• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

solution for Webcam problem related to Win10 anniversary update

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Hello TPU I know this isnt new, but if it helps someone , im glad i posted it, so no need to post it can be found by googling., if any others are having this issue, i thought this info might help them as it did me.Photo is still Borked for ME tho, but video works in all aspects.
Once i upgraded to the new anniversary update on Win 10, My C920Pro shit the bed, and wouldn't work.*M$ apparently removed support, or something pertaining to the H264 codec* There IS a minor half solution that gives back SOME functionality by choosing to "update driver" in Dev manager, and selecting "choose my own media", and opting out of the Actual device, and instead choosing a "usb video device" as is shown Here.....

but that solution is crap, so there is another way with some simple regediting, that fixes it good as new, as far as i can tell. the solution was posted by Rafael Rivera (WithinRafael), and i have since applied it , and tested it, and it works perfectly. So here is that better option solution.

1-open regedit, navigate to the following location...
2-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform
3-Once you've reached the "platform" folder, right click it, and choose "new".
4-under "new" create a "Dword" entry,
5-when prompted to name it, give it the name "EnableFrameServerMode" *case sensitive*value is 0 (zero)
6-You can now back out, and Your H264 based cam SHOULD work fine.no restart was required for me.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm actually pretty astonished at the number of issues people have had with this latest update. For me, it didn't install properly the first time due to lack of space which it didn't calculate properly before starting, then after it worked (when I moved Doom to my RAID-5,) it decided to install an update while I was restarting to disable driver certificate enforcement to get my wi-fi driver re-installed (that it removed thanks to the update,) which did something very bad because before I could even get into Windows to install said driver, it was constantly BSODing.

This is the biggest issue I have with forcing updates. It's not that disagree with it in many cases but, for an update this large that can have widespread repercussions, it should have at least let users choose by a certain date by default (kind of like how using deferred updates works.)

So for me, gaming isn't really a huge thing anymore so I can deal without it for some period of time which is why I've decided not to re-install it right away, let MS smooth out some of the rough edges with this release and maybe when I get a bigger SSD, I'll actually start using it again. Until then, I'll wait patiently. Since I use my computer for work and professional development as a software engineer, I would rather my machine just work regardless of the OS because I don't have time to diagnose these kinds of issues on a regular basis (which I had to do when I upgraded to Windows 10 in the first place already.)

I really hope that Microsoft learns from this experience because they really shouldn't operate this way if the OS is left in a worse state than it was before.

Sorry for the rant but, I felt the need to say something given the number of threads I've seen with respect to these kinds of issues since the update.

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I'm actually pretty astonished at the number of issues people have had with this latest update. For me, it didn't install properly the first time due to lack of space which it didn't calculate properly before starting, then after it worked (when I moved Doom to my RAID-5,) it decided to install an update while I was restarting to disable driver certificate enforcement to get my wi-fi driver re-installed (that it removed thanks to the update,) which did something very bad because before I could even get into Windows to install said driver, it was constantly BSODing.

This is the biggest issue I have with forcing updates. It's not that disagree with it in many cases but, for an update this large that can have widespread repercussions, it should have at least let users choose by a certain date by default (kind of like how using deferred updates works.)

So for me, gaming isn't really a huge thing anymore so I can deal without it for some period of time which is why I've decided not to re-install it right away, let MS smooth out some of the rough edges with this release and maybe when I get a bigger SSD, I'll actually start using it again. Until then, I'll wait patiently. Since I use my computer for work and professional development as a software engineer, I would rather my machine just work regardless of the OS because I don't have time to diagnose these kinds of issues on a regular basis (which I had to do when I upgraded to Windows 10 in the first place already.)

I really hope that Microsoft learns from this experience because they really shouldn't operate this way if the OS is left in a worse state than it was before.

Sorry for the rant but, I felt the need to say something given the number of threads I've seen with respect to these kinds of issues since the update.

I can't speak for other issues related to the update, but regarding the disabling and or removal of the h264 codec it has affected my WebCam like crazy. As far as I know the c920 does it's encoding within the camera itself which likely attributes to it having so many problems. I did read that Microsoft is working on the problem and will be releasing a fix hopefully in September. I just can't wait that long and I don't even use Skype, I can't imagine what a pain it is for those who do use Skype

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Days later they released an update borking powershell.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
No what if you need your computers to run a business and all computers running windows 10,
I can imagine how frustrating that must be if there are constant issues after each windows 10 update.
:shadedshu: