• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can 2 diffrent ram sticks slow down my fps/make game lag?

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Memory 8gb Team Elite plus
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Storage Kingston SSDNow 120gb/ Western digital 240gb
Display(s) Don't know how too get one ;p
Case I don't know its a atx mid tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coarsair GS600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016 Edition
Software Windows 10 (latest)
Okay so i have 2 diffrent sticks of ram , on is a 4gb stick
1st stick of ram Team Elite Plus 4GB (black)
  • DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • Timing 11-11-11-28
  • Cas Latency 11
  • Voltage 1.5V
  • =========================================================
  • This is the Other stick of ram
  • DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
  • Timing 9-9-9-24
  • Cas Latency 9
  • Voltage 1.5V
  • Do you think why this could be exactly why my fps is dropping in games? gpu is not high temp neither is cpu cpu never goes over 98% gpu when playing overwatch never goes over 60% Usage i have just ordered Dual Channel Kit HyperxFury 16gb 1600 MHZ ram. I was wondering if you guys think this could be exactly why i was having fps drops. I also had a BSOD PageFile error just a few days ago.....
(Not with my new ram) My spec's are:
  • Processor: I5 4690K
  • GPU : GTX 950 Super Clocked
  • PSU : corsair GS600W
  • ram (about too be hyperxfury 16gb) right now it is just 8 gb right now.
  • I said my ram spec's for both sticks at the very top of the page

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
its not optimal, and its likely not running in Dual channel mode, but it should be okay....im actually suprised it works for you, but id bet that the faster stick is slowed down to match the slower of the two. but ive never done this, so im just making a guess based on assumtions here

id recommend removing the slower stick of RAM, and trying out the GAME then, report back the results
you could also try running memtest too

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard
its not optimal, and its likely not running in Dual channel mode, but it should be okay....im actually suprised it works for you, but id bet that the faster stick is slowed down to match the slower of the two. but ive never done this, so im just making a guess based on assumtions here

id recommend removing the slower stick of RAM, and trying out the GAME then, report back the results
Like my fps drops in like in certain game's that use fucktons of ram like OW and H1Z1 and GTA V ONLINE

I shouldn't matter because the motherboard will automatically downclock the faster RAM to match the slower one.

I used to mix & match a lot of RAMs before. Generally no issues once it passes booting.

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Ever since i added this stick of ram i have been having fps issues.... btw i bought the 1333 recently not the 1600 my pc didnt come with the other stick for the 1600.....

I shouldn't matter because the motherboard will automatically downclock the faster RAM to match the slower one.

I used to mix & match a lot of RAMs before. Generally no issues once it passes booting.
Like i said up there thank you so much for the response. I have been having issues ever since adding this ram....

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Ever since i added this stick of ram i have been having fps issues.... btw i bought the 1333 recently not the 1600 my pc didnt come with the other stick for the 1600.....

Like i said up there thank you so much for the response. I have been having issues ever since adding this ram....

i would pull the RAM that is newer, and see if the issue persists. i know you said the games use a Lot of RAM, so id lower the Settings, or the resolution for this testing, then see if the lagging continues, if it doesnt, you'll know the second stick of RAM is your culprit.

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard
i would pull the RAM that is newer, and see if the issue persists. i know you said the games use a Lot of RAM, so id lower the Settings, or the resolution for this testing, then see if the lagging continues, if it doesnt, you'll know the second stick of RAM is your culprit.
What im saying is i ordered hyperxfury 1600 mhz 2x8 16GB. What i was wondering was do you think this will fix my lag? since both sticks of ram are completley diffrent

I pulled out the ram i can't play ow with 4 gb... that shit will lag like a bitch i cant have anything open...

Either way im getting brand new ram on tuesday and i will come back too this forum too post a update with the results with my hyperxfury...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Generally more RAM trumps faster RAM every time. So even if your system throttled down to the slower RAM's speed, performance should be better just because you now have 8GB instead of 4GB. Of course, this assume the RAM is compatible, and not faulty.
What im saying is i ordered hyperxfury 1600 mhz 2x8 16GB. What i was wondering was do you think this will fix my lag? since both sticks of ram are completley diffrent
If your motherboard supports that RAM and RAM was causing your problem before, then it should fix it.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board

Yeah I understand what your question is .

What I'm trying to say is myself or any other person here can only guess whether or not new ram would help unless you troubleshoot the problem and post the results of that testing.

My guess is that yes it will likely help but I can't be certain Of that opinion, but I suppose it's moot if you've already ordered replacement Ram, we'll see when you install the new stuff

*edit*
i recommend you use the "edit" button when posting , to avoid several posts of content that could be summed up in a single post, and to cut down on clutter of your thread...respectfully.it helps you out in the end, when other members are navigating thru the posts to help You out.

welcome to TPU , remember to fill out Your system specs when you get a minute

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Yeah I understand what your question is .

What I'm trying to say is myself or any other person here can only guess whether or not new ram would help unless you troubleshoot the problem and post the results of that testing.

My guess is that yes it will likely help but I can't be certain Of that opinion, but I suppose it's moot if you've already ordered replacement Ram, we'll see when you install the new stuff
Okay alot of poeple are telling me that my ram could really be fucking me /bottlenecking me since everything gets clocked down idk if it can cause diffrence on how because from what i take is the slower the speed the slower it processes so if my ram cant keep up its going to cause lag. wouldnt you say so?

Generally more RAM trumps faster RAM every time. So even if your system throttled down to the slower RAM's speed, performance should be better just because you now have 8GB instead of 4GB. Of course, this assume the RAM is compatible, and not faulty.
If your motherboard supports that RAM and RAM was causing your problem before, then it should fix it.
Funny thing is i just got Pagefile BSOD but i still was having issues NO issues untill i installed this dumbass stick of ram before a had 2 gb 1333 and it was working fine idk honestly this is why im here.....

