• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Page file size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I remember a long long time ago I had 768mb of ram and was trying to play NWN 1. It ran like trash. This was back when Windows XP was dominant. To fix the issue I came a cross a post about modifying the virtual memory amount. I set it to 4GB and the game ran amazing.

Years have passed since that day. I have been through numerous phases.

-Run it with 4GB
-Dont run it at all
-Run it with 1GB
-Let Windows decide.

The only conclusion I have been able to come to without actually designing it myself is the following.

- Running it with 4GB for several years proved to be an amazing benefit back when 1GB of DDR1 RAM was hundreds of dollars a stick. I kept it like this for many many years and never had a single issue. That said I could never ultimately decide whether or not it still provided the same benefit as it had for me that day. I also realized with the onset of bigger games in the early 2000s and the low storage capability of affordable HDDs at that time that 4GB was too much for a data hoarder or someone that needed or had many programs installed. A cycle that would crop backup with the presentation of the first wave of 32 and 64gb SSDs. With the added bonus of destroying them back when NAND structure was very weak. Of course this was back with XP and memory management in windows OSs comes very far with almost every release.

-Not running it at all seemed like a fantastic prospect when RAM and total board compatibility grew and became affordable. This became a popular practice around Windows Vista. When "4GB Vista Ready" kits were introduced at around the $200 mark. Memory management was better for software in general obviously looking the other way at Vistas memory usage in general compared to XP at the time it was a product of change and higher OS consumption was starting to be accepted when we looked more closely at the technology that was going to be implemented in future OSs like transparent shells and security measures that loaded system processes in memory.

Memory management was getting better and running without a pagefile worked for me for a very long time, however like anything humans are unpredictable and imperfect. Some programs were coded using old techniques and peoples refusal to leave the past behind meant compatibility modes that would break Windows memory management algorithms causing memory leaks. These caused users and myself on many different occasions issues as our systems would break because of the unforeseen consequences of bad programming and maybe bad practice. Of course then and even now, who can be certain running without one is bad practice? If not for the memory leaks of management protocols would we consistently see adverse effects? Of course we also had the issue with the crashes themselves. With no pagefile we could not analyse crash dumps.

-Running with 1GB of RAM was another popular midpoint starting with Windows 7 when we started to see less and less of the issues we encountered with Vista. The framework and best practices for software was more outlined for developers and the kernel code cleaned up and improved so 7 itself used less resources. However with the improvements most were still unsure if the likelihood of issues was going down because some were now running pagefiles that were not previously, or because now RAM stepped into the DD3 erra, becoming cheaper and more plentiful with the added software improvements simply became less of an issue because we now rarely reached the threshold. Of course one obvious added benefit is that in some small capacity we were now able to analyse some smaller crash dumps with the added pagefile thus making some bluescreens and dumps that weren't 1:1 copies of system memory readable.

-Windows managed pagefile was a proof of concept and the last in my line of thinking. I did all other varients before settling on what MS setup for me on day 1. I did this more as an academic exercise, for all I knew current OSs would be aware enough to correct issues I had once had like NWN not working. However I have seen 3 different combinations of issues. Of course one of which is all systems GO. Working as intended with the onset of better cheaper and bigger SSDs and memory Windows pagefile usage was something that slowly stopped being considered when size was thought about. Correctly working it is under the total system amount and automatically scales to need. I have seen no issues with this model.

With everything however there are PROs and CONs one of which is when automatic adjustment does not work. Over the years memory topology and management has changed. All of it for the better, but systems arent perfect. I have seen automatic configuration 1:1 match my system memory which becomes a serious concern when disks are getting thrashed by the sheer size of the pagefile. It is also an issue in this aspect when system memory started becoming incredibly cheap during the DDR3 speed races when 1333 and 1600mhz sticks were as low as $1X for gigs of capacity. This quickly killed systems that were still running reliable smaller SSDs while running deep density sticks because of there cost effectiveness.

I have also seen Windows management use double system memory which still ties into what I just wrote but more importantly is the issue of it not correcting itself. whether it is double, 1:1 or in the unfortunate event of my recent dealing with scientific simulations were memory consumption was very high causing BSODs because Windows Memory Management was not automatically expanding the paging file the issues with Automatically setting a paging size isnt usually due to the size at which it is set automatically. The problem comes later when it FAILS to shrink or expand it. This brings in all the issues discussed above without the added benefit of being able to say you did it to yourself.

In closing I monitor my paging files for inconsistency due to Windows or software that manipulates its value incorrectly. However I will say that I do have it automatically set for every system I own now. That isnt too say I will not change it like I already have several times, only that I currently see no issues with it as is as long as it keeps working in what I believe to be an acceptable capacity.

Am I going to banish someones thought or personal ideals about this setting? No, I will not. I do not know what there situation or needs are and I have manipulated it myself on multiple occasions because of real or perceived problems with it being automatically set.

That said I also think there is no wrong way to eat a reeses.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The pagefile still exists, so perhaps it's still needed.
This is key. The Page File, virtual memory, and memory management (both in the OS and hardware) have gone through many changes since the PF was first introduced in Windows 3.0 - then known as the "swap file". Windows knows how much RAM we have installed on our systems. It would be a simple matter to code Windows to disable the PF if it was not needed or it provided some benefit to disable it - just as it automatically disables defragging on SSDs when it senses the SSD. But Windows does not disable it, ever.

The developers at Microsoft are some pretty sharp people with the ultimate goal of coding the OS to optimize our hardware resources. This is something even Microsoft marketing weenies understand. Since there is no reason for the marketing weenies to interfere with the PF settings, there is no reason to assume the developers are lazy and have not coded modern versions Windows to properly analyze our VM usage and set the PF settings accordingly.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
This is key. The Page File, virtual memory, and memory management (both in the OS and hardware) have gone through many changes since the PF was first introduced in Windows 3.0 - then known as the "swap file". Windows knows how much RAM we have installed on our systems. It would be a simple matter to code Windows to disable the PF if it was not needed or it provided some benefit to disable it - just as it automatically disables defragging on SSDs when it senses the SSD. But Windows does not disable it, ever.

The developers at Microsoft are some pretty sharp people with the ultimate goal of coding the OS to optimize our hardware resources. This is something even Microsoft marketing weenies understand. Since there is no reason for the marketing weenies to interfere with the PF settings, there is no reason to assume the developers are lazy and have not coded modern versions Windows to properly analyze our VM usage and set the PF settings accordingly.
God forbid those weenies at m$ should design an OS without a pagefile, doubt they will ever get rid of it.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
If you use photoshop type programs you need a swap/page as well. If worried about drive space use a ram drive and put it on there. I do never have issues ever.

Just set it and forget seriously.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
If you use photoshop type programs you need a swap/page as well. If worried about drive space use a ram drive and put it on there. I do never have issues ever.

Just set it and forget seriously.
video editing too.

Ram drive as page file? hahaha

TBH any professional program worth its price would program its own source page file to a mapped SSD/HDD.

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Just leave it as auto, and if you worry about your ssd, then just leave it as auto on a mechanical drive, or an usb stick. Readyboost still exist xD.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Just leave it as auto, and if you worry about your ssd, then just leave it as auto on a mechanical drive, or an usb stick. Readyboost still exist xD.
Eh Readyboost won't let me fondle it so I just let my HDDs take the brunt for the pagefile.

Dumb Readyboost won't let me put my 2gb flash drive to use for once. :ohwell:

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I remember Readyboost helping a lot on those old 1GB Atom netbooks.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Eh Readyboost won't let me fondle it so I just let my HDDs take the brunt for the pagefile.

Dumb Readyboost won't let me put my 2gb flash drive to use for once. :ohwell:
You're not supposed to fondle your dongle! :roll:

IIRC Readyboost was designed to only compliment platter drives and totally useless on SSDs

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
God forbid those weenies at m$ should design an OS without a pagefile, doubt they will ever get rid of it.
Don't be critical of the developers - or at least don't blame the developers for the actions of the marketing weenies, bean counters, and the "business" decision makers.

The developers are the real pros at MS who know their stuff and they push out top-tier software. Just about every messed up thing at Microsoft is due to some poor decision forced upon and beyond the control of the actual software developers. :(

As far as Page Files on RAM drives, I don't see the point. It seems counterintuitive to me. If disk space is that precious, uninstall unused programs, move some files to a different drive and delete unneeded files - viable temporary measures while you save your pennies to buy more disk space for a permanent solution. And with the price of disk space, even SSD space being so low and still dropping, saving enough pennies should not take long.

Seriously, if you have space on your SSD, that is the best place for the PF (unless it is an antique first generation SSD). Modern SSDs just don't suffer from the read/write limitations of first generation SSDs. There is no reason to expect a mechanical HD will last longer than any current generation SSD.

If you have SSDs in your system, why not take full advantage of the vastly superior performance they offer?

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6

Argue with Asrock...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Argue with Asrock...
Not sure who you are talking to, or what it is you are suggesting to argue about. I don't believe anyone said it cannot be done.

My point is putting a PF in RAM is like having integrated graphics. A potentially big chunk of RAM is stolen and now dedicated for some other purpose. And in the case of using RAM for the PF, it is likely much of that stolen RAM will go unused much of the time. So again, for me, that seems counterintuitive and an inefficient use of system RAM.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
A while ago I was reading somewhere that some applications crash without a pagefile, don't know about games though.

