• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Drive PX 2 Mobile Supercomputer

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA announced the Drive PX 2, the first in-car AI deep-learning device. This lunchbox sized "mobile supercomputer" embeds up to twelve CPU cores, a "Pascal" GPU built on the 16 nm FinFET process, 6 TFLOP/s of raw compute power, and 24 deep-learning TOps of compute power usable for deep-learning applications; the chips are liquid-cooled, draw 250W in all, and give the car a very powerful deep-learning device for self-driving cars. The device itself will be offered to car manufacturers to redesign and co-develop self-driving cars with.

The press-release follows.

Accelerating the race to autonomous cars, NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today launched NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 -- the world's most powerful engine for in-vehicle artificial intelligence.

NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 allows the automotive industry to use artificial intelligence to tackle the complexities inherent in autonomous driving. It utilizes deep learning on NVIDIA's most advanced GPUs for 360-degree situational awareness around the car, to determine precisely where the car is and to compute a safe, comfortable trajectory.

"Drivers deal with an infinitely complex world," said Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO, NVIDIA. "Modern artificial intelligence and GPU breakthroughs enable us to finally tackle the daunting challenges of self-driving cars.
"NVIDIA's GPU is central to advances in deep learning and supercomputing. We are leveraging these to create the brain of future autonomous vehicles that will be continuously alert, and eventually achieve superhuman levels of situational awareness. Autonomous cars will bring increased safety, new convenient mobility services and even beautiful urban designs -- providing a powerful force for a better future."

24 Trillion Deep Learning Operations per Second
Created to address the needs of NVIDIA's automotive partners for an open development platform, DRIVE PX 2 provides unprecedented amounts of processing power for deep learning, equivalent to that of 150 MacBook Pros.

Its two next-generation Tegra processors plus two next-generation discrete GPUs, based on the Pascal architecture, deliver up to 24 trillion deep learning operations per second, which are specialized instructions that accelerate the math used in deep learning network inference. That's over 10 times more computational horsepower than the previous-generation product.

DRIVE PX 2's deep learning capabilities enable it to quickly learn how to address the challenges of everyday driving, such as unexpected road debris, erratic drivers and construction zones. Deep learning also addresses numerous problem areas where traditional computer vision techniques are insufficient -- such as poor weather conditions like rain, snow and fog, and difficult lighting conditions like sunrise, sunset and extreme darkness.

For general purpose floating point operations, DRIVE PX 2's multi-precision GPU architecture is capable of up to 8 trillion operations per second. That's over four times more than the previous-generation product. This enables partners to address the full breadth of autonomous driving algorithms, including sensor fusion, localization and path planning. It also provides high-precision compute when needed for layers of deep learning networks.

Deep Learning in Self-Driving Cars
Self-driving cars use a broad spectrum of sensors to understand their surroundings. DRIVE PX 2 can process the inputs of 12 video cameras, plus lidar, radar and ultrasonic sensors. It fuses them to accurately detect objects, identify them, determine where the car is relative to the world around it, and then calculate its optimal path for safe travel.

This complex work is facilitated by NVIDIA DriveWorks , a suite of software tools, libraries and modules that accelerates development and testing of autonomous vehicles. DriveWorks enables sensor calibration, acquisition of surround data, synchronization, recording and then processing streams of sensor data through a complex pipeline of algorithms running on all of the DRIVE PX 2's specialized and general-purpose processors. Software modules are included for every aspect of the autonomous driving pipeline, from object detection, classification and segmentation to map localization and path planning.

End-to-End Solution for Deep Learning
NVIDIA delivers an end-to-end solution -- consisting of NVIDIA DIGITS and DRIVE PX 2 -- for both training a deep neural network, as well as deploying the output of that network in a car.

DIGITS is a tool for developing, training and visualizing deep neural networks that can run on any NVIDIA GPU-based system -- from PCs and supercomputers to Amazon Web Services and the recently announced Facebook Big Sur Open Rack-compatible hardware. The trained neural net model runs on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 within the car.

Strong Market Adoption
Since NVIDIA delivered the first-generation DRIVE PX last summer, more than 50 automakers, tier 1 suppliers, developers and research institutions have adopted NVIDIA's AI platform for autonomous driving development. They are praising its performance, capabilities and ease of development.

"Using NVIDIA's DIGITS deep learning platform, in less than four hours we achieved over 96 percent accuracy using Ruhr University Bochum's traffic sign database. While others invested years of development to achieve similar levels of perception with classical computer vision algorithms, we have been able to do it at the speed of light."

-- Matthias Rudolph, director of Architecture Driver Assistance Systems at Audi
"BMW is exploring the use of deep learning for a wide range of automotive use cases, from autonomous driving to quality inspection in manufacturing. The ability to rapidly train deep neural networks on vast amounts of data is critical. Using an NVIDIA GPU cluster equipped with NVIDIA DIGITS, we are achieving excellent results."

-- Uwe Higgen, head of BMW Group Technology Office USA
"Due to deep learning, we brought the vehicle's environment perception a significant step closer to human performance and exceed the performance of classic computer vision."

-- Ralf G. Herrtwich, director of Vehicle Automation at Daimler
"Deep learning on NVIDIA DIGITS has allowed for a 30X enhancement in training pedestrian detection algorithms, which are being further tested and developed as we move them onto NVIDIA DRIVE PX."

-- Dragos Maciuca, technical director of Ford Research and Innovation Center
The DRIVE PX 2 development engine will be generally available in the fourth quarter of 2016. Availability to early access development partners will be in the second quarter.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Now my car will tell me to stop picking my nose.

More of this..

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
"World's First AI Supercomputer," this?

Talk about PR department on steroids.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I hope they're planning on using a separate cooling loop. If they're thinking about tying that in to a car's cooling system, they're going to be dealing with ~90c water temps as-is.

Edit: Are any of you WCG or F@H members thinking what I'm thinking?

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Now my car will tell me to stop picking my nose.
For the Audi's, BMW's, and Daimlers the DNN calculates the optimum nose picking experience
For the Ford, the DNN calculates how you can juggle nose picking, picking your fantasy football team, and getting to the nearest McDonalds.
Quick screengrab of the Pascal GPUs on the reverse side of the PX2 unit

and the obligatory numbers slide...

Volvo announced as the launch partner for the system.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Edit: Are any of you WCG or F@H members thinking what I'm thinking?
The slide shows 8 TFlOp versus 7 TFlOp of Titan X so, no. This wouldn't be bad for those workloads but most of its hardware would go to waste too.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
The slide shows 8 TFlOp versus 7 TFlOp of Titan X so, no. This wouldn't be bad for those workloads but most of its hardware would go to waste too.
I'm guessing that as an automotive part the replacement pricing will be out of all proportion with its actual cost of manufacture ;). GDDR5 chips and dual GPUs in less than a 250W power envelope tends to indicate a mid/lower tier GPU, so a repeat of Kepler and Maxwell? GP104/106 first for consumers, GP100 initially for Tesla.

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
Still a far cry from Knight Industries Two Thousand.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
as powerful as 150 Macbook Pro... Apple has got to step up their self-driving cars project if they want to keep up with Nvidia as they have not produce a hardware the size of a lunchbox to house a specialized AI that can learn, think & reason yet despite they got more bank than a company that sells pixel pushers. Same goes to Google as they too do not have a proper hardware to fight what Nvidia has unveiled at the recent keynote, named the DRIVE PX 2.

as powerful as 150 Macbook Pro... Apple has got to step up their self-driving cars project if they want to keep up with Nvidia as they have not produce a hardware the size of a lunchbox to house a specialized AI that can learn, think & reason yet despite they got more bank than a company that sells pixel pushers. Same goes to Google as they too do not have a proper hardware to fight what Nvidia has unveiled at the recent keynote, named the DRIVE PX 2.

The actually learning happens off-site not in the cars computer. Atleast according to what they told Ryan over at PCPerspective.

Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
I think putting a special box with large capacity HDDs to let the AI "sit" in the car to drive, index addresses, locations & whatnot would be a more realistic option IMO... much better than over a wireless network where constant update can prove to be a hassle for some.

