• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Comcast killing peoples routers and modems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol @ "A grudge against comcast"..lol.. Really? Going there?
I can get what you mean in general but what I went through was ridiculous.. They earned the "dumbass" term..
I have spent like 20 hours on the phone with them, over the last three months. They made me buy three different modems and 2 different routers, totaling $700. 00.
That's terrible support if ever there was any.. Grudge nothing.. Legitimately pissed off.

Router "Shouldn't effect it" But it does.. So Idk what you're expecting there..
I plug it into the router, dead, into the modem directly, good to go.. This is a new router.

They have a warranty for replacement, through the retailer but replacing it with something that doesn't work, doesn't help..lol.. Walmart is a 90 policy.. I can still return one of the modems at least.. Get 100 bucks back but the others are just a little, past return date.. I got the run around for three months..lol That takes some kind of skill.. Bravo comcast tech support..lol

I asked them if the router was compatible before I bought it, they said yes, so I bought it.. On their advice..
I was literally buying it, with them on the phone, standing in walmart, looking at model numbers.
but see, i wouldnt be in walmart in the first place (do you not have a microcenter or frys? maybe bestbuy?), i avoid tech support since i have to be my own administrator & researcher (but i understand you're under pressure since you need the internet working to even research), they dont exactly 'make' you do anything per se

also i did imply level1 techs dont have a clue, but they dont need it pointed out in such ways, support is a horrible job & i'm already getting sick of dealing with my own systems or getting nagged by others to fix something

now since it escalated to this stage... maybe you can get them to make a discount over a few months that could cancel out that cost some more

so in the future, i'm saying to describe a story as a series of events & then end it with 'this is ridiculous' rather than 'lawsuit', it will be taken much more seriously (think of it like writing an identical bad news story in caps vs normally, yes i realize the irony of me using my trademark casual writing style, but the whole point of me even replying in this thread is to make you a better person for life, it might come in handy, it might rub off on others)

by the way, it looks like dslreports has a section where you can get higher level support directly from comcast employees https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect (i would still post the story in the regular comcast forum there, get more information, etc)

oh & i'm not sure we ever learned what the problem was, which means it will happen again, but it sounds like it's likely the wiring... question is if your brother is in a similar building

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Another thing to consider, on top of the surge protector that was previously linked to, is examine the cabling that goes from where the Comcast service enters your residence to the cable modem. If it isn't RG6 or better, consider replacing it. RG59 is crap. If the cable runs parallel to electric cables, consider moving it away from them.

I had problems with surges in my phone lines. I replaced all of the phone cabling in my house with CAT6 FTP and ran a direct cable from the NID box to the ADSL gateway. The entire network of phone and network cables are now grounded in the NID box as well. The surges are gone.

Good thing about fiber optics is that it's lightning/surge proof. You only have to protect the power adapter of the modem. You can't get a power surge through a signal line anymore unlike with coaxial or copper lines with traditional internet.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I think it is more likely that power surges coming in through the coax are killing the hardware.

I agree with newtekie. I have had 2 modems die due to surges in coax. Luckily charter gives free modem replacements

Good thing about fiber optics is that it's lightning/surge proof. You only have to protect the power adapter of the modem. You can't get a power surge through a signal line anymore unlike with coaxial or copper lines with traditional internet.

ONT's can still kill modems. We have ours protected by UPS's on customer houses and still a power surge will kill their modem. We do offer customers a netgear router along with our wire service fee.

Fiber optics are not conductive. Meaning, only source of power surge can be from a wall socket through a power grid.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
DOCSIS is coax cable. Fiber is off-topic.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fiber optics are not conductive. Meaning, only source of power surge can be from a wall socket through a power grid.

Here it is fiber to the ONT.
The ones I installed were copper (coax/ethernet) to the modem/router from the ONT.
The ONT is fed from a power supply.
So, the ONT, and modem/router, need to be protected; or, a (lightning)surge can, possibly, be transferred between them.

side note... when it comes to lightning, Goodluck stopping that stuff... personal experience, it goes where it wishes. And, protection did not help, as it has to go somewhere.

On topic:
@OP, you may need a tech to come out to test for foreign/out of spec voltage on the line/coax...

Last edited:
Well, I'll have FTTH (Fiber To The Home), so non conductive. Flats usually have fiber to the building and then it's routed to actual clients via regular copper wires. There, you still have to protect it.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I am so clueless as to half the things said in here..lol But my brother is in a different city..lol.. I thought it might be the wiring too. Until I plugged it right into the modem directly and it worked. Just the router doesn't..

Last edited:
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I don't mean killing by surges.. I mean killing by making the hardware/software incompatible, maybe.
Idk the details of networking specifics. All I know is they have had me running around buying shit for two days and had me on the phone for like 6 hours..
I'm beyond sick of their shit..

Well, I bought an AC1750 "C6300" Modem router combo, that they said is compatible.
But when I looked on the shelves, they are still selling the other ones that are not compatible, with no warning, side by side.
Look for the certification for DOCSIS 3.0 on the box.

I'm not the conspiracy theory type, but I wouldn't put it past Comcast to have "revolving protocol", or something similar they use in their own modems to force people to to lease. I've kept their shitty modem myself, set it in bridge mode ad using an RT-N66U as my WAP, along with a stupid switch for hardwiring.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

What you dont understand is there is a ONT at the other end of the fiber than converts the optical signal back to digital. This ONT requires its own power source and as also prone to surges just as modems do. I see it every time we have major storms in our area and our field techs are out changing ONT's that shorted out along with routers.

Well, what was I saying? The converter needs surge protection, just like modem is converter from telephone copper wire into CAT5 or from coax to CAT5 or from optical to CAT5. The thing is, it's power source that is the only vector, not power source AND signal source. Most people with telephone line only protect power source, not the signal source even though surge can arrive via signal one as well.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yea I've seen that list.. There are tons of routers still for sale at walmart that are not compatible and not on that list.

That is Walmart's fault, not Comcast's.

Router "Shouldn't effect it" But it does.. So Idk what you're expecting there..
I plug it into the router, dead, into the modem directly, good to go.. This is a new router.

The router has absolutely no affect, any router will work with Comcast if set up properly. The only thing Comcast is "killing" by your definition of the term is old modems that aren't DOCSIS3.0 compatible as they are switching their entire network to DOCSIS3.0 Only. Old DOCSIS2.0 devices will not work.

If you pick a modem that is compatible, you can plug any router you want into it.

However, one of the main issues I've seen is that most of the devices they support, and what the tech support people recommend, are modem/router combos. They'll usually work on their own just fine, but if you plug a second router into them that router won't work. It is a double NAT issue. And if both the modem/router and the second router are setup on the same subnet it definitely won't work. Most modem/router combos come out of the box using 192.168.1.X, and most regular routers do the same. So they won't work together without some re-configuring by the user.

Additionally, getting your secondary router to work isn't their tech-support's job. They only have to get their equipment working. They don't have to support your equipment that they have no idea about.

but see, i wouldnt be in walmart in the first place (do you not have a microcenter or frys? maybe bestbuy?), i avoid tech support since i have to be my own administrator & researcher (but i understand you're under pressure since you need the internet working to even research), they dont exactly 'make' you do anything per se

Sounds like he's been dealing with this problem for some 3 months now. Hell, he could have went on newegg, ordered a SURFboard SB6183 for $100, plugged in any router he wanted, and been done with the issue in about 3 days...

Last edited:
System Name The Mini Nuke
Processor Intel i9-9900K at 4.9GHz -1AVX Vffset 1.27V
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero WiFi
Cooling NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory Model F4-4000C17Q-32GTZRB
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 1 LG 27GL850-B and 2 ROG Swift PG278Q
Case NZXT - H700 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 - 1000W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I second everything newtekie1 said, the only thing Comcast is killing is modems that aren't DOCSIS 3.0 compatible. And if you lease your modem from Comcast they will send you a new one. The router has nothing to do with DOCSIS 3.0, you're not setting up your network properly. :banghead:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
And if you lease your modem from Comcast they will send you a new one.

Oh shoot, I knew I forgot something. Yes, if you get your modem from Comcast, they will upgrade you to a DOCSIS3.0 modem for free. If you bought your modem yourself, you have to pay for a new one yourself. That's part of the $7/10 a month fee to rent the modem from Comcast, if it ever needs replacing, they do it at no cost.

is there a whitelist of modem models & firmware? ISPs do that here so i wouldnt be able to choose just any modem...

the weird thing is with third party ISPs that use the network built by the main one, each has a bit of a different list, it's the same physical network (sorta)

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Really you should change the title of this thread. I hate when people jump to conclusions about a problem.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I second everything newtekie1 said, the only thing Comcast is killing is modems that aren't DOCSIS 3.0 compatible. And if you lease your modem from Comcast they will send you a new one. The router has nothing to do with DOCSIS 3.0, you're not setting up your network properly. :banghead:

And you know I'm not how? Maybe you can tell me that AFTER you hear that I've been on the phone with linksys tech support 4 times and comcast more than I can count and they could fix nothing.. Linksys set up my router dude.. So maybe they don't know what they are doing but you do? lol..
Never mind, just make some ignorant assumption like you did and act like I've never used a modem in my 40 years of life.. Like I've never built a half a dozen computers myself and tech supported them myself for their entire lifetime.. I'm not some total novice here.. I know how dang router is supposed to work dude..

Did you even read the previous comments, because it just seems to me that you're one of those guys who came in, read nothing, said some nonsense, then stepped away.. Bravo.. Really thorough..

Every single comment you made, has already been responded to.. Learn to read please..

For example your sentiment about renting one.. That's kind of the POINT I'm making..lol.. They are possibly making it this hard, to force people to rent their crap.. Anti-Trust law suits have started over less..

Really you should change the title of this thread. I hate when people jump to conclusions about a problem.

Maybe you need to reread the title.. That's a QUESTION mark.. Not a period.. You know the difference right?

Hate that huh? Wow.. Must not take much to make you hate then..lol.. Maybe you should make a better list of things to hate.. One not so pointless..

"Jump" to conclusions after an ongoing problem, where comcast keeps telling me to buy new hardware, making me spend 700 bucks out of my own pocket.? This is like 6 months total I've been dealing with excuses from them and having intermittent lost signals.. After having multiple techs come out, rerun wires, buy 3 modems, 2 routers, test lines, talk to tech support for literally like 20 hours.. Jump to conclusions? Nonsense.. They are making it this difficult deliberately I think. To force people to rent their crap.. 6 months is not JUMPING to anything..

Said my peace about this.. I'm ridiculously stressed out over it.. Moving on...

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Said my peace about this.. I'm ridiculously stressed out over it.. Moving on...
Hope you sort out your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.