• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Good card, performance is exactly where I expected it to be (around the GTX 980) but for $200 LESS, going to sell well this 1060 me thinks

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I'm impressed with this card. It basically trashes away anything AMD has right now, while being faster than last generation's 980 GTX. Amazing.
Amazing hyperbole.

Power consumption is the only noticeable part, but OCed perf doesn't impress and performance is rather within "trading blows" region. (with only 7% AMD will likely catch up rather soon, as it happened with 290, driver bump that was released after TPU review promised 3% perf increase)

Oh, and that not even counting things such as: DOOM (Vulkan) AotS DX12 Hitman DX12 Total War: Warhammer DX12 (not part of the review)

Nevertheless, I think AMD should keep RX 480 at about 20-30 Euro lower price, currently ref 480 costs as AIB Palit card (279) in DE, that's simply too much and interesting only if you are after adaptive sync and don't want to pay extra $ for nvidia vendor lock-in.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Amazing hyperbole.

Power consumption is the only noticeable part, but OCed perf doesn't impress and performance is rather within "trading blows" region. (with only 7% AMD will likely catch up rather soon, as it happened with 290, driver bump that was released after TPU review promised 3% perf increase)

Oh, and that not even counting things such as: DOOM (Vulkan) AotS DX12 Hitman DX12 Total War: Warhammer DX12 (not part of the review)

Nevertheless, I think AMD should keep RX 480 at about 20-30 Euro lower price, currently ref 480 costs as AIB Palit card (279) in DE, that's simply too much and interesting only if you are after adaptive sync and don't want to pay extra $ for nvidia vendor lock-in.

Vulkan supported games (4 of them, sort of)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

As for AotS (some other sites have the RX480 ahead by a few fps, so it's swings an roundabouts on that one)

Both are good cards, very good cards. Everyone wins.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10

Does anything in that reviewers guide leak surprise you? If it does you're a couple of transistors short of a Fiji.

And the Vulkan thing? Don't be so naive. Multiple posts about Doom Vulkan (which RX 480 would win) not being present yet Vulkan has the support of 4 games (one of which is more of a synthetic). DX11 is more relevant than Vulkan and it's less important to showcase an API that has got infinitely less traction that DX12.

The whole point is, it's very illuminating that

(A) People got very hyped over RX480 and it delivered the performance AMD said it would, although the stock version is noisy and wasn't as power efficient as everyone was led to believe.
(B) I saw arguably far less hype over the GTX1060 yet it delivers above where a lot of folk thought it would with a better acoustic and better perf/watt. The caveat being, the FE version (which is silly).
(C) The GTX1060 can be bought (at least in the UK) from AIB's for the same price as RX480, with equivalent performance, far better efficiency and so far, excellent acoustics.

So it means lots of AMD supporters need to snipe and whine about it. No Vulkan Doom, No DX12 Hitman (but we do have DX12 RotTR), etc etc. It seems the AMD side never stops moaning even when AMD have delivered the card they said they would and I'm sure the AIB cards will be fantastic.

But still, you moan... non stop. Forever. AMD delivered a great little card (the AIB's will make it what it was meant to be). Nvidia have now delivered a great little card (the AIB's will make it better). There is nothing to moan about. If you don't like TPU reviews - go elsewhere, find a site that suits your bias or better still, find many sites - get an aggregate score and make a valid, empirical choice - that's what I do. Relying on one site for a 100% viewpoint is always foolish. What if you don't play any games in TPU's game list? Go find it elsewhere to make that judgement call. But don't criticise TPU for using the games it's used for ages. Or is @W1zzard supposed to use games that suit the card he's reviewing and change suites all the time?

And FTR, DX12 is buggy. Other sites wont use RoTR in DX12, other sites wont bench A, B or C for similar reasons. Maybe people are too dumb to actually go and do a meta-analysis of reviews to make up their mind and just sit on their arse here moaning because the review doesn't suit them. If a bench is missing go and find it and post the link in the review pages (like I've done for AotS, even with a caveat stating it goes both ways).

People need to stop moaning about a graphics company in such a bitter way. Make it a constructive criticism (why AMD needs to make a superior top end GPU to combat NVidia pricing) or why we need Zen to be a good performer to bring some reality back to Intel. Or why there should be a gaming developers ToS that helps consumers not be shafted by excessive use of proprietary software (or at least be allowed to switch it off).

Less bitter, more positivity. Damn - I need to to go to work.

And finally, is it not good the GTX1060 can be bought for the same price as an RX480?

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Îťoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Does anything in that reviewers guide leak surprise you? If it does you're a couple of transistors short of a Fiji.

And the Vulkan thing? Don't be so naive. Multiple posts about Doom Vulkan (which RX 480 would win) not being present yet Vulkan has the support of 4 games (one of which is more of a synthetic). DX11 is more relevant than Vulkan and it's less important to showcase an API that has got infinitely less traction that DX12.

The whole point is, it's very illuminating that

(A) People got very hyped over RX480 and it delivered the performance AMD said it would, although the stock version is noisy and wasn't as power efficient as everyone was led to believe.
(B) I saw arguably far less hype over the GTX1060 yet it delivers above where a lot of folk thought it would with a better acoustic and better perf/watt. The caveat being, the FE version (which is silly).
(C) The GTX1060 can be bought (at least in the UK) from AIB's for the same price as RX480, with equivalent performance, far better efficiency and so far, excellent acoustics.

So it means lots of AMD supporters need to snipe and whine about it. No Vulkan Doom, No DX12 Hitman (but we do have DX12 RotTR), etc etc. It seems the AMD side never stops moaning even when AMD have delivered the card they said they would and I'm sure the AIB cards will be fantastic.

But still, you moan... non stop. Forever. AMD delivered a great little card (the AIB's will make it what it was meant to be). Nvidia have now delivered a great little card (the AIB's will make it better). There is nothing to moan about. If you don't like TPU reviews - go elsewhere, find a site that suits your bias or better still, find many sites - get an aggregate score and make a valid, empirical choice - that's what I do. Relying on one site for a 100% viewpoint is always foolish. What if you don't play any games in TPU's game list? Go find it elsewhere to make that judgement call. But don't criticise TPU for using the games it's used for ages. Or is @W1zzard supposed to use games that suit the card he's reviewing and change suites all the time?

And FTR, DX12 is buggy. Other sites wont use RoTR in DX12, other sites wont bench A, B or C for similar reasons. Maybe people are too dumb to actually go and do a meta-analysis of reviews to make up their mind and just sit on their arse here moaning because the review doesn't suit them. If a bench is missing go and find it and post the link in the review pages (like I've done for AotS, even with a caveat stating it goes both ways).

People need to stop moaning about a graphics company in such a bitter way. Make it a constructive criticism (why AMD needs to make a superior top end GPU to combat NVidia pricing) or why we need Zen to be a good performer to bring some reality back to Intel. Or why there should be a gaming developers ToS that helps consumers not be shafted by excessive use of proprietary software (or at least be allowed to switch it off).

Less bitter, more positivity. Damn - I need to to go to work.

And finally, is it not good the GTX1060 can be bought for the same price as an RX480?

Totally logical your post, but also a very easy post when the situation we are today suits someone or doesn't bother someone.

I already gave this example, but I will repeat it.

People who, for example, support the team or a political party that has the victory secured, will always be more calm, always look to talk more reasonably, always call the others to stop moaning, or stop wearing a tinfoil hat, never really find anything wrong in how things are. It is just normal behavior when things are just great as they are.

If things change, three things are possible. People who where asking from others to stop moaning, will keep asking from others to stop moaning and accept that things change. They are the minority. People who where asking others to stop moaning will start moaning even louder because now they don't like the new situation. They are the majority. People who where asking others to stop moaning, will just change camp and keep asking others to stop moaning. They are plenty.

