• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G.Skill Trident Z First to Achieve DDR4-5000 - A Frequency Record

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd., the world's leading manufacturer of extreme performance memory and gaming peripherals, announces the world's first DDR4 memory overclocking record to break past the mind-blowing 5GHz barrier, achieved with G.SKILL Trident Z Series DDR4 memory engineered with Samsung ICs and the MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC motherboard. With this achievement in the official record books, the world's top 7 memory frequency records are now dominated by G.SKILL memory.

Surpassing the 5GHz frequency speed barrier had been the ultimate aspiration of the memory overclocking community since the last year's launch of the Intel Skylake platform. This historic milestone is finally succeeded today by the renowned Taiwanese overclocking legend, Toppc, under liquid nitrogen cooling. "We are extremely excited to achieve this great milestone together with Samsung components and MSI motherboard," says Tequila Huang, Corporate Vice President and Director of R&D, G.SKILL International. "We will continually push hardware performance to the limits and provide enthusiasts with even more advanced products."

Validated by both HWBOT and CPU-Z, this record currently ranks as the world's #1 fastest memory speed record on HWBOT. For more information, please refer to the following links:
View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor FX 8320
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
Cooling Enermax TCS-T40-W
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Video Card(s) Radeon HD5750
Storage Crucial MX200 250GB
Display(s) BenQ 19"
Case Enermax Ostrog White
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Enermax Revolution XT 530 Gold
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
With these timing 31-31-31-63-2 (TCAS-TRC-TRP-Tras-TCR) is only pure Overclock. I don't see the usefulness. Anyway, congratulations.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
I bet they must be handpicking those memory ICs :)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
What's the point? Isn't it easier and cheaper to just buy X99 and stick some mediocre RAM in it and still get bigger bandwidth instead of buying Z170 and spending a fortune on RAM that needs to be further overclocked? This most likely isn't cheap RAM that comes with clocks of 2800MHz when stock... This has to be an already stupendously fast RAM from the start. And those cost more than entire X99 platform for the most part...

With these timing 31-31-31-63-2 (TCAS-TRC-TRP-Tras-TCR) is only pure Overclock. I don't see the usefulness. Anyway, congratulations.
Not honestly any different than people who OC a quad/hex core CPU with only one core enabled. Looks nice and the e-peen bragging goes on for days but not really important in the larger scheme of things. :p

It's extreme overclocking. Much like Drag racing. It is not for everyday use, nobody claimed it was. It's a milestone as this is far beyond anyone thought possible when DDR4 first came around.
Much like we will celebrate the first ever flat 3second 1/4 mile run at a drag strip.
Those cars are not practical in any way, but we appreciate the engineering effort and what it took to get there.

why so much hate for an achievement?

"says Tequila Huang [Over], Corporate Vice President and Director of R&D"

:D

Extreme overclocking push technologies to their limits, and so help to find conception issues in the architectures of CPU/GPU.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It's extreme overclocking. Much like Drag racing. It is not for everyday use, nobody claimed it was. It's a milestone as this is far beyond anyone thought possible when DDR4 first came around.
Much like we will celebrate the first ever flat 3second 1/4 mile run at a drag strip.
Those cars are not practical in any way, but we appreciate the engineering effort and what it took to get there.

why so much hate for an achievement?
Because this is TPU. TPU is not a place for extreme overclockers. There are few here that understand it, or benchmarking and how to do it properly.

Alright fair enough. The odd thing is that every single thing they care about, vendors came to produce because of extreme overclockers. Every single one of these vendors, board and VGA ones have an XOC working for them, sometimes more than one. MSI has Toppc and Pepi, GIGABYTE has sofos1990 and HiCookie, EVGA has TiN and Kingpin, Asus has Coolice, Shamino and Elmor, ASRock has Nick Shih, formerly of ANTEC PSUs etc, DFI had Oscar Wu etc... Like someone said above, when these guys and other XOC guys push, all that development ends up in regular "gaming" boards.

Much like MRI was developed for space research, but ended up being used in the healthcare industry and so many other technologies.
KERS came from F1 but ended up in commercial vehicles.
Special and general relativity were not meant for the GPS, yet we came to enjoy those benefits at the forefront of physics research, in our everyday lives.

Too much hate on tech sites sometimes and more times than not comes from ignorance or just not thinking before we type.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Too much hate on tech sites sometimes and more times than not comes from ignorance or just not thinking before we type.
Many posters only want news of actual usable products, not development processes. It doesn't matter what benefits the development has. It's more "can we use it, and can we buy it". Extreme OC is not usable by general populace, and they can't buy it, either, so it's not interesting news. You get similar posts on rumors about unreleased hardware, etc...

The lack of focus on extreme clocking, I feel, is a large part of our success. Our reviews don't focus on OC much, even, just small simple parts of reviews have OC metrics, because anyone with a bit of knowledge knows that OC is very sample-dependent, and hard to replicate for everyone.

Personally, I like that once again this news post shows G.Skill prowess in advanced IC screening, and also that MSI has a place in pushing the limits, with what would be called a "gaming" product. The speeds, having a record, whatever... meh. They'll be broken in due time.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Because this is TPU. TPU is not a place for extreme overclockers. There are few here that understand it, or benchmarking and how to do it properly.

There are some mucking about here. Most however have no clue. They are perfectly happy with their 4790k/6700k and motherboard with RGB lighting.