I think putting a special box with large capacity HDDs to let the AI "sit" in the car to drive, index addresses, locations & whatnot would be a more realistic option IMO... much better than over a wireless network where constant update can prove to be a hassle for some.

That's what all driver-less cars have been doing so far. I haven't seen the Press-Conference but if its anything like the past 2yrs Nvidia is pushing for workload to drive more sensors on the car.

there's always room for AI to grow.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Thanks for driving evolution, Nvidia.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
The idea is not to evolve the neural net in isolation but for all vehicles using the system to upload to the server so that every system connected to it gains from the combined data input/experience of all inputs. Every input from every vehicle adds to the knowledge base - the neural net develops faster, and updates can be applied to vehicles that have not encountered the situations personally. It also means that using this method, new vehicles off the showroom floor don't start out relatively "dumb" since they have the cumulative deep learning experience of thousands or millions of other vehicles.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
The actually learning happens off-site not in the cars computer. Atleast according to what they told Ryan over at PCPerspective.

Yes, the DNN training ("learning") process will be off-site (and also on cloud using DIGITS) because it will take hours or even days to complete the training process.

The Drive PX2 will use the trained weight data to do online/direct image detection and classification for inference purposes (identifying road signs, avoiding obstacles, avoiding pedestrians, avoiding other vehicles, etc.), bear in mind that there will be hundreds or thousands of images to be processed each second so don't be surprised about the high GPU capability and "2,800 images/sec." claim. Yes, hardware wise it might go to waste, but in an autonomous driving it's always better be safe than sorry.

Oh and also it can be used to collect extra and new images and sensor data for further training purpose.

The idea is not to evolve the neural net in isolation but for all vehicles using the system to upload to the server so that every system connected to it gains from the combined data input/experience of all inputs. Every input from every vehicle adds to the knowledge base - the neural net develops faster, and updates can be applied to vehicles that have not encountered the situations personally. It also means that using this method, new vehicles off the showroom floor don't start out relatively "dumb" since they have the cumulative deep learning experience of thousands or millions of other vehicles.

That's more like it :)

The key is cumulative but localized training.
Cumulative means that the training process will get as much data as it want, so the model can minimized overfitting, and localized means that all the data you get will be relevant and not redundant.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
As @HumanSmoke says, the system pools knowledge and all units gather data, process and resolve. It's how Google's cars are all running. Novel stimuli get uploaded so all units can learn collectively.

Resistance is Futile.

mandatory liquid cooling? why not make the enclosure a passive cooler with some fins? are vehicle manufacturers ok with having to add another coolant loop (i mean this _has_ got to be on its own separate loop, pipes+reservoir+pump+radiator, or are they passing engine coolant [can reach 100ºc easily] throught this)

maybe if they can train the system to park in the garage for me it might have some usefullness. leave car in drive way, walk away, car opens garage door waits for it to rise, enter garage, commands garage door to lower and powers down

there's always room for AI to grow.
oh, and also, this isnt ai, its machine learning, although they might seem similar to most they are very different

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
So can my car run Crysis? :pimp:

I'll leave.....

Reactions: nem
System Name Rainbow
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
as powerful as 150 Macbook Pro
..which is similar to saying the car is as powerful as 150,000 gerbils (about 200 horsepower, by the way).

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
..which is similar to saying the car is as powerful as 150,000 gerbils (about 200 horsepower, by the way).
Don't let the Gerbil Liberation Army hear you talk like that

Reactions: xvi
System Name Build # 5
Processor I9-9900K
Motherboard ASUS-ROG Maximus XI Hero wifi
Cooling Cosair H100i aio
Memory G.SKILL 128GB (4 x 32GB) TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz Intel XMP 2.0
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX-3090 FTW3
Storage XPG S40G 2TB RGB Nand Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) LG-65CX-Oled
Case Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio card & BOSE Quietcomfort 35 II headphones
Power Supply CORSAIR-HX-1050
Software WIN 10/64
So when I overclock this thing, will I receive a speeding ticket? :)

System Name Rainbow
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Software Windows 10 Pro