• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Announces the 2016 Blade Notebook

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Razer, a world leader in connected devices and software for gamers, today announced its new Razer Blade gaming laptop. The Blade's specs have been improved across the board from its predecessor, and it is now more affordable than ever before. The new Razer Blade houses the latest 6th generation Intel Core i7 quad-core processor and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU with 6 GB of VRAM. PCIe SSD technology offers up to three times faster speeds than traditional solid-state drives. Killer Wireless-AC is included. All models will feature 16 GB of DDR4 dual-channel RAM.

All Razer Blade models also come with a stunning 3200x1800 QHD+ display. The laptop remains 0.70 inches thin, but now weighs only 4.25 pounds, making it even more portable than previous generations. The screen and internals are housed in a CNC-milled aircraft grade aluminum chassis. The Razer Blade - following Razer's Blade Stealth Ultrabook - will be the second laptop in the world equipped with individually backlit RGB keys. Millions of color options for the anti-ghosted keyboard are available thanks to Razer's Chroma technology.

All Razer Chroma products, which include mice, keyboards, headsets and a mouse mat, feature 16.8 million customizable colors and a range of effects such as spectrum cycling, breathing, reactive and more. Lighting effects are enabled through Razer's Synapse software that allows synchronizing lighting colors and patterns between Chroma devices with the click of a button.

An SDK is available for developers to integrate Chroma lighting effects in-game. It is already supported by AAA game titles, including Call of Duty, Dota 2, Overwatch and Blade and Soul.

The Razer Blade gaming laptop will follow the Razer Blade Stealth's direct-to-consumer pricing model to keep costs down. Previously at $2,399 for a QHD+ display, the new Razer Blade now starts at $1,999.

"We are getting much more aggressive as far as price point, but that hasn't come at a cost to the performance or design of the Razer Blade," says Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder and CEO. "We've improved nearly every aspect of the 14-inch laptop, from CPU and GPU performance to system memory and port selection. Chroma technology unlocks an unprecedented, immersive experience on a gaming laptop."

The new Razer Blade will be compatible with the Razer Core external graphics enclosure in the near future. Utilizing Thunderbolt 3, the Razer Core will connect to the Razer Blade, providing desktop-class graphics and additional connectivity such as USB 3.0 and Ethernet. Thunderbolt 3 provides remarkable connectivity via the Blade's compact USB-C port at speeds of up to 40 Gbps, the fastest, most versatile link to any dock, display or data device.

Pre-orders for the Razer Blade will start today on RazerStore.com. Units will ship in April. Further retail availability will be announced later this year.

Price:
  • U.S. $1,999 - 256 GB PCIe SSD
  • U.S. $2,199 - 512 GB PCIe SSD
Product features:
  • Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core Processor (2.6 GHz / 3.5 GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M (6 GB GDDR5 VRAM)
  • 16 GB Systems Memory (DDR4, 2133 MHz)
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • 256 GB / 512 GB SSD (PCIe M.2) options
  • 14.0-in. IGZO QHD+ 16:9 Ratio, 3200x1800, with LED backlight, capacitive multi-touch
  • Anti-ghosting keyboard with per-key lighting Powered by Chroma
  • Killer Wireless-AC 1535 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.1)
  • Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
  • USB 3.0 port x3 (SuperSpeed)
  • HDMI 1.4b video and audio output
  • 3.5 mm headphone/microphone combo port
  • Built-in webcam (2.0 MP)
  • Built-in stereo speakers
  • Array microphone
  • Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater Edition
  • 7.1 Codec support (via HDMI)
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) security chip embedded
  • Razer Synapse enabled with programmable keyboard, trackpad, backlighting, and fan control
  • Kensington security slot
  • Compact 165 W power adapter
  • Built-in 70 Wh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
  • Approx. Size: 0.70 in. / 17.9 mm (Height) x 13.6 in. / 345 mm (Width) x 9.3 in. / 235 mm (Depth)
  • Approx. Weight: 4.25 lbs. / 1.93 kg

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

3200x1800 why? You either go 4k or closer to 1080p imo. That 970 will struggle with this resolution anyways so why not go 4k and at least you can watch 4k video on it. If you play any game you will have to lower the resolution so how does this screen help you in any way?!?

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Didn't know minigames like Dota2 are now considered AAA games. That's so nonmasterrace.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Sleek machine, but I really think its bigger brother with the Switching interface thingy is better .

Didn't know minigames like Dota2 are now considered AAA games. That's so nonmasterrace.

How exactly is Dota 2 a "minigame" ? Have you been living under a rock or what? The last Dota 2 International tournament had the highest prize pool of any gaming tournament ever, $18,429,613, and 4.5 million people were watching the finals. 1 million people on this planet play dota 2 every day so yeah...