I am not going to write more. In a Greek forum a conversation about this could be easier for me, but not here. Philosophical matters of this type can lead to huge posts, so I will just stop here. But personally, I am willing to step into someone else's shoes and try to look at things from his perspective, instead of asking him to stop winning and moaning and go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
So in effect what you are saying is because it annoys you then you act annoyed? Does self control not play a part? I only ask because there are absolutely loads of posts, subjects and members in here that annoy the hell out of me (at times), I just apply some self control in the way I react, if you don't then that's because you choose to react the way you do. How we deal with adversity and behave accordingly is the very substance of what makes us, but hey, I am old and therefore old fashioned with what many would say is a very outdated viewpoint so I apologise for that, not trying to throw my beliefs at anyone. :cool:

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
So in effect what you are saying is because it annoys you then you act annoyed? Does self control not play a part? I only ask because there are absolutely loads of posts, subjects and members in here that annoy the hell out of me (at times), I just apply some self control in the way I react, if you don't then that's because you choose to react the way you do. How we deal with adversity and behave accordingly is the very substance of what makes us, but hey, I am old and therefore old fashioned with what many would say is a very outdated viewpoint so I apologise for that, not trying to throw my beliefs at anyone. :cool:
The worst thing about a moderator's job is to keep reading every post it is done in the categories he is supervising. It would have been nice if people where posting like happy little bots, giving plenty of traffic to the site, while not annoying the moderators by being annoying human beings. Am I right?

Also the biggest disadvantage for the moderator is that he doesn't have the option to start reacting or posting like a typical member. Simple members look at the moderator like he is a person of power(ban hammer). But the reality is that the moderator doesn't have the same freedom of speech. He have to be more careful. Having self control is part of the job.

Anyway let's make it simpler for the moderator. I was blocked from the Vulkan thread because someone dropped in to explain to AMD users how poor people they are, maybe the moderator should also block me from this thread because others think that people who have AMD hardware are nasty creatures, whining people, or people with no self control.

Last edited:
System Name Soko 6
Processor Intel i5-3470
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER
Cooling Thermalright Venomous X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming 4GB
Storage Samsung 750 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case Cooler Master 690
Power Supply Antec TP-750C
RX480 4 GB doesn't exist in the market anymore it seems
GTX 1060 for 250$ does not exist on the market either. I bet there is better chance of RX480 4GB for 200$ appearing than GTX1060 for 250$.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
GTX 1060 for 250$ does not exist on the market either. I bet there is better chance of RX480 4GB for 200$ appearing than GTX1060 for 250$.

As someone pointed out to me yesterday, there are a few $250 1060's, though they are of the smaller variety, single fan. They would be great in some smaller systems.

Last edited:
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
maybe sometimes a little thank you sir wizzard for your review would not hurt!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
The worst thing about a moderator's job is to keep reading every post it is done in the categories he is supervising. It would have been nice if people where posting like happy little bots, giving plenty of traffic to the site, while not annoying the moderators by being annoying human beings. Am I right?

Also the biggest disadvantage for the moderator is that he doesn't have the option to start reacting or posting like a typical member. Simple members look at the moderator like he is a person of power(ban hammer). But the reality is that the moderator doesn't have the same freedom of speech. He have to be more careful. Having self control is part of the job.

Anyway let's make it simpler for the moderator. I was blocked from the Vulkan thread because someone dropped in to explain to AMD users how poor people they are, maybe the moderator should also block me from this thread because others think that people who have AMD hardware are nasty creatures, whining people, or people with no self control.

Firstly....... You were stopped from posting in the Vulcan thread because you were trolling it to the point that you almost took it over, your rhetoric was repetitive and critically had started to become destructive (in my opinion). Secondly, Moderators on this site have freedom of speech and are at liberty to say what they think, BUT the same applies to them and any other member ..... providing they don't cross the line, it is one of the only reasons I do it here, for me the community is all important, I could not care less personally about site traffic and quite often some contentious material increases site traffic. Thirdly, I agree that self control is part of the job, however it is not a resource limited to a moderator, we can all access and exercise it if and when we choose and that was my original point, if it gets to the point a member chooses not to apply self control and restraint, I may have to step in and exercise it for them, which relates to my first point in this paragraph.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
RX480 4 GB doesn't exist in the market anymore it seems

Do you have a source for this?
I still saw 4GB reference card for sale in the store, and I'm sure of the many that were were purchased some will be resold in the used market.

Audio Device(s) onboard
Firstly....... You were stopped from posting in the Vulcan thread because you were trolling it to the point that you almost took it over, your rhetoric was repetitive and critically had started to become destructive (in my opinion). Secondly, Moderators on this site have freedom of speech and are at liberty to say what they think, BUT the same applies to them and any other member ..... providing they don't cross the line, it is one of the only reasons I do it here, for me the community is all important, I could not care less personally about site traffic and quite often some contentious material increases site traffic. Thirdly, I agree that self control is part of the job, however it is not a resource limited to a moderator, we can all access and exercise it if and when we choose and that was my original point, if it gets to the point a member chooses not to apply self control and restraint, I may have to step in and exercise it for them, which relates to my first point in this paragraph.
I was not trolling, but anyway. It doesn't matter. If there is a limit of one post/page before it looks like you are monopolizing the topic, that's something I didn't knew. Also when you support an opinion that it is a minority, even if you only do one post, you can get quoted by 2-3 persons. If you decide to answer, it might look like monopolizing the topic, but that will be wrong. You are sitting in a table with 5 others with a different opinion, all 5 ask you a, usually, not so different question to show you that you are wrong. You give 5 answers in response. Are you monopolizing the conversation? Are you becoming repetitive if the questions asked are similar and so the answers you are giving are also similar? Are you destroying the conversation?

Anyway, this can go long way. Let's stop it here.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Do you have a source for this?
I still saw 4GB reference card for sale in the store, and I'm sure of the many that were were purchased some will be resold in the used market.
So I talked to a few people and it looks like 4 GB is coming back at some point in the future, in a true 4 GB variant. When and how many, no idea. Right now you pretty much can't buy any that's why it's not included. If it comes back it will be included of course.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
So I talked to a few people and it looks like 4 GB is coming back at some point in the future, in a true 4 GB variant. When and how many, no idea. Right now you pretty much can't buy any that's why it's not included. If it comes back it will be included of course.

If this is the case, then you should have added these to the graph as this information is still relevant.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Does the idle power drop when that happens?

Yes, I do have other power concerns for sure. I always factor in utility cost when I buy stuff though. Maybe I'm overestimating the difference in cards particularly if the power drops even lower when the monitor sleeps, but it isn't as simple as it is with some appliances. Note that the figures in the test are at the card, and you need to add in PSU efficiency, which won't be that good when it's drawing ~50W from the wall.

I agree, it's irrelevant. Performance and perceived value will set the real prices. And when the late Nov deals (in the US) come in you'll be able to get either for well under $200.

Yeah. The power draw goes way down (~0 W?) when screens go to sleep.

I do use my dual screen a lot. At least 4-6 hrs a day, more when my wife uses the PC as well. So I actually do need to factor that into my decision. Thanks for opening my eyes to that, I was assuming it would work out to much less in my usage situation, though I assume I am not typical.

For me, saving 30 W or so, for 4 hours a day, x 365 x $0.2 = $12 a year. Not insignificant, if I am planning on using the card for at least 2 years.

Funnily enough, the 1060 seems to be falling $50 below the cost of a 480 where I am, so the decision may be made for me. I have just got to wait for availability and the AIBs.

I think if prices were as they are in the US, I would opt for the 480 and make a small gamble on the future of DX12/Vulcan.

Edit - Scrub that last bit. Prices are all over the place. the only place I can find availability, the Gigabyte 1060 is $50 more than the reference 8gb 480. This is going to be a painful wait. (1060 = $360 USD) :(

I saw arguably far less hype over the GTX1060 yet it delivers above where a lot of folk thought it would with a better acoustic and better perf/watt.

OCs a lot better also. At least comparing the reference models.

Amazes me what people get hung up on. These two are in the same ballpark across the board. The market will set the real prices. I think the 1060 has a performance edge even long term (ie DX12 and Vulcan), since in TPU's accumulated benches it enjoys a 17% lead after OC. But if anyone disagrees that's fine. Buy the one you want.

The more interesting thing to me is if AMD will be clawing back some market share, make a profit, and offer some real competition against Nvidia across the board. That would be great for us. When I compare this generation vs the last, I'm not seeing a big win for AMD. Or even a little one. The 480 is a fine card, but so was the 380. Nvidia is actually in a better position with 1060 vs 480, than they were with 960 vs 380. I have a feeling this will be the case when AMD introduces their high end cards as well. Bottom line being that AMD will continue to have a tough time making profit and gaining market. They need some real winners, and hope that Nvidia stumbles.

Edit - Scrub that last bit. Prices are all over the place. the only place I can find availability, the Gigabyte 1060 is $50 more than the reference 8gb 480. This is going to be a painful wait. (1060 = $360 USD) :(

Ya, once the "new card" frenzy is over the market will set reasonable prices. The great thing for us is that there is serious competition and the FPS/$ is a good boost from last year!

Last edited:
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
The more interesting thing to me is if AMD will be clawing back some market share, make a profit, and offer some real competition against Nvidia across the board. That would be great for us. When I compare this generation vs the last, I'm not seeing a big win for AMD. Or even a little one. The 480 is a fine card, but so was the 380. Nvidia is actually in a better position with 1060 vs 480, than they were with 960 vs 380. I have a feeling this will be the case when AMD introduces their high end cards as well. Bottom line being that AMD will continue to have a tough time making profit and gaining market. They need some real winners, and hope that Nvidia stumbles.

Ya, once the "new card" frenzy is over the market will set reasonable prices. The great thing for us is that there is serious competition and the FPS/$ is a good boost from last year!

Given the price differences, even if all AMD cards are less performing than Nvidia's, based on Polaris alone I think AMD will have high sales due to the value proposition with their lower costs and pricing.

Given the price differences, even if all AMD cards are less performing than Nvidia's, based on Polaris alone I think AMD will have high sales due to the value proposition with their lower costs and pricing.

Question is, why did AMD lose so much market share and has that reason been reversed? AMD had a slight FPS/$ edge through the whole time their market share dropped. I'm talking actual prices of cards on the market, not MSRP. Where they lost was primarily FPS/W (which often translates into enough actual $ to exceed the price difference) and failing to compete at the flagship level. This generation looks the same so far. I don't know how it will work out in the end, but it doesn't look that great for AMD so far.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Question is, why did AMD lose so much market share and has that reason been reversed? AMD had a slight FPS/$ edge through the whole time their market share dropped. I'm talking actual prices of cards on the market, not MSRP. Where they lost was primarily FPS/W (which often translates into enough actual $ to exceed the price difference) and failing to compete at the flagship level. This generation looks the same so far. I don't know how it will work out in the end, but it doesn't look that great for AMD so far.

Much of it has to do with the Monkey See, Monkey Do popularity that Nvidia has enjoyed, as well as the proprietary GameWorks used by many games.
Thermals have been much improved with AMD now, and that used to be a concern to many buyers.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Much of it has to do with the Monkey See, Monkey Do popularity that Nvidia has enjoyed, as well as the proprietary GameWorks used by many games.
Thermals have been much improved with AMD now, and that used to be a concern to many buyers.

For me it was Monkey See, Monkey buy the fastest card available at time (980ti with a monstrous 20% above reference).

I don't mind being a monkey. Just like the GTX 1080 owners who now have the fastest single gpu card on the planet. Rather be a monkey than a bottom feeder.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
For me it was Monkey See, Monkey buy the fastest card available at time (980ti with a monstrous 20% above reference).

I don't mind being a monkey. Just like the GTX 1080 owners who now have the fastest single gpu card on the planet. Rather be a monkey than a bottom feeder.

I think he is not reffering to you, but other people who blindly buy products based on "brand popularity" instead of bang for buck (or in your case, absolute best performance).
It's like in my country the majorityof people buy nvidia just because is nvidia and don't know anything else. Even in the nvidia product costs more and performs the same. They see nvidia brand as superior in quality to amd for "reasons". They have never had an amd graphic card and talk bs of amd.
I do not know to this day what is that so called superiority in quality. As a matter of fact i've had equal number of each brand (8 and 8) and had more problems with nvidia...

In the case of this card, it performs better BUT costs more, so people with 250 - 290 will buy 1060 and people with 200 - 230 will buy RX480.
On the power comsumption topic: i consider that important when talking about a card that consumes 321w vs 191w (290x - gtx980), but 160w vs 120w? that is so low i don't even care.

All in all this is a great card, for people with a 250 - 290 budget, that is.