• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Accepts Pre-orders for the Razer Core External Graphics Solution

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Razer, a world leader in connected devices and software for gamers, today announced pricing, availability and compatibility of its 2016 "Best of CES" award-winning Razer Core. The device is the world's first plug-and-play Thunderbolt 3 external graphics enclosure that debuted earlier this year in tandem with the Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook, itself an official "Best PC" and "People's Choice" CES winner.

"Razer continues to innovate in the laptops category where big systems brands either cannot or will not," says Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder and CEO. "This time, in collaboration with industry leaders, we've created the world's first external graphics card solution of its kind, bringing the GPU power of a desktop PC to the latest Razer laptops, such as the Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook, through a single Thunderbolt 3 connection with plug-and-play convenience."

"All consumers, non-gamers and gamers alike, now can easily migrate from their Razer laptop for on-the-go performance to driving a full desktop experience using Razer Core, including enhanced graphics and simple connectivity to peripherals."

The graphics enclosure supports a single double-wide, full-length, PCI-Express x16 graphics card. Qualified AMD Radeon graphics cards are available for use with the Razer Core. At launch of the Razer Core, NVIDIA will support GeForce GTX GPUs, including the entire lineup of Maxwell GPUs, such as the best-selling GTX 970. The Razer Core will be compatible with Razer's latest systems including the Blade Stealth Ultrabook, and the new Razer Blade 14-inch gaming laptop in the near future.

The Razer Core will be available for pre-order starting today and will ship starting in April. The MSRP for Razer Core is $399 with the purchase of a compatible Razer notebook or $499 if purchased separately. Current registered owners of the Blade Stealth will receive the discounted price.

A single Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cable provides ample bandwidth and is all it takes to connect compatible Razer systems with the Razer Core. With the Razer Blade Stealth, the Razer Core also provides power to the notebook, charging the internal battery. Whether a laptop user is interested in gaming or editing 4K video with external desktop graphics performance, Thunderbolt 3 is the all-in-one connection that can make it possible with select Razer systems like the Blade Stealth and Razer Core.

"Thunderbolt 3 brings Thunderbolt to USB-C at speeds up to 40 Gbps, creating one compact port that does it all," said Jason Ziller, director of Thunderbolt Marketing, Intel. "Thanks to technical collaboration between Intel, Razer and the Radeon Technologies group at AMD, Razer Core is the first plug-and-play external graphics solution that transforms the Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook into a desktop-like gaming experience"

The Razer Blade Stealth and Razer Core are the first products to ship that support AMD XConnect technology, which when configured with a qualified Radeon graphics card ensures seamless switching between discrete and integrated Intel HD graphics for a true plug-and-play user experience.

"We believe powerful external GPUs are thrilling for gamers that have longed to connect serious gaming performance to an ultrathin notebook," said Ravi Gananathan, Director, MNC Graphics, AMD. "With the advent of AMD XConnect technology, that dream is a simple and intuitive reality. Together, the Razer Core and AMD XConnect for Radeon graphics are the ultimate intersection of performance, simplicity and design."

Physical installation of a graphics card into the Razer Core requires no tools. Its durable aluminum housing slides open elegantly, and a single included thumb-screw secures the graphics card in place. Razer's solution helps future-proof systems, as graphics cards are easily swappable as new components become available. Traditional laptop designs with fixed internal processors could not easily allow for upgrading graphics capabilities over time, if at all.

Bringing desktop-level graphics and display connectivity to a notebook is only part of this innovative solution from Razer. The Razer Core also contains four additional USB 3.0 ports and Ethernet connectivity, and it has two-zone lighting technology Powered by Razer Chroma. It is now easier than ever to transform a thin and light notebook into a complete desktop experience.

Razer Core can accommodate graphics cards that draw a maximum of 375 W and no larger than 12.20 inches x 5.98 inches x 1.73 inches (310 mm x 152 mm x 44 mm). Plug-and-play support varies according to graphics chipset and notebook model. Interested parties may go to the Razer website for full details. Compatible graphics cards are sold separately. More information about Razer Core is available at this page.

Qualified AMD Radeon graphics cards (AMD XConnect supported with Blade Stealth):
  • AMD Radeon R9 Fury
  • AMD Radeon R9 Nano
  • AMD Radeon R9 300 Series
  • AMD Radeon R9 290X
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • AMD Radeon R9 280
Supported NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards (at launch):
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
Razer Core Specifications:
  • Connection to PC: Thunderbolt 3 using included 40 Gbps cable
  • GPU Support: graphics card sold separately
  • GPU Type: (1) double-wide, full-length PCI-Express x16 graphics card
  • GPU Max Dimensions: 12.20" x 5.98" x 1.73" (310 x 152 x 44 mm)
  • GPU Max Power Support: 375 W
  • Graphics Output: Based on capabilities of installed graphics card
  • Input & Output:
    o USB 3.0 x 4
    o Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000
    o Thunderbolt 3 (for connection to PC)
  • Lighting: Powered by Razer Chroma - 2 zones
  • Power Supply: 500 W
  • Approx. Dimensions: 4.13" (104.9 mm) wide x 13.38" (339.9 mm) deep x 8.6" (218.4 mm) high
  • Approx. Weight: 10.89 lbs. (4.94 kg)

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
PAHAHAHAHAHA.

