• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Opteron A1100 Series 64-bit ARM Processors for the Datacenter

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD marks a major step towards delivering choice and innovation in the data center with the launch of the AMD Opteron A1100 System-on-Chip (SoC), formerly codenamed "Seattle". Jointly with its software and hardware partners, AMD is accelerating time-to-deployment of ARM-based systems and driving forward ecosystem support for ARM in the data center.

"The ecosystem for ARM in the data center is approaching an inflection point and the addition of AMD's high-performance processor is another strong step forward for customers looking for a data center-class ARM solution," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager, Enterprise Solutions, AMD. "The macro trend of convergence between networking, storage and servers is an important catalyst in this evolution. Customers now have access to 64-bit ARM processors from the only silicon provider that also has decades of experience delivering professional enterprise and embedded products."

The AMD Opteron A1100 SoC represents a key milestone for establishing ARM in the data center as well. "The AMD Opteron A1100 processor brings a new choice in scalability across network infrastructure and data centers," said Lakshmi Mandyam, director of server systems and ecosystems, ARM. "AMD brings recognized expertise in the server and embedded markets, making them an ideal partner to deliver a 64-bit ARM processor with the impressive balance of performance and power-efficiency to address an increasingly diverse set of workloads."

The AMD Opteron A1100 Series SoC is the first 64-bit ARM Cortex-A57-based platform from AMD. Utilizing ARM Cortex-A57 processors with high-speed network and storage connectivity and outstanding energy efficiency, the AMD Opteron A1100 Series SoC delivers a balanced total cost of ownership for storage, web and networking workloads.

AMD Opteron A1100 Series SoC specifications:
  • Up to eight ARM Cortex-A57 cores with 4MB shared Level 2 and 8MB of shared Level 3 cache
  • 2x 64-bit DDR3/DDR4 channels supporting up to 1866 MHz with ECC
  • 2x 10Gb Ethernet network connectivity
  • 8-lane PCI-Express Gen 3
  • 14x SATA 6 Gb/s ports
The AMD Opteron A1100 SoC is powering enterprise-class systems from SoftIron with its Overdrive3000 system for developers, as well as an upcoming lineup of Software Defined Storage solutions taking advantage of the processor's rich feature set.

"The secret of the AMD Opteron A1100 SoC's appeal is not just the cores, it's everything around the cores," said Norman Fraser, CEO of SoftIron. "If you've got an application where you need to move large amounts of data around quickly, you're going to love it."

AMD is also collaborating with Silver Lining Solutions (SLS) to integrate SLS' fabric technology in innovative dense server designs featuring the Opteron A1100 Series, targeted at streaming, web, and storage workloads for cloud and hyperscale datacenters. The SLS Fabric Interconnect incorporates a low-latency, energy efficient 60Gbps switching fabric and is available as a PCI Express expansion card or a standalone ASIC for custom server applications.

"We are very excited about working with AMD to bring power efficient fabric-based computing to market," said Dr. Ping-Kank Hsiung, Managing Director of Silver Lining Systems. "Combining the efficient AMD Opteron A1100 processor with our unique fabric will help drive down costs and power requirements of hyper scale computing and storage."

In addition to silicon innovation, AMD has been instrumental in supporting the 64-bit ARM software ecosystem, a critical component to any new processor, and has been working closely with Enterprise Linux leaders Red Hat and SUSE on operating system and application support.

"Red Hat and AMD share a vision of building an open, standards-based software ecosystem for highly converged designs based on 64-bit ARM architecture. As one of the first participants in Red Hat's ARM Partner Early Access Program, AMD has been instrumental in the testing and porting of the world's leading enterprise Linux platform to 64-bit ARM architecture", said Ranga Rangachari, vice president and general manager, Storage, Red Hat. "The arrival of the AMD Opteron A1100 SoC represents a major milestone to the ecosystem interested in driving converged infrastructure for storage, networking, and compute."

The AMD Opteron A1100 SoC has been in advanced development with technology partners and customers for several quarters and is available in mass production quantities today.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

That looks fantastic, there are so many workloads in the industry which can benefit from very high parallelism and for which per core performance is not so much a concern as the system is anyway waiting for filesystem, database or user input most of the time.

Deploying 64 or maybe more cores could create a pretty powerful system.

I wonder though if so many cores can be deployed together and what is the performance of such a core?

Last edited:
4-core tdp 25W, 8-core tdp 32W, quite high for arm processors. What manufacturing process are these made of(tsmc 28nm?). That integrated I/O is great, I presume there aren't any igp on them so pure server socs?

I would like to know if these are coming to consumer space too Linaro's 96boards miniITX huskyboard look nice, but is it for consumers or industrial?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
4-core tdp 25W, 8-core tdp 32W, quite high for arm processors. What manufacturing process are these made of(tsmc 28nm?). That integrated I/O is great, I presume there aren't any igp on them so pure server socs?

I would like to know if these are coming to consumer space too Linaro's 96boards miniITX huskyboard look nice, but is it for consumers or industrial?

That's all that extra logic for I/O and cache.

AMD Opteron 1150 has 8xA57 cores, 4MB L2 and 8MB L3.

Samsung Exynos 7420 has 4xA57 cores with 2MB L2, 4xA53 cores with 256KB L2 and no L3 cache.

Plus you get all the yummy stuff, like SATA-III controllers, eight PCI-E 3.0 lanes, pair of 10GbE ports etc. etc. etc.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.

Samsung Exynos 7420 has 4xA57 cores with 2MB L2, 4xA53 cores with 256KB L2 and no L3 cache.
Apples and Oranges.
You would be better off comparing Seattle with a comparable environment. AMD has it's work cut out for it. Over a year late, missing promised features, average performance envelope, and having to compete with entrenched competitors like Cavium's Thunder-X and Applied Micro's X-Gene at the higher....and lower end of the markets.
Plus you get all the yummy stuff, like SATA-III controllers, eight PCI-E 3.0 lanes, pair of 10GbE ports etc. etc. etc.
All that (and more) has been available for some time in what amounts to a relatively budget server system.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Apples and Oranges.
You would be better off comparing Seattle with a comparable environment. AMD has it's work cut out for it. Over a year late, missing promised features, average performance envelope, and having to compete with entrenched competitors like Cavium's Thunder-X and Applied Micro's X-Gene at the higher....and lower end of the markets.
My comment goes in response to 25W TDP comment. I picked Exynos one of less power-hungry ARM CPUs for comparison and to give a little explanation as to where that power goes.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit

"
The quad-core A1120 is a 25W chip at 1.7GHz, the A1150 is a 32W core at 2GHz, and the A1170 is a 32W chip at 2GHz. The last two flavors are both eight-core processors, but all three SKUs share the same memory capabilities and L3 cache. If AMD follows its past history on evaluating TDP, the 25-32W figures will represent a worst-case scenario for the chip, rather than its performance in a general workload. AMD historically rates TDP in the first fashion, while Intel uses the second — and that’s why you can’t usually directly compare TDPs between the two companies.
"
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...d-processor-the-opteron-a1100-is-finally-here

lets hope this brings them some revenue..

So this is just another ARM CPU , And? Did they really spent part of their small budget to enter ARM market like it's not allready over flowing with names like Qualcomm, Mediatek,Free Scale, Cavium, and Applied Micro.
Why data centers? When a big company want a data center they will go to Oracle or IBM and thanks to open power foundation you can get cheaper systems from IBM partners, for the middle there is Intel with partners like HP, Dell and Lenovo and last but not least the small data centers where Intel still fight to control versus many many ARM supplier.

Wrong move AMD you had to put the money used to develop these CPUs in better place.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
My comment goes in response to 25W TDP comment. I picked Exynos one of less power-hungry ARM CPUs for comparison and to give a little explanation as to where that power goes.
You might be better served comparing it to a competitor (most other SoC's in the server class have much higher core counts). 25W and the feature set puts it in direct competition (at least for the higher end of the microserver market) with Intel's old 8 core Avoton Atom (20W). Features/Power/Performance would put them close depending upon the users prioritization, but the Avoton would almost certainly win out in perf/watt for most workloads.

Last edited:
System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
So this is just another ARM CPU , And? Did they really spent part of their small budget to enter ARM market like it's not allready over flowing with names like Qualcomm, Mediatek,Free Scale, Cavium, and Applied Micro.
Why data centers? When a big company want a data center they will go to Oracle or IBM and thanks to open power foundation you can get cheaper systems from IBM partners, for the middle there is Intel with partners like HP, Dell and Lenovo and last but not least the small data centers where Intel still fight to control versus many many ARM supplier.

Wrong move AMD you had to put the money used to develop these CPUs in better place.
i guess you don't understand that Opteron is aimed for server and general computing? (well maybe you understand it ... )

Qualcomm (principally smartphone and now, drones, and server but they are even newer than AMD in that sector, thus not carrying the same weight), Mediatek (mostly smartphones), Freescale(cortex A9 at the maximum) don't do server side, on the other hand you are right for Cavium and Applied Micro, so that make only 2(3) of the 5 "concurrent* mentioned, that's not what i call overflowing, not mentioning that AMD is already in that sector with the X86-64 Opteron.
AMD entering that sector might bring competition in it and also alternatives, depending the pricing, to the other brand already available

ofc any arm SOC can be used as a server cpu depending the demand (lots of home media server based on the Raspberry Pi 2 also ... )

who knows, that idea might not be so wrong and bring AMD some success they look after, at last i will pray for that, i wish them all the best.
(and i have a Mediatek SOC in my smartphone ... a intel CPU in my main and secondary rig and a Broadcom SOC in my Rpi2 )

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Without wishing to get embroiled in the discussion re whether smartphone SoC's qualify as possible future server market application (which seems more like a curiosity than any meaningful push into the market from what I've seen)...
Freescale(cortex A9 at the maximum) don't do server side,
It wouldn't take much for them to get involved. They have the infrastructure, and it's probably a case of "when" rather than "if" they expand from their current server architectures
on the other hand you are right for Cavium and Applied Micro, so that make only 2(3) of the 5 "concurrent* mentioned, that's not what i call overflowing
There are also a few other players in the market - some with some serious backing and probably with an inside track to many markets that AMD could only dream about. Broadcom's Vulcan is also a contender once the dust from the Avago takeover settles. That's a lot of competitors in what amounts to a comparatively niche market.
not mentioning that AMD is already in that sector with the X86-64 Opteron.
Barely. At last count AMD had around 1.5% of the x86 server market, and those sales are entirely legacy support. A LOT of OEM's got burned by BD/PD, including some rather public (for server/HPC) dissatisfaction from some vendors (Cray being prominent)thanks to cancelled plans regarding OEM contracts with SeaMicro and the cancellation of Seattle's use of Freedom Fabric. I'm guessing AMD will need to reestablish some trust before any large scale contracts are signed.
AMD entering that sector might bring competition in it and also alternatives, depending the pricing, to the other brand already available
Any new name in a sector has to be good for competition, but after just reading Ars Technica's take on Seattle (which pretty much mirrors my previous post in the thread), it does look lukewarm - AMD wanting customers to compare Seattle with a 2+ year old Intel platform doesn't send a strong message - at least not a positive one:
AMD has been vague about both pricing and performance. The company says that the top-end part will cost around $150, with the others coming in below. This is quite a bit cheaper than Intel's Xeon D processors, which pack Broadwell-class processor cores with a bunch of I/O connectivity. These parts start at $199 and go up as high as $675. However, AMD concedes that the Xeon Ds are considerably faster. The company says that Intel's 2013-era Atom-based C2000 series systems-on-chips are a better comparison for these new models.

System Name Home Server
Processor i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling CoolerMaster Geminii
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) HIS HD 7870 GHz edition @ 1200 MHz core, 1200 MHz memory
Storage Samsung 830 128 GB SSD, Crucial M4 256 GB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Samsung F3 2TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1080p monitor
Case Antec
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 8 x64, OS X 10.9, Lubuntu 13.10
I'd like to know what chipset the 10Gb connections are based off of. My guess is Intel.

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
Do I see an extreme cruncher folder cpu??

Reactions: xvi
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Without wishing to get embroiled in the discussion re whether smartphone SoC's qualify as possible future server market application (which seems more like a curiosity than any meaningful push into the market from what I've seen)...

It wouldn't take much for them to get involved. They have the infrastructure, and it's probably a case of "when" rather than "if" they expand from their current server architectures
well based one all that, it's pretty much what i said ... any ARM SOC can be used for server, for a fraction of a "pro" chip

Barely. At last count AMD had around 1.5% of the x86 server market, and those sales are entirely legacy support. A LOT of OEM's got burned by BD/PD, including some rather public (for server/HPC) dissatisfaction from some vendors (Cray being prominent)thanks to cancelled plans regarding OEM contracts with SeaMicro and the cancellation of Seattle's use of Freedom Fabric. I'm guessing AMD will need to reestablish some trust before any large scale contracts are signed.
well they still would hold more weight than Qualcomm or Mediatek even given that situation, hum i must have mixed server and supercomputer market then ... wait ... even there only the Titan use the Opteron 6274, well he's second behind Tianhe-2 (altho most of the computing power come from the Tesla K20X )
semi out of topic fun fact Titan (Cray XK7 AMD/Nvidia) achieve more than the half TFlops of the Tianhe-2 (Intel/intel) using 5 time less core and consuming a bit less half of the KW it needs, so ... AMD does better in supercomputer than the rest? well all other SC under Titan either use more core (power BQC/alpha) or more power (Xeon) and produce less so ... a Xeon-269X 12C/16C is less efficient than a Opteron 6274 16C if at a same core count they produce less and at equal count they produce half (only Titan an Tianhe-2 use GPGPU iirc ... Tesla K20X for one and Xeon Phi 31S1P) at same core count the Titan would have 5 time more Tflops than the Intel/Intel Tianhe-2? not so sure tho it would be 1st rank undoubtedly

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
semi out of topic fun fact Titan (Cray XK7 AMD/Nvidia) achieve more than the half TFlops of the Tianhe-2 (Intel/intel) using 5 time less core and consuming a bit less half of the KW it needs, so ... AMD does better in supercomputer than the rest? well all other SC under Titan either use more core (power BQC/alpha) or more power (Xeon) and produce less so ... a Xeon-269X 12C/16C is less efficient than a Opteron 6274 16C if at a same core count they produce less and at equal count they produce half (only Titan an Tianhe-2 use GPGPU iirc ... Tesla K20X for one and Xeon Phi 31S1P) at same core count the Titan would have 5 time more Tflops than the Intel/Intel Tianhe-2? not so sure tho it would be 1st rank undoubtedly[/spoiler]
That's a product of the benchmark workload. Linpack favours GPU-heavy systems - although Tianhe-2's Xeon Phi's actual performance isn't great*. The higher the GPU (and GPU core) -to- CPU (and CPU core) ratio the more efficiency is gained**. Look for a high GPU per node count for efficiency. The Green500 TFOPS/watt metric is a good comparison (note that the top system uses PEZY-SC a dedicated multi-core co-processor unencumbered by a traditional graphics pipeline).

* Xeon Phi's efficiency drops markedly as the job size increases. By all accounts Tianhe-2's Xeon Phi's remain idle most of the time. No big deal since the whole system was basically gifted to China by Intel (including the custom Xeon SKU being used). Does make for good marketing though.

** A CPUs floating point ops (even if using AVX /FMA to boost ops per cycle) is pitiful compared to a GPGPU co-processor. AMD's own numbers are in the Opteron presentation notes (Take the comparison with Intel's Xeon with a pinch of salt obviously due to the constricted nature of the instruction sets they are using - this and the previous link are more indicative of the current state of play)

Last edited:
VR HMD Medion Erazer
That's a product of the benchmark workload. Linpack favours GPU-heavy systems - although Tianhe-2's Xeon Phi's actual performance isn't great*. The higher the GPU (and GPU core) -to- CPU (and CPU core) ratio the more efficiency is gained**. Look for a high GPU per node count for efficiency. The Green500 TFOPS/watt metric is a good comparison (note that the top system uses PEZY-SC a dedicated multi-core co-processor unencumbered by a traditional graphics pipeline).

* Xeon Phi's efficiency drops markedly as the job size increases. By all accounts Tianhe-2's Xeon Phi's remain idle most of the time. No big deal since the whole system was basically gifted to China by Intel (including the custom Xeon SKU being used). Does make for good marketing though.

** A CPUs floating point ops (even if using AVX /FMA to boost ops per cycle) is pitiful compared to a GPGPU co-processor. AMD's own numbers are in the Opteron presentation notes (Take the comparison with Intel's Xeon with a pinch of salt obviously due to the constricted nature of the instruction sets they are using - this and the previous link are more indicative of the current state of play)
well let's say that the couple Opteron/Tesla is better than Xeon/Xeon Phi, i suppose cost to cost and perf to perf ;) AMD still has it high thanks to ... "irony" Nvidia :laugh:

thanks for the info @HumanSmoke

also that's why i did put in parenthesis "tho all the computing power come from the K20X"

AMD does someting and you bash it.
Why do you do that?!

Are you happy to pay 250€ for an entry level 4 core CPU?!
Or do you rater pay 500€ for it??

I don't understand it...

AMD has found a nice and tries to make some good CPUs for that niche to get some money - and it's not right.
What the?!

Why do you always see the negative stuff when it comes to AMD and always highlight the good things with their competitors?! I really don't get it...
Must be some kind of sect or so...

Anyway:
It's an 8 core ARM with 2 Channel DDR3/DDR4 Memory controller, a massive amount of Cache (12MiB L2 and L3) and a massive amount of I/O things!
Not the low power things but high performance I/O stuff like PCIe 3.0 (x8) or a whopping 14 S-ATA 6G ports.
And not only that but also 2 10GBit Ethernet ports...

That this monster consumes a little bit more than a mobile performance chip with next to no I/O or rather just low power/low performance I/O Stuff wich are designed for use with no memory slots but rather memory onboard. That also saves power!!

This beast is less for computing and more for storage/database things. So do the other ARM Socs also have 14 S-ATA 6G Ports? And an x8 PCie 3.0 connector?
I think you underestimate the power modern high performance I/O stuff consumes!
That's where most of the power consumption comes from, not from the CPU cores...

The other ARM processors mentioned here are more for Supercomputer/Computing stuff that needs high memory bandwith and computing power. Doesn't seem that this AMD CPU has designed the A1100 series as a competitor for those...

But well, we are talking about AMD...
And when some people read the name AMD, they have to bash it...

Last edited:

Yes, I know it has those extra I/O to consume more power than mobile socs. But exynos is _14nm_ mobile soc and as I know this is _28nm_ server soc(correct me if I'm wrong). So how much lower power this could be if this had been manufactured with 20nm, 16nm ff+ or even 14nm processes?

You can't shrink that analogue stuff much if at all, so it doesn't matter if we talk about 28nm or 10nm, it would have the same size due to the needed current for driving the Signal.