• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Accelerates Availability of Mobile 7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced early availability of its new mobile 7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors, timed to support an exciting new notebook design by HP Inc. Equipped with advanced video, graphics, performance, and security features designed to boost productivity and enhance the entertainment experience, 7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors (codenamed "Bristol Ridge") also provide outstanding energy efficiency.

New OEM PC designs powered by mobile 7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors -- from ultrathin notebooks and convertibles to sleek All-in-Ones -- will come to market first with HP in the new HP ENVY x360, and with other OEM announcements expected later in the year. AMD will officially introduce 7th Gen A-Series APUs and showcase a wide range of OEM designs at Computex 2016, May 31-June 4, 2016, in Taipei, Taiwan.

"We know that consumers want more for their money than ever before -- sharper graphics, faster performance, and longer battery life. We have focused on working with key OEM partners to develop outstanding computing platforms that will fully take advantage of the powerful 7th Generation AMD APUs," said Jim Anderson, senior vice president and general manager, Computing and Graphics Business Group, AMD. "I'm excited that consumers will start to see some of these fantastic systems come to market so soon. I'm very proud of the exceptional AMD engineering execution that enabled us to accelerate these exciting new products into the market for our customers and end users."

"It is exciting for HP to be first in bringing 7th Generation AMD A-Series APU technology to market, especially in such a compelling new notebook design," said Kevin Frost, vice president and general manager, Consumer Personal Systems, HP Inc. "We think the HP ENVY x360 will resonate with consumers who are looking for the entertainment- and productivity-enhancing capabilities of the ENVY x360 design, which really showcases AMD computing and graphics prowess."

Now shipping in volume to OEM customers are both quad- and dual-core 7th Gen AMD A-Series processors, featuring mobile-optimized "Excavator" x86 CPU cores for high-speed computing, and Radeon R7 or R5 graphics for smooth online gaming and enhanced HD streaming capabilities. The 7th Generation AMD A-Series FX part shows up to 50% improvement in compute performance over the FX part released just two years ago.

The 7th Gen AMD A-Series APUs will allow users to enjoy the latest multimedia experiences in up to Ultra HD 4K video resolution, and AMD FreeSync Technology support for fluid, artifact-free online gaming performance in capable notebook and All-in-One configurations.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

LoonyBuck

Yeah, and no matter how good AMD made these APUs, various Vendors and OEM will always come up with some magical ways to cripple the performance.

Let me guess, in the product demo they will show you a full 35-42W rated APU, a dual-channel DDR4 running at DDR4-2133, and integrated graphics that is fast enough to be used in casual gaming scenario.
While in real-life products, we will have:
- Crippled to death 15W rated APU just so vendors can save $ on the VRM design and cooler
- The lowest single-channel RAM they could find, or even using Carrizo-L motherboard design so even they put 2 DIMM slots, users can only use single-channel
- Dual-graphics solution that don't even work, or an Add-on GPU that have LOWER performance than the IGP
- IGP share memory limited to 512MB and no way to change it
- OS full of bloatware shoved in a slow-ass HDD
-And they will price that unit as expensive as a MacBook!

I mean, I hate Apple, their pricing and how they do business, but at least they came up with ways to make a slowpoke Core M works quite well, not f**k a good CPU and make it slow. And vendors wonder why their laptop won't sell and 'the PC business is dwindling'

/rant

And driver support. My AMD E-450 APU has non existent GPU driver support and I have the laptop for like 3 years. I literally cannot install ANY driver except the garbage that comes from Windows Update. It's absolute BS how they treat customers with their BS support for hardware. Which naturally makes me stay away from AMD APU's by default because I just don't want to risk getting another APU that will have no support at all after 3-4 years. No matter how much I dislike Intel's business practices, at least they provide god damn drivers even for prehistoric iGPUs.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450i
Cooling CM MasterLiquid Lite 120
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060 Ti
Storage Kingston A2000 NVMe
Display(s) LG 29UM69G
Case SilverStone SG13
Audio Device(s) O2+ODAC
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550W
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Keychron K7
Software W10
And driver support. My AMD E-450 APU has non existent GPU driver support and I have the laptop for like 3 years. I literally cannot install ANY driver except the garbage that comes from Windows Update. It's absolute BS how they treat customers with their BS support for hardware. Which naturally makes me stay away from AMD APU's by default because I just don't want to risk getting another APU that will have no support at all after 3-4 years. No matter how much I dislike Intel's business practices, at least they provide god damn drivers even for prehistoric iGPUs.
This should be supported by the legacy drivers (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows 7 - 64) since it's 6320G (VLIW5). I'd try installing the driver manually (pick from a list -> have disk-> point to .inf file)

It's NOT supported. I've tried multiple times, even forcing. Nothing works. It's lame as hell and has destroyed all and any confidence in APU products because from now on I cannot be ever sure that APU I'll buy will be supported by the drivers after few years. If they have problems maintaining drivers, then don't release so many bloody versions of essentially same things for few $ difference. Logic.

And while I don't play games on it anymore since it's too weak, updated drivers are a necessity for properly functioning hardware acceleration of Youtube videos and acceleration of webpages. Because when HW acceleration works, this little old GPU can decode even 4K @ 30fps. Without HW support, 1.6 GHz Dual Core cannot smoothy decode 480p Youtube video in software mode. Which is why I'm ranting about it so much.

Fix your driver shit AMD or people won't buy your hyped APU's.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You have to mod the driver to show support for that GPU. Couple of guides exist for it.

I don't understand why they say HD6000 are supported when they just aren't. Also, why is it up to users to mod drivers where AMD could easily add those 3 lines of text in INF and make the damn thing work out of the box? They lost me as a future customer because of it and I'm proactively warning people from doing the same mistake. Then it's up to AMD to fix this mess they themselves created. But of course, they'll blame it on everyone else but themselves.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I don't understand why they say HD6000 are supported when they just aren't. Also, why is it up to users to mod drivers where AMD could easily add those 3 lines of text in INF and make the damn thing work out of the box? They lost me as a future customer because of it and I'm proactively warning people from doing the same mistake. Then it's up to AMD to fix this mess they themselves created. But of course, they'll blame it on everyone else but themselves.

So you purchased an old low end product and you are upset after 5 years amd doesn't offer a new driver? Get over it.

So you purchased an old low end product and you are upset after 5 years amd doesn't offer a new driver? Get over it.

He manages to bring up this SAME rant in just about every AMD thread, let him throw his hissy fit :laugh:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
He manages to bring up this SAME rant in just about every AMD thread, let him throw his hissy fit :laugh:

You know what here is my answer to his rant. I want him to go buy an Intel Atom D2700, and let me know how it does. Actually try and run a VM on it, man I hope intel enabled 64bit on the chipset for that specific model motherboard. Bitching about AMD's lack of driver support at least it was usable new.

"Run VM on a mobile low end APU". And then he calls me mad. Ok...

You know what's really the maddest part? AMD CCC is constantly bitching there is an update for currently installed drivers. And when I download them it says no supported devices found. That's one of the biggest fuck ups from AMD side. and the fact they mention HD6000 as supported, but this particular HD6000 is somehow not. Because reasons. And they don't mention that anywhere. Their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. Apparently.

And yeah, I'll bitch on every occasion I can so people stay away from APU's, because in the end, you can't even use it for non gaming stuff like browsing and Youtube because someone at AMD decides to cease support on random. I don't expect game profiles or anything fancy. But all browser devs complain drivers for this GPU are buggy as fuck and no one gives a damn about it. It's a freaking DX11 spec'd GPU that was capable of running games quite decently back in its days. And I'm not talking Solitaire, but proper 3D games. Not at 100fps, but it worked. And now it can't even run Youtube smoothly because of buggy drivers that aren't getting updated. Again, because "reasons".

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

You know what's really the maddest part? AMD CCC is constantly bitching there is an update for currently installed drivers. And when I download them it says no supported devices found. That's one of the biggest fuck ups from AMD side. and the fact they mention HD6000 as supported, but this particular HD6000 is somehow not. Because reasons. And they don't mention that anywhere. Their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. Apparently.

And yeah, I'll bitch on every occasion I can so people stay away from APU's, because in the end, you can't even use it for non gaming stuff like browsing and Youtube because someone at AMD decides to cease support on random. I don't expect game profiles or anything fancy. But all browser devs complain drivers for this GPU are buggy as fuck and no one gives a damn about it. It's a freaking DX11 spec'd GPU that was capable of running games quite decently back in its days. And I'm not talking Solitaire, but proper 3D games. Not at 100fps, but it worked. And now it can't even run Youtube smoothly because of buggy drivers that aren't getting updated. Again, because "reasons".

So because you had a bad experience with AMD's bottom of the barrel no one should buy any AMD APU's? Guess what you are wrong. APU's work quite well and when you don't buy garbage product support is fine. What you purchased was a throw away laptop. Stop trying to turn it into something it is not.

Again if you don't like it throw it away and get an Intel Atom D2700 it was released after the E450 and has less support for LITERALLY EVERY PART, but no AMD is in the wrong for selling something low end that is feature packed.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

Sometimes laptop vendors modify the device IDs. Why? My guess would be to save on tech support... make a custom driver that only works with their own device IDs so that newer drivers fail to install and ... voila... they only have to support a single driver release.

I have an old emachines with a Radeon 320m IGP that wasn't compatible with anything but the official emachines driver. I had to mod ATi's oficial mobility drivers for them to install on my laptop.

Even Intel laptops suffer from this, my Lenovo L412 won't let me install newer Intel drivers for the chipset and GPU.

The only laptos with which I haven't got problems installing official drivers are Acer laptops... then again I've only had 2 of them ever so don't quote me on that.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

No driver in the world is going to make that thing fast. My sister has the E350 and it's painful.

They say HD6000 and APU's from G series are supported. Guess what, E-450 sports a HD6320G. It's both of that. WHat's even more weird is the fact that Wrestler is listed within INF but if you want to install drivers, they say it's not for that GPU.

I could always install desktop driver package on it till they've gone to this Crimson nonsense at which point they just dropped it from everything, even from legacy support while still stating it's supported.

No driver in the world is going to make that thing fast. My sister has the E350 and it's painful.

Not true. When drivers weren't broken for browsers, I could smoothly scroll any kind of webpage and view any kind of HD video. Even 4K. It was a proper pocket rocket. Now it's struggling with most webpages and has horrific problems with 1080p60. And there is no way of using older drivers because Windows 10 insists on installing the very latest (broken) drivers.

I have one guy on the case working with Mozilla to fix video playback but that may take some more time. But all this could be solved if AMD stopped breaking their damn drivers and then not releasing updates for them after they break them.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
They say HD6000 and APU's from G series are supported. Guess what, E-450 sports a HD6320G. It's both of that. WHat's even more weird is the fact that Wrestler is listed within INF but if you want to install drivers, they say it's not for that GPU.

I could always install desktop driver package on it till they've gone to this Crimson nonsense at which point they just dropped it from everything, even from legacy support while still stating it's supported.
You're OEM most likely uses a different hardware ID, as has been pointed out in this thread already, which prevents the AMD driver from seeing the GPU. Blame your OEM, not AMD.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
HTPC's are the only use I could imagine I would build an APU machine. We want to see what Zen is, not these..

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
Not true. When drivers weren't broken for browsers, I could smoothly scroll any kind of webpage and view any kind of HD video. Even 4K. It was a proper pocket rocket. Now it's struggling with most webpages and has horrific problems with 1080p60. And there is no way of using older drivers because Windows 10 insists on installing the very latest (broken) drivers.

I have one guy on the case working with Mozilla to fix video playback but that may take some more time. But all this could be solved if AMD stopped breaking their damn drivers and then not releasing updates for them after they break them.
Your posts on AMD APU posts are getting so predictable (It's not even funny anymore) . I had the same problem on an old laptop, googled 'custom drivers' for the make/model...all solved!
You usually have some worthwhile things to say, but on this subject you've become a one-note song...don't be THAT dude, okay? ☺

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10

Dude seriously! You're blabbering about this in EVERY AMD driver thread. This is something that's beyond AMD's (or nVidia's) control . Most OEMs purposefully change the the ID and demand that the ID is not included in the standard driver stacks. That's because they're cheapscates and are too lazy to vet new drivers for compatibility. They don't care about their users and don't want to provide any support after the first 6 months. Every budget laptop from HP, Dell & Toshiba has exactly one and only one driver release. If you're not happy with that, don't buy their shitty laptops, end of story.

Just read the first few lines on the driver support page:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

and later on

AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver.

Another link from Anandtech, hinting at what total shills all the laptop OEMs are:
That’s huge, and if AMD can deliver it will assuage most of our concerns with their hardware/software. Hopefully none of the OEMs get bent out of shape or refuse to allow support, which is a problem we've seen in the past.

Last edited:
Then how have I installed DESKTOP version of driver on it till now? From AMD site, never from the laptop maker site? This isn't Mobility Radeon!

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Then how have I installed DESKTOP version of driver on it till now? From AMD site, never from the laptop maker site? This isn't Mobility Radeon!

Doesn't matter. As long as it's a laptop from a crummy OEM, the above still applies.

System Name Salamander
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.325ghz 1.206v
Motherboard Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooling EK Supremacy Evo | Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS XFlow | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm x 3
Memory Team T-Force Xtreem 2x8GB DDR4 3733 @ 3733mhz c16 1.4v | IF @ 1866mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX-470 RS Single Fan flashed to RX-570 @ stock water-cooled
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 256gb M.2 | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | WD Blue 500GB 2.5" | Toshiba 2TB 2.5"
Display(s) LG 27MP68VQ 27" 1920x1080 75hz IPS Freesync monitor
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 650w
Mouse Steelseries Kana White
Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro N

right on cue XD how long it's been since you started your advocacy? a year now? :p Keep it up mate, any tpu amd driver/apu thread won't be the same without you :D

nme

--

Very strange, I've had 0 problems installing a Crimson 16.1.1 Non-GCN/NIEG ('special' driver for older non-GCN gpus) on some older APUs, including arhaic Llano, so far... Don't wanna sound rude, but maybe you tried installing GCN Crimson instead of non-GCN version?