• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's ZEN to Implement Advanced Security Features not found in Intel's solutions

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Thanks to AMD's incorporation of an ARM-based "AMD Secure Processor" in their upcoming ZEN micro-architecture, the company is poised to offer something competitor Intel's microprocessors yet don't: memory encryption. This processor, and its underlying technologies, could prove to be a stepping-stone for AMD towards regaining lost server market share. Essentially, because in a market ever more steered by cloud computing considerations, it allows for the client's data to be encrypted at every moment of the work chain. Assuming all works as intended, for the first time not even cloud providers, with either hypervisor-level privileges or even physical access to the servers, will be able to carry out any malicious actions against their clients.

One only has to consider the writing on the wall: Morgan Stanley predicts that by 2018, 30% of Microsoft's revenue will stem from its cloud services; Amazon Web Services (AWS) generated $7.88B in revenue on Q4 2015, up 69% over 2014; and worldwide spending on public cloud services by itself will grow from $70B in 2015 to an estimated $141B in 2019. Cloud computing is here to stay, and with security being as important as it is for some businesses, this is an important area of investment for AMD. This "AMD Secure Processor" will work on essentially two fronts: SME (Secure Memory Encryption) and SEV (Secure Encrypted Virtualization), backed by an hardware-based SHA (Secure Hash Algorithm).

According to AMD's Memory Encryption Whitepaper, SME works by leveraging the Secure Processor in encrypting data (using a 128-bit AES encryption key) when it is written to DRAM, effectively putting an end to the last redoubt of Cleartext-stored data. This becomes increasingly important when one considers the advent of NVDIMM (non volatile memory), which if left unencrypted, would be much more vulnerable to physical removal and subsequent cloning of its contents than currently employed solutions. This encryption key is randomly generated by the Secure Processor on each system reset, and is never accessible by any software running on the CPU cores. Furthermore, AMD states that the encryption impact on performance (namely, latency on memory accesses) is, quote, "very small", even when the entirety of the addressable memory is encrypted, but especially considering the Security Processor's ability to encrypt only specific memory pages, and not the entire amount of used RAM.

SEV, on the other hand, solves the problem with the traditional ring-based security system, where customer's code runs at a lower privilege level than the hypervisor. In essence, this means that in ring-based security, the hypervisor can have access to the guest's (ie., client's) data. With SEV, that will no longer be the case, isolating the hypervisor and the client's resources, as well as different client's workloads running on the same machine. Each of these workloads, as well as the hypervisor, will have their code and data tagged and separately encrypted, guaranteeing that each time the encrypted data is accessed by code with an incorrect encryption tag, all it sees is its encrypted state. SEV differs from SME in that in this case, the hypervisor must interact with the Secure Processor in order for the encryption to occur. It informs the Secure Processor that an encrypted VM (Virtual Machine) is going to run, and passes to the server's Secure Processor the needed certificates and exchange key which, in turn, allows the Secure Processor to load the appropriate, unique AES key.

With the ever-expanding computing requirements of businesses and customers worldwide being increasingly serviced by servers on the so-called cloud, the need for increased security becomes more and more of a concern for service-providers. According to The 2016 Global Cloud Data Security Study, 60% of IT professionals consider it to be more difficult to protect confidential or sensitive information in the cloud. At the same time, it's estimated that globally, 36% of organization's total IT and data processing needs are met by cloud resources. This is expected to increase to 45% over the next two years.

And with 86% of the study's respondents claiming encryption will become even more important over the next two years, this feature disparity between AMD and Intel's solutions could prove to be an ace up AMD's sleeve in regaining some of its lost server market share from its glory days.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Next we will need encryption on the data in the cache...

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Software Windows 10 x64
Hey there everyone.

Currently proving myself to TPU's staff, so, here's my first news post. I hope you enjoy reading through it.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Hopefully this leads to AMD getting marketshare in servers. They need design wins, and we need a strong AMD.

This could also be useful for laptops/2 in 1s. Perhaps OEMs will give AMD a fair shot here.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Hey there everyone.

Currently proving myself to TPU's staff, so, here's my first news post. I hope you enjoy reading through it.

Great, keep on ! interesting read btw

Hey there everyone.

Well its a good effort and a decent read, tho i have to say some sentence structures sound weird in my head, like they were written in another language and translated into english which doesn't always sound right in the end, also proof read your work thouroughly before submitting, stepping-stone at the beginning is missing the second 's', and lastly you dont need to write so much, get on the topic and be concise, im sure you'll get the hang of everything shortly and i wish you the best of luck at TPU.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Well its a good effort and a decent read, tho i have to say some sentence structures sound weird in my head, like they were written in another language and translated into english which doesn't always sound right in the end, also proof read your work thouroughly before submitting, stepping-stone at the beginning is missing the second 's', and lastly you dont need to write so much, get on the topic and be concise, im sure you'll get the hang of everything shortly and i wish you the best of luck at TPU.

I don't agree with the "and lastly you dont need to write so much". It's nice to see a complete article and not feeling the need to start googling around. Writing about a motherboard, yes, you don't have to mention all the USB ports on it, but when you have a new security feature on a new processor, it's preferable to also have a nice little explanation about it, than just saying "Zen will be more secure, because of new security features, google is you friend, the end.".

PS "im" "dont" "thouroughly"... :p

@Raevenlord
That's a really nice FIRST article. Don't worry, soon it will become easier and if you like news posting, an everyday habit.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
Would you have a decent analysis of what this piece of news is, or would you rather like a transcript of the press release?
The analysis can't be more concise, the English is (somewhat) better than most, non American, news sites and you should proof read your own posts

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
Hey there everyone.

why your nickname is not green?

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Finally I can safely browse the...deep web :O

I think the consumers just want fast cores AMD rather than these gimmicks. The CPU can be the most secure ever, but if its slow no one will buy that.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
I think the consumers just want fast cores AMD rather than these gimmicks. The CPU can be the most secure ever, but if its slow no one will buy that.
The consumer probably, the enterprises will probably love it. And those selling Cloud services can charge more for those ultra secure servers. And it wouldn't matter if the CPUs are slower, because higher costs for more secure cloud services, also means less customers for those services, so those servers will be less crowded(but they will be returning more profits to the company offering those services).

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Software Windows 10 x64

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not used to writing for a tech audience, so it might have something to do with that. That said, I'm sure I will get it better in time.

Regarding length, I tried to keep it as concise as possible, whilst going into as much detail as I considered relevant to you guys, without meandering into TL;DR territory (we've all been there, after all).

@Raevenlord
That's a really nice FIRST article. Don't worry, soon it will become easier and if you like news posting, an everyday habit.

Thanks, john_, I believe that's exactly the case.

Welcome, I hope you dont fall asleep on job like Btarunner used to do.

Ahh, I'm not sure that won't happen, but alas, your concern has been noted and well received :roll:

The consumer probably, the enterprises will probably love it. And those selling Cloud services can charge more for those ultra secure servers. And it wouldn't matter if the CPUs are slower, because higher costs for more secure cloud services, also means less customers for those services, so those servers will be less crowded(but they will be returning more profits to the company offering those services).

That's exactly the target audience for this kind of technology, I'd wager. The everyday consumer might not think of it (though some tech-savvy users might want to make use of it), but for enterprises, I believe this is the natural and needed development. Ring-based security always needed that compromise of trusting the service provider. Now, not so much.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
Hey there everyone.

enjoyed reading your 1st news post; i'm not a tech in this domain but understood it as you took the time to explain all clear&simple.

have one question related to news post:

i open news(with pictures) from front page and i can preview pictures and close them having the article in background
i open same news but from forum/news, if i watch one picture this is opened in a new page, forcing me to go back one page to view again the article , as i can't preview them...; isn't possible as above?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i open news(with pictures) from front page and i can preview pictures and close them having the article in background
i open same news but from forum/news, if i watch one picture this is opened in a new page, forcing me to go back one page to view again the article , as i can't preview them...; isn't possible as above?
I understand the problem you are describing, but it's a technical limitation that's not easily fixed, due to how we use the forum for article storage.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
I understand the problem you are describing, but it's a technical limitation that's not easily fixed, due to how we use the forum for article storage.

thanks for reply W1zz!

maybe is solvable but i'm not familiar with the script and can't help unfortunately.....

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Hey there everyone.

This likely means I got eliminated then from the news editor application show, doesn't it? I can't say I'm surprised, my work history is... nothing. :laugh:

Congrats man. You seem to be an excellent news writer from this piece, and are well suited for this work if you can keep that grade up.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Software Windows 10 x64
Congrats man. You seem to be an excellent news writer from this piece, and are well suited for this work if you can keep that grade up.

Thanks a lot, R-T-B :toast: Hope to keep you guys interested.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Hey there everyone.

As a first post I'd say good job && well done! A comprehensive and well-rounded post, I'd say.
But as a news post it kinda fails, as this information has been known for well over a half a year now – ever since AMD pushed those patches to the linux kernel, implementing support for these features. xP
Either way, hope to see more of Your posts soon, as You really seem to have a knack for writing good, comprehensive and detailed articles.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Sounds neat, but has physical server security been an issue? But, it does impart that warm and fuzzy feeling, it's a good server feature.

Audio Device(s) onboard
System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Sounds neat, but has physical server security been an issue? But, it does impart that warm and fuzzy feeling, it's a good server feature.

Sure, this is a feature where servers and enterprise applications of hardware will benefit the most. But it doesn't mean it's useless for a consumer. To the contrary:
for a regular consumer this means:
  • Makes cold boot attacks unviable. This is mostly a privacy concern as it can be and is used by authorities to recover encryption keys from a running system.
  • Potentially makes DMA attacks useless. (i.e. does not protect against it, just makes it read garbage, i.e. useless)
  • Potentially makes "ring -3" attacks useless. i.e. stuff like the gapping hardware backdoor in Intel ME would theoretically be useless, just like a DMA attack
(warning: I am by no means an expert, take whatever I wrote with a grain of salt)

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial