• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1500$ budget i5 6600k AMD RX 480 Please advise

System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
DON'T EVER buy RX 480. Stay away from the RX series FOREVER.
Save yourself the pain and go GTX! To long to explain.
NEVER EVER touch amd RX graphics cards. It's a huge mistake!

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

After that post you know we're curious now what happened.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Clickbait...like anyone should listen to a 200+ post 'what should I build thread' person that suddenly barks out unsupported nonsense.

I think the cat should loosen up its turtleneck a bit...not sure that bean under the cap is getting enough oxygen. :p

So...is there a build thread? wth is going on?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm at work. So that means i have time to kill.
Long story short,after about 3 months with the RX 480 and many freezes / blue screens etc i had enough of it. Turns out everybody on reddit and so many amd forums on the planet are always talking about it. Till this day with current drivers they still haven't managed to fix the issues. It is electricity related.
At first it was very bad. I did read about it, but it seems that the different manufacturers versions of the card partially fixed that. Especially on the MSI versions of the card, no one complained about. It was more Asus & PowerColor. I blamed it on the ssd. After many tests on my computer and others, it turns out the ssd is flawless.
I found some workarounds that are disadvantages. I did in the end managed to kinda stop the pc freezes. People on amd forums helped so much. Every one has there own unique build, there for own unique problems. Some with very high-end motherboards and psu's others like my, not so much. Still the RX 480 is a mess.
Is the performance there for the money i spent : sure. Witcher 3 at ultra, and high settings on even 4k( doesn't go below 48fps) Doom works flawless (but this one is incredible well optimized - works great on even older cards). Many other games can be added tot he list. Would love to see how Total War Warhammer performs on the 480.

The Freesync is a beauty. Most definitely not a must. With a more powerful card i guess you can still hold a smooth gaming experience (without the need of freesync of gsync).

For a little bit of money extra ,would have got the 1070. To late.

As for the rest of the build. Money comes and money goes. A gaming pc vs real life dwarfs in comparison. That's just how things are. And i am determined to get the i7. Almost impossible to judge out of what you see on youtube or on a random computers forum. I've seen up close and personal the i5 6600 and the i7 6700.
In Photoshop , Illustrator, no difference between the i5 and the slow Phenom i got. Only in Premiere the i5 wins a bit.
However the i7, witch i tested this weekend is a beast. In games you get 15 fps more and in everything else is a winner by a mile. The i7 is a monster cpu.

Thanks for the update.. :)

The issues you read about with the pcie slot power and 480 have long been resolved.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.pcwo...erformance.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

As far as hyperthreading and performamce in gaming, it depends on the title. Sometimes there is no gain, rarely a lot. There are many factors which go into that answer. You blanket statement is likely true for a title or two. Here are but two examples of it doing nothing...
http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1267-battlefield-1-benchmarks/page4.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1271-titanfall-2-pc-benchmarks/page3.html

I find it incredibly hard to believe, however, that there isn't a difference between those cpus in anything cpu related. clock for clock skylake wipes the floor with any amd offering. That coupled with your older model cpu, I'm wondering if you are hanging that beret on the coat rack of ignorance instead of awareness.

I know I sound, uhh, direct, and I apologize for being, well, me.. But I want to make sure you are well informed whenever you manage to make this purchase. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-5.html

That isn't a random forum or youtube. That is a professional website using empirical testing.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
I tested the i5 6600 on the same OS and programs that i use for about 5 hours or more. I did not use any benchmark softwares what so ever. I tired to replica as best as possible a heavy work day for me on the computer. With Photoshop and Adobe Premiere opened and working on them and other stuff i got running around. I did not see any differences . The one factor that was present in both computers (my cousin i5 and mine) was the SSD. Yeap the ssd helps a tone! My cousin also has 8 gb of DDR4 Hyper-X . I only have ddr 3. Everything worked the same and in games no fps difference.

However this weekend i had the amazing chance , to test a i7. The person at was at did not accept me messing around the computer. I had to go home get my graphics card etc... i ended up spending a few hours (with force.... there never gonna let me in that house ever again) testing the computer. It did not have a ssd. But i tell you the computer almost worked as fast without the ssd ,as the i5 with the ssd. Not even gonna tell you, that i had to install the games and then remove them from the guys computer(same with the rest of the stuff). They absolutely hated me, even tho the dude once he saw Witcher 3 ...he was amazed . Ran Adobe Premiere as well, the fluidity and ease ... that cpu is spectacular.

