• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Product Reviews.

System Name In the works
Processor 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87
Cooling 5x120mm
Memory 8GB Sniper Gskill 1833
Video Card(s) MSI 970 Gaming
Storage 2x 240gb SSD's + 1TB seagate
Display(s) 27" Acer 1920x1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply OCZ Power 600W Modular
Keyboard Corsait K70 with red switches
Software Win10
Hey everyone, I know I haven't been to active on the forums lately but I do still creep the top threads every other day. One thing I have always done almost religiously is check the newest product reviews and it wasn't until recently that I really see a flaw with the way products are scored.

Ive always trusted the reviewers and even bought several items considering the TPU.com review. The problem I see is that TPU gives a score of what I'm assuming is a 1-10. One being a poor product, 5 being a mediocre product, and 10 being a GREAT product. No problem there right? Well, Kinda. The problem is that the lowest score ever(that I can find) was a 6.0. Now I'm not denying that TPU reviews some great products but on the scale of 1-10 I think there should be some adjustments.

I want to point out the the 6.0 was this item - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/Equalizer/

Value & Conclusion

• Easy adjustable DPI setting
  • The look of the mouse
  • Rubber grip pad is a nice idea
  • Thin and lightweight cord
  • Just above average ergonomics, but only just

• Performance
  • Tracking
  • Triple-Threat button performance
  • Features
  • Drivers

--Look at the thumbs down section! Is that not almost every function of a mouse?

Now, I understand that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I also understand that there is the possibility that TPU may get some perks from certain retailers. I'm not judging, but I want accurate scores.

Conclusion - The grading system is off or I'm completely missing something. I want to continue to trust you TPU! I think the reviewers should get together and evaluate how they score items.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
You have a point.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I don't think they will waste there time on 1-5

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I don't thing they will waste there time on 1-5

This. I think they just start by not reviewing much "cheap junk" in the first place. That would fill the void you are looking for.

System Name In the works
Processor 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87
Cooling 5x120mm
Software Win10
While I understand what you're saying. You don't really know if something is junk before reviewing it. Even the best manufactures have made piss poor products. Referencing the review i posted above I think its the way they rate these items.

My .02

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
If you buy a beat up, rusty, dirty, ugly car, it drives fine, does it get a 1 score? or 5 ? or 8 because the price was fair?

I've mentioned it countless times. The score is just a number that we put on a review for people who skip to the conclusion page, dont even bother reading that and look at the score only (for various reasons). After that they decide whether to read the rest of the review, or only the conclusion.

System Name In the works
Processor 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87
Cooling 5x120mm
Software Win10
If you buy a beat up, rusty, dirty, ugly car, it drives fine, does it get a 1 score? or 5 ? or 8 because the price was fair?

I've mentioned it countless times. The score is just a number that we put on a review for people who skip to the conclusion page, dont even bother reading that and look at the score only (for various reasons). After that they decide whether to read the rest of the review, or only the conclusion.

The difference is that you're reviewing brand new products(unless I'm missing something) that are advertised to perform very specific tasks. I'm not trying to be negative or counter-constructive. I see that the score "is just a number" but I think that the way that number is determined could be adjusted to accurately reflect the performance/honesty of the product.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I've said this a bunch of times, but all scoring on the internet is arbitrary. I've thought about this too, but there's not really any point to it.

Some things can be properly measured though. I imagine PSU's are the easiest things to score. Have x performance for y scores, it's pretty straightforward. GPU's could be similar I guess, but what would you compare them to? What would it take for a GPU to get a 10 in performance? Performance/dollars are probably the safest thing to look at, but from what perspective are you reviewing? High end or budget?

If I ever start to review things I would probably just have a random number generator at the end of each article. :laugh:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
brand new products(unless I'm missing something) that are advertised to perform very specific tasks.
True. So if the product does the advertised very specific tasks, which means work in the computer, and everything else is broken, what should the score be?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
True. So if the product does the advertised very specific tasks, which means work in the computer, and everything else is broken, what should the score be?

Exactly. Think of it like gradeschool scoring. 60% would be below average. 50% would be a complete fail score, meaning it basically fails to function for it's purpose.

It's a s arbitrary as anything, honestly.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
The problem with scores, particularly as granular as it is here (tenths), is that there isn't a (known/public) deduction system. No reader, or even reviewer, can look at the points in the conclusion and say, yep, that is an 8.5. Its subjective, which erodes greatly at its usefulness. If W1zz gave the same product to different reviewers, they would all have different scores. Its hard enough to justify a 1-10, and even more difficult to differentiate between a 8.7 and 8.6 product.

