• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SMT and Power Management Behind "Kaby Lake" and "ZEN" Windows 10 Restrictions

BlueFalcon

why? - is another way to force implementation of win10....

Every launch of the next version of Windows is always accompanied by hate and negativity surrounding it, while these same users start defending the older version of Windows as the best ever! Not only does Windows 10 combine all the best features of Windows 7 and 8.1, but it also runs, boots, restarts, goes to sleep and wakes up faster than either Windows 7 or 8/8.1. On top of it, it has extra perks such as DX12 gaming support, ability to more freely multi-task seamlessly (multiple desktops, 4 separate quadrants on the screen, run 2 excel files side-by-side, etc.), and performs faster on slower systems than either Windows 7 or 8/8.1. Additionally, the upgrade was offered for free for an entire year. It's actually still possible to get the upgrade using Windows Assistive Technologies. I've used Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10 and W10 is the best Windows yet. Considering Windows 10 is going to be incrementally updated by MS over the next 5+ years, or even more, it makes no sense to stick to old Windows 7-8.1 versions for someone building a new system in 2016-2017.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
That's only supposed to be, legally, for people who use assistive tech.. that said, I agree with the rest of your post. :)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's kind of silly not to support the most popular O.S. (W7) to make it faster and more secure, especially when people already bought it and like it.

They are making it more secure though. That's the purpose of the "extended support" phase.

Microsoft can try to scare people on to Windows 10 all they want, but a lot will never move. 7 is the end of the line as far as Windows is concerned, for me, as it is with many individuals and businesses. Loss of control, lack of security and foisting of tablet like UI and Windows Store are too much.

This is purely a scare tactic anyway. Intel have sometimes toed the 'Wintel' line before, aligning with MS, but I doubt they do here, and AMD certainly won't.

There's a roughly 0% chance of AMD not writing drivers for W7 and W8(.1) for Zen. They want to sell chips and regain market share. They're not concerned with MS' shenanigans.

I'd say there's less than 20% chance of Intel not releasing them, because if they don't, then they lose all those sales W7 and W8.1 sales to AMD.

Indeed, MS will most likely climb down quickly themselves when the time comes, when large companies tell them they'll be moving to 'nix.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Microsoft can try to scare people on to Windows 10 all they want, but a lot will never move. 7 is the end of the line as far as Windows is concerned, for me, as it is with many individuals and businesses. Loss of control, lack of security and foisting of tablet like UI and Windows Store are too much.

This is purely a scare tactic anyway. Intel have sometimes toed the 'Wintel' line before, aligning with MS, but I doubt they do here, and AMD certainly won't.

There's a roughly 0% chance of AMD not writing drivers for W7 and W8(.1) for Zen. They want to sell chips and regain market share. They're not concerned with MS' shenanigans.

I'd say there's less than 20% chance of Intel not releasing them, because if they don't, then they lose all those sales W7 and W8.1 sales to AMD.

Indeed, MS will most likely climb down quickly themselves when the time comes, when large companies tell them they'll be moving to 'nix.

So what do you think companies will just never upgrade past 7? Fucking lagards. Guess what they will upgrade to 10 it will just take time, just like the upgrade to 7 from XP.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10

Intel and AMD both officially have said that they will support only Win10 on Kaby Lake/ZEN.
Large companies have started moving to Win10, or at least have pilots running. Trust me, there won't be mass exodus to Linux.

Intel and AMD both officially have said that they will support only Win10 on Kaby Lake/ZEN.
Large companies have started moving to Win10, or at least have pilots running. Trust me, there won't be mass exodus to Linux.

Yep. Working for an msp that supports over 100 small to medium size businesses quite a few have upgraded to 10. If they have legacy software that will only support 7 they leave the machines that need it on 7. Most currently produced and supported software will run on 10 and if it doesn't right now it will soon. Not a ton of reasons to not upgrade.

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
RHEL gets 7-10 years of support (depends how old you go). But that's an enterprise product and even that doesn't get support for newer CPU architectures. I think RHEL5 is stuck somewhere at Haswell.

So does MS. 5 years mainstream + 5 years extended support.

RHEL on the other hand has a 7-10 year support length, with shorter intermediary phases that you are supposed to intermediately upgrade to (very Windows 10-like actually). On those versions, you also skip a lot of feature upgrades, and in order for their support cycle to work at all, RH (and others) spend a lot of time and money backporting stuff from newer bits.

I've heard this batch of arguments around 2006-2009 when people were clinging to their XP machines like limpets. I've heard the same around the early 2000s when XP launched and people clung to their 98SE machines just as hard. Happens every cycle, and every time they suck it up eventually or move away from Windows.

For a lot of companies, moving away from Windows isn't really much of an option. Between Windows-only software (Active Directory, MSOffice, Exchange for example), support contracts (commercial support for RHEL or Debian ain't free... and if you don't have a support contract, you almost always need to hire in-house talent to do it for you), the cost of porting stuff/migrating to new equivalent solutions, training employees and other things I've probably forgotten, it just doesn't make sense.