• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

JEDEC Announces Publication of GDDR5X Graphics Memory Standard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, the global leader in the development of standards for the microelectronics industry, today announced the publication of JESD232 Graphics Double Data Rate (GDDR5X) SGRAM. Available for free download from the JEDEC website, the new memory standard is designed to satisfy the increasing need for more memory bandwidth in graphics, gaming, compute, and networking applications.

Derived from the widely adopted GDDR5 SGRAM JEDEC standard, GDDR5X specifies key elements related to the design and operability of memory chips for applications requiring very high memory bandwidth. With the intent to address the needs of high-performance applications demanding ever higher data rates, GDDR5X is targeting data rates of 10 to 14 Gb/s, a 2X increase over GDDR5. In order to allow a smooth transition from GDDR5, GDDR5X utilizes the same, proven pseudo open drain (POD) signaling as GDDR5.

"GDDR5X represents a significant leap forward for high end GPU design," said Mian Quddus, JEDEC Board of Directors Chairman. "Its performance improvements over the prior standard will help enable the next generation of graphics and other high-performance applications."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I wonder if it will be more price friendly than HBM. If yes, this could prove useful to bump up mid graphics segment without major price increase. Meaning 4K may become more accessible to wider audience.

I wonder if it will be more price friendly than HBM. If yes, this could prove useful to bump up mid graphics segment without major price increase. Meaning 4K may become more accessible to wider audience.

Most probably yes. It should not be very far from the price of gddr5 and slapping them to graphics cards are not any different between them either. So no extra manufacturing process is needed... But then again has anyone has any clue how much hbm:s actually costs?

D

Deleted member 67555

Hmmm..
I'd like to see a Fury made with this as well as a 980ti.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
I believe this is the point and to leave HBM to the high end segment.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Difference between CUDA and GCN architecture in cache prefetch size, could mean that nvidia will have to use pseudo-independent memory accesses to avoid overfetch penalty in exchange for some bandwidth ... interesting article: http://monitorinsider.com/GDDR5X.html

D

Deleted member 67555

So AMD could seriously cheapen a Fury for refresh with minor PCB changes...going from BGA 170 to 190..
Interesting...IMO this should equate to a $300 Fury soon.