• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces the First 7th Generation Core Processors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel takes computing to the next level with the 7th Gen Intel Core processor family. The 7th Gen Intel Core processors are designed for the immersive Internet and built on a strong foundation of the Skylake microarchitecture. Intel's latest 14 nm processors deliver more responsive performance than ever, fantastic entertainment and gaming, robust security, and even more natural, intuitive interactions with your PC. With incredible improvements that transform the viewing experience with 4K UHD videos, 360-degree videos , multiple video streams, and premium content playback, the 7th Gen Intel Core processors for mobile platforms enable a new way to enjoy the sharp and engaging content across a range of form factors.

Intel scales 7th Gen Intel Core processors to a variety of PC designs at a wide range of price points, which may include features such as Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C single-wire connection, low power premium audio and hassle-free facial recognition such as Windows Hello. Users can also expect to see PC designs based on 7th Gen Intel Core processors with a variety of intuitive input options such as touch, voice, and stylus.

This means you can
  • Create : Beautify 1400 photos in one minute
  • Multitask : Combine multiple 4K UHD videos into a highlight reel in 4 minutes while shopping and watching a movie
  • Game : Play your favorite games, like Overwatch, on-the-go, in HD
  • The 7th Gen Intel Core processors enable mobile designs that will allow faster 4K UHD creation and watching and streaming of 4K UHD content longer
  • New HEVC 10-bit decode capability delivers smooth premium content playback up to 4K UHD
  • New VP9 decode capability allows power efficient smooth 4K UHD,4K 360-degree playback while multitasking
  • Quickly and effortlessly create, edit and share 4K UHD 360° video 8X faster compared to a 5-year-old PC
  • Enjoy up to 9.5 hours of 4K video playback
Key benefits of the 7th Gen Intel Core processor family for mobile and desktop PCs include:

RESPONSIVE PERFORMANCE. 7th Gen Intel Core processors utilize a power-efficient microarchitecture, advanced process technology and silicon optimizations to deliver faster performance than previous generation processors. Web browsing is snappy and responsive with Intel Speed Shift Technology. On processors with Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology, performance and power is dynamically controlled - for cores and graphics - boosting performance precisely when it is needed, and saving energy when it counts. Both the Y-series and U-series processors support two cores and four threads with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel HT Technology), enabling compelling 2 in 1 designs and thin clamshells that achieve a unique balance between performance and mobility. PCs enabled with Microsoft Windows Modern Standby are able to wake immediately at the push of a button, so users don't have to wait for their system to start up.

RICH, IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE. Intel HD Graphics deliver advanced performance and the new media engine for captivating visuals.3 With 7th Gen Intel Core processors, users can easily watch, create, edit,share and game. With the ability to view premium content up to 4K UHD from more vendors, the 7th Gen Intel Core processor family allows users to enjoy amazing and vibrant multimedia experiences on compatible displays. It also enables powerful photo and video editing, multiple video streams, 360-degree videos, and high-resolution video chat. In addition, users can play their favorite PC games on the go in HD with fluid, texture-rich graphics. Finally, thanks to our new media engine with power-efficient VP9 and HEVC 10-bit hardware acceleration, 4K viewing and content creation is significantly improved versus previous generation processors.

SIMPLICITY AND CONVENIENCE. Notebooks with the versatile Thunderbolt 3 technology, the USB-C that does it all, provide an incredible I/O experience. A single cable conveniently supports up to 40 Gbps transfer speeds, two 4K 60 Hz displays, system charging up to 100W, external graphics, and Thunderbolt networking to bolster productivity. More designs supporting touch, voice and stylus input, intuitive interaction becomes prevalent with 7th Gen Intel Core processors, enabling users to simplify their interactions and unleash their creativity. On notebooks with cameras supporting Windows Hello facial recognition, users are able to securely log into a PC and websites hassle free.

EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE. With the 7th Gen Intel Core processor family further improving power efficiency at a processor and platform level, 7th Gen Intel Core processor-based systems have longer battery life and can utilize smaller batteries to enable even thinner and lighter systems. Dedicated
hardware acceleration reduces power consumption dramatically, enabling 3X longer battery life during local 4K video playback. With the Y-processor family, 2 in 1s and clamshells are reimagined, enabling thin and fanless designs for ultra-mobility. On U-series processors, enhanced productivity and creativity are possible in increasingly slim form factors.

I/O SUPPORT. I/O in U and Y series 7th Gen Intel Core processors offers Gen 3 PCIe support, supporting higher data transfer rates of 8 GT/s versus 5 GT/s with PCIe Gen 2. The latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology supports NVMe PCIe x4 solid state drives and is capable of utilizing Gen 3 PCIe Speeds. The Intel Context Sensing SDK for the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution allows third-party software vendors to develop exciting sensor-enhanced applications.

This announcement of new 7 th Gen Intel Core processors will include
  • Intel Core m3 processor
  • Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7 processors

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
All that for a new GPU that we usually disable in bios...

AMD, really help us, they are already showeling us 1.7 grand $$$$ desktop CPU parts to us...

PS.

I had to start some whining :D

We want full HW encodeing/decoding of HEVC !! Not partial acceleration.

HTPC can't actually run a x265 in 1080p at any decent bitrate. I cannot go farther than 720p (and it's still limited on the bitrate.

I don't want to use my DVD's and Bluray's every time I need them so I put them in my NAS, and without x265 it's taking to much space, especially for series.
Also x265 is quite slow to encode so ...

Edit : and we don't fucking care about 4K ... it's useless without a decent HW decoding in HEVC

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
2 cores, 4 threads, thats..... great, for 2010... but here we are on the last part of 2016....

So we could get essentially the same performance from any older generation by overclocking it and it will use slightly more power. I3-4160 with a better graphics card will net you a overall better experience unless you plan on running your computer off a solar panel or have some strange space constraint, and it will be half the price.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
We want full HW encodeing/decoding of HEVC !!

The moment you realize that even your phone is capable doing that is even more funny.

We want full HW encodeing/decoding of HEVC !! Not partial acceleration.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10610...six-notebook-skus-desktop-coming-in-january/3
10 bit HEVC decode is fully hardware (iGPU) supported. Intel could also update Skyale iGPUs, since they aren't even old.
As for encoding I don't know because the last time I tried iGPU encoding it was basically a h.264 profile designed by Intel for Intel iGPU and didn't have many options. But other applications integrate QuickSync differently and they will definetly appreciate this. But for purists CPU decode is the way to go.

HTPC can't actually run a x265 in 1080p at any decent bitrate. I cannot go farther than 720p (and it's still limited on the bitrate.
They can. Get a better CPU, my Core 2 Duo also couldn't decode HEVC because it was nearly 10 years old and HEVC demands better CPU in exchange for more complex compression.

I don't want to use my DVD's and Bluray's every time I need them so I put them in my NAS, and without x265 it's taking to much space, especially for series.
Also x265 is quite slow to encode so ...
No pain, no gain. HEVC is more complex to encode but because of this complexity it also saves you space.

Edit : and we don't fucking care about 4K ... it's useless without a decent HW decoding in HEVC
It can.

System Name it needs a name?
Processor Xeon E3-1241 v3 @3.5GHz- standard clock
Motherboard Asus Z97A 3.1
Cooling Bequiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, 2 x 140mm intake and 1 x 120mm exhaust PWM fans in the case
Memory 16 GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8 GB
Video Card(s) Palit 980ti Super Jetscream
Storage Sandisk X110 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, 640GB WD Blue, 12TB Ultrastar
Display(s) Acer XB270HU
Case Lian Li PC 7H
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB interface
Power Supply Seasonic P660
Mouse cheapo logitech wireless
Keyboard some keyboard from the 90's
Software Win10pro 64bit
I so wish they would chill out with the on board graphics on mid to high end cpus.

Nobody wants them, nobody wants to pay extra for them and no one wants the extra heat from them.

Intel should just admit they lost the graphics war years ago and concentrate on what they are good at.

I so wish they would chill out with the on board graphics on mid to high end cpus.

Nobody wants them, nobody wants to pay extra for them and no one wants the extra heat from them.

Intel should just admit they lost the graphics war years ago and concentrate on what they are good at.

Actually, I want iGPU on every CPU, even on Xeons. But I don't need them to be powerful. Just enough for 1080p video playback would be sufficient.

Not everyone's a gamer.

Cooling Bequiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, 2 x 140mm intake and 1 x 120mm exhaust PWM fans in the case
Storage Sandisk X110 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, 640GB WD Blue, 12TB Ultrastar
Display(s) Acer XB270HU
Case Lian Li PC 7H
Software Win10pro 64bit
Actually, I want iGPU on every CPU, even on Xeons. But I don't need them to be powerful. Just enough for 1080p video playback would be sufficient.
In what situation would you use the igpu?

All that for a new GPU that we usually disable in bios...

AMD, really help us, they are already showeling us 1.7 grand $$$$ desktop CPU parts to us...

PS.

I had to start some whining :D

Why would u disable it in the bios? It's silly. U can still get it helping to accelerate certain things while using a dedicated GPU

In what situation would you use the igpu?

When I don't use dGPU? or just a media PC which I have. It has i3-4130 and I use its iGPU to play video.

There are plenty of situations where I don't need dGPU. If iGPU is powerful enough, then I won't need dGPU.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Why would u disable it in the bios? It's silly. U can still get it helping to accelerate certain things while using a dedicated GPU

Kitten videos? I don't like two different GPU vendor drivers in my OS rising DPC and possible bugs that both of them sometimes have. Each of them often have enough bugs. Usually if you have a dedicated card don't mess with it. Use it.

Dedicated poor mans PC or HTPC is a different story. Unless you want gaming again.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Is this still expected to drop in to Z170 boards?

