• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Fan Spikes

Yes. A short grinding sound wich appears somewhat constantly (every 10-30 seconds or something) when the card reaches a certain temperature / fan speed.

Yep. It's driving me nuts. And using a custom fan curve makes the coil whine unbearable, so I'm annoyed either way :(

And what said Gigabyte technical support about this problem? Maybe they can provide some solution except for a BIOS update?
It's true that if you set the fans at 10% then that sound will be permanent?o_O

Bloody

I don't think starting and stopping brushless fans makes any difference, it's the vibrations (the buzzing/grinding sound) that worries me.

I don't think starting and stopping brushless fans makes any difference, it's the vibrations (the buzzing/grinding sound) that worries me.
Maybe it is normal, who knows. Do you have the same problem with grinding sound?

If you mean like this, then yes. :/ Using MSI Afterburner with a custom fan curve now to mitigate.
Oh my god, I have this exact same issue. Please Gigabyte fix this because the sound the fans are making is fu****g annoying. It's driving me crazy.

If you mean like this, then yes. :/ Using MSI Afterburner with a custom fan curve now to mitigate.

Wow. Even though that your graphics card has cooling fans little bit bigger than I have, but exactly the same sound as in my 1080 GTX G1 Gaming. I don't think that the percentage of defective fans can be so big. Anyway, I just believe that it is a feature of these fans. The main thing that this noise doesn't affect the lifespan of the fans, at least I hope so. Incidentally, a manufacturer of fans from all vendors same. Absolutely does not matter what you buy the MSI or ASUS, brand fans the same - Power Logic.

Processor Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080
Storage SanDisk 1TB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2716DG + P2414H + P2214H
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) ODAC + O2
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 x64
Been talking to a few of my friends on Steam with this card. It seems as though they all have this problem and used a custom fan curve to mitigate it.

Don't get me wrong, this card is a champ at gaming and thermals, but I'm quite annoyed that Gigabyte still hasn't fixed this issue.

Bargiena

Been talking to a few of my friends on Steam with this card. It seems as though they all have this problem and used a custom fan curve to mitigate it.

Don't get me wrong, this card is a champ at gaming and thermals, but I'm quite annoyed that Gigabyte still hasn't fixed this issue.

Yeah, a custom fan curve "solves" the fan grinding problem, but causes absolutely awful coil whine. I prefer the grinding sound to the coil whine. Barely :banghead:

I would just like to know the reason behind this grinding sound. Why is this happening? Why do the fans spin so rapidly up and down until they reach 20%?

Bargiena

I would just like to know the reason behind this grinding sound. Why is this happening? Why do the fans spin so rapidly up and down until they reach 20%?

My guess is that once the fans fall below a certain RPM (say 500), they simply shut off. When the GPU hits 50C, the fan controller could be instructing the fans to spin at a speed below that threshold. So the fans start spinning and then immediately stop since the speed is too low. This happens over and over until the temperature drops below 50C or usage levels drop significantly. This is just what I'm guessing from watching the fan behavior in GPU-Z as I go about my normal activities.

My guess is that once the fans fall below a certain RPM (say 500), they simply shut off. When the GPU hits 50C, the fan controller could be instructing the fans to spin at a speed below that threshold. So the fans start spinning and then immediately stop since the speed is too low. This happens over and over until the temperature drops below 50C or usage levels drop significantly. This is just what I'm guessing from watching the fan behavior in GPU-Z as I go about my normal activities.

and what's that sound? bearing fans or something else?

Bargiena

and what's that sound? bearing fans or something else?

It's mostly just the sound of the fans coming to a forced stop and instantly trying to restart. Kinda similar to the sound they'd make if you stuck a pen between the blades while they were running or something.

It's mostly just the sound of the fans coming to a forced stop and instantly trying to restart. Kinda similar to the sound they'd make if you stuck a pen between the blades while they were running or something.

Do you think it is quite normal and not a defect?

Bargiena

Do you think it is quite normal and not a defect?

I don't think it's a defect with the fans themselves. It's a defect with the BIOS and the way they control the fan speeds. As annoying as the noise is, I doubt it will affect the lifespan of the fans much. Hopefully we'll get a new BIOS version soon.

Haven't heard anything from @Gigabyte-Gaming in awhile.

Last edited:

josefschnitzelbauer

I also have the same issue, thanks for digging up a video!
Using a custom MSI Afterburner or similiar programs will prevent the starting and stopping of the fans, but not the problem itself.
I honestly didn't expect this issue from an 800€+ card...

Guys, this is happening on the graphics card Gigabyte GTX 1060.

So, I talked to this guy and he's going to return the card to seller. A terrible noise happens when he set 70% of the fan speed. If he presses the card, near the fan, the sound disappears. This is seen in the video.

Last edited:
Guys, this is happening on the graphics card Gigabyte GTX 1060.

So, I talked to this guy and he's going to return the card to seller. A terrible noise happens when he set 70% of the fan speed. If he presses the card, near the fan, the sound disappears. This is seen in the video.
Oh my god, that's insane. I just hope this won't be the case for my gpu.

Oh my god, that's insane. I just hope this won't be the case for my gpu.

Of course not. If it were, then it would be just like this guy - immediatly.

I wrote in Gigabyte Technical Support about this sound, when the fans start spinning. They told me that the new BIOS will hardly solve this problem. I can contact the dealer and give the graphics card to test.

One guy told me that this sound is found in many graphics cards, regardless of the model. I remember that I did something similar to Sapphire R9 290X. There vibrating body of graphics card. Then I changed the graphics card, but on the other it was the same. I hope that the sound will not lead to anything serious, and is not a problem.

Of course not. If it were, then it would be just like this guy - immediatly.

I wrote in Gigabyte Technical Support about this sound, when the fans start spinning. They told me that the new BIOS will hardly solve this problem. I can contact the dealer and give the graphics card to test.

One guy told me that this sound is found in many graphics cards, regardless of the model. I remember that I did something similar to Sapphire R9 290X. There vibrating body of graphics card. Then I changed the graphics card, but on the other it was the same. I hope that the sound will not lead to anything serious, and is not a problem.
Well this is not good. I'm disappointed :(

Well this is not good. I'm disappointed :(
Well, in different countries technical support reply differently. I don't think that we need to replace the video card, I hope that the BIOS will solve the issue. And you did not try to press on the video card? The sound will be changed or not?