I don't know when or how it happened, but at one point the paging file was turned off on my computer. I didn't turn it off and I thought windows defaulted to having it as auto managed....

I have 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD and 2 HDDs for storage. I had just gotten my GTX 980Ti and I was playing Shadow of Mordor at 5760x1080, everything maxed out. I kept running into low memory issues and the game would minimize to desktop and show me the low memory message.

The game was easily using upwards of 6GB of VRAM, but I didn't see my RAM make any jumps while gaming. I found my paging file was off and I turned it back on. Windows to auto manage set it to some stupid amount that wouldn't be beneficial so I just manually set it to 4096MB and I haven't had any problems since.

I'm using 16MB which is the recommended minimum. I've also set BSOD dumps to be minidumps only. This way I still have the debugging capability on BSOD's, but the system is running everything from RAM. If you turn off pagefile, you won't get any memory dumps and that can suck sometimes if you're trying to figure out why something is crashing.
How do you even get a BSOD these days? Haven't seen one since Windows Fista.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I've been getting UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION in Windows 10. No one seems to know why they happen and they are pretty common. I think it has something to do with Universal Windows Platform applications.

Page file, under normal circumstances, shouldn't cause a BSOD. Only way it would is if the device the page file is on is failing and has a read, write, or data integrity error.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I have 128GB of RAM, Windows 10 set it to 256GB for me. The Virtual RAM amount depends on your applications. For me I constant use 90~110GB of RAM so Windows 10 set it to a high 256GB to prevent me from crashing.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
256GB? Wow! It has been a long time I have seen Windows set a PF larger than the amount of RAM you have. What does it say is currently allocated? I have 16GB of RAM installed and Windows set a max PF of 2938MB with 2432MB currently allocated.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Don't be critical of the developers - or at least don't blame the developers for the actions of the marketing weenies, bean counters, and the "business" decision makers.

The developers are the real pros at MS who know their stuff and they push out top-tier software. Just about every messed up thing at Microsoft is due to some poor decision forced upon and beyond the control of the actual software developers. :(

As far as Page Files on RAM drives, I don't see the point. It seems counterintuitive to me. If disk space is that precious, uninstall unused programs, move some files to a different drive and delete unneeded files - viable temporary measures while you save your pennies to buy more disk space for a permanent solution. And with the price of disk space, even SSD space being so low and still dropping, saving enough pennies should not take long.

Seriously, if you have space on your SSD, that is the best place for the PF (unless it is an antique first generation SSD). Modern SSDs just don't suffer from the read/write limitations of first generation SSDs. There is no reason to expect a mechanical HD will last longer than any current generation SSD.

If you have SSDs in your system, why not take full advantage of the vastly superior performance they offer?

Easy there Trigger! I wasnt attacking the developers, I was generalizing, but they are part of a team and do have some feedback, even if its a little slice. IMO, its the management that makes the poor decisions that messes stuff up.

The pagefile HAS outlived its usefulness now that memory sizes scaled up faster then [HDD] disk access times did before SSDs, what most people dont realize is that its so damn easy to incorporate a type of Ram disk into developing programs. We are out of the dark ages of programming now, everything is only limited by the programmers skill level. M$ should do away with the pagefile and put the burden on developers to create their own routines to make up for it.
The nice thing about larger amounts memory becoming a standard is that most games, and what ever else, cant fill 32 gigs of memory easily.

If your system is constantly using a page file, you prolly dont have enough memory. windows is still picky about its pagefile, it doesnt matter either HDD/SSD, above 8 GB memory, 50MB per GB is sufficient, under 8GB let windows manage it.

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
256GB? Wow! It has been a long time I have seen Windows set a PF larger than the amount of RAM you have. What does it say is currently allocated? I have 16GB of RAM installed and Windows set a max PF of 2938MB with 2432MB currently allocated.

Post #24 of this thread: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/virtual-memory-with-large-ram.222489/

Genome assembly and alignment takes a huge amount of RAM. Somehow I was stupid enough to believe that 128GB is enough.

Here is a screenshot of a relative low work load day. I am just running some transcriptome assembly, not even genome size. And it easily chews around 38GB. That is with only ONE pipeline running. Usually I parallel assemble 2~3 projects to max out RAM. However if I am doing genome assembly and alignment I can only perform one at a time. That was the 90~110GB usage I was talking about.

Take home message of the day: DO NOT DISABLE PAGE FILE!. Windows knows better than you.
thumbnail_38gb.jpg

MasuRCA.jpg

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Easy there Trigger! I wasnt attacking the developers,
You were talking about the designers of Windows leaving out the PF and that is not a management decision. To be sure, I am a hardware guy so my kind are always butting heads with programmers. But I still will not stand by idle when they are bashed (even by association) without due cause. So I was just making sure the record was set straight - not admonishing you..

