• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Griffin pixelated

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Intel has been creating waves with the new Centrino Pro/Duo plattform (although they dropped the "plattform" part) and AMD is trying to stay in the news. They have now shown off the upcoming Griffin CPU at the Microprocessor Forum 2007. The CPU itself is about as big as a compact flash card. I will come in combination with the RS780 Chipset, which features up to 14 USB 2.0 port & 6 SATA ports. Intel's Robson (or Turbo Memory) will be taken on by AMD's Hypermemory offering. There will be support for HDMI and DisplayPort as well. All this should be available in mid 2008.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
AMD might finally have something to compete with Intel on in mobile power savings and processing power.

"In combination with the RS780 chipset", so, does that mean it's on-board, or are they still testing that? 'Cos I remember reading about them having made a preliminary CPU+GPU, so integrating a chipset wouldn't be much harder I guess.
If it's on board, that'd explain the small chip, bottom left corner, and it would definately beat Intel in features at the very least (and possibly power consumption, when taking the additional chip into account). Chipset, memory controller, and CPU in one, Intel eat yer heart out.

Processor Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6Ghz
Motherboard BioStar TForce4 SLI (939)
Cooling Stock Opteron Heatpipe Cooler
Memory 4x512 Crucial BalistiX, @ DDR520, 2.5-3-3-8
Video Card(s) ATI, x1900 AIW (600/620)
Storage 80GB SATA2, 320GB eSATA2
Display(s) AGM 19" Widescreen LCD, 4ms
Case Aspire X-Dreamer (Black)
Audio Device(s) Auzentech: X-Meridan (Best Soundcard Ever)
Power Supply Rosewill 550W 2x12V
Software XP Professional X64 & Ubuntu 7.10 x86
"In combination with the RS780 chipset", so, does that mean it's on-board, or are they still testing that? 'Cos I remember reading about them having made a preliminary CPU+GPU, so integrating a chipset wouldn't be much harder I guess.
If it's on board, that'd explain the small chip, bottom left corner, and it would definately beat Intel in features at the very least (and possibly power consumption, when taking the additional chip into account). Chipset, memory controller, and CPU in one, Intel eat yer heart out.

Um not quite man... and it wouldn't explain that small chip. AMD likes to integrate everything into the same die. i.e. the big center thing.

I think we have at least another year before an all-in-one package is made.

wouldn't explain that small chip. AMD likes to integrate everything into the same die.

Yeah, it makes more sense to integrate, in terms of cutting wafers used, and in turn cuting costs, but I was thinking that if they had it out of the main die for the CPU, they could avoid heat troubles, although then again, the heat would spread through HSF, and would probably accumulate anyhow, leading to heat problems, so... badly thought out on my part.

And:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061119-8250.html
Seems that's not really AMD's plan anyhow, they want GPU only, integrated into the CPU. Northbridge will still be seperate.
I think that's how AMD will want to do it. I don't think the diagram is specific for AMD, though I skimmed a bit (read it a while back already too, but forgot some details).