• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sulon Q Powered by AMD, is the World's Most Advanced VR+AR Headset

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As the 2016 Game Developer Conference kicks off, virtual and augmented reality continues to be top of mind for today's developers and consumers. And it should be. It represents the future of communication and computing, and the promise virtual reality has held for so long finally seems within grasp of today's technologies. Today, Sulon Technologies gets one step closer to that promise, unveiling a neak peek of the Sulon Q, the world's first and only all-in-one, tether-free, "wear and play" headset for virtual reality, augmented reality, and spatial computing.

On stage in front of more than 650 press and developers at the inaugural AMD Radeon "Capsaicin" event, I took the stage to give the world a glimpse of what we've been working on, showing off the forthcoming Sulon Q headset, and the intuitive experiences you can expect, including seamlessly transitioning from the real world to virtual worlds.

Here are some of the highlights of the Sulon Q headset:
  • Distinct "Wear and Play" design - The Sulon Q headset lets you take every world anywhere thanks to its simple and intuitive all-in-one, tether-free, "wear and play" design. There are no confusing minimum specs to be concerned with. No tangled wires to hold you back. No external tracking systems for movement or gestures. Everything you need is on-board. Just put it on and go.
  • VR and AR: The best of both worlds - Enjoy the best of virtual and augmented reality using Sulon's advanced Spatial Processing Unit which combines revolutionary, real-time machine vision technologies enabling you to effortlessly enhance the real world through augmented reality applications, and seamlessly transition from the real world to virtual worlds. The Spatial Processing Unit is an innovative mixed reality spatial computer that provides real-time environment mapping and tracking from the inside outward, dynamic virtualization for VR/AR fusion, and gesture recognition.
  • Spatial computing with Microsoft Windows 10 - Enjoy holographic computing interfaces once reserved for science fiction by placing applications in space in your own living room with a large, immersive 110-degree field-of-view. Multi-task like a professional putting transparent or opaque windows where you want using gestures or the wireless keyboard and mouse provided in the box.
  • Spatial redirection for endless virtual walks, even in your living room - With some smart perceptual tricks, Sulon's real-time, spatial technologies let you walk around and explore virtual environments that are seemingly larger than the physical space you're in. Enjoy a fully interactive VR experience in any space, letting you be a true participant in the virtual world, not just an observer from a single viewpoint or confined to moving using gamepads and controllers.
  • Console-quality graphics and powerful processing - The Sulon Q headset harnesses the latest in processor technology using the recently launched AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon R7 Graphics leveraging AMD's Graphics Core Next architecture. The full performance of 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores are unlocked through a revolutionary Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA), enabling the cores to share memory to work together for dramatic performance and efficiency. The result is a solution that is optimized for modern workloads and media formats, capable of driving the latest graphics APIs including DirectX 12 and Vulkan, and able to render stunning videogame console-quality visuals on a beautiful 2560×1440 OLED display. The Sulon Q headset also integrates AMD's LiquidVR technologies to help ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences.
  • Incredible spatial audio - Using AstoundSound technology, used by the top game and entertainment studios in the world, the Sulon Q headset's 3D spatial audio lets you hear sounds within a complete spherical soundscape with advanced room simulation software algorithms that provide outstanding depth perception using the headset's 3.5mm audio jack in combination with custom spatially-optimized Sulon Q earbuds. For voice communication, the headset also includes dual noise-cancelling embedded microphones.
The Sulon Q headset is truly an amazing piece of kit. We are working incredibly hard to make exploring virtual worlds as simple and intuitive as exploring the real one, and the Sulon Q headset is a big step towards that.

As a powerful and lightweight all-in-one solution that combines VR and AR capabilities with real-time spatial mapping, the Sulon Q headset offers an experience that's unlike anything else. As we put the finishing touches on it and ready for launch in late spring, we hope everyone enjoys today's sneak peek and is equally excited about the headset as we are.

Specifications:
  • Experiences: VR, AR, and spatial computing Ergonomics Lightweight, comfortable, ergonomically designed all-in-one tether-free form factor
  • Processors: AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon R7 Graphics leveraging AMD's Graphics Core Next architecture 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores unlocked through Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) Sulon Spatial Processing Unit (SPU)
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR3 Memory
  • Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Display: 2560x1440 pixels OLED display at 90 Hz 110-degree Field-of-View
  • Audio: 3D spatial audio powered by GenAudio's AstoundSound technology Built-in 3.5 mm audio jack Custom spatially-optimized Sulon Q earbuds Dual noise-cancelling embedded microphones.
  • Tracking: Sulon Spatial Processing Unit combining real-time machine vision technologies and mixed reality spatial computer for real-time environment mapping and tracking from the inside outward, dynamic virtualization for VR/AR fusion, and gesture recognition
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, SPU
  • Software: Microsoft Windows 10 "Project Dragon" application for spatial computing AMD LiquidVR technologies for ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences
  • Peripherals: Wireless keyboard and mouse provided in box Any other Windows 10-compatible controllers and joysticks
  • Connectivity: WiFi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1 2 x USB 3.0 Type A Micro HDMI out

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Man, this VR crap is driving me crazy. Is there any market for this? Is someone interested in completely surrendering your mind and turning into a plant which is driver by a pair of stupid glasses? I truly, truly hope that this ends up being a failure like 3D.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
That's not really what I was hoping for, but at least half-way there.

Few issues, though:
- Basically you are wearing a laptop and a VR headset on your head, so weight is going to be a big problem...
- System configuration and software installation must be done with this thing on your head. Sulon Tech. must've implemented a really tight spatial GUI implementation.
- AMD FX-8800P is a powerful CPU with equally great GPU, but I doubt it can handle anything higher than L4D2, or HL2 @1440p. This means that if games are pre-configured, they'll probably be up-sampled from 1080p or 900p.
- Assuming the thing uses Win10 in its original form + software overlays, this system will have ~150GB of space available for games. New games go upwards 50GB.

Why wouldn't anyone just make a simple wireless HMD with cheap built-in gyroscopic tracker, and no fancy stuff?

Plus the price will go down, because I don't want a VR headset tangled in random peripherals,
...or a VR headset that can also do AR, run Windows, crunch for TPU while charging at night, and make me coffee in the morning (with overheated backpiece).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Man, this VR crap is driving me crazy. Is there any market for this? Is someone interested in completely surrendering your mind and turning into a plant which is driver by a pair of stupid glasses? I truly, truly hope that this ends up being a failure like 3D.

Augmented Reality will revolutionize the offices. Seriously, it will be game changing for any accountant. As for VR... I imagine something like Freelancer. Or HL3.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
That's not really what I was hoping for, but at least
Few issues, though:
- Basically you are wearing a laptop and a VR headset on your head, so weight is going to be a big problem...
- System configuration and software installation must be done with this thing on your head. Sulon Tech. must've implemented a really tight spatial GUI implementation.
IT has an HDMI mini out, so configuring windows and other stuff should be possible on an external screen.
If i don't think it will be with batteries, so the extra hardware should be 400 to 500 g i think, only ting that is somewhat heavy will be the cooling for a 35W chip. The fans will be a annoyance though.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Sorry to say this, since I had the chance to test one of those Oculus VR, but even if the image is HD, you still don't feel anything special. It felt more like playing Nintendo DS with more advanced setings. Nothing mind blowing about it....

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
IT has an HDMI mini out, so configuring windows and other stuff should be possible on an external screen.
If i don't think it will be with batteries, so the extra hardware should be 400 to 500 g i think, only ting that is somewhat heavy will be the cooling for a 35W chip. The fans will be a annoyance though.

I figured our skulls would be the heat sink, just gotta shave a small patch of hair in the back and we're good to go--let our blood do the work.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Didn't notice a mini-HDMI at first glance, so that's good news.

Regarding weight, we can make a quick estimate for a control box:
* 80-100g logic board and all components (assuming it is twice the size/weight of a typical MXM GPU or ARM mini-PC)
* another 15-20g for SSD
* at least 100g aluminium HSF. Given that this is a portable device, that 8800P is most likely locked at 15W max. TDP
* 100g li-po cell bank or something along these lines. I am assuming that there is at least 6000mAh capacity (otherwise it won't last more than an hour).
* 50-60g plastic enclosure

That's already a 360-380g, assuming I did not miss anything.

Then we have an HMD piece (most likely all packed at the front):
* 350g roughly (I'm suing a number slightly less than CV1's weight to compensate for absent IR LEDs, the rest is probably the same)
* ~50g or more for extra stuff, like 4 cameras, trackers

That's at least 400g added to total.

But I can be wrong and Sulon Tech may have reduced the total weight by combining and moving all logic to the front piece (500-600g sitting on your nose, only battery on your back).

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

I can't wait to slap one of these puppies on. I can just see it now... I am lost in a virtual reality with this clunky device on my head while shouting insults at noobs when my wife walks down into my man cave and stands there in observation while I am oblivious to her presence.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I can't wait to slap one of these puppies on. I can just see it now... I am lost in a virtual reality with this clunky device on my head while shouting insults at noobs when my wife walks down into my man cave and stands there in observation while I am oblivious to her presence.
No doubt!!!!

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I can just imagine the train ride into work in the mornings with passengers engrossed in games. :roll:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Oh, it's crap.

I think VR will benefit from realistic design (as reality is presented in the game) more than graphics. Graphics is just a matter of time, but I really believe they have to nail the feel of the thing from the start. Like the ISS demo NASA has, note especially when he just touches objects and throws them around. The graphics doesnt have to be amazing, but if the physics are realistic enough it would probably be very cool.