• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800 problem again and again

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Hey, I've had a lot of posts on problems with flashing my 9800 Pro, well now there's actually a hardware issue that isn't good at all. I installed the Zalman VF700Cu (4 months ago) on my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb, and ever since then it's had strange problems. First, Redline, Sapphire's overclocking utility, finds artifacts at stock speeds when I put the new heatsink on. But with ATItool it was accurate, I went from 420/390 stock cooling to 450/410 with the new stuff. Well now my computer's unstable, and every time it shuts down for no reason or freezes, it says "The system has recovered from a critical error" and it always has to do with my graphics card. Not only that, but randomly it says "Radeon 9800 Pro not connected to power" in the BIOS that stops the computer from starting. Restart it and there's no problem. Should I just get a new card? I mean I want a stable computer, and I wouldn't mind a card about 2x as powerful (X800XL because it's cheap). Thanks everyone

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
your psu?
the power failure is a psu thing

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
I got a PSU that came with my case, Atrix. I've figured out that you guys are right, case PSU's usually suck. My first one didn't cycle right so it just let everything turn on and off, so I got a new one and I guess this one is unstable, but okay. So it's the PSU? Are you sure, because Windows always blames the failures on the graphics card. Thanks everyone

Huge-Raven

You know what
I had the same problem just a few days ago
I couldn't quite wrapp my brain around of what was wrong whit it
Everytime the problem accurred i opened my case and after shutting down my computer and pushed on the powerconnector on the ati card and then it worked.
Then i remembered that the card came with a power-exctention cable attached to it.
The card is from PowerColor by the way
So i thought a bit and then yanked that cable out from the card and oboy did that cable attach hard to the card.
At one point I almost thought i would damage the card, but it worked out just fine and got removed.
Then i connected the one of the PSU powercables instead and it has worked fine since!
So check if your aticard came with a powerexctention cable and remove it, otherwise it must be your PSU that is to "lame" and can't deliver what the card needs in power, whitch is about 180WATTS on full load.
Hope this info helps
Best regards
/Huge-Raven