• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qubit finally upgrades to Windows 10 permanently!

Have you upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Summer. It's not worth trying, again. Obi Wan Vulkanobi is my only hope.
Well that says it all. The W10 available then was far rougher around the edges then than now since there have been hundreds of updates under the hood, so a retry would definitely be in order. It sounds like you just don't want to run it rather than it actually causing you problems. That's obviously fine if you just don't want it, but be honest about why, because it's certainly not because it will screw up your computer.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Just to break my own rule about not being a spoil sport (I do this all the time, I'm no saint), and prove I am still a windows 10 critic, I decided to see if they've unborked regedit's search function yet.

They haven't. It still freezes when searching the registry, woo.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Well that says it all. The W10 available then was far rougher around the edges then than now since there have been hundreds of updates under the hood, so a retry would definitely be in order. It sounds like you just don't want to run it rather than it actually causing you problems. That's obviously fine if you just don't want it, but be honest about why, because it's certainly not because it will screw up your computer.

Oh, cmon, now, windows will nearly always screw up. It's just a matter of time. Last spring I had to keep restoring from images b/c I would come home to a BSOD and it wouldn't boot. Updates don't mean jack to me. If it's that buggy at launch, then it's going to take years to fix.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Oh, cmon, now, windows will nearly always screw up. It's just a matter of time. Last spring I had to keep restoring from images b/c I would come home to a BSOD and it wouldn't boot. Updates don't mean jack to me. If it's that buggy at launch, then it's going to take years to fix.
Well, that's not my experience and not of many others. XP was fairly stable, but Windows got really stable from 7. You can't just say the updates don't mean jack, that's ridiculous. It's a fact that they improve Windows stability a great deal. No, you don't want W10 because you just don't like it and that's fine, I'm not here to try and change your mind. You can't claim that it's because it will screw up your computer however, because it just won't.

Last edited:
the worst problem by far is the buzzing (stutter) when playing media or gaming while also having a torrent client active.
it drives me nuts that microsoft has yet to fix this crap.
all well on 7 and 8.1, but not on 10.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Its been fine for me, a few bugs but i have had the same with every windows i have ever owned when they are new, its the nature of an os being new, most of the time its older hardware or 3rd party software causing it anyway

tinfoil hats!

Registry search works pretty good for me. Never crashes. The only thing that crashes in W10 is Edge. It happens not quite often, usually with heavy sites.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Its been fine for me, a few bugs but i have had the same with every windows i have ever owned when they are new, its the nature of an os being new, most of the time its older hardware or 3rd party software causing it anyway

tinfoil hats!

Aye a modern OS is a complicated beast so it's hard to tell exactly what is messing things up. When I was a tech support (that was a while ago though) a first step was always to uninstall whatever AV they had, and surprisingly often that solved the issue. Or rather it didn't, but then we could tell them to contact their AV supplier, which always felt good.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Registry search works pretty good for me. Never crashes. The only thing that crashes in W10 is Edge. It happens not quite often, usually with heavy sites.

It'll crash on any install that isn't "fresh," ie has upgraded in some form to a new build. If you started on 10240 and updated to TH2, you have this bug. It's due to long strings the upgrade process makes in the registry, and they broke long string handling.

And yeah, it'll work for finding things up to the long strings. But search the whole registry for something that doesn't exist for example, so it has to parse the whole thing? It'll freeze.

It'll crash on any install that isn't "fresh," ie has upgraded in some form to a new build. If you started on 10240 and updated to TH2, you have this bug. It's due to long strings the upgrade process makes in the registry, and they broke long string handling.

And yeah, it'll work for finding things up to the long strings. But search the whole registry for something that doesn't exist for example, so it has to parse the whole thing? It'll freeze.

I didn't know that so I just went and checked that. My build isn't 'fresh' [upgraded to 14291]. I started to search for some long non-existent string

Registry search didn't crash but it goes on forever without saying that nothing was found with constant 30% cpu usage. What an annoying bug

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I didn't know that so I just went and checked that. My build isn't 'fresh' [upgraded to 14291]. I started to search for some long non-existent string

Registry search didn't crash but it goes on forever without saying that nothing was found with constant 30% cpu usage. What an annoying bug

Yep, that's what I meant by "crash." Technically it's an infinite loop not a crash, but it's equally annoying.

Ms has it on the bugtracker though, so it will be fixed eventually.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i trust my win 10 install enough to feel the need to keep a full system drive image back up no more than couple of weeks old.. if it f-cks up its a ten minute job to revert back to it..

trog

System Name demon tower ( Died 2020 and no funds to reserect)
Processor I7 920 oced to 4.0 gig
Motherboard evga X58 classified
Cooling corsair H100 water cooler
Memory Kinston extream 2000 MHz 6GB
Video Card(s) nvidia gtx 680
Storage 250 gig ssd
Display(s) ASUS 24 in 144 htz
Case Antec full tower
Audio Device(s) creative sound blaster Z
Power Supply 1000 watt evga
Mouse Torq carbon
Keyboard Logitec G710 and a G13 game board
Software win 7 ultimate
I quit using edge and went back to regular explorer. Edge is a nice concept but still needs work especially on lower end machines.

I quit using edge and went back to regular explorer. Edge is a nice concept but still needs work especially on lower end machines.
Yes, unfortunately Edge looks like it was designed for phones and not desktops. It's pretty quick with some sites while it's really bad with others. Its download manager is a joke and it's definitely the worst pdf reader I've ever used. Opening giant pdfs with Edge simply eats 100% cpu and lots of RAM.

In the meanwhile IE in the latest Windows 10 is extremely fast and has no memory leaks.

Btw in the latest build (14295) Windows Search is better and quicker than before. I'm glad MS optimized it and it's not buggy anymore. In previous builds if you looked for some filename (or part of the filename) sometimes it returned zero results. You had to use wildcards like crazy. Now it's working like it should!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
In the meanwhile IE in the latest Windows 10 is extremely fast and has no memory leaks.
Yes, it's weird how developing a new version of a product can mean that Microsoft unlearn everything put into the old one and release a buggy mess that needs years to get up to the level of the old product. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, it's weird how developing a new version of a product can mean that Microsoft unlearn everything put into the old one and release a buggy mess that needs years to get up to the level of the old product. Makes no sense to me.
Because Internet Explorer got really infamous and MS just wants to get red of it. It's like Vista or Millennium. Someone posts some shit in the internet and it spreads all over the world. Remember when every idiot and his wife posted meme or some other crap everywhere about IE or Vista, Windows 8 or WinME. Most of the time all that harsh crap about them was totally unjustified. But yeah, it's teh itnerwebz, everyone is a journalist/reviewer/critic and knows everything lol

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Because Internet Explorer got really infamous and MS just wants to get red of it.
Well, I dunno about that. All they had to do was rebrand it, change the interface and the features a bit, called it "new and improved!" like soap powder and the masses would have drunk the koolaid willingly.

Whatever, all I know is that it opens my online banking PDF statements perfectly. :p

System Name BigPaPaRuZ97
Processor I7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97A/USB 3.1
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 24GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus 980TI Matrix
Storage 2 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in Raid0 , 1TB Hitachi, and 500GB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full Tower
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse CMSTORM
Keyboard CMSTORM
Software W10 Home
All they had to do was rebrand it, change the interface and the features a bit, called it "new and improved!" like soap powder and the masses would have drunk the koolaid willingly

I thought that was Edge

I've upgraded 4 of my PC's and countless friends PC. I like it, Takes a little getting used to but very functional. Did run into problems with two computers, one gave me a permanent blue screen and the other erased the hard drive. I still do not understand what happened and why this happened. Very frustrating to say the least.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
I'm happy to report that I've got 0 issues with W10 so far. I upgraded all my eligible PCs right after release with the Media Creation tool except for my retro rigs (865/875/nf3 chipsets). I had an insider build installed on my main PC so I already knew what I had coming.

Turned what off? Driver updating? I'm surprised to say I'm the first (and apparently only) person to know that doens't work at all. Even if you disable driver updating, WIndows 10 will disregard that and still auto update graphic drivers and also auto install them whether you like it or not. It is IMPOSSIBLE to to make a clean driver install now.

I don't know if that's what helped me but right after doing the upgrade I run a full system refresh. Back when I first installed W10 insider on my machine I had some problems like that (settings that wouldn't stick, random resets even if I told the OS to shutdown, etc, etc) but after doing a clean install via the refresh feature everything worked fine.

System Name mult1kill
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.7
Motherboard GA-AX370-GAMING 5
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Team Group 32gb 3200mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Storage Seagate 3TB+ Corsair 120GB SSD+120 ssd smansung 256gb m.2 Samsung 970
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Sundara JDS Labs Atom
Power Supply FSP HydroG 850W
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
So, what's your upgrade experience been like?

I upgraded once and my RAM died. I took out the faulty RAM stick and turned on my PC, only to find out that my copy of windows was not genuine anymore. Talking to a MS employee, they told me that because I took out a stick of ram, windows 10 thinks it's a new computer therefore not genuine....lol. I ended up returning to windows 8.1 for a while after I got a new set of RAM sticks, and have recently went back to w10 with no problems. I don't think I would have upgraded if it wasnt for DX12, I guess it's a nice upgrade though