• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do you care about in a Benchmark?

Are you satisfied with the benchmarks that are available and do you think they're adequate?

• Yes

• Somewhere in between (explain yourself.)

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I think the title pretty much speaks for itself but, you know me and alcohol, so this has to turn into something a little more than just a basic question. So buckle your seat belts, it's time to get deep. (...and before anyone says it, I'm sure that's what she said.)

This is a pretty vague question and there really is no right or wrong answer but, generally speaking, a benchmark is a means to gauge performance... the problem is that unless you're benchmarking the exact kind of situation you intend to use your machine for, you're not always going to really get a complete picture of how it will perform for your particular use case. This often leaves us with synthetic benchmarks to give us a glimpse into how hardware will perform in the most broadest or strictest of senses depending on the benchmark. The thing is that how applications are implemented, like using additional passes of AA in graphics or the conversion of floating point math to long integer fixed point math, can make a huge impact on how different kinds of hardware perform (without even getting started with multi-threading effectiveness,) even if the end result is programmatically and mathematically equivalent.

So with that said, we know what benchmarks give us in the most basic of senses. They usually reduce your machine into a number but, is that enough? We do have applications like 3DMark which gives us a basic breakdown into 3 categories but, that doesn't really say what our hardware is good at and what needs improvement. When I'm debugging code and trying to find bottlenecks, I'm not usually using a basic score to figure it out, I'm profiling the stuff I'm working with and finding out what's taking a long time to run. I might just be a mere software engineer but, it seems to me that benchmarks should be a lot more like profiling code, showing you what your bottleneck is and what takes the most compute resources to execute, not just simply how capable your machine is. Focusing on latency over a score that really doesn't mean anything outside how it compares to other machines.

So tell me, what do you think? Are you satisfied with the benchmarks you have now or is there something you've been craving that just hasn't really become a thing? This is something I occasionally think about and I doubt I'm the only person. So, spill the beans. What do you think?

:lovetpu:

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I used to run a lot of benchmarks in the past (98,xp,vista) and could never understand how there could so much variance between the same tests over and over and over only to have to get out the pencil and paper to add up and extract an average by hand (omg the strain of holding a pencil!). I quit trusting benchmarks and take them with a grain of salt now. I've maybe one benchmark in the last, well, since win8.0 came out...

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
I focused only on gpu benchmarks

And for me its mostly visual fidelity and then performance, sometimes both if it looks just about average and why does it run so bad..

I also monitor extra with MSI AB, gpu %, cpu load % per core, to see the bigger picture if its single threaded or very multicore and heats cpu more..

Personally I would like to see proper next gen benchmarks, so far I saw only U4 Elemental, Infiltrator, UnityE Adam tech demos,. Sometimes I really wonder if Cyberpunk2077 will look so CGI, apparently they target such gfx as in this video.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I used to run a lot of benchmarks in the past (98,xp,vista) and could never understand how there could so much variance between the same tests over and over and over only to have to get out the pencil and paper to add up and extract an average by hand (omg the strain of holding a pencil!). I quit trusting benchmarks and take them with a grain of salt now. I've maybe one benchmark in the last, well, since win8.0 came out...
Being reproducible is a big one in my book and that's not just times but, the result because if the result isn't what you're expecting it to be, your machine is probably unstable if you're overclocking. There are a lot of things that impact this though but, a good benchmark shouldn't have too much variance in its results (time wise,) in my opinion.
I focused only on gpu benchmarks

And for me its mostly visual fidelity and then performance, sometimes both if it looks just about average and why does it run so bad..

I also monitor extra with MSI AB, gpu %, cpu load % per core, to see the bigger picture if its single threaded or very multicore and heats cpu more..

Personally I would like to see proper next gen benchmarks, so far I saw only U4 Elemental, Infiltrator, UnityE Adam tech demos,. Sometimes I really wonder if Cyberpunk2077 will look so CGI, apparently they target such gfx as in this video.
Would you say that sensor values are a worthy thing to care about during a benchmark, such as temperatures when talking about results? Do you think that should be reported by a benchmark in some way similar to performance? I hadn't really thought of that and I think that's an awesome idea.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Hardware utilisation, as in a benchmark to use all of the hardware that is available and at the same time.

eg: Unigine is great for GPU's but useless when it comes to CPU usage.

Last edited:
Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
That reminds me, I still have a 2009 vintage in the wine cellar I need to crack open sooner or later. It should bench pretty high.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I am happy with Heaven for GPU. Mainly because folks here use it.

I use R15 for CPU because hardly anyone uses it and it means i can hold a few records with my Xeons.

:peace:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
That reminds me, I still have a 2009 vintage in the wine cellar I need to crack open sooner or later. It should bench pretty high.

This is clearly the standard at which all benchmarks should be held to. I feel like I've been outdone. I clearly need to get craftier. :p
I am happy with Heaven for GPU. Mainly because folks here use it.

I use R15 for CPU because hardly anyone uses it and it means i can hold a few records with my Xeons.

:peace:
Is it just about records or is there a goal other than just getting a high score?
Hardware utilisation, as in a benchmark to use all of the hardware that is available and at the same time.

eg: Unigine is great for GPU's but useless when it comes to CPU usage.
I like the idea of showing how balanced a system is for a given workload, like games.

I mostly don't care about general benchmark.

When I read a review of something, I focus on its relative strength compared to its competitions around it. Outside of that, I don't bench or care. I don't record fps unless I clearly feel shruggish.

For me, CPU is far more important than GPU since my main activitiy is rendering. I find Cinebench very accurate on CPU's rendering power, so I keep that on HDD.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'd say I'm mostly satisfied with benchmarks overall.

The only improvement I'd make is to have every major game have a benchmark mode built in. For example, I've just bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and was pleasantly surprised that it has a benchmark mode available through the main menu* which runs through an identical scene each time. Using this, I was able to measure the difference between DX11 and DX12 performance. DX11 gave an average framerate of 70 while DX12 an average of 82 which is quite a big difference and visibly smoother. My current hardware is in my specs.

*Why some games make the benchmark difficult to get to by running a secret exe or fiddling with configuration files using secret settings is a mystery to me.

Processor i7 3770k @4.3GHZ
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory g.skill Sniper 1600 4GB x4
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX480 4GB
Storage Crucial MX100 x2
Display(s) LG 25UM56-P 25"
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27435174
I'm pretty happy with the synthetic benchmarks available and contrary to one of the usual refrains of checking game performance closer than benches, I find them just as accurate so long as you have a frame of reference and comparable test beds. Certainly I wouldn't mind seeing more games with bench tools but there are enough to get by right now.

One thing I dislike about 3dmark though is when searching for other user results in the list you always end up with the highest OC cards at the top and since GPUs generally scale pretty well you have to really dig to find more comparable results for mild OC's or stock settings. It would be nice if you could filter by clock rate.

That mainly goes to what I use benches for, which is gauging how hardware works as an upgrade. If I read a review with a bench in it that's great for a 1:1 comparison, but I want to know how the latest video card is gonna run on my 2500k or my brothers G3258, not on the HEDT test bed review sites are using. So I find the 3dmark search a pretty neat way to get a gauge of how much of a performance hit I'm going to take compared to the same card on that test bed.

Or a similar example is what I did just on the black friday sales. For $169 I grabbed one of those Power Color RX 480's to replace my R9 280+7950 crossfire. Benchmarks were invaluable in determining whether it was worth it or not and so far the benches done by reviewers have been right on the money with my own testing. The only notable exception is the continual march of driver updates making the comparisons harder.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
No I am not happy.

I am more into system tests now and stress tests. I like you think about these things but my scale might be a bit different.

I honestly wish futuremark or OCCT or another benchmark manufacturer would make the same suite available to linux, OSX and Windows. and while I understand obviously that this cant necessarily work on a 1:1 ratio I wish there was a "full battery" of comparable benchmarks between platform types (per platform type, not talking osx vs ms vs linux) that worked on all of these OSs.

It bothers me on a profound level that this isnt available.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Personally nothing really, benchmarks from steam for example 3D Mark is useful for getting the DX updates and such other wise they mean pretty much nothing to me.

I like OCCT for testing.

System Name Gaming Desktop
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard asus rog alpha
Cooling H110i
Memory Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Storage EVO 840 500gb, EVO 850 500gb, Perc 710 Raid WD RED 4tbx4
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
mostly i use userbenchmark to make sure I'm within expected performance of the components when i finish a build.. sometimes it'll catch something out of whack. I'm not benching to try and squeeze another 2 fps out of <insert game here>.

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
Being reproducible is a big one in my book and that's not just times but, the result because if the result isn't what you're expecting it to be, your machine is probably unstable if you're overclocking. There are a lot of things that impact this though but, a good benchmark shouldn't have too much variance in its results (time wise,) in my opinion.

Would you say that sensor values are a worthy thing to care about during a benchmark, such as temperatures when talking about results? Do you think that should be reported by a benchmark in some way similar to performance? I hadn't really thought of that and I think that's an awesome idea.
I think it would be good by cpu focused gfx benchmarks., so you know what to get by similar demanding games if not monitoring it.

For me top game cpu benchmarks , also cpu OC stability by testing; LostPlanet2 - testB, ResidentEvil5 -fixed dx9 (jobthread=8 by both mt engine games), Dying Light, X-rebirth, GTA5, Rift, Quantum Break - steam, Forza Horizon3.

Or new Ashes of Singularity, dx12 mode Crazy present 1080p
I was shocked when I tried cpu benchmark, all 8 threads to 100% and heats up to 70C.., never seen a game benchmark stress this cpu in entire 3.5yrs owning it :), ok LP2 dx11 can by end of benchmark when that monster jumps in water, but this thing was like that entire time..

And for example, Im capped at 52fps by gpu benchmark, no aa or 2xmsaa or 4xmsaa, all same 52fps and it looks like gpu limited, but then why get same 52fps without msaa, so its cpu then.. very strange benchmark lol

Last edited:
System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04

I agree on temperatures, they need to state that early in a benchmark, not at the end or not at all (heck, even fan speed and noise level).
Also there is difference in temps of open bench, open side, high air flow case, and low air flow case. These latest cards respond greatly to temps, especially when pushing them hard.

I usually only see benchmarks as ball park figures, majority of the time I don't even bother looking at them. Every system is going to respond differently considering the variety of hardware configurations and applications used from machine to machine. There is also difference in running these applications under Windows or Linux.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the key is to keep in mind that benchmarks are often not comparing apples to apples.

I use them to compare before and after results, not to compare between two different products (EG, before and after re-pasting a CPU or replacing a cooler, to see if thermal throttling went away, or to see if an OC is faster)

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
I generally just use them to make sure everything is running at comparable speeds to similar gear other people are using, and testing the stability at new overclocks

Too many benches in the past have run better on 1 piece of hardware than another, when the situation is reversed in real world situations

The current one that annoys me is seeing crap tlc hard drives look ultra fast using part of their memory in slc AND using what is basically a ramdisk to show bullshit fast speeds in benches, despite being way slower than old 2010 era drives in real use

Last edited:

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
I dont use them at all, simply because I dont care :roll:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Most of the benchmarks I look at are in our own video card reviews. I use them to get an idea of how card x stacks up to card y in relative performance and power consumption.

I also take a look at the Intel CPU benchmarks that come around every now and again... the ones that pit two processors from different generations against eachother at the same clock speed (and then consider what the chips are capable of clocking up to). This way I get a rough idea of what happened with raw performance across generations.

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
I couldn't give a rat's a** about benchmarks. As long as my system allows me to play my games, I'm good.

I'm here to learn and when possible offer advice, not compare e-peens. For those who put value in those things :toast:

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I want them to be interesting. Catzilla had an actual story behind :D and awesome music. More often than not, what @Mussels said. I compare before and after changes on the same PC for example.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i just used a benchmark to demonstrate to somehow that their PC was upgraded, and worth it.

40 Gflops in an 8 core, vs 103 Gflops on a 4 core i5.

Pointed out that meant each core was 5x faster, and his games are single threaded. He got the hint.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
i just used a benchmark to demonstrate to somehow that their PC was upgraded, and worth it.

40 Gflops in an 8 core, vs 103 Gflops on a 4 core i5.

Pointed out that meant each core was 5x faster, and his games are single threaded. He got the hint.
What benchie program?

I'd love to see some benchmark that includes all:

- CPU single core
- CPU multi core
- Memory throughput (read, write)
- Storage performance (system drive: read, write, latency)
- Graphics performance
- Combined score so we can compare our systems