I can't go with i5 after all this. I just can't , and looking back on it, so glad i did not pull the trigger on that i5 6600k when i had the chance.
I read the i3 6100 is very good, and it's more powerful than what i have. It's skylake ,it's DDR 4, it's socket 1151...it's great.

So as a peace of advice , if i am even entitled to give one.... we think the i5 is the perfect middle choice . I did,for a long time, witch is way i told my cousin to get the i5. it's a mistake. Go with i3 on the budget, or i7 6700k for the middle option. Everyone who is rich or really has the money will get a very expensive i7 and 2 graphics cards water cooling , you name it.... high-end stuff, right ?
The money difference between the i5 6600k and the i7 6700k is so little. Don't go out for 2 weekends, and there you have it, you saved the money.

Looking at graphics and excel spreadsheets on a website. It's all we have to make a educated purchase. Until you test the stuff in real life.

System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX

Amd is faulty,to much errors,rebranding,gpu's with lots of artefacts.... just badly :(

Green side are better,develop better gpu solution,pwm better,invest more money on research.

I tested the i5 6600 on the same OS and programs that i use for about 5 hours or more. I did not use any benchmark softwares what so ever. I tired to replica as best as possible a heavy work day for me on the computer. With Photoshop and Adobe Premiere opened and working on them and other stuff i got running around. I did not see any differences . The one factor that was present in both computers (my cousin i5 and mine) was the SSD. Yeap the ssd helps a tone! My cousin also has 8 gb of DDR4 Hyper-X . I only have ddr 3. Everything worked the same and in games no fps difference.

However this weekend i had the amazing chance , to test a i7. The person at was at did not accept me messing around the computer. I had to go home get my graphics card etc... i ended up spending a few hours (with force.... there never gonna let me in that house ever again) testing the computer. It did not have a ssd. But i tell you the computer almost worked as fast without the ssd ,as the i5 with the ssd. Not even gonna tell you, that i had to install the games and then remove them from the guys computer(same with the rest of the stuff). They absolutely hated me, even tho the dude once he saw Witcher 3 ...he was amazed . Ran Adobe Premiere as well, the fluidity and ease ... that cpu is spectacular.

I can't go with i5 after all this. I just can't , and looking back on it, so glad i did not pull the trigger on that i5 6600k when i had the chance.
I read the i3 6100 is very good, and it's more powerful than what i have. It's skylake ,it's DDR 4, it's socket 1151...it's great.

So as a peace of advice , if i am even entitled to give one.... we think the i5 is the perfect middle choice . I did,for a long time, witch is way i told my cousin to get the i5. it's a mistake. Go with i3 on the budget, or i7 6700k for the middle option. Everyone who is rich or really has the money will get a very expensive i7 and 2 graphics cards water cooling , you name it.... high-end stuff, right ?
The money difference between the i5 6600k and the i7 6700k is so little. Don't go out for 2 weekends, and there you have it, you saved the money.

Looking at graphics and excel spreadsheets on a website. It's all we have to make a educated purchase. Until you test the stuff in real life.
So you 'guessed'.. no baseline, no metrics, just 'felt' faster... while reputable sites that use empirical testing methods show otherwise. I'm going with a review site versus some random new guy in a forum who 'butt dynoed' results.

Friend, your advice I'd off on i3, i5, i7... I'd stick to listening as opposed to handing out that kind of advice. Theres a lot more to it than how you tried to capture and share...and frankly, it's bad advice. Again, sorry for being so blunt, but, you are making suggestions based on misinformation further trying to inform others with bad data.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
Friend, your advice I'd off on i3, i5, i7...
Not your friend. I advice on what i wrote. Read carefully, you will learn something. Got no smart advice to to contribute shut your mouth and keep your hands on keyboard. Don't turn my thread into a trolling contest. Take your hate and anger somewhere else.

Reason why or anybody else asks for advice on computer builds, after examining countless of reviews , is to get much needed intel especially from people that have used the products. Somebody telling you he used something in real life, that's the nest peace of advice you can ever get.
I read the review on MSI RX 480 here on TPU. Amazing... except they haven't used the card for about 3 months. I have. It has horrible power management . Real life wins over excel spreadsheets.

The closest thing to an educated purchase is a dude telling you he used "that" and in what circumstances.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's been a long time. But here i am. September 2017, and my choice has been made and put into practice.

I am missing the ram. I only have 4GB from a friend. Missing a better modular psu, the Corsair is still alive but will be replaced soon. Another HDD +++ much more RGB. Not to mention some kind of cable management. After 2 hours trying to put the cables in nicely, the results are less than mediocre.+ a custom made shroud at the bottom.
So glad i did not had the money back 1 year for the 15 Skylake build!
@P4-630 hope you are happy. I did go with a Bequiet case. And it's super super quiet ! Only at night with the window to my room and door closed ,can i hear a whisper. Must be a ghost or something , because the case with the lid on no nose whatsoever !
This built would have come eventually, but maybe it would not have had the Dark Rock Pro 3. But it does, and it's all thanks to @Norton
I have stressed the cpu with Prime95 using Small FFT test. After almost 11 hours, cpu temp 64 degrees celsius,all stable as a rock. According to this : https://www.pcworld.com/article/202...upid-how-to-stress-test-your-pc-hardware.html , you need to let it run for 24 hours just to be sure. I did not have the patience .
Nope the case of the year does not come with a shroud.
Will bring a full update and some reviews on performance,gaming etc after the system will be complete, maybe... this year around Christmas. Need more money.
Thank you all for your advice and criticism.

PS: CPU is Ryzen 1700x

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name Portable Rocket
Processor Intel i7-7820hq
Motherboard Dell
Cooling Dell
Memory 32GB Ballistix DDR4 2400 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Intel 630
Storage Adata sx8200 Pro 512 GB
Display(s) 14” 1920 x 1080
Case Dell Latitude 5480
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Dell
Mouse MS Wireless
Keyboard Dell Backlit
Software Win 10 PRO x64 , Office 2019, SPSS, Minitab
Benchmark Scores Home work machine, makes Excel 2019 scream!
Just curious, how did you end up choosing Ryzen over i7?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
That is sexay boi. And if you ever feel the need to give the CPU some more life there's Zen+ and Zen 2/3 on socket AM4. Ryzen for life.

For me personally it feels like owning another Phenom II, except much improved. This is what FX line should have been in the first place.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
It met his needs and budget.
Needs only., not so much the budget. So i did not have money to get 6950x or whatever ...but then again i don't need one. Also i don't need a Kaby-Lake X or a threadripper, sure even tho it would been amazing to have one, just for fun.
The 1800x makes no sense to me. The extra money was placed in quality ram.

Witch leads me to this... need some help.
This is my new ram

Do you think it's to close to the heatsync or the fan ? It's i think 1mm from the heatsink, and the fan- almost 2mm from the first ram dimm . Is it to close. I can do nothing as far as the heatsync goes , but i can get the fan to go higher. I just did not want to. Higher even just a bit, will not cover the heatsync properly.

What do you guys think ?

P.S. on the box it says 1.35v ....but now the ram runs at 1.36v Is this a problem ?

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Can you redo the pic in post #214 please.........:)

it looks fantastic, just cant see it properly.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
Pfff, not much to see. I can crop it, and adjust some photoshop light... still pretty bad. The cable management is a mess, no shroud, just a single strip of non-rgb cable...that's it. Will do more pics, when the system will be complete. Still need a new psu.

Btw @CAPSLOCKSTUCK since you are here , what do you think about the ram space problem ?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I wouldnt consider it to be a problem, maybe not ideal.

As a precaution you could raise the cooler fan a touch, ( like you said) i dont think it will make much, if any, any difference at all to your CPU temp if you did.

Needs only., not so much the budget. So i did not have money to get 6950x or whatever ...but then again i don't need one. Also i don't need a Kaby-Lake X or a threadripper, sure even tho it would been amazing to have one, just for fun.
The 1800x makes no sense to me. The extra money was placed in quality ram.

Witch leads me to this... need some help.
This is my new ram

Do you think it's to close to the heatsync or the fan ? It's i think 1mm from the heatsink, and the fan- almost 2mm from the first ram dimm . Is it to close. I can do nothing as far as the heatsync goes , but i can get the fan to go higher. I just did not want to. Higher even just a bit, will not cover the heatsync properly.

What do you guys think ?

P.S. on the box it says 1.35v ....but now the ram runs at 1.36v Is this a problem ?
If you can use all the cores, thats awesome. :)

Ram isnt too close.

1.36v is not remotely a problem. :)

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you can use all the cores, thats awesome. :)
Force the cpu to work with all cores all the time ?
Basically that's overclocking , right ? I will look into that.