We went about it a different way and just use FAIL, MEH, and APPROVED. While that is also far from perfect, I think it gives the reader the same idea, but leaves a lot less ambiguity. We are likely going to modify our system here soon enough and add some other things (Editor's choice... Bang for the buck... things along those lines. Again no system is perfect

Ironically, when I read TPU reviews, I don't even look at the number as its so useless (to me). I read the conclusion and the Pro's and Con's (along with the rest of it), and ignore the number.

System Name In the works
Processor 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87
Cooling 5x120mm
Software Win10

I can see this is going nowhere with you. So I will respectfully leave the conversation.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I don't think they will waste there time on 1-5

Yeah but for a mouse to have said problem should not be scoring 6 out of ten even more so with said issue's.

And with the bad going things about this mouse it's more like a 2 at very best haha.

With any reviews you better read though them and ignore the scoring.

I am not sure why OP is so bothered by the grading. It is a subjective opinion to make things look pretty.

When I look at reviews, I don't bother with the final scores or whatnot. I read the review and determine it on my own.

System Name In the works
Processor 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87
Cooling 5x120mm
Software Win10
I am not sure why OP is so bothered by the grading. It is a subjective opinion to make things look pretty.

When I look at reviews, I don't bother with the final scores or whatnot. I read the review and determine it on my own.

I'm not "bothered" by the scoring. I simply saw what I thought was a minor flaw in their system so I decided to say something about it. Some people have agreed with me, and some haven't. I normally don't look at the number and its not that big of a deal. Some have said that its arbitrary and it is but just slapping a number on a product that has absolutely no value is a little silly IMO. I think that if that's all it is, slapping a number on there, why use it?

Again, I was just trying to gain some insight on the manner. I never was "so bothered" but I think I bothered a few people by asking the question. Anyway, I could care less now and wish I wouldn't even have posted it.

I'm not "bothered" by the scoring. I simply saw what I thought was a minor flaw in their system so I decided to say something about it. Some people have agreed with me, and some haven't. I normally don't look at the number and its not that big of a deal. Some have said that its arbitrary and it is but just slapping a number on a product that has absolutely no value is a little silly IMO. I think that if that's all it is, slapping a number on there, why use it?

Again, I was just trying to gain some insight on the manner. I never was "so bothered" but I think I bothered a few people by asking the question. Anyway, I could care less now and wish I wouldn't even have posted it.

I feel the bold part is the key. Review, no matter how fair it is, is going to be subjective. Readers have to determine whether it's worth or not.

Score, why use it? Because we all are used to seeing some sort of score in our entire lives. It makes things prettier and looks more complete with a score at the end. Do I like it? No. But it's really a minor inconvenience and completely optional.

You say you find a minor flaw in the scoring system. I don't see a flaw. So, it goes back to being a subjective matter. The bold part: Some will agree with you. Some won't.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
The problem I see is that TPU gives a score of what I'm assuming is a 1-10. One being a poor product, 5 being a mediocre product, and 10 being a GREAT product. No problem there right? Well, Kinda. The problem is that the lowest score ever(that I can find) was a 6.0. Now I'm not denying that TPU reviews some great products but on the scale of 1-10 I think there should be some adjustments.

I want to point out the the 6.0 was this item - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/Equalizer/
This is true of most reviews anywhere, be it computer products, video games, or some other such thing. I don't know if it has anything with maintaining relations for review copies or just simply something so ingrained in review culture that reviewers only give something below 8.8 (or its equivalent) when the reviewed item is a blatant disaster. As such, it's just narrows the scale and moves up the baseline.

[RANT]

I'd think it be interesting if review scores start with a score of 5.0 (what an average or mediocre product in the reviewer's opinion should be rated) and the score could then move up or down from there. But not too much so that the extreme ends can be reserved for epic wins/fails when they appear... maybe something not too far from Standard Deviation? If stuff was graded more harshly, then those high and low scores would mean so much more. An 9.0 from a reviewer who gives that to almost everything is different from a 9.0 from a reviewer who scores most stuff in the 3.5 to 6.5 range, no? Instead of a score, TPU could also try to sum up a review with a single phrase or a sentence. Something like "Comfortable option for palm-grip users; everyone else, move along" or "Economical for its offered features but manufacturer's software remains sluggish". Reviews are subjective, so why use an objective scale, especially one where most of the scale is unused anyway?

[/RANT]