• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Claws Back Console Chips Business: Nintendo Switch Announced

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
After months of speculation, the lid is off Nintendo's "NX" project, with the company finally announcing today its much-awaited games console, the Nintendo Switch. With an expected release slated for March 2017, the console blurs the line between a games console and a handheld device, by making use of a docking station which will allow it to connect to a television, much like a traditional games console, while instantly entering a so called "portable mode" when it is undocked. As both a console and a portable device, the Nintendo Switch will use cartridges known as Game Cards, displaying games in a "high definition display" embedded on the console while on the go, with two detachable Joy-Con controllers stepping in as input devices.

For PC hardware enthusiasts, that may not be all too interesting. What is arguably more interesting is that this games console will make use of NVIDIA hardware: most notably, a custom Tegra processor is the one pulling out all of the console's processing needs, with the graphics being served by what the company calls "the same architecture as the world's top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards."

According to an NVIDIA blog post, the Nintendo Switch's gaming experience is supported not only by custom hardware design with its Tegra chip, but also by leveraging "fully custom software", including "a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries." According to NVIDIA, new gaming APIs were created so as to fully harness the Tegra processor's performance, with their newest API, NVN, being built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses. The console also features hardware-accelerated video playback, as well as custom software for audio effects and rendering. All of this is delivered through a custom operating system, devised for full system integration with the GPU in a bid to increase both performance and efficiency.

After having successfully embedded their technology in Microsoft's XBOX One and Sony's PS4 and upcoming PS4 Pro, as well as the troubled Nintendo Wii U, AMD had effectively achieved full control of the console gaming ecosystem (not counting the many Android systems in the same vein, such as the OUYA, for example). This design win by NVIDIA may come as a surprise, after a company representative's past remarks regarding console's design wins resulted in razor-thin margins, which was purportedly the reason NVIDIA chose not to pursue the XBOX ONE, PS4 or Wii U designs with their own technology. One could however argue that AMD's IP portfolio was better suited for any one of those consoles, due to the company also being able to develop x86-x64 CPUs. At the same time, it can also be argued that NVIDIA's own product line is, in this case, the best match for the Switch's design philosophy, considering that the GPU technology integrated within the custom Tegra chip is almost certainly more energy efficient than AMD's current offerings (considering, of course, NVIDIA's Pascal undisputed energy efficiency over AMD's latest GCN implementation). All things considered, though, it does seem like AMD still has control of the living room - at least when it comes to their respective implementation's power levels and PC-relevant characteristics.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Boy, Nintendo keeps failing, now.

Good luck. What happened to a real console?

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Not sure what is so troubled about the WiiU, I mean yeah its not selling as much as the others but with that criteria everything but the most succesfull product in a category can be considered "troubled".

Anywho, pretty cool I guess, hope those rendered images are not final though I mean, what is up with that "D-pad" being 4 buttons... come on nintendo you have a damn patent on the traditional D-pad, use that thing!

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Boy, Nintendo keeps failing, now.

Good luck. What happened to a real console?

weird thing to say, Nintendo is failing about as much as Trump is winning.

This looks like a hybrid of Nvidia Shield merged with Wii controllers.

What kind of success did the Wii U have ?

Those screens of multiple people using it with the tiny controllers make me think. "Just get a bigger tablet" or probably for the price of one of these each person can get their own tablet.

Last edited:
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
What is going to matter is how well the API works and how easy it is to design games on it. Tegra unfortunately is not used widely enough to really have a bunch of third party support so its going to almost be a fresh start on it. Though I guess most consoles in the past were all custom so its not that different from the past. Wonder how powerful the chip is?

Dunno, friend and I are arguing over how well the switch will do. I still believe its going to come down to not only its performance, but if Nintendo can actually amass a decent game library this go round. They can only rely on Mario and Zelda for so long...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
This looks like a hybrid of Nvidia Shield merged with Wii controllers.

What kind of success did the Wii U have ?

Very poor, we have one, and the load times, USB issues with hard drives that only pull 500mv, lack of games compared to other consoles, constantly changing Nintendo signup bullshit...... its fine to play if every time you start it everyone is OK with a 5 minute warm up, controllers dropping out, constant parasitic battery drain, some controllers are unsupported/lack of aftermarket product choice. We have the small controller, Amibo's (take forever and have to set them down on the gamepad to work = design failure) the afterglow controllers and nunchucks (cause more wires make it better somehow?/design failure) and a 500GB USB drive that drops unless I use a powered USB hub, and strangely enough, without the powered USBhub the controllers drop a lot, but with it plugged in only occasionally.

There are games that shine on the WiiU, but there are also games that flop hard, and unfortunately the majority of designers aren't interested in another system architecture to code for with its odd chips, file system and OS. With other consoles and PC being on a common platform, unless they are going to Android, I believe this will flop harder than a diabetic at an ice cream eating contest.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I have one, yes only ONE, game for my Wii U : Xenoblade Chronicles.

Yeeeah. Wii U sucked, not the console, but its game selection. Let's hope this one does better, game selection wise. Enough with Super Mario and Zelda crap. Bring on some new stuff, Nintendo.

This could turn out to be Vita MK 2.

System Name Tingle
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16 GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB + WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2515H + Eizo FlexScan S2231W
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum Series 660W v2
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have one, yes only ONE, game for my Wii U : Xenoblade Chronicles.

Yeeeah. Wii U sucked, not the console, but its game selection. Let's hope this one does better, game selection wise. Enough with Super Mario and Zelda crap. Bring on some new stuff, Nintendo.

This could turn out to be Vita MK 2.
I agree with Mario, but not Zelda.. Zelda best :peace:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The Wii U is the worst selling console in Nintendo's history. Utterly abysmal sales when compared to the original Wii

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

I think the main reason is that it is so under powered that 3rd party publishers shunned it. The Nintendo exclusives did pretty good though.

I disagree with the low powered part, the system was good enough for the cartoonish graphics we have come to expect from Nintendo. The issue is the hard to program for system, and many other limitations imposed by the hardware design itself. Power/Cell processor with all sorts of add on items on the board. Instead of focusing on the primary strength of the gamepad(s), let the kids play while parents still watch TV by allowing two gamepads http://nintendonews.com/opinion/play-dual-wii-u-gamepad-games/, or they can watch netflix, hulu, youtube etc.... the range should have been doubled at least, kids go to bed parents can play games that existed on the gamepad only like old NES or N64 games. They fucked up the implementation and are seem to be now bent on doubling down on that failure.

A9 ARM CPU's alone would be better than a walled garden of Tegra, they could port Android onto it quickly, add a piece of hardware for security, allow the games from android, eliminate the android tablet market for holiday sales by allowing a gamepad to function as a tablet as well, and connect and play platform specific games.

As far as I can see, the console era I used to know is coming to an end. Actually, it has ended already when Playstation 3 was succeeded.

The hardware progression is too fast for consoles now. Console used to be a gaming machine you could have for 5 ~ 10 years without further investment. Now, consoles have lifepan of 2 years or so.

As far as I can see, the console era I used to know is coming to an end. Actually, it has ended already when Playstation 3 was succeeded.

The hardware progression is too fast for consoles now. Console used to be a gaming machine you could have for 5 ~ 10 years without further investment. Now, consoles have lifepan of 2 years or so.

Console gaming machines are aimed at a more visual gaming experience. This is in a strange place where its in the phablet realm where the upgrade cycle is yearly.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Interesting concept especially the detachable controllers.
But it doesnt look like another Wii success with that exotic hard and software concept, expensive games because of proprietary memory cards just for DRM purposes and big and bulky design which looks rather heavy.

But I guess their ultra loyal fanbase will buy anything that has a Metroid or Zelda logo on it...

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
M$ uses nVidia....nVidia is a dick, M$ dumps them next gen.
Sony uses nVidia...nVidia is a dick. Sony dumps them next gen.
Nintendo uses nVidia...

Sorry, nVidia doesn't have a good track record with the console business. Nintendo is going to find out the hard way why no one uses nVidia in their hardware.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Good news, the other monopoly isn't doing us any favours at the moment either.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
It looks really nice, tbh. Upper left photo makes it look like a police scanner or old transistor radio

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It's like an Nvidia shield in a fancy new box!

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's more like: NVIDIA found a desperate sucker to unload their unwanted Tegra chips.
Tegra is just a name of a brand, pascal based low powered gpus should be great ... tegra got a bad name when kepler arch was used with tablets. Nvidia arm64 cpu cores are nothing to sneeze at either.
Custom OS they speak of should be some linux/android spinoff so it should be open, but with better system gpu integration ... that reads, they'll finally make effort for drivers on a linux/android branch ... no wait, this is nintendo, nothing is open ... what kind of os is this?

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
I really like the whole idea. As long as they improve some design issues (like the d-pad), I think I'll buy it.

I wonder how will it be with backward compatibility - if You have some games from Wii/Wii U linked to Your account, will You be able to install them on Switch? I hope so. Using accessories from previous consoles would also be nice...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Tegra is just a name of a brand, pascal based low powered gpus should be great ... tegra got a bad name when kepler arch was used with tablets. Nvidia arm64 cpu cores are nothing to sneeze at either.
Custom OS they speak of should be some linux/android spinoff so it should be open, but with better system gpu integration ... that reads, they'll finally make effort for drivers on a linux/android branch ... no wait, this is nintendo, nothing is open ... what kind of os is this?

There is no mention that this Tegra proc is Pascal. If so, good! If not, not worth even looking at.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
It's more like: NVIDIA found a desperate sucker to unload their unwanted Tegra chips.

They will still pocket more cash than AMD get from Microsoft and Sony. :p

Good to see Nintendo back in the game either way.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's like an Nvidia shield in a fancy new box!

It might not have touch.

I see no problems with this. Did anyone expect a XB1/PS4 killer, or even something in the same ballpark as them? Give it good enough games and a good battery life and a good price and it'll sell.

Probably BSD based, that bsd -license allows almost anything and nvidia's driver stack for bsd is the same as linux...