• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The market its flooded with so many cases!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Not really, but I exclusively look for white cases, which I think there is a serious lack of.

You have a point to a degree, but BitFenix also has some nice cases, and CaseLabs is king.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I had an aluminum case back in the XP era, but it was a fairly thin gauge, so it didn't feel very solid. I really like the new trend of using thick (4mm) aluminum panels on cases like the Phanteks Evolv ATX and mATX cases, and Inwin 909, 904, 805, S-Frame, and H-Frame 2.0, which also feature tempered glass side/front panels. another recent trend that I like a lot. My favorite is the upcoming Evolv ATX Glass, which was supposed to be available in March 2016 (still not available, not shown on Phanteks website).
EvolvTemp.1.jpg

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Since Im one of those that have gone the Lian Li way which have a quality in built that in my opinion is second to none, its hard to find another manufactorer.

Should I name a couple that would be Silverstone, NZXT.

To which I would have to add to your list of quality: Fractal Design.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Radeon HD Graphics
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
*sitting here waiting for NZXT to release a new design*

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
Really, I think I have not seen anything new from them. Then again they seem to have a thing for space style future looking cases.
Though Lian Li yacht one takes the cake.

If I ever do let my Haf X go, it going to be a Case Lab that will replace it.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only

Not full ATX but NZXT did just drop the Manta which is relatively fresh.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Radeon HD Graphics
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
Really, I think I have not seen anything new from them. Then again they seem to have a thing for space style future looking cases.
Though Lian Li yacht one takes the cake.

If I ever do let my Haf X go, it going to be a Case Lab that will replace it.

I'm about to to a build a build with a phantom 820. And yes they do I wish they would go simple like corsair or the h440 again.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
The market was flooded...with a lot of cases that look the same, bearing the same aggressive styling that was (historically) epitomized by Raidmax and Apevia.

However, I think there is presently a lot of diversity coming from major manufacturers in the case market, and it is a good thing. If we take a look at some of the major manufacturers:

Corsair: traditionally solid, more conventional looking cases. They went through a lull with the 750D/450D era where they didn't release much in the way of innovation and relied on profits supposedly brought in by the 750D/350D. But as we can see from Corsair's newest cases (400Q) they seem to be picking up a bit of momentum again with some designs that can really turn heads. In 2014/2015 I think that many will agree with me that their new budget cases were something of a me-too as they sought to implement "novel" features that others like CM had already brought to the table in cases like the N200.

Cooler Master: I think CM might have expected a bit more fanfare to go along with its new Mastercase lineup, but it's something new, for a change. Much of the approval for CM cases comes from the success of (forgive me if I am incorrect) the Storm Stryker, Storm Scout, and 690 series. They have also released some very solid budget products such as the N200, N400 and N600 (Windowed, especially) that have excellent quality at a low price point.

NZXT: prior to the Phantom and (much later) the H440, I highly doubt that many people paid attention to NZXT's products. The H630 was meant to be something of a turning point in their attitudes towards case design. The H440 and S340, however, did make the PSU shroud something that the mainstream builders could also enjoy and opted for a much cleaner aesthetic. I think that despite the success of the Phantom family, NZXT itself has represented something of turning point in modern case design that favors clean lines and colors over flashy edges and LEDs.

Fractal Design: for a long time, people who wanted sound-proofed cases yet couldn't afford/find the likes of Nanoxia would have to opt for FD's cases, and for good reason since they were quite solidly built. However, being an Arc Mini owner myself, I didn't see much potential for Fractal Design beyond the legacy of the Define series, since the Arc Mini seemed like quite the disappointment in terms of FD's traditionally silence-oriented commitment (I know that Arc was an airflow-optimized lineup but it didn't do that very well either). The Node cases make great HTPC/SFF cases, but the Core cases haven't been stellar in the past, and in the present they seem like nothing more than cheapened versions of the already quite affordable Nodes.

The smaller case manufacturers might seem to be contributing to the "flood" of cases but they each bring something that I think is quite unique to the table.

Lian Li: although Lian Li cases are lacking in cable management, they make up for it in consistently good build quality all around. LL has also made some unconventional designs around mATX and mITX such as the tall mITX with a horizontal motherboard orientation and short GPU support (PC-Q33) and the longer PSU-over-motherboard designs that could make good NASes with their drive capacity (PC-Q25). The PC-Q12 seems a bit "inspired" in its layout but it is quite unique in its aesthetics and choice of materials, so I'd say that Lian Li still has quite the role to fill in the modern case market. Young new builders might scratch their heads thinking "why does Lian Li, with its unpainted interiors and lack of cable management, still exist?", but LL's influence should not be underestimated.

In Win: I think that it wouldn't be a controversial statement to brand In Win the champion of tempered glass and responsible for bringing tempered glass cases to the relative mainstream. Others like the S-Frame and D-Frame seem perfectly suited to housing show builds, but not so practical in other applications. The 707 seems like an attempt to bring a solid aluminum front to the mid-range/budget market, but I haven't read any reviews so I cannot comment on the feasibility of that feature.

Silverstone: I might be personally biased towards SS, because their cases (SG05 and SG08) have found a great niche in the art of carry-on PCs that fit in the Pelican 1510 (search PCPartPicker or OCN for examples, or heck my own). However, I have yet to see another manufacturer make cases with solid, _mm thick aluminum front panels like SS does. The prime example of this is the SG08 (10mm) and this other HTPC case that I cannot find for the life of me, probably due to my lack of recent amateur research in the case market. Although they seem to have faded a bit compared to the good ol' days (pre-2010 for them), I applaud them for not attempting to expand into other parts of the market with "me-too designs", and instead sticking to their proven guns. SS proved that the thick front aluminum panel is perfect for HTPC applications where you only get to see the gorgeous front of the case, so as long as it is sturdy enough, it doesn't matter that the rest of the mostly-invisible case is made from regular SECC steel. Cases like the TJ08 are also unconventional and unique on the market, and you would be hard-pressed to find a very similar alternative.

Limited edition runs such as the Compact Splash and Ncase M1: I think that this is what the market is going towards in recent years. Small companies and individuals feel more confident in bringing their designs forward, which are in turn well-received as being unique and high-quality. It's too bad that both of these examples are currently out of production, their 5 minutes of fame being over, but others such as the DAN A4 are yet to come, proving that small cases from small companies in small production runs are not just a 2014 thing.

Caselabs: as much as the big manufacturers tout their supposedly better "quality", there's really nothing that can rival Caselabs. And as some have shown, as long as you have the requisite $$$$$$$$$$ for a CL case, you can use it for air-cooled builds that are just as effective and gorgeous. And while Caselabs is extremely niche due to the sheer sizes and prices of its cases, there's no denying that it "inspired" the horizontal ITX motherboard fad last year (I'll refrain from calling TT any rude names). It was sad that they decided to discontinue the S3 as it was undoubtedly the more reasonably sized of the Mercury lineup, but the X2M taking its place is quite the looker as well.

I saved TT for last because I think TT's rather subpar past behaviour has something to do with the issue at hand. I don't have an issue with TT presently, because I think they know now that any such behaviour will be frowned on, and social media means that they might not exactly be able to keep it under wraps like they might wish to in such a situation.

Thermaltake: TT has brought a lot of great products in just about every branch of the PC market from air cooling to keyboards and mice to cases. However, some of you might be familiar with TT's row with Caselabs over the "stealing" (Fractal Design was involved too). It was due to the extraordinary influence that the Mercury S8 had on the case market with its rather innovative motherboard placement (something that really wasn't that new, considering that test benches in such orientation had been around for a long time), which resulted in TT's rather similar case design. While I don't agree that CL should be so up in arms about the influence that its cases have, I did see the issue as a classic "big company makes small company back down and be humiliated" as it was CL that had to apologize to TT for accusing Thermaltake of "stealing". I think that the inspiration is plain to see, and there was no reason for Thermaltake to pretend that it was not inspired by equally successful and innovative fellow companies in the market. FD was involved because the Suppressor series of cases are very very similar to the Define cases that Fractal Design makes. Along with a dozen other designs including the Apogee XL from Swiftech, these designs raised some controversy.

But the point I'm trying to make is that all this "me-too"ing over case designs might appear to give us more choice, but partially is responsible for this "flood" of cases. There was nothing CL or any of us could have done, or rather, should have done about the ensuing success of TT's Core lineup, quite obviously and blatantly inspired by the Mercury series of cases. After all, hardly anyone can afford an S5 or S8, but their Core equivalent is much more affordable, albeit at the tradeoff of a lot of build quality. But cases like the Suppressor lineup have clearly not made much of a splash with respect to the initial introduction and legacy of the Define lineup, because they do little else to set themselves apart from FD's offering, making themselves something of a "me-too" product line. The Define Rx cases are not unaffordable like the Mercury S8. TT has shown in the past that they are clearly capable of coming up with great designs (I mean, try finding a competitor to the little TT mascots that peche has :D), so they should stick to innovating as it benefits us all in the end. By that former logic, Silverstone should have copied all of Lian Li's designs and made their relatively "little-known" designs more well-known during SS's expansion years. Instead, they both have proven to have unique things on offer and they now serve different market niches.

I'd also like to point to the Corsair HG10 and NZXT G10 as an example. The G10 came first, and the HG10 came next, and they are both GPU water-cooling brackets; however, the HG10 offered something that the G10 couldn't: the ability to mount a stock blower fan onto the bracket to help with VRM cooling. Of course, this didn't work well with the VRMs burning themselves up under the HG10, but the whole process was a good idea of "inspiration" rather than "imitation". Now, EVGA has been coming out with its own take on GPU watercooling with its watercooled editions of the 980 Ti for example, and it could even be argued that AMD harnessed the idea for its Fiji family. Copying? I think not, TT.

But fortunately I feel like that time is largely behind us. It still remains to be seen, obviously, with this year's offerings, whether these companies have truly cast aside the copycat game in favor of unique innovation, but I think that this is a great time to be building, simply because all these different companies, big and small, all have something different to offer to the builder at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I can't find many I like. No holes on the top. No buttons or ports on the top. My wife stacks books, papers or her purse on the top of the computer. It needs to be nice and flat and if something spills on the top of the computer (coffee) it needs to keep everything out. I am not ready to give up optical drives yet, so all the smooth front cases are out. I've never liked door fronted cases, I don't like to open a door to get to the optical drives. Metal needs to be strong, its ok if it is a heavy case. Good high quality On/Off button. Plain boring case, with no windows, lights, or odd shapes. Something that would look appropriate in an office environment.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Love my Inwin D frame Mini, Thought its not a mini any more. I drilled out the motherboard tray to accept a bigger mother board, even though my drilling wasn't perfect it ROCKS!

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
brilliant post

I thought I was a bit of a case geek...thank you for posting what I didn't have patience, eloquence nor knowledge to post.
*edit* How about Bitfenix? Do you have any experience with their cases?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
So many cases and yet so much room for improvement.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
I thought I was a bit of a case geek...thank you for posting what I didn't have patience, eloquence nor knowledge to post.
*edit* How about Bitfenix? Do you have any experience with their cases?

Heh :p just wanted to share that's all

Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience with Bitfenix. They have some truly interesting designs; however, build quality has never been their strong suit. I know this to be the case up to cases like the Prodigy, Shinobi and Phenom families. The Pandora and Aegis are more recent products from Bitfenix and I hope they have upped their game when it comes to build quality.

On a different note, I am thankful that others in the industry had the sense not follow in Bitfenix's footsteps after seeing the Prodigy and Phenom (not the M variants of either case, which house mATX motherboards). Those cases are massive, still flaunt lots and lots of plastic, and shame on anyone who dares label them "Small Form Factor" enclosures (as many have in years past). The Caselabs Mercury S3 had tremendous amounts of volume for a mini-ITX case, but also had room for some absolutely unparalleled watercooling and aircooling potential. The Prodigy has nothing save for the capability to accommodate behemoth air coolers. People build mini-ITX to cut down on footprint, not to expand it; thank god the Prodigy did not start a real trend.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
Heh :p just wanted to share that's all

Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience with Bitfenix. They have some truly interesting designs; however, build quality has never been their strong suit. I know this to be the case up to cases like the Prodigy, Shinobi and Phenom families. The Pandora and Aegis are more recent products from Bitfenix and I hope they have upped their game when it comes to build quality.

On a different note, I am thankful that others in the industry had the sense not follow in Bitfenix's footsteps after seeing the Prodigy and Phenom (not the M variants of either case, which house mATX motherboards). Those cases are massive, still flaunt lots and lots of plastic, and shame on anyone who dares label them "Small Form Factor" enclosures (as many have in years past). The Caselabs Mercury S3 had tremendous amounts of volume for a mini-ITX case, but also had room for some absolutely unparalleled watercooling and aircooling potential. The Prodigy has nothing save for the capability to accommodate behemoth air coolers. People build mini-ITX to cut down on footprint, not to expand it; thank god the Prodigy did not start a real trend.
I have a Prodigy M, rigged up for server duty. I needed a case that had decent airflow (I'm not really in to watercooling...yet), room for 4 HDDs and wouldn't make my GF scream at me.
I have no issues about the build quality, I've heard it was improved on the M, and space was not an issue (had to be placed in the living room).
I like the Prodigy, but I completely agree that it's not an efficient design!

Processor Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 Ghz/ 4790K (4.3Ghz but now @ STOCK)
Motherboard Cheap Biostar TA890FXE/ GA-B85N Phoenix-WIFI
Cooling Corsair H50/ Corsair H80i
Memory G. Skill Ripjaws 16gigs/ 16gigs of Ballistic Tracers
Video Card(s) HIS 6950 unlocked to 6970/ EVGA GTX 970 FTW
Storage 2 Corsair Force 80gigs SSD Raid 0(OS)*1.5TB Seagate 7200.11(Backup/Data)/ Samsung 850 EVO 500G mSATA
Display(s) 28 inch LG Flatron LCD/ 144hz Asus VG248 & LG 34UM57P Ultrawide
Case 8 dollar case I got from Frys/ INWIN 901 (mITX)
Audio Device(s) Onboard/ Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX850W/ Cooler Master V700 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Taipan (Battlefield 4 Edition)
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Battlefield 4 Edition)
Software W7 Ultimate/ Windows 10 Pro
Inwin for the win.