$500 for an enclosure with no included GPU. It's a tin box with an I/O board and a cheap PSU.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
What a rip off

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
500$? Are they nuts?

Off a Thunderbolt2 port a DIY eGPU setup costs about 250$ (+Shipping):
1) Akitio Thunder2 enclosure, includes a Thunderbolt cable.
2) 25$ for 220W power brick to power it.
This covers any video card up to 75W (750Ti, GTX950 w/o 6-pin plug, R7 360 Green). Then you need a small mod to power a 6-pin or 8pin connector for more powerful GPUs, up to the wattage your power brick can provide.

And that is while buying a MAC-oriented (read: overpriced) peripheral for the enclosure!

500$? Seriously? I guess we'll just wait for someone to start the actual competition going. Razer is just trying to gouge the early adopters.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
PAHAHAHAHAHA.

$500 for an enclosure with no included GPU. It's a tin box with an I/O board and a cheap PSU.

Probably why Nvidia slipped it into drivers without fanfare (their mobility 980 is good enough and probably adds less cost to a laptop). Though I'm sure someone can do the maths for me...

On the flipside, AMD were all over the thing with their announcement as they have a lower profile in high end mobile GPU - which is really weird seeing how good Fiji is for size.

But yeah, Laptop with a good Maxwell or not so good laptop that still needs a BIOS to support the enclosure and the enclosure itself...

Niche to nowhere fast.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
not so good laptop that still needs a BIOS to support the enclosure and the enclosure itself...

Just a note on this: Thunderbolt (1, 2 or 3) enables any PCIe device to appear in the host's PCIe address space. It doesn't need special BIOS support for anything (caveat: You do need sufficient addressing space to remain free to accommodate an additional GPU, which not all laptops support out of the box, but it isn't specific to this, or any other, enclosure). This becomes evident when you consider that despite Intel's (Apple's?) opposition to the eGPU idea on Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt2 devices people have gotten them to work. The idea of a PnP eGPU has to do more with SW (GPU and Chipset/Thunderbolt) driver support than actual HW support. PCIe hotplug exists on Thunderbolt 1/2, but nVidia/AMD drivers go nuts (read: BSoD) if you just yank the cable out. Without SW awareness to the fact that a GPU can be pulled out of its "slot" this is equivalent of taking out a GPU from a desktop while it is running. While the PCIe slot might support hotplug, the machine will still BSoD to hell. It is still "hotpluggable" if you disable the device in the Device Manager and then yank it out, since this unloads the driver before the hot-unplug event.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Just a note on this: Thunderbolt (1, 2 or 3) enables any PCIe device to appear in the host's PCIe address space. It doesn't need special BIOS support for anything (caveat: You do need sufficient addressing space to remain free to accommodate an additional GPU, which not all laptops support out of the box, but it isn't specific to this, or any other, enclosure). This becomes evident when you consider that despite Intel's (Apple's?) opposition to the eGPU idea on Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt2 devices people have gotten them to work. The idea of a PnP eGPU has to do more with SW (GPU and Chipset/Thunderbolt) driver support than actual HW support. PCIe hotplug exists on Thunderbolt 1/2, but nVidia/AMD drivers go nuts (read: BSoD) if you just yank the cable out. Without SW awareness to the fact that a GPU can be pulled out of its "slot" this is equivalent of taking out a GPU from a desktop while it is running. While the PCIe slot might support hotplug, the machine will still BSoD to hell. It is still "hotpluggable" if you disable the device in the Device Manager and then yank it out, since this unloads the driver before the hot-unplug event.

I was only going on what I read in some specs from Razer suggesting BIOS level implementation was required. Unless that's just PR bull to sell their Razer Blade laptop.

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
PAHAHAHAHAHA.

No, I don't think its that funny, Razer products are sleek and elegant, as a designer I can tell they've spent some cash into R&D, no other products on the market are able to match the Razer right now in this aspect. I'd gladly shell out $500 for the enclosure as I have a normal job and, with the inflation and all 500$ is really nothing these-days, a weekend getaway cost even more than this but I can use this enclosure for years to come!. So this price point is actually pretty affordable, heck, I'll even take 2 of them for backup!

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
I was only going on what I read in some specs from Razer suggesting BIOS level implementation was required. Unless that's just PR bull to sell their Razer Blade laptop.

They aren't entirely wrong here. There are laptops which are unable to accommodate the extra GPU. There are workarounds for them, for the most part, but to make it totally fool-proof, you might need some BIOS changes, a bootloader or a Windows Registry tweak (or all of the above). That said, most modern laptops can support this if you add BIOS support (even retroactively, to a model that is a couple of years old. An example was that Lenovo added a new BIOS to change the PCIe address space layout to accommodate eGPUs via Expresscard on their X230 series. By the way, that's what I call customer orientation!), so it isn't like you *need* the Razer Blade for this to work, unless the enclosure/laptop is doing something shady like blacklisting hosts and/or video cards by PCIe Device ID.

In the end Thunderbolt is a PCIe tunnel. Getting it work like the PCIe slot on a desktop is the easy part. It is the Plug-and-Play nature of peripherals for the mobile user that can be more complicated. It is trivial for an enthusiast to understand the nature of the beast and agree to some limitations. After all, we void our warranties half the time anyway and we're used to seeing BSoDs when we tweak things. The common end users expect plug-and-play and no issues to speak of.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
No, I don't think its that funny, Razer products are sleek and elegant, as a designer I can tell they've spent some cash into R&D, no other products on the market are able to match the Razer right now in this aspect. I'd gladly shell out $500 for the enclosure as I have a normal job and, with the inflation and all 500$ is really nothing these-days, a weekend getaway cost even more than this but I can use this enclosure for years to come!. So this price point is actually pretty affordable, heck, I'll even take 2 of them for backup!

You are obviously free to shell out 500$ for the enclosure and even take 2 for backup. But 500$ is not a small chunk of change and it that can be used better even in the case of computer hardware upgrades. The nature of the box itself is an I/O board, a PCIe slot, a power supply and an aluminum (or steel) chassis.

The TB3 controller chip costs less than 10$ for OEMs. Even if you assume that the PCB and slot assembly costs 50$ (it doesn't), the PSU costs 100$ (it doesn't, we're talking about a decent SFF 400-500W unit here, nothing more and nothing less, which can be bought at a consumer price of about 90$, tops) and the enclosure itself costs as much as a pretty high-end mITX case, or 100$ (it doesn't, it requires less materials and can be produced by pretty much any metal case manufacturer), then you come up at 260$ while paying more than consumer (!) prices on the parts.

Somebody is trying to make one hell of a margin here before the market is saturated with cheaper alternatives.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'd much rather they just release their damn fancy webcam instead.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
On one hand this is an interesting solution (alienware doing something similar with their GFX amplifier), but on the other hand it kind of kills the whole portability point of the laptop. Most of the reason people get laptops for gaming is that A) they don't have the space for a desktop....

also gaming on a cramped keyboard/tiny screen... meh. I still think the 17" is the perfect size for a true gaming laptop.

Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
On one hand this is an interesting solution (alienware doing something similar with their GFX amplifier), but on the other hand it kind of kills the whole portability point of the laptop. Most of the reason people get laptops for gaming is that A) they don't have the space for a desktop....

also gaming on a cramped keyboard/tiny screen... meh. I still think the 17" is the perfect size for a true gaming laptop.

You obviously never even read about the product before commenting. It gives people choices, now people can finally remove desktop out of the equation as previously people owned both to fill out portability and gaming needs, and it cuts down weight of the laptop when you are out (not gaming). And you can plug it in at night to turn it into a gaming madhouse. Also you can attach larger monitors to it if you find the laptop screen insufficient. In the end it's all about choices choices choices

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
So let me get this straight. You also need an external monitor for this right? Or you can use the laptop display?

So let me get this straight. You also need an external monitor for this right? Or you can use the laptop display?
You can use the laptop display

Reactions: xvi
Gaming laptops require an outlet for them not to throttle, I would think this would be welcomed. Expensive but since your going to be tied to an outlet anyways to get the most out of your laptop this doesn't restrict you to a 250w brick.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z710-HD3
Cooling H60
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 Ti
Storage BX100 1 TB
Display(s) Acer S277HK
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply EVGA 750W B2
Mouse Logitech G400s
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X4
On one hand this is a cool idea (laptop portability when you need it, better graphics when you don't).

On the other hand, the dock alone costs more than an AMD Nano or GTX 980. For the price of a dock, you might as well just build a desktop. I think it's a great concept that needs a much lower price tag.

You know, for that size..., I am pretty sure one can build a mini itx rig in that enclosure.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
You obviously never even read about the product before commenting. It gives people choices, now people can finally remove desktop out of the equation as previously people owned both to fill out portability and gaming needs, and it cuts down weight of the laptop when you are out (not gaming). And you can plug it in at night to turn it into a gaming madhouse. Also you can attach larger monitors to it if you find the laptop screen insufficient. In the end it's all about choices choices choices

The amplifier is about the size of an SFF gaming desktop, and the laptop can't game by itself... so if you say, want to go over to a friend's house for a LAN party, you still have to lug that with you.

And no one wants to game on a 12"- 14" screen... so you also have to take your monitor, and most likely a decent keyboard and a mouse.... Also if you live in a dorm room or small apt, instead of having a 17" gaming laptop that you can put away into a drawer after, you have to have room for all of those peripherals.

At the end of the day this doesnt give you any more choices, because the footprint of all the stuff is almost equivalent to having a small gaming rig.... so whether you spend the $2000-$1700 bucks (without monitor etc etc) on that ultrathin notebook with a mobile CPU and a GFX amp + GFX card, or you just get a ultrathin notebook and a separate gaming rig, its really not that much difference in terms of 'choices'. You're still rooted to a desk, you still need space, and you still blew upwards of 2K.

If you go this route you're pretty much doing the same thing you had to do before.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
They need to come out with an ITX case with attached screen, that negates the need for the laptop and external graphics, large monitor and other accessories.