• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Throwing the Gauntlet at Intel for releasing biased & unreliable benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
problem of AMD these days is they exaggerate a lot on botched benches when it's barely telling half of the actual story, instead relying on cherry-picked benches & claims it as a legitimate results. But when samples reached to the hands of honest reviewers, it tells a completely different story. That's no different than a liar who sugar-coat his/her words to run away from the truth.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Yep, AMD is pretty much the king right now in marketing BS.

Heck, the video they made and this entire campaign is a perfect example. They're trying to say their processors are just as good as Intel's by running Excel and Word benchmarks... Talk about cherry picking benchmarks.
But when Intel releases their biased Sysmark benchmarks with every CPU ad, it's ok? Bullshit. Intel does exactly the same shit. All AMD is doing here is proving that Intel is cherry picking their own shit (Intel knows their CPUs are IPC king and they use software that strictly uses the strengths of their CPUs to make them shine) and countering with their own cherry picking, just that AMDs cherry picked answer is a lot more realistic. Where in this world is this CPU shown in the video 50% faster than the AMD one? It's never in the real world 50% faster. End of story. And so Sysmark is bullshit, because it proves nothing. Yes, PCMark 8 Work can be done by any CPU, but at least it's realistic workload and not totally theoretical BS like Sysmark. On top of that, somebody here mentioned this software is optimized on Intel CPUs, wow, so it can't even utilize what the weaker AMD CPUs have. What a mess. This is like, you are the bigger and stronger one, and you still play it dirty. Well it's normal, its called capitalism, but still it's not really good. AMDs reaction to that is absolutely OK if you ask me. But what would have been even better, if they just said "Sysmark is not a realistic workload/benchmark, AMD CPUs are about as fast or faster in realistic workloads", simply and without making a "Po-face". They need to play the game smart and cool - they don't do that. But it's no news AMD marketing isn't up to the task I guess.

A lot of people here react very positive to what (shit) Intel does and very negative to what AMD does. Thats obvious. No wonder many people say AMD is always being hated while everything Intel does is automatically good. I think the big problem AMD has is a image/PR problem. They need a solution for that - better marketing.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
The problem here is AMD and Intel CPUs should not be compared directly in terms of "performance". This is especially pertinent since AMD announced several years ago it will stop competing head-to-head with Intel.
Yet you see all AMD APU benchmarks PR slides that AMD puts out compares their cpu to an intel one USING gpu accelerated benchmarks? Kinda funny isn't it how AMD loves to use that but most app's like email, web browsing for most part are cpu dependent and have usually very little gpu acceleration in them.

What we're seeing instead is that Intel vs. AMD, in a laptop, is relatively close in some synthetic benchmarks and different in other synthetics. The test that supposedly is more relevant to CPUs demonstrates a bigger difference than those tests which test multiple aspects of the system.
Reason AMD likes PCmark is their gpu on their APU's are much better then Intel's. That will make scores in PCmark much closer then SYSmark. As stated above not all programs people run can use the gpu to speed things up.
I thought on certain benches, especially on heavy video editing that AMD triumph over Intel & benchers were right but AMD doesn't listen to them? Sure, their chips really do show some processing muscle when it comes to multi-core/threaded tasks where Intel lags behind.
That is due to GPU being used to speed up processing of the data.
Yep, AMD is pretty much the king right now in marketing BS.
Heck, the video they made and this entire campaign is a perfect example. They're trying to say their processors are just as good as Intel's by running Excel and Word benchmarks... Talk about cherry picking benchmarks.
That is my biggest beef with AMD is the marketing bs they put out. Most benchmarks i seen that says their processors match intel, are benchmarks that are GPU accelerated ones like BasemarkCL.
problem of AMD these days is they exaggerate a lot on botched benches when it's barely telling half of the actual story, instead relying on cherry-picked benches & claims it as a legitimate results
Like said above they cherry pick benchmarks that take advantage of the gpu and say that is fair to do that. while if intel did same thing they would cry foul.
But when Intel releases their biased Sysmark benchmarks with every CPU ad, it's ok? Bullshit. Intel does exactly the same shit. All AMD is doing here is proving that Intel is cherry picking their own shit (Intel knows their CPUs are IPC king and they use software that strictly uses the strengths of their CPUs to make them shine) and countering with their own cherry picking, just that AMDs cherry picked answer is a lot more realistic
Um most benchmarks see for intel cpu's are from reviews not intel themselves. Wonder why that is? Maybe intel knows they got a good cpu and independent reviews prove it?

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Um most benchmarks see for intel cpu's are from reviews not intel themselves. Wonder why that is? Maybe intel knows they got a good cpu and independent reviews prove it?
That's not the topic here. It's about the PR slides Intel uses with Sysmark ad's in it. Also PCMark 8 is a mixed workload of CPU/GPU, yes, but it's not to the point where the GPU of the FX can outshine the i5. It's pretty realistic, a lot more than Sysmark at least. Also, to send some emails, write something in Word or simply browse the internet, you don't need an i5 processor, basically that's what PCMark and custom AMD benchmark proves too. Basically that i5 processor would be better for workstation + gaming, but both things are unlikely done with such small laptop CPUs anyway. These laptops showcased in the video of AMD will most likely be used for casual things as internet browsing + watching videos and for that the FX is good enough too. I think exactly that is the point of AMD in this video.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
Intel has for years been stacking the deck against all competitors period, not just AMD and since the compiler used for well..... Just about everything out there was either made or at least influenced by Intel, the stacking of the deck is there. Any test(s) period will never run as well as it does on an Intel because of it hence the stacking of the deck.

Is this still the case today? I'd imagine it would be in AMD's interest to create a compiler of their own but trying to get software companies to create two sets of executables would also be a nightmare.

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
There are a lot of factors here why a X CPU is faster than Y CPU.
AMD's old architecture tends to compete with the newest Intel CPUs in the market. But they are desperate for a change, and we all know that, so lets give AMD some room and look forward to Zen.

On the other hand, Intel wasnt all perfect.
Remember the time when the Athlons beat the shit out of the Pentiums?? I do.
Intels are a little bit overrated on the market.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
AMD is probably all pissy because no one does benchmarks like these:

AMD APUs are a no-brainer in an entry-level entertainment laptop market, but when an underperforming FX8800P laptop (locked at 15W) costs as much as an i5-6200 laptop with dedicated GT940 - that's when things go bad.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
But when Intel releases their biased Sysmark benchmarks with every CPU ad, it's ok?

Again, no one has proved that it is biased. Sysmark measures actual CPU power using high CPU intensive loads. AMD tried to claim it was bias by using PCMark8 Work Accelerated, which is an OpenCL benchmark that doesn't put a high load on the CPU. AMD's claim is way more biased and BS than Intel using Sysmark.

Also PCMark 8 is a mixed workload of CPU/GPU, yes, but it's not to the point where the GPU of the FX can outshine the i5.

Not PCMark 8 Work Accelerated. Go watch the video again, that is what they used. There is a pretty big reason they picked that specific benchmark. It is basically nothing more than a Microsoft Office benchmark(well LibreOffice). They didn't use the entire PCMark8 test suit, they specifically picked the least CPU intense benchmark possible. No one gives a shit about PCMark8 Work because any processor on the market today can handle Excel and Word, you won't see much difference between the shittiest celeron and an 8-Core i7.

AMD's been relying on their better onboard GPU for years. And that is a fine argument if you want to talk about GPU power. But we aren't here, we are talking about CPU power. If they wanted to show how much better the GPU is, show some game benchmarks, show some GPU compute benchmarks. Whatever. Don't run PCMark8 Work to try to mask the fact that while the GPU might be really good, the CPU portion is still way behind Intel. Because the fact is most people don't care how powerful the onboard GPU is as long as it can play back their HD video(and now 4k), which Intel's solution can easily handle. So making the GPU more powerful doesn't really appeal to the mass market.

It's pretty realistic

No it isn't, for the reasons I've mentioned. All this is is AMD shouting "we're just as good as Intel at Excel!!!"

a lot more than Sysmark at least.

I would probably agree with that if they ran the entire PCMark8 suit. But they didn't, becuase they knew the i5 would kick their asses in the other more CPU intensive parts.

Also, to send some emails, write something in Word or simply browse the internet, you don't need an i5 processor, basically that's what PCMark and custom AMD benchmark proves too.

Yep, but you also don't need an 8800P. My Celeron does all of those tasks just fine. So I guess AMD's, and your, argument is the FX-8800P is no better than a CELERON. I mean, if that is the logic you want to go by, sure, we can say that...

Basically that i5 processor would be better for workstation + gaming, but both things are unlikely done with such small laptop CPUs anyway. These laptops showcased in the video of AMD will most likely be used for casual things as internet browsing + watching videos and for that the FX is good enough too.

I think that is very inaccurate. We are moving into a more mobile and digital world by the day. People are getting rid of their desktop computers completely and moving to lightweight laptops. At the same time they are doing things like ripping music and re-encoding video for their other mobile devices more and more. Heck, my 60 year old uncle, a man I never thought I'd even see using a computer, no regularly encodes video to burn to DVDs. At every family gathering he is handing out DVDs of his grandkids that he made from movies off his phone. To do that I bought him an i5 laptop. If he was just looking for office tasks he'd still be using his old Pentium 987 laptop, there would really be no reason to upgrade.

I think exactly that is the point of AMD in this video.

Sure, I think that is what AMD is trying to make us believe. But it is wrong to look at it that way. Like I've pointed out, the things AMD is saying the FX-8800P is just as good as Intel's i5-5200u at are things that any processor is just as good at. That is a biased way to look at CPU power. If they would have done the entire PCMark8 suit, ok, maybe they have a point. But just picking one benchmark, that is the least CPU intensive one, to try to say Intel's claims that their CPUs are are more powerful is more biased and much bigger marketing BS than anything Intel has said.

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
they have such friendly hate for each other. Still waiting on the AMD/Intel hybrid APU haha

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
At this point in the game, CPU speed matters very little to the average user. Throughput from the storage device and GPU performance are much bigger factors in determining whether a computer feels slow (to the average user/gamer).
If I were AMD, I'd be focusing my marketing on the price-point and the R&D and getting power usage down.

Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
AMD is hampered greatly on power consumption & thermal performance, especially on their higher end FX & R9 Series products. Sure their APU kicks the shit out of Intel's Iris Graphics, but lost the fight hands down against Intel in terms of efficiency per core, thermal performance & power consumption. if Zen is really what they are claiming to sport a lowered power consumption & less heat generation, that alone can let them (AMD) have a fighting chance.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:( All these accusations of Intel lying or AMD lying are now just getting silly.

When you shop for a PSU, do you go only by the information in the maker's ads and brochures? Or do you go by the results on the professional review sites?

If you say you go by the maker's ads and brochures, then cough up the hook, line and sinkers - and your wallets because I have some prime swamp land in Florida that will be perfect for you. Same with cases, monitors, cars, TVs, home theater receivers, etc.

If you say you do your homework and go by what the professional review sites (that's sites, not site) say, then you are a wise consumer.

And all the talk in this thread is about ALL Intels and ALL AMDs - as if every single product one maker produces is superior to every single product of the other maker. :rolleyes: Yeah right.

All this silly criticism over AMD using this benchmarking program to make their processors shine, or Intel using that benchmarking to make their processors look better is really just wasting everyone's time.

That's not the topic here. It's about the PR slides Intel uses with Sysmark ad's in it.
No it's not! It's about an accusation that Intel conspired with SySmark to show significantly better performance with Intel over AMD CPUs.

And BTW, this row over SySmark is nothing new. Both AMD and Nvidia quit SySmark benchmark group years ago because of unrealistic testing and results that do not reflect real-world scenarios.

If I were AMD, I'd be focusing my marketing on the price-point and the R&D and getting power usage down.
That's exactly what they are trying to do. Their new Zen processor is based on 14nm, "stacked" technologies that promise more power in less space with much greater efficiency. And greater efficiency means less heat.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Throughput from the storage device and GPU performance are much bigger factors in determining whether a computer feels slow (to the average user/gamer).

I would argue that GPU power makes little difference to the average user. Sure, maybe to a gamer, but not the average user. As far as the average user is concerned, as long as the GPU is powerful enough to playback HD/4K video, they are happy. Of course we are talking about laptops here, that will likely never have 4K displays, but that won't stop the common user from playing 4K video and thinking it looks "like totally way better man" than 1080p content on their 1080p screen...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
would argue that GPU power makes little difference to the average user. Sure, maybe to a gamer, but not the average user. As far as the average user is concerned, as long as the GPU is powerful enough to playback HD/4K video, they are happy. Of course we are talking about laptops here
I say even with a PC, the "average" user does not need a great deal of GPU horsepower. In fact, with a nice CPU and a decent chunk of RAM, integrated graphics on today's boards is more than sufficient for most users to watch videos in HD, play most games, and of course do general Internet surfing and office work.

The fact is, giant corporations, governments, small businesses, and schools buy fairly basic systems with integrated graphics by the 1000s and they work just fine.

And, most users would not even know they had less capable graphics unless there was an identical computer but with a powerful graphics card installed sitting right next to their computer with integrated graphics. Then they might see the difference. I say might, because there are so many other variables to performance - including network speed.

I think it important to remember that game developers know most of their game users are on limited budgets and can't afford a $300 (or higher) graphics card (or two!). So they code their games to provide good "game play" on lessor systems. Yeah, the background may not be as detailed and there may be fewer independent objects floating about, but the "game play" will be the same or close enough.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Again, no one has proved that it is biased. Sysmark measures actual CPU power using high CPU intensive loads. AMD tried to claim it was bias by using PCMark8 Work Accelerated, which is an OpenCL benchmark that doesn't put a high load on the CPU. AMD's claim is way more biased and BS than Intel using Sysmark.
For that they did another custom benchmark, so it's covered anyway. Also the AMD APU is afaik better in gaming, so it doesn't really matter. See silentbogos post with that video.

Not PCMark 8 Work Accelerated. Go watch the video again, that is what they used. There is a pretty big reason they picked that specific benchmark. It is basically nothing more than a Microsoft Office benchmark(well LibreOffice). They didn't use the entire PCMark8 test suit, they specifically picked the least CPU intense benchmark possible. No one gives a shit about PCMark8 Work because any processor on the market today can handle Excel and Word, you won't see much difference between the shittiest celeron and an 8-Core i7.
And "no one" gives a shit about Sysmark too. It's purely artificial and unrealistic, I care more about PC Mark than this probably Intel biased BS. But I agree that PCMark 8 Work is worthless - but well, everyone tries to BS his own thing, so it's basically the same shit Intel does. But again, when Intel does that, nobody is ever attacking Intel for it, but AMD gets hated at every chance possible...

AMD's been relying on their better onboard GPU for years. And that is a fine argument if you want to talk about GPU power. But we aren't here, we are talking about CPU power. If they wanted to show how much better the GPU is, show some game benchmarks, show some GPU compute benchmarks. Whatever. Don't run PCMark8 Work to try to mask the fact that while the GPU might be really good, the CPU portion is still way behind Intel. Because the fact is most people don't care how powerful the onboard GPU is as long as it can play back their HD video(and now 4k), which Intel's solution can easily handle. So making the GPU more powerful doesn't really appeal to the mass market.
I never said I'm only talking about CPU power, we can add GPUs to the discussion. You are right, the video isn't about GPU power it's about every day tasks. CPU maybe far behind, but as you said yourself, it's not important, because these PCs are just for everyday tasks and it probably won't matter anytime in the lifetime of that laptop, so... it's not so important. What AMD did was just proving that their AMD powered laptops are equally good enough for doing random tasks as Intel powered laptops. And on top of that: who needs a strong CPU like that, from Intel, with that weak GPU inside it? These laptops aren't balanced, I rather take a weaker CPU with mediocre GPU, than a strong CPU with a totally weak GPU. Balance is everything. Or GPU is more important.

No it isn't, for the reasons I've mentioned. All this is is AMD shouting "we're just as good as Intel at Excel!!!"
That's all the video is about, you're just making it more complex than it really is. What AMD intended to do was a simple thing, our discussion is way beyond that, to that point that its already become somewhat pointless.

I would probably agree with that if they ran the entire PCMark8 suit. But they didn't, becuase they knew the i5 would kick their asses in the other more CPU intensive parts.
If they would've run every benchmark they would've also included a GPU benchmark or game and then AMD would've at least won that point. As already said, a balanced system is everything, or, GPU is more important than CPU. Take your pick. Reminds me of that thread with the guy with A8-6600 APU who wants to upgrade CPU or GPU and almost everybody told him to update the GPU to GTX 970. Suits somewhat to this topic. GPU > CPU. We aren't in the year 2000 anymore.

Yep, but you also don't need an 8800P. My Celeron does all of those tasks just fine. So I guess AMD's, and your, argument is the FX-8800P is no better than a CELERON. I mean, if that is the logic you want to go by, sure, we can say that...
Isn't the 8800P already a budget processor? If yes, I don't see your point.

I think that is very inaccurate. We are moving into a more mobile and digital world by the day. People are getting rid of their desktop computers completely and moving to lightweight laptops. At the same time they are doing things like ripping music and re-encoding video for their other mobile devices more and more. Heck, my 60 year old uncle, a man I never thought I'd even see using a computer, no regularly encodes video to burn to DVDs. At every family gathering he is handing out DVDs of his grandkids that he made from movies off his phone. To do that I bought him an i5 laptop. If he was just looking for office tasks he'd still be using his old Pentium 987 laptop, there would really be no reason to upgrade.
I don't think its inaccurate, I think its the reality. Most people don't do what your uncle does, do you want a counter example of your example what really just is a exception? My own father who is pretty well with computer since over 30 years, isn't doing anything else than some internet, some movie looking and some lightweight gaming with his 6 year old PC. Your uncle is really just a exception, a good one that is. And btw. that Pentium laptop was maybe very old and heavy etc. there are more advances besides CPU/GPU power. Weight, battery lifetime, display, connections, looks etc. etc.

Sure, I think that is what AMD is trying to make us believe. But it is wrong to look at it that way. Like I've pointed out, the things AMD is saying the FX-8800P is just as good as Intel's i5-5200u at are things that any processor is just as good at. That is a biased way to look at CPU power. If they would have done the entire PCMark8 suit, ok, maybe they have a point. But just picking one benchmark, that is the least CPU intensive one, to try to say Intel's claims that their CPUs are are more powerful is more biased and much bigger marketing BS than anything Intel has said.
Maybe that video IS full of shit, yes. As I already said they should have done something else, that video is way too dramatic, they didn't play it cool. First thing: don't do videos like that. Second: if you must, do it cool. Where is the gaming? Where are GPU heavy tasks? That APU IS comparable to the i5 if you compare everything. But they didn't do it, they just compared CPU power and in a poor fashion, I give you that. This just makes the video somewhat silly, but doesn't change the fact that the FX processor is comparable enough to me, or let's say, good hardware too.
A laptop is something you choose by your usage, what you want to do with it. I'd rather take the AMD one if I wanted to play, if not, I'd take the Intel, or I wouldn't care at all, would decide on other things (price etc).

PS. Remembered AMD saying "we don't compete with Intel anymore". What? That video is just that. They shouldn't have done it. Problem is, they wanted to get out of the way by doing APUs, but Intel got into APUs too, so they are again competing with Intel. They did anyway, I think this whole "we don't compete with Intel anymore" was BS talk. As long as they produce x86 CPUs/APUs they compete with Intel and need to be comparable. If they aren't they lose the fight and cease to exist as a company. I think Zen is the next step in this long "war", Zen starts the battle again (or at least we hope so). After Zen, they can't even say "we aren't competing with Intel". That's the whole point of Zen, to gain market share back from them.

At this point in the game, CPU speed matters very little to the average user. Throughput from the storage device and GPU performance are much bigger factors in determining whether a computer feels slow (to the average user/gamer).
+1

---
@Bill_Bright :
All these accusations of Intel lying or AMD lying are now just getting silly.
Everytime you enter a thread you start patronizing someone or everybody. Wise men aren't smart-asses, sorry. Pls stop the acting.

When you shop for a PSU, do you go only by the information in the maker's ads and brochures? Or do you go by the results on the professional review sites?
Nobody said that. And this topic is not about PSUs. So hard to stay on the topic and what was said here? I think you need the big talks for your patronized acting.

If you say you go by the maker's ads and brochures, then cough up the hook, line and sinkers - and your wallets because I have some prime swamp land in Florida that will be perfect for you. Same with cases, monitors, cars, TVs, home theater receivers, etc.
Your arrogance is somewhat annoying too. Not the first time btw.

If you say you do your homework and go by what the professional review sites (that's sites, not site) say, then you are a wise consumer.
Maybe if you were someone wise your words would matter, but you aren't. I know how wise man are, they aren't patronizing and aren't smart asses - and they aren't arrogant. You are far far away from being wise, so please don't waste your time telling us or me what is wise and what not.

And all the talk in this thread is about ALL Intels and ALL AMDs - as if every single product one maker produces is superior to every single product of the other maker. :rolleyes: Yeah right.
Plain bullshit. Nobody said they talk about "all Intels vs all AMDs".

All this silly criticism over AMD using this benchmarking program to make their processors shine, or Intel using that benchmarking to make their processors look better is really just wasting everyone's time.
Then go away and don't read it. And don't post here. That "wastes your time" or doesn't it? Strange... I think you are more or less just here (at least this thread) for the patronizing part, but not really to help. Kinda egoistic.

No it's not! It's about an accusation that Intel conspired with SySmark to show significantly better performance with Intel over AMD CPUs.
Wrong, it's about both and a lot of other things too. Somewhat shortsighted of you.

And BTW, this row over SySmark is nothing new. Both AMD and Nvidia quit SySmark benchmark group years ago because of unrealistic testing and results that do not reflect real-world scenarios.
Again some smartassing. And it doesn't help a bit. Intel still uses it in ads for their products. You don't seem to get the point of this thread.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
For that they did another custom benchmark, so it's covered anyway.

Again, watch the video. Their custom benchmark was Excel scripts, they clearly said that.

Also the AMD APU is afaik better in gaming, so it doesn't really matter. See silentbogos post with that video.

1. We aren't talking about gaming performance.
2. We are talking about CPU power.

well, everyone tries to BS his own thing, so it's basically the same shit Intel does. But again, when Intel does that, nobody is ever attacking Intel for it, but AMD gets hated at every chance possible...

Wait, you can't be serious. Do you realize what thread you're in? This entire thread started because AMD and AMD's fans are attacking Intel for doing it. Not the other way around. Get it straight. :)

I never said I'm only talking about CPU power

This discussion is about CPU power. It has nothing to do with GPUs.

we can add GPUs to the discussion

No you can't.

What AMD did was just proving that their AMD powered laptops are equally good enough for doing random tasks as Intel powered laptops.

If that is your measure of equality, than Intel's Celeron line is just as good as AMD's flagship. See how that logic doesn't work?

Isn't the 8800P already a budget processor? If yes, I don't see your point.

No, it competes directly with the i5 line, not the budget line. The FX-8800P replaces the A10 laptop APUs. It's their high end flagship laptop processor. The entry point for an FX-8800P laptop is ~$600. That isn't a budget laptop.

I don't think its inaccurate, I think its the reality. Most people don't do what your uncle does, do you want a counter example of your example what really just is a exception? My own father who is pretty well with computer since over 30 years, isn't doing anything else than some internet, some movie looking and some lightweight gaming with his 6 year old PC. Your uncle is really just a exception, a good one that is. And btw. that Pentium laptop was maybe very old and heavy etc. there are more advances besides CPU/GPU power. Weight, battery lifetime, display, connections, looks etc. etc.

There is a trend towards doing more media and computational work with computers, even the basic ones. People rip music to iTunes all the time, that is a CPU intensive task that is definitely quicker on the Intel computer. Sure there are still a lot of people that the hardest thing the laptop will do is facebook, but those people are perfectly fine with lower end laptops. They don't need, and likely aren't buying, laptops with the FX-8800P or an i5. They are buying Pentiums, i3s, and A6s/A4s in the $300 range.

Maybe that video IS full of shit, yes. As I already said they should have done something else, that video is way too dramatic, they didn't play it cool. First thing: don't do videos like that. Second: if you must, do it cool. Where is the gaming? Where are GPU heavy tasks? That APU IS comparable to the i5 if you compare everything. But they didn't do it, they just compared CPU power and in a poor fashion, I give you that. This just makes the video somewhat silly, but doesn't change the fact that the FX processor is comparable enough to me, or let's say, good hardware too.

That is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not saying the FX-8800P is a necessarily bad processor. It just isn't as powerful as the i5 at CPU intensive tasks, but it has its positive points too. The GPU being one of them.

But then again if I was gaming, for the cost of an FX-8800P laptop, I'd just spend the $100 more and get an i5-5200u with a dedicated GTX950M...

But if your budget was $600, the FX-8800P is the best option if you play games.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Again, watch the video. Their custom benchmark was Excel scripts, they clearly said that.
Man, I already got your point, it's okay. ;)

1. We aren't talking about gaming performance.
2. We are talking about CPU power.
You think you can dictate me or everyone in this thread what we talk about or what are you trying here? I'AM talking about GPUs too. End of story.

Wait, you can't be serious. Do you realize what thread you're in? This entire thread started because AMD and AMD's fans are attacking Intel for doing it. Not the other way around. Get it straight. :)
Yes I'am serious, and I saw that Intel fanboys attacked back and are always hating on AMD for every small mistake they make. I don't think you get what this topic is really about.

This discussion is about CPU power. It has nothing to do with GPUs.
Just your opinion, nothing more.

No you can't.
I can, I already did and we already talked about it (plus some others too). :p

If that is your measure of equality, than Intel's Celeron line is just as good as AMD's flagship. See how that logic doesn't work?
I don't think you got my logic straight.

No, it competes directly with the i5 line, not the budget line. The FX-8800P replaces the A10 laptop APUs. It's their high end flagship laptop processor. The entry point for an FX-8800P laptop is ~$600. That isn't a budget laptop.
Well maybe it tries to compete with it, but it's somewhat else. Its a mixture of CPU and GPU power, the Intel is more about good CPU power and some GPU on top of it.

There is a trend towards doing more media and computational work with computers, even the basic ones. People rip music to iTunes all the time, that is a CPU intensive task that is definitely quicker on the Intel computer. Sure there are still a lot of people that the hardest thing the laptop will do is facebook, but those people are perfectly fine with lower end laptops. They don't need, and likely aren't buying, laptops with the FX-8800P or an i5. They are buying Pentiums, i3s, and A6s/A4s in the $300 range.
Maybe they do, maybe they aren't. People buy wrong things all the time, or buy higher performance items to use it longer. Rip music to iTunes all the times? What? I only know people that download music and that's it. I don't think you are talking about the average user here or have a different understanding of them.

That is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not saying the FX-8800P is a necessarily bad processor. It just isn't as powerful as the i5 at CPU intensive tasks, but it has its positive points too. The GPU being one of them.

But then again if I was gaming, for the cost of an FX-8800P laptop, I'd just spend the $100 more and get an i5-5200u with a dedicated GTX950M...

But if your budget was $600, the FX-8800P is the best option if you play games.
True. But let's agree on the point that AMD really has to do something, Zen really needs to be what it is promised or else... this doesn't get any better. The whining videos of them aren't really helping too.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You think you can dictate me or everyone in this thread what we talk about or what are you trying here? I'AM talking about GPUs too. End of story.

When the thread is about CPU power, we talk about CPU power. If you want to talk about GPU power, that would be off topic, go create another topic on it and talk about it there.

Yes I'am serious, and I saw that Intel fanboys attacked back and are always hating on AMD for every small mistake they make. I don't think you get what this topic is really about.

I entirely get what this topic is about. AMD wants to let everyone know their processors are just as good as Intel's at Excel. And any benchmark that tests real CPU performance is just biased towards Intel.

Just your opinion, nothing more.

No, it is literally what this thread is about.

I don't think you got my logic straight.

I'm pretty sure I do. If we are just judging processors on how they handle Excel, they'd all turn out pretty much the same. That is why you don't see CPU reviews running just Excel benchmarks and judging everything on that.

Well maybe it tries to compete with it, but it's somewhat else. Its a mixture of CPU and GPU power, the Intel is more about good CPU power and some GPU on top of it.

Either way, it is definitely not a budget CPU.

Maybe they do, maybe they aren't. People buy wrong things all the time, or buy higher performance items to use it longer. Rip music to iTunes all the times? What? I only know people that download music and that's it. I don't think you are talking about the average user here or have a different understanding of them.

It is just one example. People use these computers for video editing, graphic design, video rendering. Hell, everyone and their mom has a youtube account where they upload shittily edited videos because they just love the Movie Maker, and they are going to be a star!

Sure there are people that buy over powered laptops, but they are also the ones that don't look at reviews and sysmark scores. But the people that are looking at these benchmark scores use the laptops for more than just Facebook.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
I entirely get what this topic is about. AMD wants to let everyone know their processors are just as good as Intel's at Excel. And any benchmark that tests real CPU performance is just biased towards Intel.
Not any, just Sysmark.

I'm pretty sure I do. If we are just judging processors on how they handle Excel, they'd all turn out pretty much the same. That is why you don't see CPU reviews running just Excel benchmarks and judging everything on that.
My point was about more than just that, but let's just settle this may we?

It is just one example. People use these computers for video editing, graphic design, video rendering. Hell, everyone and their mom has a youtube account where they upload shittily edited videos because they just love the Movie Maker, and they are going to be a star!
Maybe you are right, maybe that Intel CPU is the "smarter choice" (no pun intended) after all. ;)

Sure there are people that buy over powered laptops, but they are also the ones that don't look at reviews and sysmark scores. But the people that are looking at these benchmark scores use the laptops for more than just Facebook.
I said, they buy it for future proofing, not without any sense. Yes this isn't about average people that don't read reviews or look at scores. But there are people who buy stronger/better laptops/pcs or any hardware (even cars) to use them longer.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
Instead of bitching everytime something didn't go theit way amd should just take a leaf out of Intels book and lie.

we all know amd can't afford to cover those legal fees like intel :rofl:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Not any, just Sysmark.

Except they failed to even begin to prove it. Did you know PCMark8 actually has a Home test too? One that is supposed to more accurately measure how the performance of the computer in average home use tasks? Odd they didn't even pick that one. They went with the Excel benchmark to somehow prove Sysmark is biased. If they are going to claim a benchmark that is designed to test intense CPU performance is biased, they need to use other benchmarks that test intense CPU performance. Not ones that barely rely on the CPU.

Maybe you are right, maybe that Intel CPU is the "smarter choice" (no pun intended) after all. ;)

Honestly, Intel is the smarter choice. Laptops with the i5 they tested start at the $400 mark. Laptops with the FX-8800P start at the $600 mark. And even in AMD's own tests the i5 still performed better than the FX-8800P, so going with the $200 cheaper option that is more powerful is the smart choice.:D

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
everyone is saying even without bias intel beats AMD. but thats not the point. The point is intel is sellin stuff that doesn't perform as they claim. which is sketchy.

But i doubt AMD will win the case since intel does not market said products by advertising performance.

Intel at the very least is honest enough not to boast by printing dodgy benchmarks on their products to begin with... nor even promoting such claims to solidify their footing on the IT market.

Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taichi
Cooling Wraith Max HSF
Memory 2 x 8GB G.Skill FlareX @ 3400 MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 250GB/Western Digital SN550 Blue 1TB/Crucial MX500 500GB (Ubuntu)/Toshiba 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UD68-P
Case Fractal Design Define R6 TG
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Corsair K75 (Cherry Brown Switches)
I think the last paragraph in the article sums things up nicely.

Based on AMD’s findings, the FX processor still could not outperform the Core i5 processor. But, what AMD wants consumers to know is that there isn’t a huge performance gap between both processors as indicated by SYSmark, which brings us to an important point: PCMark8 measures the overall performance of a particular system, while SYSmark measures raw CPU performance. If one were to compare two processors directly, which software would be more suitable? Food for thought.

It seems to me AMD's benchmark is far more biased, considering it doesn't single out the product they're actually trying to sell.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Intel at the very least is honest enough not to boast by printing dodgy benchmarks on their products to begin with... nor even promoting such claims to solidify their footing on the IT market.
Yea That seems to be a staple of AMD last 4-5 years with their benchmarks. Its been one biggest reasons I dislike them is promoting questionable PR benchmarks graph's that you can look at them and see where they pretty much cheated by using specialized benchmarks like ones that run using OpenCL.

I think the last paragraph in the article sums things up nicely.
It seems to me AMD's benchmark is far more biased, considering it doesn't single out the product they're actually trying to sell.

If you read what you quoted, they perfer benchmarks that "measure overall performance" aka takes the GPU in to account in score which AMD's gpu is far better then then intel's. Reality is if you are only play 400-600$ for a laptop most people probably not looking for something to Game on where that GPU is really gonna matter. So reality is they are attacking them selves. Its better to use Software that will utilize what part of cpu will be used instead of what part likely Won't be used as programs can't. Tell me 1 email program that is gpu accelerated? Web browsers for most part aren't either cept for video decoding but cpu on intel side is more then good enough to do the job anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.