• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Ordered to Stop Selling 8600GT Retail Package

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
Oh boy...some graphic designer is going to get fired, and he was such a good one too. Theres no chance they will let him keep his job with eVGA asking for that much money...

ex_reven

This is freakin hilarious. I think it's just a creative dig. I like to see companies do this.

Yeah its good. But you have to think about other similar situations. Imagine if a company like Microsoft put shit on a heap of small companies in TV advertising, radio etc...small companies cant compete with that sort of bad publicity. So I guess they need to punish XFX in this case to ensure that in the future bigger companies cant turn around and go "well you let XFX do it! Why cant I???" Promotes some advertising stability and keeps companies in check i guess.

I mean, think about it in terms other than computing, It has happened before. I remember there was an advertisement of a SUV that was pulled off TV, it advertised the car eating other competitive brands :p.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
yeah while this one wasnt exactly demeaning to EVGA, it could set a bad precedent - XFX can put competitors names on their products, why cant we?

If the law loosens, you could go buy yourself an 8800GTX from EVGA and find an 8500GT from sparkle in there, woops we just threw random unlreated stickers on there, my bad.

_dangtx_

its cool. even if its a loss in the short term, it made a huge publicity stunt for itself wich will be remmebered..id buy from them just cuz the yhad the bolls to do it :D

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
well heres a quick solution to this fiasco...... screw the box toss it away. slap the card & a few games into a plain OEM packaging box (the sort your HDD's sometimes come in if u mail orderd them online/offline) send them back to the retailers & your sorted....you will lose profit as the card has become an OEM product in stead of a full retail item but the objective has already been achieved. the card is back on the market

the only spanner which could potenticially fuck things up here is if XFX had the same EVGA dog logo on the heatsinks on the graphics cards....in which case you might as well sell the card a staff discount rates to internal staff..... Im sure they wouldnt complain

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
XFX need all the PR they can get, their products arent exactly the most reliable.. though I was told not all that long ago XFX had improved their quality 10-fold since the 7900 series fiasco. At the same time, I can think of one potential XFX partner that likely wont be too happy about their behaviour.

ex_reven

well heres a quick solution to this fiasco...... screw the box toss it away. slap the card & a few games into a plain OEM packaging box (the sort your HDD's sometimes come in if u mail orderd them online/offline) send them back to the retailers & your sorted....you will lose profit as the card has become an OEM product in stead of a full retail item but the objective has already been achieved. the card is back on the market

the only spanner which could potenticially fuck things up here is if XFX had the same EVGA dog logo on the heatsinks on the graphics cards....in which case you might as well sell the card a staff discount rates to internal staff..... Im sure they wouldnt complain

Thats a quick solution, but it costs an incredible amount of money to do what your describing. You have to employ people to rebox the card, anti static devices need to be installed, you need to buy OEM boxes, you need to lower the price (as you said its an OEM product now), you need to pay for retrieval and delivery which means paying couriers and truck drivers, you need a factory in which you rebox the product, if the item is shipped internationally your screwed. On top of this, all the money that went into the advertising, graphic design and marketing of the product is wasted as they are advertisining a product that isnt even available yet.

...But it still beats scrapping them from sale I guess :p.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
you have to look really hard at that. I looked at the first picture, and I did notice something in the drool. Without magnifying it, you would never know. I guess competing companies check over everything the other company(ies) are doing from manufacturing to sales and packaging and marketing. Otherwise, they wouldnt have known.

also, you have to admit, drooling over eVGA should be a compliment.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Thats a quick solution, but it costs an incredible amount of money to do what your describing. You have to employ people to rebox the card, anti static devices need to be installed, you need to buy OEM boxes, you need to lower the price (as you said its an OEM product now), you need to pay for retrieval and delivery which means paying couriers and truck drivers, you need a factory in which you rebox the product, if the item is shipped internationally your screwed. On top of this, all the money that went into the advertising, graphic design and marketing of the product is wasted as they are advertisining a product that isnt even available yet.
...But it still beats scrapping them from sale I guess :p.

Very true & I cant argue with that. but saying that they cant continue selling the product due to EVGA asking for compensation...so the point of paying carriers to bring the product back is negible as they would have to be called back anyway or face being sued (if it hasnt happend already) or paying a lot more compensation to EVGA.

& I partially agree with the money wasted on advertising & graphic design.

its a waste but not a total waste.

Theoretically the money that went into advertising & graphic design isnt wasted because they product their advertising hasnt changed. as for the graphics department...yes its wasted as their gonna have to rebatch the lot. but I would say that the guy who drew the EVGA logo onto XFX's graphic already has lets say 'moved on' & depending on what his salary was that would go to pay for compensation & also help with the rebatching & remarketing of the product. so not a total waste. If XFX has an outside company doing their logos they XFX has the oppotunity to go headhunting for the person that was the cause of all their troubles. thats 'IF' thats how XFX are internally structured.

the priorities now is trying to get the product back onto the market as soon as possible to avoid more losses. with all procedures taken into account, I wouldnt worry about the cost. at this point in time even I myself would have known that its no use still trying to profit from this as there is just no way u can recover without having to spend more cash.

they cant sell the product as is at discount prices because its been recalled. so the only way they can try to minimise loss would be to sell the product at discount prices & try recovering that way. If i was working for XFX & that oppotunity came up, i wouldnt be one to refuse...theres nothing physically wrong with the product. & its not as if your going to but a few thousand of them & try to flog them off on the black market