Have to be honest, as long as there's significant perf/watt improvements and it drops in to z170 boards, I'm definitely hopping on this train.

Display(s) Acer XB270HU
Case Lian Li PC 7H
Software Win10pro 64bit
When I don't use dGPU? or just a media PC which I have. It has i3-4130 and I use its iGPU to play video.

There are plenty of situations where I don't need dGPU. If iGPU is powerful enough, then I won't need dGPU.
Yes igpu can be useful for servers, laptops, media pc's etc.

But I don't see why almost every chip has to have it.

edit- Personally in any case I'd prefer to use any old graphics card, just so the cpu can get on with its job and not devote time and memory to graphics.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
And hey... where's the USB 3.1? I don't give a crap about Thunderbolt :D

edit- Personally in any case I'd prefer to use any old graphics card, just so the cpu can get on with its job and not devote time and memory to graphics.

iGPU is also very, very, handy when your PC is having issues. Ruling out GPU issue is one less headache to deal with.

My workload is very CPU intensive and have very little to do with GPU. RAM is aplenty these days and I don't mind iGPU taking 1 gb or 2 if needed. If iGPU can be as good as Nvidia 950m, then I would ditch my dGPU.

As far as I know, iGPU adds 4w to TDP (ish) for desktop iGPU.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Is this still expected to drop in to Z170 boards?
Your having a leg pulling larf
its INTEL New CPU (revised) New motherboard and Chipset

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)

There were some options for hardware acceleration from the iGPU (Intel Quick Sync, for example) that I was hoping would compliment a dedicated graphics card. Also, it could be used to bump up OpenCL performance too. (Not by much, but it'd be gains similar to what people get from overclocking. Getting those gains without having to push anything past stock speeds is not a bad way to go.)
Your having a leg pulling larf
its INTEL New CPU (revised) New motherboard and Chipset
Believe me when I say I really, really hate linking to WFCTech as a source for anything, but it sounds like it should be compatible with the 100-series chipsets. It's not much more than a die shrink, right? Tick tock?
The worst source ever said:
Another crucial feature of the new lineup is that not only will the Kaby Lake processors be compatible with the current 100-series motherboards but Skylake processors, available today, will also be compatible with the 200-series platform. This cross-generation support will be quite useful, not only for new users but also existing user base that may see the need to update to faster processors in the Kaby Lake-S lineup. Intel’s disruptive Optane SSDs and DIMMs will be a major feature set for the 200-series chipset as the faster storage solutions will not only result in responsive PCs but also better system utilization that is otherwise bottlenecked by conventional HDDs and even some older SSDs.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

That's 90+% of the market. Do you really need to ask why they put iGPUs in everything? they make iGPU less CPUs, you just have to pay $1500+ because most of the market doesnt care about not having an iGPU that doesnt impact their PC negatively in any way.

in any halfway decent desktop, the CPU will not be hindered by the iGPU running. You act like having the iGPU used system performance tanks. If any old GPU will do, the demand wont be anywhere near high enough to cause slowdowns of any kind.

EDIT_ actually, the only CPUs that are hindered by the gpu running are AMD's. None of intels chips run slower when the iGPU is being used.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
If they dont clock much better i'm more interested in sticking my skylake chip in a z270 board than buying another 4c8t chip

And before it goes too off topic on whether people use onboard gpu's or not, bear in mind they do lots of chips with a with/without gpu variant, some of us would just like to see a k chip without it as well as the current k's with gpu

edit: just realised there hasnt been a gpu-less i5/7 since ivybridge, i never noticed as they continued to make chips with a p suffix (which used to denote no gpu on ivy and sandy

Last edited:
People remember DX12 which can use multiple GPUs and the fact that it won't be any cheaper if it comes without the GPU (stock coolers anyone?)!

Processor Intel Core i7 8700K
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING AC
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Dell S2417DG 165Hz
Case NZXT H400i
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Cooler Master - Masterkeys Pro L RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
I have my 2nd monitor hooked to the iGPU, it does everything i need/want for my 2nd monitor. I would like that option remain to me thank you.

Why are people moaning about not being able to play/encode HEVC on their cpu's? Works fine on my old 4770K.

Encoded a 1080p x264 of 11.4 GB into a h265 hevc file of only 1.55 GB in about an hour using Handbrake and i can't tell the difference in image quality tbh. Not even on my 135 inch projection.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I have my 2nd monitor hooked to the iGPU, it does everything i need/want for my 2nd monitor. I would like that option remain to me thank you.

Why are people moaning about not being able to play/encode HEVC on their cpu's? Works fine on my old 4770K.

Encoded a 1080p x264 of 11.4 GB into a h265 hevc file of only 1.55 GB in about an hour using Handbrake and i can't tell the difference in image quality tbh. Not even on my 135 inch projection.
iGPUs for extra monitors for life! Extremely useful for so many things.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Not everyone's a gamer.

There are plenty of Xeons with iGPUs. The ones without are there so Intel has a place to sell the dies with damaged IGPUs.

Reactions: xvi