• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Debating multi gpu? Just do it!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Personally I think the power / heat argument is mute, there's too many variables that could mean they're better or worse off in single or multi, so how's about we just list the games that work, those that don't....

This. Here.

You buy a gaming PC to play games. You go for a very slight (10%-15% at the most) cost advantage on a 600 dollar GPU investment total. Half of that investment drops dead in the very thing it is supposed to do:

play games.

The point is that when one title doesn't work, and then another, every time you are paying back on that 10% you earned at the start. And then, you want to sell your GPU's but they're mid ranged and about two years old, so hey, 100-150 bucks maybe for the set? Instead you could also sell off a 980ti for about 300+... OR decide it's time to buy a second one, second hand, for a similar amount and truly get serious about horsepower - in which time has passed, and support for that card has been finalized too, all optimisations implemented and no early adopter nonsense.

You see the point?

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Most benchmarks would argue that fact:

Read more: http://wccftech.com/multi-gpu-nvidia-sli-amd-crossfire-performance-value-comparison/#ixzz46JVko9Dp

And on a side note: SLI works SOMETIMES and Crossfire works SOMETIMES to imply that one works more than the other is fallible at best. And when it does work, most of the time it is a draw. I neglect to understand why you would want this to somehow turn into an AMD vs Nvidia thread...There are plenty of those around already.

LOL, only 9 games, and a syn bench, and and article by WCCF? That's not exactly enough to counter all the mass amount of users that say otherwise. I mean seriously, everyone knows benches can be skewed.

And here's another thing, pretty much EVERY Crossfire user I've seen trying to refute that SLI works better, uses mostly non current games as examples.

If those 4 videos I showed you of current titles working in SLI that Crossfire can't yet handle doesn't mean anything to you, I have nothing further to say to you, because you're in denial.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i am still trying to figure out why i aint getting any of these sli problems that some suggest are the norm.. :)

or maybe more to the point why some folks are getting problems and i aint.. there has to be some rational explanation.. least i think there has.. :)

trog

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
LOL, only 9 games, and a syn bench, and and article by WCCF? That's not exactly enough to counter all the mass amount of users that say otherwise. I mean seriously, everyone knows benches can be skewed.

And here's another thing, pretty much EVERY Crossfire user I've seen trying to refute that SLI works better, uses mostly non current games as examples.

If those 4 videos I showed you of current titles working in SLI that Crossfire can't yet handle doesn't mean anything to you, I have nothing further to say to you, because you're in denial.

Wasn't trying to be rude (while obviously you are), was simply posting a review stating that SLI and Crossfire scaling and performance is debatable at best. For clarity, all of the 4 games you posted are Nvidia sponsored games and ALL of them had substantial SLI problems at launch. But again, I will not turn this thread into an AMD vs Nvidia repeat that some people can't seem to get over.

Believe me when I say that my rig, with or without Crossfire will slice through all of the games you mentioned (even at 3440x1440). I was simply trying to show that BOTH Crossfire and SLI have issues and should be avoided unless the multi-gpu is simply being used for fun and isn't being relied upon for solid and stable framerates. I apologize I offended you in such a way, and hope that one day you will have an SLI or Crossfire system and be able to speak from personal experience as most of us here are trying to do to help give guidance. Repeating what has been read and heard isn't the voice of experience, over a decade of using multi-gpu systems is. :toast:

JAT

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
i am still trying to figure out why i aint getting any of these sli problems that some suggest are the norm.. :)

or maybe more to the point why some folks are getting problems and i aint.. there has to be some rational explanation.. least i think there has.. :)

trog

Do you buy the AAA games on launch?

System Name Betty
Processor i7-5930K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99 PRO. USB 3.1
Cooling Corsair H110i GTX AIO
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac AMPED EXTREME GTX 980TI X2
Storage Intel 250GB SSD/KINGSTON 500GB SSD
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX1200i
Software Windows 10
SLI 980TIs here. 4k or 2k no issues. Of course you run into that occasional driver issue/no SLI support but then you can just disable one card and you are good to go. Better to have the extra horsepower and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it I say.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wasn't trying to be rude (while obviously you are), was simply posting a review stating that SLI and Crossfire scaling and performance is debatable at best. For clarity, all of the 4 games you posted are Nvidia sponsored games and ALL of them had substantial SLI problems at launch. But again, I will not turn this thread into an AMD vs Nvidia repeat that some people can't seem to get over.

Believe me when I say that my rig, with or without Crossfire will slice through all of the games you mentioned (even at 3440x1440). I was simply trying to show that BOTH Crossfire and SLI have issues and should be avoided unless the multi-gpu is simply being used for fun and isn't being relied upon for solid and stable framerates. I apologize I offended you in such a way, and hope that one day you will have an SLI or Crossfire system and be able to speak from personal experience as most of us here are trying to do to help give guidance. Repeating what has been read and heard isn't the voice of experience, over a decade of using multi-gpu systems is. :toast:

JAT

Note: every single game has substantial problems at launch, be they Crossfire, SLI, driver support as a whole, day zero game bugs, day one patches that break driver bits, need I go on? The fact remains that when there is an official SLI profile for a game, it also works and it scales decently. With Crossfire, the problems tend to return from time to time. Crossfire support has improved over the recent past, but still needs work. SLI has an overall much bigger library of bits and fixes to it, and supports a longer list of games. We can debate this, but it is a fact that is supported by a far greater investment in support from Nvidia than what AMD puts into it.

That doesn't change a thing however about the fact that even SLI does not work in every game or that certain games may *never* see support for it even though there are lots of people asking for it. Thát is the bottom line of the single/dual GPU debate for me - if you ever come across that one game that will never get support, you're stuck with that single, mid ranged GPU.

BTW that WCCF article actually focuses entirely on the Crossfire scaling differences of the Fury X versus the rest, not on the amounts of games that do or don't have support. Yet it fails to connect the dots. Fury X is the only GPU today with HBM and we all know Crossfire/SLI needs to mirror the VRAM... gosh I wonder what's happening here.

Running and experimenting with multi GPU setups for almost a decade now. Whatever Dave said in the first page - its all true.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
SLI 980TIs here. 4k or 2k no issues. Of course you run into that occasional driver issue/no SLI support but then you can just disable one card and you are good to go. Better to have the extra horsepower and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it I say.

i think that has to be the secret.. not be totally dependant on CF or SLI support.. those that are will have problems because it aint always there as maybe it should be..

i see adding an extra card as being a no brainer cost effective upgrade path.. but the single card performance has to be there to start with..

i was happy with my pair of 970 cards playing games at 1080 on a 144 hrz monitor.. performance to spare.. maybe i would not be so happy at 1440 or 4 K..

i am happy with my pair of 980 TI cards at 1440 on a 144 hrz monitor.. performance to spare.. i dont play games at 4K..

starting off with a good performance single card and then somewhere down the line adding another one as and when required works well.. using a pair of poor performance cards that need to be at their best all the time dosnt work so well.. end of story..

trog

ps.. at 4K i would have issues.. i would be struggling to maintain frame rates at the level i am used to.. my performance to spare factor would not be there.. f-ck 4K.. he he

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
...all of the 4 games you posted are Nvidia sponsored games and ALL of them had substantial SLI problems at launch...

Well it's not long after launch for some of them, and SLI is now working, whereas Crossfire isn't. This isn't an argument of whom sponsors more games though, it's about whom supports them better with multi GPU drivers. The fact that Nvidia wins on both, is secondary.

Endorsement usually means at best 2-3 weeks lead time on driver tweaking, compared to what often ends up being MONTHS on proper multi GPU support. So whom gets endorsement is really insignificant compared to how well the driver team time is spent post release, and there Nvidia wins most of the time.

For that matter, my current GPU, a 7970 was bought back when AMD was sponsoring a lot of good games, and that was a big part of their success in hardware sales. They were also cranking out a lot of good drivers, despite ho hum Crossfire support. So your sponsorship angle isn't really a valid excuse for AMD, because they squander that time recklessly.

More current sponsorship is yet another reason SLI is more likely to, and DOES more often work much sooner than Crossfire, though, because unlike AMD, Nvidia make good use of their time with devs. And my saying you're being in denial of things like that is not "rude", it's just an observation, which you just further validated.

Done talking to you about this. I don't like having to repeatedly point out the obvious, esp when called "rude" for it. As Vayra verified, Nvidia put FAR more into SLI than AMD do Crossfire, and everyone KNOWS they can more easily afford to.

AMD are FAR behind Nvidia mainly because they make a lot of stupid business decisions. When it comes to mulit GPU though, it's also because they've been at it longer than AMD, and it obviously shows, to anyone that can see the plain facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Software Windows 10 Pro
Again, I will not turn this into an AMD vs NV thread, but would love to continue this through PM, because we have seen repeatedly that sponsorship by Nvidia can cause substantial problems with the competitor's architecture by design.

JAT

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Again, I will not turn this into an AMD vs NV thread, but would love to continue this through PM, because we have seen repeatedly that sponsorship by Nvidia can cause substantial problems with the competitor's architecture by design.

JAT
And that doesn't happen with amd????

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Software Windows 10 Pro
And that doesn't happen with amd????
That happens with both. My point here is that BOTH companies do these things, just like he stated that when AMD was sponsoring games Crossfire was working perfectly well at launch. I concur AMD has made bad decisions, and does not have remotely the R&D budget that NV has.

This has spun out of control. The point of the matter was that the OP asked about multi-gpu and was it worth it...that question was being answered when all of the sudden it has to turn into AMD vs NV...BOTH have substantial issues and BOTH aren't worth it.

I'm just sick of AMD vs NV threads and neglect to understand why someone in EVERY thread has to turn it into one. Especially when AMD and NV users were both reciting the problems with both, when all of the sudden a quote such as "Those in the know go Nvidia for multi GPU setups." is thrown in. Necessary, definitely not, especially from someone not even running a multi-GPU setup, just reciting information that was read or heard. I'm pretty sure OP was asking for first hand experience, which he was getting in droves.

JAT

Last edited:
System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I ran SLI for awhile. Raw performance was great, the issues associated with it weren't. Even when games worked fine there were ever present annoyances. I doubt I'm ever going back. I have a friend who has been on SLI for a few generations now and he can't wait to drop it for a single card. Both of us have as a result been annoyed by Nvidia's insistence on releasing top tier cards later. With fast and high res displays we need that single card performance now.

That's what I normally see with complaints on multi card setups; people who have done it and decided "never again." Some people have a higher tolerance for bullshit, some play a fortunate selection of games that work perfectly, some have no choice because of their display, but the issues I've seen on these setups would prevent me from recommending it to most people.

System Name Pc-1
Processor 5820k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asrock X99 extreme 4
Cooling Custom Loop for cpu 240mm rad + 120mm rad 3x corsair Sp120 led EK-Supremacy Cpu Block
Memory 16Gb Crucial 2133@ 2700 cl14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 980Ti
Storage 2x Ocz Arc 100 240Gb SSD 1x os drive 1x games , 2 x 3Tb Seagates In Raid 0
Display(s) Acer Predator X34
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Fsp 1200w Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Win 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5518094 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5517745 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5501587
i have to admit the last time i used crossfire was with amd iv never tried sli, iv have had crossfire 6970s,7970s,280xs,290s,290xs i did notice a huge diff with the 290s not needing the crossfire strap, had almost zero issues in games as far as stutter or crossfire not working ,not including ark survival online or spin tires lol, since the 290s anyway,
the 6970s and 7970s and 280xs suffered from micro stutter and only worked proper in 40% of games give or take, but used shitloads more power,and generated lots more heat nun the less, iv since gone from 2x290xs in crossfire to 1 single 980ti and haven't looked back , no issues less heat, can actually afford to game for more than a few hours at a time without the wall plug or case melting lol, so i do think crossfire has got alot better since the 290s but its still a finicky beast, and with how lazy game developers are these days its just less hassle to run a single card hands down

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
...just like he stated that when AMD was sponsoring games Crossfire was working perfectly well at launch.

I did SO not say that, reread my post. I said they had a lot of good drivers in general at that time, DESPITE Crossfire in general not working so well. I also said AMD do a MUCH worse job at making use of their time with devs when they sponsor games, which I tend to think is probably why so many devs ask Nvidia instead now. It's clearly not just due to the success of Maxwell.

I see no point of discussing it via PM, if you can't even follow or accurately quote what's being said here.

And for the record I am not pro or con AMD or Nvidia, and am currently on a 7970. I'm also waiting a LONG time before my core upgrade to see what Zen will be like. If anything my anger at AMD is that they've blown many chances to better compete in the industry, and we seriously NEED that completion back.

Just don't take what you hear so defensively for yourself for being a Crossfire user, or for AMD. It's not like we all WANT them to fail, hell no.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
AMD vs Nvidia.. single graphics cards vs SLI or CF..

this thread is full of dogmatically entrenched bullshit from both sides on both issues.. the sides have been chosen and nether side is open to genuine discussion.. the entire thread has been pointless from beginning to end.. he he

trog

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Software Windows 10 Pro

For that matter, my current GPU, a 7970 was bought back when AMD was sponsoring a lot of good games, and that was a big part of their success in hardware sales. They were also cranking out a lot of good drivers, despite ho hum Crossfire support. So your sponsorship angle isn't really a valid excuse for AMD, because they squander that time recklessly.

I apologize, I misinterpreted what was said, though the implication is definitely there. Hence the "pretty much EVERY Crossfire user I've seen trying to refute that SLI works better, uses mostly non current games as examples" because at the time of those games, AMD was truly more efficient than Crossfire, especially in AMD sponsored games. Also, I am hard pressed to think of an AMD sponsored game that did not support Crossfire at launch... but I digress nonetheless.

And I might be misinformed, but from what I understand developers rarely approach AMD or NV for sponsorship...AMD or NV approach developers, usually with providing substantial revenue in exchange for advertising and the request or demand to put in proprietary tech to make the game run better on their hardware, especially when the games are launching at the beginning of a product cycle. Hence why sponsorship usually leads to "optimization" of one over the other. I personally loathe sponsorship in games and all forms of proprietary tech when an open source option is available, but that is just me.

No offense was taken, and I personally enjoy a debate such as this! Practicing real estate law has instilled a vigorous debate mentality in me. :toast:

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I apologize, I misinterpreted what was said
No need for an apology, I was just clarifying.

This however...
AMD was truly more efficient than Crossfire...

...is evidence the conversation has drawn on too long I think. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
the conversation has drawn on too long I think. ;)

Pretty much. There is no denying that multi-GPU can present problems that running a single VGA does not. If you don't mind dealing with the problems, then SLI/Crossfire is OK, but otherwise, if you like to play games in the most hassle-free way, then single GPU is the master of all.

I personally never said one brand was better than the other, as both are prone to issues at times.