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Okay alot of poeple are telling me that my ram could really be fucking me /bottlenecking me since everything gets clocked down idk if it can cause diffrence on how because from what i take is the slower the speed the slower it processes so if my ram cant keep up its going to cause lag. wouldnt you say so?

RAM speed is a factor, but not in the sense of the issue Your explaining. It would show its speed in a synthetic test, but in real life matter like a game performance, not neccisarily.

and please dial back the multi posts...use the EDIT button please

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
okay. im tapping out of this one. @Amc101803 i wish you good luck with your problems. im gonna leave this to another,

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard
okay. im tapping out of this one. @Amc101803 i wish you good luck with your problems. im gonna leave this to another,
Thank you so much for you're responses though. I had acouple pc tech's / gamers say that ram speed and stuff matters ALOT when gaming.
Okay so ran a mem diagnostic and it came back with no errors.

Last edited:

Nonsense. Dual Channel isn't some fancy trick where all planets have to allign for it to work. It's a physical connection that's registered by a CPU directly via BIOS.

If you have 1 memory stick, it'll be single channel. If you have 2 it'll be dual channel. Triple channel with 3 and quad channel with 4. They do have to be in appropriate slots for which you need to refer to your motherboard manual.

You are right on the frequency side of things. Only one frequency can be used and then it's down to a fact whether all sticks can do it. If they can overclock, you can increase the slower one to match the faster. Otherwise you'll have to match them by slowing down the faster one. Same for timings.

I frankly don't think slowdowns are a result of mixed sticks per se, but is possible that using higher frequency and lower timings on the slower RAM stick may be the cause. I've seen systems that behaved like crap when RAM was overclocked and it actually made performance very erratic and unstable. In all honesty, just set it to speeds and timings of the slower one. It's capacity that really counts, not the speed. And you might get rid of the lagging issues that are possible when RAM is overclocked or timings set wrong (without actually tripping it into BSOD).

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Nonsense. Dual Channel isn't some fancy trick where all planets have to allign for it to work. It's a physical connection that's registered by a CPU directly via BIOS.

If you have 1 memory stick, it'll be single channel. If you have 2 it'll be dual channel. Triple channel with 3 and quad channel with 4. They do have to be in appropriate slots for which you need to refer to your motherboard manual.

You are right on the frequency side of things. Only one frequency can be used and then it's down to a fact whether all sticks can do it. If they can overclock, you can increase the slower one to match the faster. Otherwise you'll have to match them by slowing down the faster one. Same for timings.

I frankly don't think slowdowns are a result of mixed sticks per se, but is possible that using higher frequency and lower timings on the slower RAM stick may be the cause. I've seen systems that behaved like crap when RAM was overclocked and it actually made performance very erratic and unstable. In all honesty, just set it to speeds and timings of the slower one. It's capacity that really counts, not the speed. And you might get rid of the lagging issues that are possible when RAM is overclocked or timings set wrong (without actually tripping it into BSOD).

You seem to have all the info the OP needs, perfect.

And to be clear I didn't think the planets need to be aligned for dual channel memory to Work I just didn't think it would work with different sticks that's all

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
You seem to have all the info the OP needs, perfect.

And to be clear I didn't think the planets need to be aligned for dual channel memory to Work I just didn't think it would work with different sticks that's all

It's a very simple thing really, entirely dependent on physical existence of memory sticks in correct slots. There might be stability issues later on depending on paired sticks, but dual (or more) channel will be enabled straight away as you stick the RAM stick into the slot.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Second stick of ram (red)
It's possible the above stick will overclock to DDR3-1600 with the looser timings of the first stick.

Your not messing with the page file, and left it on auto unless your on Windows 7? Win7 gives you a 8 GB/16 GB page file when your RAM capacity is 8 GB/16GB unlike Windows 8.1/10.

Edit: Fill in your System Specs. ;)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/account/specs

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Okay im deleting all my other comments , but i figured i'd tell you This only happens when i play certain games ever since this stick of ram i am going too attach a picture of the ram shit for you guys.

https://gyazo.com/10a6f7919ac8434e11bd6fe55f19e65a there is my cpu it is dual channel

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Okay im deleting all my other comments , but i figured i'd tell you This only happens when i play certain games ever since this stick of ram i am going too attach a picture of the ram shit for you guys.

I wouldn't sweat the multiple posts, or worry about deleting them just as long as you know what to do in the future everyone makes mistakes and in the scheme of things it's not a very big one don't worry about it.

I'd recommend that you fill out your system specs in your personal info that will help other members in regards to assisting you with this and future problems. In regards to your original problem I'd wait until the replacement ram comes before getting too worked up about the problem Because it may be resolved with the new RAM.

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I wouldn't sweat the multiple posts, or worry about deleting them just as long as you know what to do in the future everyone makes mistakes and in the scheme of things it's not a very big one don't worry about it.

I'd recommend that you fill out your system specs in your personal info that will help other members in regards to assisting you with this and future problems. In regards to your original problem I'd wait until the replacement ram comes before getting too worked up about the problem Because it may be resolved with the new RAM.
Does it explain it right i can link you the link too each link to the 2 diffrent stick of ram if it would make it easier

System Name Iron Man v_1
Processor I5 4690K
Motherboard H81M-HDS
Cooling Stock ;/
Video Card(s) Gtx 950 SC
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Sorry i just get really nervous well im going too send you the links too both of them and you can see why i think this....

4GB (1600) Just too let you know i dont have the other stick of this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...am_Elite_Plus_4GB_1600-_-20-313-429-_-Product

4GB (1333) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313097

Hope this helps everyone :love: