to do anymore. Maybe I will replay the game and go all Stealth/Silenced/Melee build or something. Definitely going to get the season pass I think, and wait for some mods. I am already using a mod that lowers your weapon as you run around, instead of always being pointed upward, along with a power armor skin. Theres a fair amount of mods on Nexus, but I really would like to see more of a variety of building textures/materals along with lighting optimizations, and I am sure the list goes on.

I will admit, I am a cheater, and increased my carryweight... and gave myself lots of Steel/Wood. I did get quite carried away with a couple of my settlements. :rolleyes:

One thing I really hope to see like you mentioned is actual functioning attacks on settlements, perhaps where they defend themselves if your not there, and bigger attacks... I mean most of the enemies that attack are shredded up by laser turrets in no time. It would be neat to see enemy factions in the game take your settlements over with a giant raid and you travel there to your base full of enemies. It just needs much more variety and I feel like it could be its own mini game with the Commonwealth defending your settlements. Kind of like a dynamic war zone.

I honestly was enjoying the game so much all these bugs you pointed out kind of just sat there in background for me unnoticed. I guess it really depends on tolerance. These games always bring me back just because of Skyrim, and New Vegas... the game engine just has its own uniqueness to it, and most people will not even notice many of the things you even pointed out. That being said, yes a typical Bethesda game, where the modders will once again make the game into what it should have been. It is nice to see new features however with the building within the game and what not, I do enjoy that. Hope to see it be refined more by bethesda.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Fallout 4 patch 1.2.37.0.0 (non beta) just downloaded on steam

• General memory and stability improvements
  • Performance improvements inside the Corvega Assembly Plant
  • Fixed issue with player becoming stuck in terminals

Last edited:

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I agree with basically everything you just stated.

I just now about a hour ago finished my 1st play through of 4. Overall, a much enjoyed game... 120 hours total for the main story, did a lot of side quests as well.. Still have some places to explore, but will probably be nothing really to do anymore. Maybe I will replay the game and go all Stealth/Silenced/Melee build or something. Definitely going to get the season pass I think, and wait for some mods. I am already using a mod that lowers your weapon as you run around, instead of always being pointed upward, along with a power armor skin. Theres a fair amount of mods on Nexus, but I really would like to see more of a variety of building textures/materals along with lighting optimizations, and I am sure the list goes on.

I will admit, I am a cheater, and increased my carryweight... and gave myself lots of Steel/Wood. I did get quite carried away with a couple of my settlements. :rolleyes:

One thing I really hope to see like you mentioned is actual functioning attacks on settlements, perhaps where they defend themselves if your not there, and bigger attacks... I mean most of the enemies that attack are shredded up by laser turrets in no time. It would be neat to see enemy factions in the game take your settlements over with a giant raid and you travel there to your base full of enemies. It just needs much more variety and I feel like it could be its own mini game with the Commonwealth defending your settlements. Kind of like a dynamic war zone.

I honestly was enjoying the game so much all these bugs you pointed out kind of just sat there in background for me unnoticed. I guess it really depends on tolerance. These games always bring me back just because of Skyrim, and New Vegas... the game engine just has its own uniqueness to it, and most people will not even notice many of the things you even pointed out. That being said, yes a typical Bethesda game, where the modders will once again make the game into what it should have been. It is nice to see new features however with the building within the game and what not, I do enjoy that. Hope to see it be refined more by bethesda.

I think more than any of that, for me, it means that modders will make the game into what I think it should have been. Somewhere, somehow, someone will make the mods that give me the game I want to play. They did with Skyrim, and Oblivion, and I expect them to follow suit here...

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Fallout 4 patch 1.2.37.0.0 (non beta) just downloaded on steam

• Performance improvements inside the Corvega Assembly Plant
Right after I freaking finish that area! Man if I'd only played GTA V today, or lifted some weights my natty bras or just something...

Argh.

EDIT: Confirmed working, Corvega does not have performance drop when facing certain directions(lighting issue I think) in various rooms.

Last edited:
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
I think more than any of that, for me, it means that modders will make the game into what I think it should have been. Somewhere, somehow, someone will make the mods that give me the game I want to play. They did with Skyrim, and Oblivion, and I expect them to follow suit here...

Yeah I agree. Thats how I am with GTA V atm.

I used a good amount of mods in Skyrim as well, really made the game better.

I am really hoping to see a possible dual weild mod for weapons... I want to use 2 swords.

Also I would like to see some weapon display pieces that you can display your weapons on.

It seems as though the modding community has already started fixing a lot of the BS.

Craft able ammunition:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1018/?

Quieter Settlements:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2819/?

.ini/config tweaker:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?

Armor class (regular, sturdy, heavy) modification:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4550/?

Power armor can have a material and paint modification:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4619/?

Loot able (and build able) power armor frames:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4365/?

I have to say, Bethesda has yet to release modding tools or really give us an idea of what their "ongoing" DLC content will be. Despite this, the community is already fixing their crap. This is why a half baked release is tolerable. I'm glad the community seems to care about this game more than Bethesda.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Heh, just figured out this must be a console port... Couldn't figure out how to assign people to resources, then finally realized you can move around in workshop mode. I always automatically map movement keys to
my arrow keys. When in workshop mode, those keys control the workshop menu, but you can't move! Have to set up a 2nd controller now just for movement keys, sheesh. At least the last patch seems to have
made the game run a bit better.

Ahhzz

Staff member
It seems as though the modding community has already started fixing a lot of the BS.

Craft able ammunition:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1018/?

Quieter Settlements:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2819/?

.ini/config tweaker:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?

Armor class (regular, sturdy, heavy) modification:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4550/?

Power armor can have a material and paint modification:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4619/?

Loot able (and build able) power armor frames:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4365/?

I have to say, Bethesda has yet to release modding tools or really give us an idea of what their "ongoing" DLC content will be. Despite this, the community is already fixing their crap. This is why a half baked release is tolerable. I'm glad the community seems to care about this game more than Bethesda.
still wonder why there's not a "gather unassigned settlers" mod....

Cooling Swiftech H140X
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
still wonder why there's not a "gather unassigned settlers" mod....

They usually seem to stand around all in one area anyway and do a whole lot of nothing.

I would like to see an AOE scrap mod... I want to be able to switch from individual scrapping to AOE scrapping. To much click.... (Although its not terrible using the Logitech gaming software to bind a thumb key to enter.) - Just annoying scrapping every little single item.

Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taichi
Cooling Wraith Max HSF
Memory 2 x 8GB G.Skill FlareX @ 3400 MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 250GB/Western Digital SN550 Blue 1TB/Crucial MX500 500GB (Ubuntu)/Toshiba 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UD68-P
Case Fractal Design Define R6 TG
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Corsair K75 (Cherry Brown Switches)
Haven't tried this mod out yet, but it seems to be aimed at fixing many of the lighting issues people are discussing. Looks good in the screenshots.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2139/?

I've taken a break from FO4 to finish Trails in the Sky SC. I'll probably come back to it and start a new character once there are more mods out.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

Depressing, but not unexpected. Setting shadow quality down from the detected (Ultra) to medium allowed the high density areas to actually be playable for me.

I don't get it. Other people claim that they've had somewhat crash free experiences. I have not. Between cell loads, specifically doors, the game often decides to dump to desktop with nary a warning.

Between that, and the ridiculous amount of annoyance that settlements are causing, I'm rapidly getting tired of this game. Settlements require an insane investment of caps to make happy, the happiness is almost completely random, and the content really doesn't stretch to the level 70 mark before enemies convert from difficult challenges to absolute bullet sponges. On top of all of this, Bethesda has been surprisingly quiet. I'm starting to think that this is just another Fallout 3, where the modding community is the only reason it had real longevity.

Side note, F*** the Minutemen. Get two quests, rush out and do them, only to have the exact same quests waiting for you when you get back. It's great for companion rep grinding, but it sucks as a mechanic. I preferred fast traveling naked with Cait.

Cooling Swiftech H140X
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5051/?

Really liking this mod.... Probably the only reason i like the minutemen is the castle... but yeah the quests are really annoying after you already finished/cleared the place out.

Its trying to simulate a changing wasteland.... but it just fails since most of the time i do the quests I have already discovered and cleared the building and I just have to fast travel there and kill everybody real quick.

Its like how are raiders harassing you when your settlement is surrounded by gatling lasers lol?

Cooling Swiftech H140X
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
So I complained about the interior lighting a lot:

The contrast/brightness of interiors is starting to ruin the game for me to the point where I don't want to enter any buildings(zones, not just open world buildings).
I don't understand why everything is lit up like a tanning salon bed. Besides being painful to look at, it doesn't work with the surrounding environment nor does it mechanically make sense because there's no light source putting out these K.C. Jeep mounted mag lights everywhere.
Assuming no spot lights, the only lights to be seen around are often the halogen long tube shaped ones. They're everywhere, you first find them in Sanctuary which aren't actually active, they're just objects on a ceiling, looking dingy and worse for wear. They have no power running to them, of course they don't, the building(s) has no power itself.
Yet there they are, lit up making me wonder why I am even bothering to build generators and add lamps.

WHERE ARE ALL THESE LIGHT SOURCES COMING FROM!!!??!?!

I was having this same thought on the toilet and in the shower. The problem is that it may actually have to be room by room, rather than a global adjustment, because these lights are sometimes static and not dynamic - as if it's just a hyper contrasted set of textures.
Then I go and play some Alien Isolation with the uber graphics mod and the removed Alien so I can explore. It's breath taking how good and detailed it is - the lighting is really a sight to behold.

It makes it difficult to go back to Fallout, even though it is nice looking in it's own right.

Then I stumbled across this same mod Ralfies posted. Here are two quick screenshots at random in the Corvega factory. It's not perfect and there's still work to be done however it's definitely better. It also works for parts out door as well - takes some of the over bearing bloom/contrast off of light surfaces.

You can also combine that with a defogger mod (there are several, just search 'fog' on the Fallout 4 Nexus).
I've kept the fog in mine, as I think it's the default lights that make the fog bad, not the fog itself.

Haven't tried this mod out yet, but it seems to be aimed at fixing many of the lighting issues people are discussing. Looks good in the screenshots.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2139/?

I've taken a break from FO4 to finish Trails in the Sky SC. I'll probably come back to it and start a new character once there are more mods out.[

Attachments

• Fallout4_2015_12_13_18_19_43_601.jpg
    Fallout4_2015_12_13_18_19_43_601.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 574
  • Fallout4_2015_12_13_18_20_50_327.jpg
    Fallout4_2015_12_13_18_20_50_327.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 600
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
Anybody has any idea to fix flickering compass with AMD graphic card without mod? The latest Crimson driver update doesn't do it for me.
Also, anybody could run Fallout 4 with FRTC in Crimson? doesn't seem to work. Too lazy to install previous driver lol Crimson is purty.

Honestly it's driver after driver problem since I first own 390, Crimson or not.
/rant

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
There are definitely tear jerkers in these games.

Took down West Everett Estates and after cleaning up the place, scavenging, scrapping and transporting back to Sanctuary, I went into the bunker. I found the terminal of the Tournquist family (Wayne) and read through the logs. This one to me is succinct and concise. It tells you all you need to know and you can fill in the other parts yourself. Though despite being short, it's no less impacting.

Specifically, it's the waiting and uncertainty that must be difficult, when you don't know where someone is - and of course having to all the while keep up a positive attitude in front of children. I suppose though of the same merit, having a purpose such as helping the children survive, keeps you busy instead of wallowing in unhappiness.... which makes me think of Randall Clark from New Vegas : Honest Hearts.

This is one I will never forget. If nothing else, you pause and have a moment of silence afterwards. It's interesting how fiction alone can affect you.

And while an expected undertone of sadness throughout his remaining forty-seven years of survival after the Great War, it was knowing that while he lost his first wife and son, that he would have to relive it again. The second woman he fell in love with, losing the child at birth and then never waking up from the drugs used to sedate her. What a crushing scenario - cannot imagine the moments after wards, sitting there alone with their bodies, once again the feeling of survivor's guilt pushing him to consider suicide.

I am much more moved by the letters/terminal logs that you read, (I recommend it for this story especially). This series was done well in that you would come across the entries all over the DLC's content area. In retrospect you would come to realize that you too had travelled the canyons like he did and got an appreciation of all the different places he found and the things he endured.

Despite it being a sad situation, I am looking for to some more memorable experiences like that.

Last edited:
There are definitely tear jerkers in these games.

Took down West Everett Estates and after cleaning up the place, scavenging, scrapping and transporting back to Sanctuary, I went into the bunker. I found the terminal of the Tournquist family (Wayne) and read through the logs. This one to me is succinct and concise. It tells you all you need to know and you can fill in the other parts yourself. Though despite being short, it's no less impacting.

Specifically, it's the waiting and uncertainty that must be difficult, when you don't know where someone is - and of course having to all the while keep up a positive attitude in front of children. I suppose though of the same merit, having a purpose such as helping the children survive, keeps you busy instead of wallowing in unhappiness.... which makes me think of Randall Clark from New Vegas : Honest Hearts.

This is one I will never forget. If nothing else, you pause and have a moment of silence afterwards. It's interesting how fiction alone can affect you.

And while an expected undertone of sadness throughout his remaining forty-seven years of survival after the Great War, it was knowing that while he lost his first wife and son, that he would have to relive it again. The second woman he fell in love with, losing the child at birth and then never waking up from the drugs used to sedate her. What a crushing scenario - cannot imagine the moments after wards, sitting there alone with their bodies, once again the feeling of survivor's guilt pushing him to consider suicide.

I am much more moved by the letters/terminal logs that you read, (I recommend it for this story especially). This series was done well in that you would come across the entries all over the DLC's content area. In retrospect you would come to realize that you too had travelled the canyons like he did and got an appreciation of all the different places he found and the things he endured.

Despite it being a sad situation, I am looking for to some more memorable experiences like that.

Have you been to the Beantown Brewery and Ration Stockpile yet? If not, I'd recommend doing it in that order. There are two named individuals that have a distinct story involving a third.

Additionally, you should view the terminals for the raiders. Given that they have some interaction, the order you sweep them out largely influences terminal recordings.

Finally, what about the creepy creepy teddy bears in the tunnel beneath Diamond City? That's 100% creepy, but entirely fun to stumble across.

Bethesda is decent at pinning a bunch of little stories into a universe. They're crap with stability, mechanics, and creating a large story that feels large. This is why I look forward to, and dread, the DLCs. Fallout 3 had basically no common links between its DLC. I hope they learned from Obsidian, but I'll reserve judgement until its warranted.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Unfortunately still having the VATS issue when using the Xbox 360 gamepad - can't always select the body part that I want.
Also, any one seen a mod or know how to reduce the pip boy's light brightness/flashlight brightness.

Lastly, I've noticed that over half of my planted food resources in settlements, are not accessible after you place them and nor do they ever bear any fruit.
I believe it's down to spacing, which I've just read elsewhere. They suggest loading/reloading/travelling back until they become selectable again, then move them. No luck yet.

Last edited:

Ahhzz

Staff member
I know you can change colors for the Pip somewhere in the settings, Conroer..... I saw that somewhere......

Unfortunately still having the VATS issue when using the Xbox 360 gamepad - can't always select the body part that I want.
Also, any one seen a mod or know how to reduce the pip boy brightness.

Lastly, I've noticed that over half of my planted food resources in settlements, are not accessible after you place them and nor do they ever bear any fruit.
I believe it's down to spacing, which I've just read elsewhere. They suggest loading/reloading/travelling back until they become selectable again, then move them. No luck yet.

Brightness on the pip-boy isn't changeable as yet. Changing the color to something with less contrast does work.

The plants are...crappy. I've had the same issue with the tatos at Abernathy farms (the ones that Bethesda put in). Between that, and certain settlements not producing bottlecaps, leads me to believe that Bethesda has more issues to deal with.

Yay.