The pagefile HAS outlived its usefulness now that memory sizes scaled up faster then [HDD] disk access times did before SSDs,
:( Oh, but now I will. To suggest virtual memory (PF + RAM) is wholly dependent on RAM size and disk speed makes it is clear you don't fully understand memory management either. The page file is still useful, or else it would not be used. Again, Microsoft does not benefit by coding in something that provides no usefulness. That is a waste of coder resources and would introduce unnecessary delays and more parts that could fail.

If the PF was not useful and the computer had gobs of RAM and SSDs, MS would code in disabling the PF. But they know otherwise is better.

So do Linux developers but they don't disable it either. In fact, Linux is capable of using several swap files at the same time on the same disk to cache pages of data to speed up performance.

And Microsoft cannot mandate every computer have 128GB of RAM, or SSDs either.
Take home message of the day: DO NOT DISABLE PAGE FILE!. Windows knows better than you.
:clap: They sure do.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I have 128GB of RAM, Windows 10 set it to 256GB for me. The Virtual RAM amount depends on your applications. For me I constant use 90~110GB of RAM so Windows 10 set it to a high 256GB to prevent me from crashing.

When I first went from 8GB to 16 GB windows 7 set up a 32GB page file, on my 120GB SSD. :laugh: I have never used more than 5GB. So I manually set it to a couple of GB, but in Win10 the settings reverted for some reason...

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H

:( Oh, but now I will. To suggest virtual memory (PF + RAM) is wholly dependent on RAM size and disk speed makes it is clear you don't fully understand memory management either.
Thats not what I said. I understand enough to know that accesss times to a HDD are longer than to a SSD, thats all most people really know or care about. I dont need to know exact times, I'm not a MS programmer, I only dabble anymore. And I still think M$ can do better with its memory management.

The page file is still useful, or else it would not be used. Again, Microsoft does not benefit by coding in something that provides no usefulness. That is a waste of coder resources and would introduce unnecessary delays and more parts that could fail.

If the PF was not useful and the computer had gobs of RAM and SSDs, MS would code in disabling the PF. But they know otherwise is better.
There are still older programs that use the PF, I know that, but they wont be around forever. Future programs will use PF less often, and as I said earlier, there is enough RAM for them not use the PF. Part speculation ofcourse. (I think now you are blowing this out of proportion. gobs, indeed. :roll:)

So do Linux developers but they don't disable it either. In fact, Linux is capable of using several swap files at the same time on the same disk to cache pages of data to speed up performance.[/QUOTE]
I really dont give a damn what Linus developers do, I dont play in Linux. I will concede that the PF has its limited uses, but generally its still useless to the average user who doesnt know what it is. I can only speak for myself when I say that I find 100MB is enough to not make windows crash. I spent my share years fixing computers for others, my low opinion of M$ is mine, take it or leave it but dont ... nvm.

And Microsoft cannot mandate every computer have 128GB of RAM, or SSDs either.
No I suppose they cant, but being mostly a gamer, game developers can set required specs, and if gamers want to play that game above the shit settings (low/extremely low), they'll comply.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Just FYI
I just did a clean install with 32 Gb of Ram. Windows 10 Pro set my page file to

Its appears W10 has done a better job of keeping it under control

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Next thing we know we'll see someone with a 1TB SSD with the whole thing being used for pagefile but only gets 2GB of memory to chew on.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There are still older programs that use the PF

If you read back through this thread, you will see there are still many current programs that expect to find and will use the PF - regardless the amount of installed RAM. You seem to be implying that is a bad thing. It is not.

If you read back through the 1/2 dozen links that show the advantages to the PF, you would learn how memory management works with the PF. Also a good thing.
And I still think M$ can do better with its memory management.
I really dont give a damn what Linus developers do, I dont play in Linux.
my low opinion of M$ is mine, take it or leave it
I think that last statement says it all. Your bias has clouded your view of the facts. Microsoft is stupid for still using the PF, but all the developers of the many versions of Linux which also use a page file don't matter because you don't play in Linux? Yeah right! :rolleyes:

So I absolutely believe you when you say you are not a MS programmer! And as to your opinion, I'll take you up on your offer and leave it, and stick with the opinions of the many real experts (as seen in all the provided links above).

I think it is important to note that memory management is also controlled by the CPUs via on-die memory managers used by both AMD and Intel. And these management protocols are not dictated strictly by Microsoft but through extensive cooperative effort by the CPU makers, various OS makers (not just MS) and others. Yes, MS has the major hand with Windows, and until Man can create perfection, there's always room for improvement. But the fact is, Windows knows how to manage virtual memory very well. If the PF did not provide any benefits, it would not be used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.