• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Aggressively Clearing Inventory to Make Room for ZEN

What exactly is a problem with clearing inventory for a new products? To be truthful, AMD CPU/APU aren't exactly high-end, and having their price reduced on a bang-per-buck market NOW can't be a bad things. They may end up giving noticeably better value, compared to low-cost intel offering (if no price is adjusted, and intel history, well, doesn't raise hope of 'clearing last (few) generations by reducing costs').

I, for example, would have a need to make few low-spec systems with integrated GPU, for my family. If 'cleaning inventory' allows me to do it for 20-30$ less (I suppose MB may reduce prices, too) than currently - well, that's a 20-30$ saved for me (and more, since I think I'll need two, maybe three). Highly unlikely that anyone using them would ever need Cinema 4D (3,500$) or constantly (if ever) use Handbrake for video-compression - computers in question need just to support web-surfing, FHD video reproduction, LibreOffice, light gaming and occasionally something extra.

Yes, Zen will likely be much better and probably cost more than 'reduced price current products', but its real-life performance isn't known yet. Intel budget offering are probably bit better for current asking price, but question would be - would they still be better (price/performance) than reduced AMDs?

IF prices of current AMD CPU/APUs are lowered enough, then I'll seriously consider them and do what AMD wants - buy a product on a few years old technology that is scheduled to be replaced.

That being said, and IF and WHEN details regarding this are available, perhaps we could even have new benchmarks, focusing on performance/price ratios? And with, perhaps, results appropriate for this segment aside from standard ones? As I said, in this price-range, users are unlikely to ever use costly software and extreme-gaming results (4k), yet final results seem always to include them - those users also probably don't consider buying GTX1080 (or any discrete GPU, for that matter) and certainly doesn't plan to play games in 4k resolution. In short, *some* tests are inappropriate for *some* price groups - would be nice having a test concentrating on what those components *can* do, compared to similarly-priced ones, instead ones listing 5fps for new and shiny AAA title in 4k. Especially if same does 30fps in FHD with medium details.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
IF prices of current AMD CPU/APUs are lowered enough, then I'll seriously consider them and do what AMD wants - buy a product on a few years old technology that is scheduled to be replaced.

I picked up this FX8300 for 100 bucks... Seems to require a lot of volts to reach 4.8 (around 1.575), but 4.6 is more tolerable at 1.47v. I'm happy with it, but wouldn't recommend it--unless you live in the tundra somewhere (this thing can heat my whole room).

If the 8350 comes down in price to 100, it would be worth it, especially with some of the newer motherboards out there. My wife's 8350 uses WAY less volts to achieve the same Mhz.... Haven't messed with hers much, she starts getting mad when Windows doesn't boot. If I have to clear CMOS she goes ape-shit, lol.

Technically these CPU's are still capable of doing the latest things. It just comes with a small higher power amount. You can still tweak the CPU in a positive way, at least it's more fun then Intel.

The 9570 was brought back with -60 watts on total consumption while retaining original clockspeeds. Takes a few hours, lots of coffee but it works.

However, this is not your genuine 8-core chip but 4c/8t with a shared scheduler. Even my Phenom 1055T did faster on Lynx bench because it had more real cores.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Microcenter always has the best price and combine with $40 combo discount on a motherboard, attractive.

FX9590 is currently selling at the same price as FX8370 (of course you need a good cooler).

But why release in Early January? Should they not release during holidays? That's when we empty our pockets:laugh:

System Name AM4 / 775
Processor 2600x / C2D E7600
Motherboard B450 Aorus / ASUS P5G41C-M LX
Cooling TT Esports Duo / Chinesium cooler
Memory 16GB DDR4 3ghz / 4GB DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2060 Super / 5700-XT / GTX 650Ti
Storage 120GB + 1TB SSD / 160GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT shit chassis modded / Coolermaster Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster FX / Audigy 2 ZX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III GOLD / BeQuiet 450w bronze.
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Read Dragon Kumara
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 1 Billion
I really hope they succeed. Just think of the benefits of real competition:

- Midrange products at midrange prices, not top end prices
- Top end products at semi-reasonable prices. No outrageously expensive $1200 graphics cards like Titan X
- Top end products to feature the full GPU instead of the cut down one we have to accept today with no option to buy the uncut version
- Finally get to see true 8-core CPUs from AMD and Intel at the current prices of top end quad core ones

I'd really like to see AMD top Intel and NVIDIA next year and bring about this blissful utopia.

Ah, one can dream. :ohwell:

Hurahhh to that!

4870 days. Athlon 64 days (with better prices)

Bring it AMD!