Last edited:

In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") or Triple-A is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion or the highest ratings by a consensus of professional reviewers.

Yeah, no, Dota 2 is as AAA as a game can be.

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
How exactly is Dota 2 a "minigame" ? Have you been living under a rock or what? The last Dota 2 International tournament had the highest prize pool of any gaming tournament ever, $18,429,613, and 4.5 million people were watching the finals. 1 million people on this planet play dota 2 every day so yeah...

QFT

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
The last Dota 2 International tournament had the highest prize pool of any gaming tournament ever, $18,429,613, and 4.5 million people were watching the finals. 1 million people on this planet play dota 2 every day so yeah...

Very sad facts indeed.... ;) This should have been Starcraft ( all games ).

But I also don't feel like AAA is appropriate for DOTA2. I accept AAA ratings as high- budget, usually franchise games. Not spin off of a "random map settings" map on Warcraft, picked up by one studio with one game in its portfolio with one map on it ( despite the fact the lore of DOTA supposes other arenas as well ). But that's just personal opinion.

Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Very sad facts indeed.... ;) This should have been Starcraft ( all games ).

But I also don't feel like AAA is appropriate for DOTA2. I accept AAA ratings as high- budget, usually franchise games. Not spin off of a "random map settings" map on Warcraft, picked up by one studio with one game in its portfolio with one map on it ( despite the fact the lore of DOTA supposes other arenas as well ). But that's just personal opinion.

Why would it be sad?
Its a very high skill leveled game with well balanced mechanics just like any other great games in history, including, yes, Starcraft. The fact that YOU don't play it or isn't very good at it doesn't make it any less of an AAA title than it should be. I don't understand what you mean by "random" map setting, in Warcraft 3 its called custom maps, whats the random element you are speaking of? The origin of a game has nothing to do with AAA ratings, You are trying so hard to discredit this game its hilarious.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
I don't understand what you mean by "random" map setting, in Warcraft 3 its called custom maps, whats the random element you are speaking of? The origin of a game has nothing to do with AAA ratings, You are trying so hard to discredit this game its hilarious.

Random map setting is derived from Broodwar days, when I used to play it. It is equally hilarious the way previous posts try to prove it's AAA title.

EDIT: Also I said I "feel like " , I didn't state anything as fact. It's my gut feeling as an ex-gamer that speaks there.

Random map setting is derived from Broodwar days, when I used to play it. It is equally hilarious the way previous posts try to prove it's AAA title.
There is nothing to prove as the game by definition is an AAA title. Why the butt-hurt over it? Because you don't play it?

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
There is nothing to prove as the game by definition is an AAA title. Why the butt-hurt over it? Because you don't play it?

Why simply not let go, dude ? I've tried the game, spent some hours on it, leveled up one hero. I didn't like it. I had my fair and square chance to test the game and make my own opinion and my own grounds. Why the butt- hurt ? Because people try to shove it in one's throat as the best- E- sports game in the world, while it isn't. Or at least not the only one.

Why simply not let go, dude ? I've tried the game, spent some hours on it, leveled up one hero. I didn't like it. I had my fair and square chance to test the game and make my own opinion and my own grounds. Why the butt- hurt ? Because people try to shove it in one's throat as the best- E- sports game in the world, while it isn't. Or at least not the only one.
It's you who simply does not want to let go. Whether you enjoy the game or not was never the part of argument. It does not change the fact that it is indeed an AAA title by definition, despite of its origins and whatever you try to discredit. And I don't see anyone here who is trying to shove it down your throat. Nobody is forcing you to play it. People here are simply just stating facts and quoting statistics and you just fail to accept that. This argument was never about YOU. I'm just in disbelief that one can be so disillusioned about it.

I've tried the game, spent some hours on it, leveled up one hero.

No, you didn't. You are straight up lying here. You don't level up heroes in dota 2. You can pick any hero in the game from the start and there is no leveling involved. Maybe you tried HOTS or lol, that's where you level up heroes to get access to other heroes. This is besides the point though, you just cannot say a game is not AAA because you don't like it. I hate lol, for example and think it's just a sad dota rip off but that doesn't change the fact it's the biggest and most successful game in the world right now. You were 100% wrong with your statement and that's why I'm replying to it. Dota 2 is one of the biggest games right now and it's one of the premier AAA titles out there. Just look how many awards it won. I quote from wikipedia:

Following its first public showing, Dota 2 won IGN's People's Choice Award.[87] In December 2012, PC Gamer listed Dota 2 as a nominee for the 2012 Game of the Year award, as well as the best electronic sports title of the year.[103] The game won 2013 eSport of the year awards from PC Gamer[90] and onGamers.[92] GameTrailers awarded the game the award for Best PC Game of 2013.[91] For IGN's Best of 2013 award series, Dota 2 won the awards for Best PC Strategy & Tactics Game, as well as Best PC Multiplayer Game. The game's awards for IGN's Best of 2013 won their People's Choice Award counterparts, as well.[88][89] Similarly, Game Informer recognized Dota 2 for the categories of Best PC Exclusive, Best Competitive Multiplayer and Best Strategy of 2013.[93] In the 2013 edition of Game Revolution's countdown of the top twenty-five PC video games of all time, Dota 2 was listed in the number four position.[104] Dota 2 was nominated for a number of Game of the Year awards by Destructoid, including the award for the best competitive game. While the staff selected StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, Dota 2 received the majority of the votes distributed between the nine nominees.[105] In 2014, Dota 2 was nominated for best multiplayer game at the 10th British Academy Video Games Awards, but lost to Grand Theft Auto V.[106] In 2015, Dota 2 was nominated for eSports Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2015, and won the award for best MOBA at the 2015 Global Game Awards.[107][108]

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
I People here are simply just stating facts and quoting statistics and you just fail to accept that. This argument was never about YOU. I'm just in disbelief that one can be so disillusioned about it.

Well to be honest I feel somewhat personally challenged. I went back to your first quote of my post and I don't see any statistics related to the definition of "ААА game". The only facts that were stated so far were how popular the game is. According to the definition of "ААА title" , there should be development budget cited, promotion costs cited and I don't see either. Neither from you nor from me. I don't want this argument to be about me, but going back to your posts I only see how you calling me "disillusioned" and asking why I am so butt-hurt and also explaining to me, how hilarious my opinion may be - kinda of offensive to call someone's opinion hilarous IMO. But I may be simply too thin-skinned, which I can't blame you for. Anyway,I don't want a fight. I am sorry if you feel offended, wasn't my intention honestly. Excuse me negativity, it happened before as well.
[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
No, you didn't. You are straight up lying here. You don't level up heroes in dota 2. You can pick any hero in the game from the start and there is no leveling involved. Maybe you tried HOTS or lol, that's where you level up heroes to get access to other heroes. This is besides the point though, you just cannot say a game is not AAA because you don't like it. I hate lol, for example and think it's just a sad dota rip off but that doesn't change the fact it's the biggest and most successful game in the world right now. You were 100% wrong with your statement and that's why I'm replying to it. Dota 2 is one of the biggest games right now and it's one of the premier AAA titles out there. Just look how many awards it won. I quote from wikipedia:

Shall I prepare the stake and give a matchstick for it ? or you will get the matchstick yourself ? or may be I should light myself on fire to save you the trouble ? I re-checked my comment. You are right, I got confused for LoL, but I am not a liar. Or at least I try really hard not be.

EDIT: Look, man I don't want to spoil human relationship when I am wrong actually. I apologize.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I don't think I would classify Dota as an AAA game either, based mostly on the budget thing. I wouldn't say WoW or CSGO are AAA games either. WoW might have been at one point, but that was a decade ago. Most MOBA games aren't AAA games IMO.

But that doesn't matter, at all. It's a discussion about semantics and everyone's wrong, objectively and subjectively, in that order.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
Does anybody know if the RAM can be upgraded to 32 GB?

If the previous Razer laptops are any indication, no you cannot upgrade the RAM in this. It is soldered to the board.

I am looking at this new 14" to replace my 7 year old Sager. I really like their Razer Core docking station that will be universally accepted on laptops using the Thunderbolt 3 interface. That's the biggest drag on my Sager right now is that I cannot upgrade the GPU anymore in it.

You can also use the amplified graphics on the laptop's internal LCD monitor, that is very nice too. I think the Alienware one works in the same function.

I don't think I would classify Dota as an AAA game either, based mostly on the budget thing.

I don't want to drag this any longer but speaking about budget and stuff, how many games do you know of that have their main theme recorded like this?

That is how all the music for the game was recorded. Does it look like it was done on a tight budget or anything? This orchestra hired by Valve even played live at tournaments to promote the game. Do you really think something like this is cheap? Recently at a tournament a chinese orchestra played these songs, lead by the same man and it sounded exactly the same. That means the songs are properly written and any true orchestra in the world can play them. You don't get that level of professionalism with 99% of the music in games that are out nowadays.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Voice_actors

And these are the voice actors for the game. Each one of them hired by Valve to work at this game. You simply cannot tell me dota 2 is not a high budget game. Hundreds of highly paid individuals worked at making this game. It's not like it was done in a basement or something.

Last edited: