• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Statement from AMD on the PCI-Express Overcurrent Issue

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Why is this an issue? Both the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 950 both drew significantly more than 75W from the PCI bus! In short bursts, there is absolutely no problem with brief power spikes. Shitty deal if you have an older/cheap mobo and this is an issue; Seriously, quality motherboards are dirt cheap!

:toast:

None of those breaks the average spec of 75W (actually, for 12V its even less), while RX 480 breaks average spec by significant amount. Its not short bursts only. Huge difference.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Honestly I think Nvidia pushed AMD with their new gpu's.
The fact that you can barely OC the RX480 makes me believe AMD quickly issued as high a clock out of the box as possible to make the cards look good in the performance section, but that originally they were not meant to run this high.
I guess its best to get a custom designed RX480 from a partner that indeed has an 8pin connector and more cooling capability.

6pin was used just because AMD targets OEMs and they don't usually sell PCs with high end PSUs. So, they could put a cheap PSU into a PC with Polaris.

The custom ones don't need to take this into consideration so they will clock very high (rumors say about +1400 MHz which will reach or even surpass stock 980).

None of those breaks the average spec of 75W (actually, for 12V its even less), while RX 480 breaks average spec by significant amount. Its not short bursts only. Huge difference.

Driver fixable thing for those who don't know how to do it themselves, -10% in power settings for the current driver for those who want to do that now. And not any decrease in performance also. :toast:

As for the custom 480s, they will have alternative BIOS as usual and won't depend on default driver settings as usual.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
Driver fixable thing for those who don't know how to do it themselves, -10% in power settings for the current driver for those who want to do that now. And not any decrease in performance also. :toast:
You think they are wasting power for no reason? -10% will change performance, or otherwise AMD would have done it already.

There is a more technical solution, which does not change power draw or performance but that is still under investigation. Feasibility of that depends whether PCI-E bus and 6-pin are connected to parallel as input to all VREGs or they supply different parts of the VREGs.

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit

well , logic suggests that what you say can not be accurate. If there is no decrease when you reduce the power, then why not -20%, or even -50% then?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Reading AMD's statement cynically, one could say that they deliberately released the cards like this so they'd look good/better in the benchmarks, because once the power use is brought down the performance is gonna be significantly lower and make their value for money much lower. Be interesting to see exactly how much the performance hit will be.

@W1zzard are we gonna see a quick retest review with a handful of benchmarks with the revised driver to check this out?

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
If AIB vendors are fixing the "out of spec PCIe limits" with an 8-pin or possibly 8 + 6-pin to reduce excessive power draw from the PCIe slot, then AMD shouldn't even come up with a statement that it will release a driver fix. Limiting the card's power even by a little affects a lot of aspect. @HD64G why not u bench your VGA before limiting it & then u throw a 10% reduction to it via tuning software & then run the same test again? We wanna see if limiting power does not reduce the card's performance, as per what you claimed.

Reading AMD's statement cynically, one could say that they deliberately released the cards like this so they'd look good/better in the benchmarks, because once the power use is brought down the performance is gonna be significantly lower and make their value for money much lower. Be interesting to see exactly how much the performance hit will be.

@W1zzard are we gonna see a quick retest review with a handful of benchmarks with the revised driver to check this out?

Except people actually report higher performance when restricting its power...

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
Reducing operating voltage MAY increase performance in thermally limited situations. Decreasing total power limit without changing anything is going to have opposite effect.
Reducing operating voltage MAY work on some GPUs, but due to obvious negative effect on stability (there is a reason why they put the VID it has now) it is too risky to do on all cards.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm wondering why no one thought to consider that the BIOS might be the problem, and that AMD simply gave all cards a BIOS that allowed maximum power draw, over-stepping the driver-based tools to increase that. I found it interesting that power draw was high, and no OC was possible using the driver-based tools to give the GPU more power, and when you put those two together, and then consider the ASUS and MSI GPUs recently reviewed, you get a potential BIOS problem.

Perhaps AMD gave the card a BIOS that allowed it to exceed PCIe spec because it wanted it to be reviewed in the best light, and knew reviewers sometimes do not investigate OC? Given how their clocks are "managed" compared to NVidia's Turbo, this actually seems like the most reasonable explanation for what happened. Not every site has the capability to accurately measure power consumption for PCIe devices, so many sites wouldn't even be able to test such an issue.

Alex Rubio

Hahaha.... Dead on arrival... People have more and more reason to wait and buy the 1060 now...
Get outta here you fanboy!
As if the gtx 970 or 960 is clean. this is only when you over clock. Try to do some research before commenting you sound like a idiot.
This is just some redit fanboy making a big deal of nothing. I didn't hear a cry when Nvidia came out with the 960 or 970.

Alex Rubio

Gotta do a bit more research.
Here a video I found to be correct.

Maddox

Get outta here you fanboy!
As if the gtx 970 or 960 is clean. this is only when you over clock. Try to do some research before commenting you sound like a idiot.
This is just some redit fanboy making a big deal of nothing. I didn't hear a cry when Nvidia came out with the 960 or 970.

Well, for whatever it's worth, I have a habit of checking out user benchmark whenever new hardware is launched, just to check out the performance and popularity of CPU's and GPU's.

Around midnight of the launch day, going into July 30th, market share ranked 74th. Today it is tied with the R9 290 at 17th and obviously going up. I'm betting it'll -- in terms of sales -- trade blows with the GTX 1070 from here on out and probably slightly surpass it at some point once the 4GB versions hit the market.

Not exactly DOA by my reckoning.

I just think Nvidia fanboys (who are up there with Apple and Nintendo, imo) were spring loaded to fire at any sudden movement after the 970 fiasco.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That makes no sense. Perhaps there's something else going on here? Without details one can't say what the true situation is, but simply lowering power consumption isn't gonna increase performance.

Reducing operating voltage MAY increase performance in thermally limited situations. Decreasing total power limit without changing anything is going to have opposite effect.
Reducing operating voltage MAY work on some GPUs, but due to obvious negative effect on stability (there is a reason why they put the VID it has now) it is too risky to do on all cards.
This sounds more plausible.

If it's thermal throttling, it can throttle more than it does if it's power limited... this one would probably depend on quality of case cooling...

Daiwa Zou

Lol. "RIP AMD" and here you are referencing one of the most biased source on seekingalpha.com to prove your point. Not sure if you know Hibben is known for his anti-AMD mentality.

This says a lot about how biased you are as well.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I've heard cases where the cards are power throttling on the factory overclock, some are doing it on stock also, so increasing the power limit increases the cards performance because its drawing too much power. Some other lower binned ones are running hotter and requiring undervolt or the power limit to be dropped to reduce temps and that increases performance since it won't thermal throttle down the boost clock, its pretty confusing really.

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
If you have a junky motherboard, maybe, but I doubt any mainstream brands don't build in A LITTLE reserve.

I think it has to do more with the connector limitation of the little pins in the slot.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Why is this an issue? Both the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 950 both drew significantly more than 75W from the PCI bus! In short bursts, there is absolutely no problem with brief power spikes. Shitty deal if you have an older/cheap mobo and this is an issue; Seriously, quality motherboards are dirt cheap!

:toast:
When did that happen? My MSI GTX750Ti overclocked to 1300 / 1500 never exceeded 65W mark during stress testing (according to sensor readouts). Under normal conditions it stays below 58W.
GTX950 is a 90W card, so under normal circumstances, the only theoretical way it can overdraw power from PCI-E only if it draws no power from 6-pin connector at all (or if you own one of those newer bus-powered cards from ASUS or EVGA).

When it comes to motherboards, you'll be surprised how many shitty products hit the market nowadays. Just because it's high-end does not mean that it won't break.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
ven the aforementioned Diablotek could handle powering one of these, paired with a latest-gen Skylake CPU, a couple sticks of RAM and some storage. It would all easily fit into a 250W envelope (absolute peak power draw, realistically less than that), which even the worst of the worst PSUs can manage, at least for a while.

That being said, everyone should have the common sense not to skimp on the PSU. No need to go crazy, a nice $30-or-so PSU from a reputable manufacturer should do fine, as @newtekie1 pointed out.

Sure, but like you pointed out, why skimp on the PSU. And if you have a latest-gen skylake, or even a last gen Haswell, or even an Ivy-Bridge, and your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin connector, seriously go buy a new one before upgrading your graphics card!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I think it has to do more with the connector limitation of the little pins in the slot.

No, that can't be it because otherwise connectors to boost the amperes to the slot (as my board has) would make little sense.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Sure, but like you pointed out, why skimp on the PSU. And if you have a latest-gen skylake, or even a last gen Haswell, or even an Ivy-Bridge, and your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin connector, seriously go buy a new one before upgrading your graphics card!
Yea, I mean even the most entry level PSU is $50 bucks comes with both an 8 and 6 pin (EVGA) so I don't see the logic in not having it and instead opting for the 6 pin.

When did that happen? My MSI GTX750Ti overclocked to 1300 / 1500 never exceeded 65W mark during stress testing (according to sensor readouts). Under normal conditions it stays below 58W.
GTX950 is a 90W card, so under normal circumstances, the only theoretical way it can overdraw power from PCI-E only if it draws no power from 6-pin connector at all (or if you own one of those newer bus-powered cards from ASUS or EVGA).

When it comes to motherboards, you'll be surprised how many shitty products hit the market nowadays. Just because it's high-end does not mean that it won't break.
Never checked my 950, but its the 0 power connector from Asus. Would be curious how much it draws under load.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yea, I mean even the most entry level PSU is $50 bucks comes with both an 8 and 6 pin (EVGA) so I don't see the logic in not having it and instead opting for the 6 pin.

Never checked my 950, but its the 0 power connector from Asus. Would be curious how much it draws under load.

Even the $30 430w eVGA has an 8-pin.

And the ASUS gtx950 with no power connector pulls a maximum of 76w from the slot. So they managed to keep it right at the limit.