• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zotac GTX 980 Ti Amp! Edition Review

So once again my good friends over at Zotac has sent me another beast to play with, This time it's the Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Edition

As a note:
I would first like to say, as most know how I review who seen them, my computer is setup just to game, it is not optimized in any way to get max performance out of every last piece like disabling things to get a fraction more out of it. It is not a fresh install of windows, I use this computer to game on like an everyday computer to bring a feeling of an end user usage.

Review Rig
Nvidia Driver Version: 353.30
Operating System: Windows 7
Monitor: Asus 25? VE258Q
CPU: i7 2600k stock settings 3.4ghz (3.8ghz Turbo Boost) OC: @4.2ghz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme ?P67?
PSU: silent-pro-m2-1000w
Memory: Avexir Core Series DDR3 1600mhz XMP 10-10-10-24 Quad Channel 32gb Kit
Case: Coolermaster Haf X
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster TPC 812
HDD/SSD: 240gb Kingston SSD, 750gb Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid

Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Edition Specifications
-Model ZT-90503-10P
-Interface PCI Express 3.0
-Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
-GPU GeForce GTX 980 Ti
-Core clock 1051 MHz (base) 1140 MHz (boost)
-Cores 2,816
-Shader Clock N/A
-Memory Clock 7010 MHz
-Memory Size 6GB
-Memory Interface 384-bit
-Memory Type GDDR5
-DirectX DirectX 12
-OpenGL OpenGL 4.4
-DVI 1 (2560x1600)
-HDMI 1 (4K @ 60 Hz)
-DisplayPort 3 (4K @ 60 Hz)
-VGA With adapter
-Tuner None
-RAMDAC N/A
-Max Resolution 4K
-RoHS Compliant Yes
-SLI Supported 4-way
-Cooler Triple 90mm IceStorm
-Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
-Supported OS Certified for Windows 8 / 7 / Vista
-Packaging
-Package Contents ZT-90503-10P DVI-to-VGA Adapter Dual 4-pin MOLEX-to-6-pin PCIe adapter Dual 6-pin MOLEX-to-8-pin PCIe adapter Driver Disk User Manual

Introducing the packaging, Here we can see the Zotac logo, what version of the line it is, and the features it comes with.
Such as Extended Warranty, 6gb GDDR5 Memory, IceStorm cooler, being SLI Ready, Gamestream, Gameworks, G-Sync, and DirectX 12

Flipping it over, you see some more Zotac specific features like the FireStorm Overclocking Utility allowing for Performance access to fine tune, Quick boost for 1-click instant acceleration, and real time control panel readings like temperature voltage and speed ect.
Also the IceStorm Cooler setup, Windows 8 compatibility and of course some system requirements.

Opening the box, you are presented with another box which is all blacked out and a reflective Zotac logo holding the card safely inside.

Removing the contents of the Graphics card box, you are presented with a dual 6pin to 8pin, dual molex to 6pin, DVI to VGA, as well as the 980 Ti AMP! Edition graphics card.
A nice little reminder as well, informing you about Freeze tech with the label on the middle fan about it's fans do stop spinning at low loads.

So, while we look at the picture below I want to point out we have a replica of their 970 AMP! Extreme Core edition graphics card for the cooling, if you would like to take a look at this picture http://i.imgur.com/neQanhbl.jpg they look identical because they use the same cooler.

Removing the 970 AMP! Extreme Core edition, we show the card by itself with the Triple-fan IceStorm w/ Carbon ExoArmor which will cool this beast while you game heavy with 5 copper heat pipes throughout the cooler.
Noting, this card sits at around 31cm or 12.2 inches.

Also a nice close-up on the middle fan to see the carbon fiber detail.

Flipping it over, since the 980 Ti release from Nvidia, Zotac decided to go with a Wrap around backplate "Please excuse the glare, This thing is shiny!" to help aid the resist of warping instead of a regular ol backplate.
As you can see, It shows Push The Limit "In the correct facing position might I add" A nice Sized Zotac logo, some slots most likely to allow airflow still, Also let me add this is All metal and gives quite a quality feel to it.

Then To show one more, Here you can see just how much this backplate truly wraps around the card.

Of course, Back to the Visible piece in most cases, The Side of the GPU showing off the Zotac logo.
Sadly though, For some odd reason this does not illuminate and quite disappointing for eye candy.

Checking out the Display options, We have THREE DisplayPorts, ONE HDMI, as well as ONE DVI

So now getting into some settings for the Graphics card, Sadly for now it seems that the current version of Zotac Firestorm does not support any fan readings for this graphics card, as when on load it shows N/A as you can see below.
Momentarily Let's take a look at the different OC Settings for their One Click optimization they have to offer if you want a little more out of your Stock settings that come with the Graphics Card with the Quick Boost One Click Instant Acceleration.

Continuing some settings, I want to talk about their Freeze tech setup which allows for the fan to stay off until load seems to start the fans at around 65c, while it turns off at around 55c.
I personally would have liked to see the fan turn on at around 55c and turn off at around 40c due to the fact that while Idle this card can sit at around 30-35c in most normal cases, giving it more of an optimal setting most average users may experience.
Zotac has also noted it's due to the sensor, Maybe in future cards they will take note and adjust if this cannot be updated based on bios.

Lets get into some performance now!
For game settings, All were practically maxed out, and details on what was changed are below per game.
Wanting to give everyone more than just 1080p I decided to run DSR from Nvidia and give some higher resolution performance in this review, While it may not be exactly what we would see, it's close and as well as for those who want to run DSR possibly till they want to get a new monitor.

I do want to mention, For Hitman Absolution, As well as Grand Theft Auto V I used their games built in benchmarks as it does a Fine job at replicating actual gameplay.
For GTA-V though, I took each Pass of the benchmark which was 5 passes and put them together and divided by 5 to get the average FPS for Min Max and Average.

Besides those two games, I used Fraps to record all actual In-game gameplay finding spots that truly made it works getting low and high FPS.

Alien Isolation Settings
Ultra
Deep Color OFF
SMAA T2x
Anisotropic 16x
SSAO HDAO

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros Settings
Ultra

Witcher 3
Post Processing High
Ambient Occlusion SSAO
Graphics Ultra
Hairworks OFF

Hitman Absolution
Quality Ultra
MSAA 2x
Anisotropic 16x
FXAA-Checked
Global Illuminatioin-Checked
Tessellation-Checked

Battlefield 4
Map Used: Locker 64man
Ultra
Resolution Scale: 100% (Including for 1440p and 4k DSR Tests)

Grand Theft Auto V
For all the settings everything is set to Very High besides listed below.

FXAA: On
MSAA: x2
TXAA: Off
Shader Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection MSAA: Off
Water Quality: High
Particle Quality: High
Grass Quality: Normal
Soft Shadow: Soft
Anisotropic Filtering: x16
Advanced Graphics: All Off

As you can see almost maxing out all games on 1080p for all their settings we get Optimal 60fps or higher for Average Fps which is Ideal, as well as 120fps+ for 120/144hz monitors

All while doing so, while normal and benchmarking...
My room with an ambient temperature of 85F which is around 30C and normal for my room during the summer sadly without AC.
Although with the cooling setup they implemented the GPU Hit a max of 74C and 70% fan speed.
While some people may not deal with this type of extreme ambient temp while at home, it shows how good this GPU can keep cool under already hot ambient room temperature Benchmarking and gaming all day.
Throughout the time using the Graphics card, the fan started to be only as loud as a basic stock CPU Fan so it becomes audible at around 65% Fan speed but it still is not an annoyance to where you hear it over your sound from a game or something like music or even some of your system setups regardless due to as said CPU fans or case fans.

For ease of mind, Here are Firestrike 1.1 and Heaven Benchmark for those interested as it's all about the games to me, but may as well toss em up for those who care.

Ending things off, The Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Edition is a Fantastic buy for few reasons.
It's a reference board meaning for those who Watercool them in the future don't have to fight to find a compatible waterblock or wait for one.
The MSRP is $659.99 which is the Same price as most Reference stock GTX 980 Ti's and on top of that right now you can find this model at the time of review for $649.99
So you end up getting aftermarket cooling, Reference PCB and an overclocked gpu for the price of a reference GTX 980 Ti.
Then add in extended warranty with a nice wrap around Backplate to keep things in check.
With the High Performance this Card gives capable of running your 120/140Hz monitors at both 1080p/1440p without killing your detail, and then also potential for 4k 60Hz monitors with high settings.

So if you want to get a 980 Ti, Zotac's GTX 980 Ti AMP! is just for you since it costs the same as the Reference Nvidia card while adding Zotacs touch of cooling with a factory overclock.

One thing I do not understand is why they decided to not illuminate the Zotac logo, Although it's the same cooler on the GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core which does illuminate.
Regardless of the Extra length of the card due to the Cooler, Please be reminded this is still a long card and may not fit into some form factors and configurations due to compact cases.

If I did not receive this for review, I would have purchased it and recommended it.
As in my eye's It is a MUST BUY due to pricing and performance compared to the Reference Nvidia GTX 980 Ti.
Rated, I would give it a 4.5/5 as it's a great take at a competitive price on the reference design.

Pros:
Factory overclock
Silent and efficient cooler
Price
SLI and 3-way SLI
Wraparound Backplate Included
Freeze tech "Fans turn off on low load/temps"

Cons:
Length of card
Firestorm buggy
GPU Sag "Backplate seems to add some heft"
No logo illumination

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Great card for a fair price relative to the competition, thanks for the review.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I was excited about the Amp Extreme that just released at first, which is their real beast, but after further research, my initial pick, the Giga G1, seems still the best 980 Ti option.

The Giga is $10 cheaper, over half inch shorter, runs slightly cooler and quieter, is double slot vs 2+ slots, and Guru3D shows it besting the Amp Extreme, MSI Gaming, and ASUS Strix in Firestorm when all are OCed.

I also feel Giga has the best support of all of them.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_ti_strix_review,35.html

I was excited about the Amp Extreme that just released at first, which is their real beast, but after further research, my initial pick, the Giga G1, seems still the best 980 Ti option.

The Giga is $10 cheaper, over half inch shorter, runs slightly cooler and quieter, is double slot vs 2+ slots, and Guru3D shows it besting the Amp Extreme, MSI Gaming, and ASUS Strix in Firestorm when all are OCed.

I also feel Giga has the best support of all of them.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_ti_strix_review,35.html

While entirely different cards I see what you're saying.
Also from what I seen the Zotac Amp! Extreme edition is on par with the gigabyte version so either way both are great cards from looks of it.
The only real issue you face is 2slot vs 3slot

Id prefer to keep it on topic for this card though =)

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
The only real issue you face is 2slot vs 3slot
The only reason I mentioned it is it's common that Amp cards in general are overblown by a lot of sites. They make it look like they're significantly faster than the competition, but they really aren't if you compare them to the best non ref models when both are OCed.

And the Amp Extreme isn't just fatter than the Giga G1, it's more expensive, longer, hotter, and louder. They also use cheaper plastic vs metal shrouds.

Then again, most reviews are done by people getting them sent to them, vs having to buy them. You don't get a consumer's perspective that way.

The only reason I mentioned it is it's common that Amp cards in general are overblown by a lot of sites. They make it look like they're significantly faster than the competition, but they really aren't if you compare them to the best non ref models when both are OCed.

And the Amp Extreme isn't just fatter than the Giga G1, it's more expensive, longer, hotter, and louder. They also use cheaper plastic vs metal shrouds.

Then again, most reviews are done by people getting them sent to them, vs having to buy them. You don't get a consumer's perspective that way.

I am going to PM you because I would like to stop talking about this here.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I am going to PM you because I would like to stop talking about this here.

You can't always have things the way you would like it, people are allowed to express opinions, even if it is to mention another brand.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
You can't always have things the way you would like it, people are allowed to express opinions, even if it is to mention another brand.

Thank you, and the more those being sent samples try and snuff such comments, it only makes my last point all the more valid.

It's open forum space, not advertising space for someone that sent you a nice GPU.

I know, I am simply pming him to keep it on topic as it will turn into a completely different one by time we are done. They are far different card's and last time I checked things like this was frowned upon on Techpowerup due to thread hijacking and going off topic.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
The extreme edition is merely a slightly higher end variant of the card you're reviewing, and the way you're responding is looking to be far more than just trying to stay on topic. It's looking like adverting, which certainly IS against forum rules.

The Giga G1 is also actually fair game for comparison to the one you're reviewing because it's definitely in the same class of slightly OCed non ref 980 Ti cards.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I know, I am simply pming him to keep it on topic as it will turn into a completely different one by time we are done. They are far different card's and last time I checked things like this was frowned upon on Techpowerup due to thread hijacking and going off topic.

Said posts were in direct comparison to what you had posted. Very on topic, and allowed. I would suggest you work on thickening your skin a bit if you plan to post nothing but reviews here!

I'm not going to get into this, Feel free to post away as I thought a completely non reference designed card being mentioned in a reference was going off topic comparing two cards not based on the reference pcb design that are built differently.

Also my skin is thick, I simply asked that we would chat in PM and discuss, No problems here, also I may post reviews but i'm here reading daily.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
...I thought a completely non reference designed card being mentioned in a reference...

"In a reference" what? Reference card review?

Most would call the standard Amp a non ref card just for having a non ref cooler, backplate, and factory OC.

You're kinda splitting hairs there bud.

"In a reference" what? Reference card review?
Most would call the standard Amp a non ref card just for having a non ref cooler, backplate, and factory OC.

You're kinda splitting hairs there bud.

I said Non reference PCB Design after that as well as I meant non reference pcb designed card.
But if this is how it will be, Ok.
And I am talking about yet again the Reference PCB of this card anything saying reference.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Still in the same general category of non reference 980 Tis. It's merely a matter if one values spending a bit more for the customs PCB and BIOS.

And it really didn't get combative, biased, or drawn out until you made it that way. ;)

At the end of the day, there are still going to be plenty of people interested in saving a little money, so it's not like I've drawn attention away from it. I've even seen people swear the MSI is preferable to them over the just $10 more Giga on something as small as matching other MSI parts or 3db worth of noise, which can easily be accounted for with a slight drop in fan speed on the cooler running Giga.

People tend to have their own opinions and preferences, esp on slight variants of a GPU model that is known to perform well. Reviews don't influence them as much as you might think. You'll more likely get hits and responses on this thread based on the card shown in the title than anything being said here. Just let it find it's way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still in the same general category of non reference 980 Tis. It's merely a matter if one values spending a bit more for the customs PCB and BIOS.

And it really didn't get combative, biased, or drawn out until you made it that way. ;)

At the end of the day, there are still going to be plenty of people interested in saving a little money, so it's not like I've drawn attention away from it. I've even seen people swear the MSI is preferable to them over the just $10 more Giga on something as small as matching other MSI parts or 3db worth of noise, which can easily be accounted for with a slight drop in fan speed on the cooler running Giga.

People tend to have their own opinions and preferences, esp on slight variants of a GPU model that is known to perform well. Reviews don't influence them as much as you might think. You'll more like get hits and responses on this thread based on the card shown in the title than anything being said here. Just let it find it's way.

Well as I said before, I wanted to keep it about the Reference PCB design which is what I was going for.
I may be seeming a bit moody because of how I type out things but I am generally straightfoward, But I do apologize that I personally missed saying a few things i had to point out above about what I mean by reference.

As we discussed in PM I was simply trying to adhere by the forums rules due to me having a similar problem in past saying things just like you are, and I simply did not want it to happen again.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
OK, fair enough. We've both expressed ourselves on the matter. It's time for others shopping for or interested in 980 Tis to chime in. After all, I really don't want your thread locked because of our squabbling over semantics. That wouldn't be fair. ;)

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
So, is there any way to override that auto fan off other then e.g. MSI AB custom fan profile thingy?
I really dislike this fan off by a lot Companies, its just a silly marketing gimmick..

I want a cool 30C card not 50C in idle.. This "feature" is the only thing atm putting me off of getting one.

Well Amp! Omega got sold out and the price got higher, so overall this regular Amp! is the "cheapest" here in EU and my only option atm..

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
So, is there any way to override that auto fan off other then e.g. MSI AB custom fan profile thingy?
I really dislike this fan off by a lot Companies, its just a silly marketing gimmick..

I want a cool 30C card not 50C in idle.. This "feature" is the only thing atm putting me off of getting one.

Well Amp! Omega got sold out and the price got higher, so overall this regular Amp! is the "cheapest" here in EU and my only option atm..

I really don't see the issue with it, hell a lot of the games I play (older titles of course) I get to play with the card running completely passive.

Beyond that I can't speak for other cards but my Palit JetStream idles at 25C.

Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
I really don't see the issue with it, hell a lot of the games I play (older titles of course) I get to play with the card running completely passive.

Beyond that I can't speak for other cards but my Palit JetStream idles at 25C.
Hey, well for my taste idle 50C is a bit too much..

I was also looking at this Super jetstream, so this one has the same fan off then, but idles so low? Really? hmm..

What's its stock boost and how much did you try to OC it, what about load temps, are they ok like with this Zotac Amp!

That's pretty concerning if you're getting 50 celcius idles with the fan off, my card typically is 35-45 celsius worst case scenario which is beyond acceptable.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
fans off is nice.. but what the card idles at is directly related to the internal case temps.. at idle the card generates very little heat.. mine idles at 30 C with the fans off..

to be honest i wish all my fans switched off at idle.. they certainly are not needed.. :)

pmw contolled with everything off below 40 C would be an ideal..

trog

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
fan off is nice.. but what the card idles at is directly related to the internal case temps.. at idle the card generates very little heat.. mine idles at 30 C with the fans off..

to be honest i wish all my fans switched off at idle.. they certainly are not needed.. :)

trog
Get yourself this controller: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7350/nzxt-grid-v2-digital-fan-controller-review/index5.html
(also read the review, its good)
With it you can configure your system to shut every fan off until a specific (custom) temp is reached. ;)

Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
That's pretty concerning if you're getting 50 celcius idles with the fan off, my card typically is 35-45 celsius worst case scenario which is beyond acceptable.

Which one do you have, this Zotac Amp?

Well, I don't own the card yet, was just looking at it.. But that's what I saw by most reviews, idle from 40 -45ish up to 50ish C.. That's why I was asking, don't really like that, I prefer cooler over dead silent and hotter because of that.

My current Zotac 780GTX custom Amp fan cooled idles at 27-30C @ 34%. Basically silent.
fans off is nice.. but what the card idles at is directly related to the internal case temps.. at idle the card generates very little heat.. mine idles at 30 C with the fans off..

pmw contolled with everything off below 40 C would be an ideal..

trog

Interesting..
Yours is Palit Super Jetstream right?
Well I have well ventilated case, still silent though.. So This is a good sign.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i have the palit jet streams in sli.. looking at the them now the bottom card is at 27 C the top one at 32 C.. lets call it a browsing load.. the fans are not running..

by default the fan profiles are off at 30 C and max at 90 C.. set up for quite running as opposed to maximum cooling.. under normal use the fans would never get to max speed simply because the cards would never get to 90 C..

the off at 30 C is little too low.. its right on the edge of sometimes on and sometimes off.. the fans kick in and out instead of being fully off or fully on a lot of the time.. i raised mine to off at just under 40 C.. that way they stay off until a game is cranked up.. i also set mine to max at 70 C.. in sli mode they sit close together and top card runs hotter than none sli mode..

but the idea of fans switching off when not needed is a good one.. i recon all fans should be this way out of the box.. so far graphics cards seem to be the only things have have picked up the idea.. the artic i32 cpu cooler also does it.. or so they claim.. semi passive is the term used..

i will say the off temp is critical.. a fan kicking in and out all the time is annoying.. if they are doing this they are better just spinning slowly..

trog

Last edited: