• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virtual Reality Club

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
That is what I meant yes. The Vive has a separate unit but it is like a jump box before it goes to PC - it still has to go into the video card. No idea about the Rift but it uses a camera which should be USB.

Razer had a beta/alpha unit out for a while, but it didn't get much support. I doubt there new one will either. However, there are multiple companies coming out with headsets.

IMO, now is not the time to get into VR unless you have money to spend. I believe in a max of 2 years time, we will have a handful of very good headsets that have some form of wireless, motion tracking, and or compatibility across systems/games.

Not sure how much headsets are going for used, I haven't bothered to list my Vive yet, but I would definitely get something used if you can find something in good condition just so you can avoid part of the premium.

What happens to games that use analog sticks to induce camera movement? Does the head tracking cancel that out and you can use that analog axis to perform another function?

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Agh, three posts in a row - I can't edit these ;/

I am leaning towards the Rift because of the Touch controllers coming out soon. They seem more comfortable, fitted and thought out than the Vive wands. The wands are pretty big and seems like a lot of the plastic /area space is pointless.
Also concerned about the 'track' pad that they use. To me that sounds like it's digital based where the analog stick on the Oculus is, well, analog in the first instance therefore giving more precision and clarity on what you are doing.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hey,

Rift received ; you can add me to the club house.

I had some questions for Guitar and Mindweaver, which were :
1. Does the CV1 ship with any USB 3.0 cables? How long are they?

2. I will need a USB 3.0 extension for the sensor and for the head unit. Any recommendations?

3. I also have Touch on the way. Is it accurate that you need USB 3.0 for headset, and each sensor?

4. What height is your sensor? I want to position mine about three inches above my eye level when standing and hope the angle facing downwards will be sharp enough to pick up the head unit when sitting.

(and here's a question I asked above that went unanswered)

5. What happens to games that use analog sticks to induce camera movement? Does the head tracking cancel that out and you can use that analog axis to perform another function?

Here is what I can answer now owning one :

1. Technically it does ship with cables.
  • HDMI /USB headset combo cable (13.1ft/4m long) - detachable from headset (though not intended unless replacing/troubleshooting). If you're thinking about buying a long HDMI and/or USB cable to immediately replace the standard with something longer, you cannot. It's a propriety cable in several ways. You should get a USB extension instead.
  • Sensor USB cable (8.2ft/2.5m long)- attached/fixed (at least from the outside, again, maybe replaceable /troubleshooting). Keep in mind when placing your sensor(s) that if you are seated mostly, then desk -horizontal mounting will maybe change later to wall/ceiling - vertical placement. Another six to ten feet may make all the difference. In order to prepare for needing that flexibility(no cable pun jokes please), I would suggest buying an appropriate length (maybe do some rough room measurements beforehand) USB extension for each sensor
  • I'd further suggest a USB extension even if it's only a short one, simple to act as a 'snap box.' This means if you yank any of the cabling, it will most likely come loose at the extension connection and not the headset/GPU/sensor(s).

2. I found a compatible USB extension from the Cable Matters series (they do 3ft/1m, 6ft/2m, 10ft/3m, 16ft/5m)

3. Yes each device sans the controller needs USB 3.0
  • Specs for USB were raised. It is now USB 3.0 across the board (sans the Xbox controller) for the CV1
Special note : All devices should show as USB 3.0 though sometimes the UI flakes out and says 2.0 (if you replug them, they register 3.0) either way, it's still working as intended. As long as they showed as USB 3.0 in the compatibility tool, initial setup/diagnostics or device information in the Oculus Home GUI at least once, then it's fine.​

4. I positioned mine initially on the desk, which is about a foot beneath my forehead height, with the sensor angled upwards towards my face. When I stand up, it has no issues staying with me. Thus equally if you mounted it at eye level when standing and aimed it down, it will see you sitting.

5. I cannot answer this 100% however thus far I've noticed a mix of results.

In Obduction, you have head tracking while the right analog stick makes your body turn at 90 degree intervals. In order to successfully navigate you have to angle your vision and time it with the right stick motion to move about successfully. So far this has been the most nausea inducing program I have tried. It's extremely awkward and I cannot figure out why on Earth they designed it like this. It's so unnatural.

In Araya, you have head tracking while the right analog stick turns your character. I suspect this is quite common for now until they come up with new movement methods. They key is finding the right stick sensitivity to match your head tracking otherwise you get a bit light headed from the speed mismatch.

My next/new questions relates to the Touch sensor setup and Vorpx.

Touch sensors: All the reviewers(independent) have stated that two sensors is required for the controllers to function yet also serves as enough tracking coverage for room scale. Though I noticed that they all had some type of ceiling or high elevated wall mounting which would mean that the two sensors can see from above.

I want to identify whether you can place one behind you and in front of you and still achieve the same result. My concern is that your body will potentially block one of the cameras as you are moving about and cause the tracking on the Touch, to fall away or become intermittent/interrupted.
This may be why they suggested three as a minimum in a seated/standing scenario.

Any thoughts on this?

Vorpx: Some tell me to buy it, it's worth it and others say no it's not A) still too complicated/buggy and B) if one had the intention of playing non VR games in VR (at least for head tracking), it's a bit of a let down.

I am OK with A) ; yes it is unfortunate if you spent money on something that does not work well, though the complicated part I can manage. However the latter, concerning the lackluster results when you do have it setup, is hit or miss with different games.

If anyone has used it for the likes of Skyrim, Fallout 4, Ark (native ARK HMD isn't nice still), Osiris, or any other modern titles they would like to comment?

Games I've tried that shine in VR (without any modding or tools such as Vorpx) so far :

Project Cars
Assetto Corsa
Dirt Rally
Solus Project

Other helpful image quality and performance related things...

1. Oculus debug tool (and some game .ini files ) allow you to up the SuperSampling over your Rift to improve image quality as well as set a FPS counter in game.

Rule of thumb for using the debug tool sampling feature :

GTX 1080 maximum setting of 1.3-2 depending on the game
GTX 1070 maximum setting of 0.8-1.3 depending on the game
Anything lesser down towards the minimum spec GPU, would be maximum setting up to 0.8 depending on the game​

There are some cases where you can go higher with your hardware - you will have to test.

Instructions for using the debug tool:

How to Run the Oculus Debug Tool to Improve Image Quality

• 1) Download the latest Oculus SDK from here and install. General use instructions here
  • 2) Close any running instance of Oculus Home and / or Rift games you may be running.
  • 3) Open Oculus Home again first, before anything else.
  • 4) Now open the Oculus Debug tool before launching any games.
  • 5) At the top under the Service section, click the ‘Pixels Per Display Pixel Override’ option to a value of your choosing between 0.0 - 2.0 [can go higher, not recommended] (no need to search for an ‘apply’ button – once the value is changed it should be active.
  • 6) Launch your game of choice from within Oculus Home and enjoy the sharper image and revealed in-game detail.
  • 7) You can keep the tool open and make adjustments in real time
For every subsequent game you want to play, open the debug tool first and set the value once again.

How to Run the Oculus Debug Tool to see frame rate
  • Repeat above steps 1-4 if you have not already
  • 5) At the top under the Service section, click the ‘Visible Hud’ option and choose 'Performance'
  • 6) Under Performance HUD section, ensure the 'Mode' feature is set to 'Performance Summary'
  • 7) To toggle this off, be in a game or Oculus software and set 'Visible Hud' option to 'None'

For every subsequent game you want to play, open the debug tool first and set the value once again.

Source: http://www.roadtovr.com/improve-oculus-rift-game-image-quality-using-this-tool-oculus-debug-tool/

2. ASW (for Rift HMD using 1.8 runtime or newer on Windows 8.1 or higher)[Nvidia 900/1000 series only]

Asynchronous Space Warp*** is a bit of black magic in the VR world at the moment, though it's some Voodoo that actually works. By default the Rift uses ATW.

In short, if you find yourself unable to keep the 90fps in games with ATW or even the 45fps for that matter(especially if you've used the supersampling method to increase visual quality), then ASW is your savior.

In fact most Rift users now suggest it should be enabled regards as it does not interfere with ATW, it rather kicks in when ATW/90fps fails). It allows them to turn up the supersampling as well as in game graphics settings to much higher than before. As long as your game is still maintaining 45fps with ASW enabled, then it's virtually (ugh puns) the same as 90fps with ATW.

*** Useful reads on the subject of ATW and ASW
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4pmvy0/what_is_atw/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/56720c/eli5_difference_between_atw_asw_and_reprojection/

Instructions on how to setup ASW with your Rift CV1
  • 1) Make a new txt file on your desktop, call it ASW.txt
  • 2) Copy this text :
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus VR, LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus VR, LLC\LibOVR]
    "AswEnabled"=dword:00000001
  • 3) Save the file and then rename it to ASW.reg
  • 4) Right click the file on the desktop and select 'merge'
  • 5) Accept any notices and warnings
  • 6) Open Oculus Home
  • 7) Start a game in VR (can be on or off of Steam. You do not need to be in the game active window, it only has to be running on the computer)
  • 8) Press Ctrl (either left or right Ctrl key) + numpad 4 to enable AUTO ASW
  • 9) Restart your computer or restart the Oculus VR Runtime service if you know how

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/56af3t/detailed_stepbystep_guide_to_enabling_asw_through/
To ensure it's working do the following :
  • 1) Navigate to your folder C:\users\username\Appdata\Local\Oculus
  • 2) Find the newest dated text file titled 'Service _Year-xx-xx__xx.txt' e.g. i.e. Service_2016_12-05_10.24.09.txt and open it
  • 3) Scroll to the bottom and hit CTRL F to open the search function
  • 4) Input (no quotes) "[VirtualDisplay] -- Enabled ASW auto by keyboard --"
  • 5) Select the 'Up' option in the direction section

If you see find that Virtual Display -- Enabled line in the text, then it's now active permanently, until you disable it.

If you want to temporarily disable, press Ctrl + numpad 1 while a game is open

To turn it off indefinitely, edit your ASW.reg file to "AswEnabled"=dword:00000000 and then repeat steps 3-5 to remerge it, or directly edit the registry yourself and amend the dword value.

Testimonials for ASW:
Holy Shit
Quick Impressions

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't provide more info since I don't own the Rift, time and just not being into VR much as of late don't help.

Project Cars was very good especially with the G27.

Solus Project didn't work very well on the Vive. I played GTA V a bit, it worked, but was wonky - I hadn't tried the Vive specific mod and the fixes it has.

Fallout 4 should actually have native VR support sooner or later, they mentioned it a while back.

I've heard VorpX can be hit or miss, definitely has weird configuration that works/sometimes works. Alien Isolation I hear is great (or used to be) with it -- I bought it specifically for VR but never got around.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I just added you @newconroer !

@Guitar you need to retry Solus Project. They fixed a lot of the bugs and it works really well now. I picked it up on sale for $9.99.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
On steam it's 20 Euros at the moment I see... You may have bought it at GOG?:
https://www.gog.com/game/the_solus_project 50% Off

No, I bought it during the Steam Autumn sale. I have to say it's pretty amazing, but it still has some bugs.. But the devs are still working on VR updates. They just put out a pretty big one. I'd still buy it at full price, but for $9.99 it's a no brainer.

My Vive is still sitting in the box, there's only two games to take it out for that I'd play and even then it isn't tempting enough unfortunately.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hey, any one want to add me for Oculus specific or other VR games, my account name is HoIIywood (use capital I instead of L)
Am playing Dead and Buried this evening at the moment.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Hugo Gernsback was an inventor who produced the 'teleyeglasses' in 1968, some 48 years before the Oculus Rift VR headset went on sale.

The TV glasses, which included a tiny screen for each eye, displayed stereoscopic or 3D images

According to a profile piece in Time magazine, Gernsback first thought up the concept in 1936 but ditched it as he deemed it to be too impractical.

However, shortly before the Time piece was published he is said to have ordered some employees to build a prototype.

'The teleyeglasses weighed about 140 grams and were built around small cathode-ray tubes that ran on low-voltage current from tiny batteries,' reports IEEE Spectrum.

Born Hugo Gernsbacher in what is now Luxembourg City, Gernsback later became a naturalised US citizen and a pioneering entrepreneur in the electronics industry.

In 1908, he founded Modern Electronics - the world's first magazine about the electronics industry.

As an inventor, he held around 80 patents including an electric hairbrush and a battery-powered light-up mirror.

Sometimes referred to as 'The Father of Science Fiction', he was also instrumental in the early history of sci-fi.

In 1926, he founded Amazing Stories, considered to be the first science fiction magazine.

The Hugo Awards, presented annually since 1955 at the World Science Fiction Convention are also named after him.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
If you enjoyed VR Girlfriend Kanojo and Nekopalive, here comes another VR dancing themed experience from Japan!

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Mindweaver add me to the club please... :D

I have purchased the Razer OSVR HDK 2 Virtual Reality Headset for (cough*) my son (Santa is a cheap arse). I liked the Open Source connection since it kept my HP touchpad alive for years and of course the price of the Rift and Vive were out of my price range since I needed to upgrade my 780 TI to at least a 980. I settled for a Zotac 1070 Amp! Edition. So on Xmas morning I'll be busy setting things up and excited about sharing my experience with you guys and of course if I need to scream help! Happy Holidays All! :lovetpu:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Mindweaver add me to the club please... :D

I have purchased the Razer OSVR HDK 2 Virtual Reality Headset for (cough*) my son (Santa is a cheap arse). I liked the Open Source connection since it kept my HP touchpad alive for years and of course the price of the Rift and Vive were out of my price range since I needed to upgrade my 780 TI to at least a 980. I settled for a Zotac 1070 Amp! Edition. So on Xmas morning I'll be busy setting things up and excited about sharing my experience with you guys and of course if I need to scream help! Happy Holidays All! :lovetpu:
Nice! Steam just started adding the OSVR logo to the games it works with in SteamVR just like they do with the Vive and Oculus games.

EDIT: Added

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Anyone using Samsung Gear VR?
It just arrived today, got it free. (With my Galaxy S7):D

First time experience was not bad but unfortunately overall a grainy experience even after adjustments.:ohwell:
Any recommendations on Apps?

20161223_125115-small.jpg

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Anyone using Samsung Gear VR?
It just arrived today, got it free. (With my Galaxy S7):D

First time experience was not bad but unfortunately overall a grainy experience even after adjustments.:ohwell:
Any recommendations on Apps?

View attachment 82352
I've got the newer black version and it's good. I use it with my Galaxy S7 Edge. Now, it's not as good as the CV1 or Vive, but it's still pretty good to be a phone viewer. If you have netflix then it's a must have app or the gear vr. I like Gunjack as well. I just picked it up on their Christmas sale for $4.99 and it's well worth the price. I actually have it on Steam VR as well for my Vive. I bought Dark days and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes yesterday, but I've not tried them yet.

EDIT: Do you want me to add you to the club?

If you have netflix then it's a must have app

Yeah I already installed it not yet used it.:)

Yeah you can add me to the club then I guess.:D
Thanks!

With other VR sets you don't have this grainy problem I think? Or?

For some reason I'm unable to install the Samsung VR app from the google play store because I live in Europe:banghead:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Yeah I already installed it not yet used it.:)

Yeah you can add me to the club then I guess.:D
Thanks!

With other VR sets you don't have this grainy problem I think? Or?

For some reason I'm unable to install the Samsung VR app from the google play store because I live in Europe:banghead:
Yea, but on the vive and cv1 you really don't notice it when you get into it... but you do if you look for it. It should already be on your phone. On your phone just plug it into the Gear VR. If there is an update it will update then but it's that simple. You don't have to go anywhere to download it.

You don't have to go anywhere to download it.

On the samsung site it seems it comes with more content, thats why.

Anyways I just tried Netflix, I just needed to disable the subtitles because the text is grainy/bit blurry, pretty cool though, got my own movie theater now hehehe..:D

The only downside is if you want to eat or drink something in the middle of something, then you would have to switch to phone camera view.

Oh the first motion sickness kicked in while sitting in rollercoaster Coastiality....:D:oops::p

@Mindweaver , yes I have found the way to scroll trough all the apps now.:)

Wished it had a search function though....

It sucks to browse the samsung store though with the touchpad on the headset, many times when I want to go to the next page it jumps to another category again...:banghead:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Oh the first motion sickness kicked in while sitting in rollercoaster Coastiality....:D:oops::p

@Mindweaver , yes I have found the way to scroll trough all the apps now.:)

Wished it had a search function though....

It sucks to browse the samsung store though with the touchpad on the headset, many times when I want to go to the next page it jumps to another category again...:banghead:

Yea, I hate the store! lol It needs a lot of work.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
I am aware VR labs published an article on their page about confirming the earlier waves of the lenses were shipped out with ill fitting adapters, and this had been rectified. However when I asked them to clarify further and if this was still an issue in any way, I received no response.

Therefore, I had been following the topics elsewhere about making your own adapter because the fit quality of the VR labs lenses were still poor according to recent buyers (and they also are expensive lenses).
I have since gone the DIY route and having received all the pieces back, they are fitted and working 100% in my Rift. There is less than 1mm of space between the two lenses(inserts and the original Rift), that can be adjusted minutely back out to about 1.5-2mm if you desire.

I suspect most people will get them as close as possible without touching, as they stay in place.

The version I used (#2 below) :

Adapters

1. Popular round lens base design comes in 40mm and 43mm variant, to be used in conjunction with Zenni Optical models 450015 or 550021 respectively.

2. Revised version of above, includes wider adapter frame, tighter fit and detachable lens inserts. Comes in 40mm and 43mm variant, to be used in conjunction with Zenni Optical models 450015 or 550021 respectively.

3. Alternative design for Zarruchi lenses, good option for Australian based users who want local dealings

4. VR lab official
Uses the Rift standard sized lens**

5. VR lab lens alternative. Similar to what you would receive from VR labs, yet with a stronger fitting one piece frame. Uses the Rift standard sized lens**

** Sizes are HxW:

Rift - 51.8mm x 54.7mm
Vive - 50.1mm 46.7mm

Where to print/buy

https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint

1. Upload your .stl file(s) {which you downloaded earlier from the links above in this post}
2. Select 'General Purpose Plastics'
3. In the filter section, select 'Recommended' and then leave the others at default.
4. To the right, input your location either by zip/post code, state/province and/or country
5. Below that is a 'materials' search box. Input "PLA" no quotes and then hit the Enter key
6. Browse your results

Things to look for :

• Available material - ideally they offer ABS, though PLA will do. Additionally clicking on 'See All Materials' (if given) will bring up another window, that indicates other materials available and on the right side column, the cost to change the micron or layering level. As a reminder, 200 microns is fine for this adapter, and 100 is even better).
  • The price (which is calculated for one quantity of the print .stl you uploaded
  • The delivery service they offer and it's related price
  • The ready by date is how soon it can be made, not delivered.

None of them speak about infill, though I suspect as long as it's structurally intact, then it does not matter - in fact the less infill the better to save weight on your face.

If you are a UK resident, I highly recommend using George's shop as pictured above. He was able to make them the same day and shipped the next business day. The print was expected, finished well and fit as intended.

Go here to reach a quote link for him (click on Get a Quote From this Hub at the top right)

Please give George a try if you are UK based. Feel free to ask questions. He's an engineer and physicist...a 'boffin' as it were.

If you have any others to suggest, please do and we can compile a list based on location for everyone's ease of access and use.

Where to buy lenses

40mm
43mm
Rift standard
Australia/NZ geo specific (or is it sympathetic?)

Notes on the Lenses

First and foremost, if you have not had an eye exam in less than a year, have one done. It may be premature, though better to be accurate now than order lenses that are for an aged prescription.

If ordering from Zenni, I would recommend that you meet your prescription in every way possible including Prism***
  • Anti reflective - oleophobic coating
  • No blueguard**
  • No high index* (unless your prescription requests it)
  • No other features

*** Prism is extremely important when using the Rift and other similar devices.

Also know that prisms are usually spread across both eyes. If you have a prism in your right eye of +3.0, your prescription most likely reads +1.5 prism on each eye, and then the the direction or 'base' which could be "up" or "out"
If you have a really low prism such as +0.50 then it's unlikely it is spread onto both eyes, as the lower number you get, the less possible it is to split the prism. Zenni do offer 0.25 though I wouldn't risk it. Stick with the recommendation by your optometrist.

Zenni will ask you to submit information for both eyes if you opt for a prism adjustment. If you only have it on one eye, then leave the other eye information blank.

** The jury is still out on the significance of blue light when using digital devices and whether it affects your melatonin. If it is not in your glasses prescription, then skip it.

* High index is about aesthetics in most cases, for those with high prescription that results in thick lenses, it allows them a more thinner pleasant looking lens. The extra thickness should be on the back side of the lens, not the front, meaning it won't cause spacing issues between the Rift lenses and the adapter lenses. This is another reason to avoid reversing the orientation of the lenses as done by VR lens labs.

Installation

• Do one lens at a time
  • Pay careful attention to the top area of the lens alignment while it is still in the glasses frame. It is advised to mark it with a Sharpie or similar style marker at the top's flat side. You will not see it in your view when playing
  • When removing the lenses, check the underside of where the frame meets the lens to see if there's a small screw. If so, loosen it and the lens will come free ; otherwise they may be push out lenses. Zennis listed above are the screw type.
  • When you slot the lens into groove of the adapter or adapter frame, pinch it at the top and bottom firmly but not excessively. Then put it up to your respective eye and gently rotate it with the free hand - just to ensure that the 'top' point you marked earlier does indeed give you the best vision. You will know because to much deviation and you will start to lose focus or clarity. Once you are happy with the alignment, you are done. If you are using the version with removable inserts, do as recommended above for the alignment, yet then also hold it a bit tighter afterwards while you insert it into the frame itself. Once it's in, it will be harder to rotate than before though it can be done if you need final adjustments.

Final figures (including shipping)
  • 43mm lens adapter print - $9
  • Prescrption Zenni 43mm lenses with Prism and anti glare $32.95
    If you do not have a prism, then subtract $9.95 and if you live in America the shipping may be less.

Final thoughts

• Eliminated the pain and inconvenience of glasses
  • Eliminated the pain and inconvenience of contacts
  • Means Lasek doesn't have to be in your future
  • Cost effective vs other marketed solutions
  • Suitable for any one whom already has prescription or plano glasses
  • Confirmed working, stable
  • Provides better FOV
  • Protect your Rift lenses
  • Makes sharing the Rift with others easier and better, particularly with the hot swap adapter versions

If you've been toying with this idea, take the plunge, it is worth it. The turn around time for all the parts was less than two weeks, despite being the Christmas season.

Last edited:
"HTC expected to unveil HTC Vive 2 at CES 2017, says report

HTC is likely to unveil its second-generation VR device, the HTC Vive 2, at the upcoming CES 2017 to be held in Las Vegas from January 1-5, according to a Taipei-based Central News Agency (CNA) report.

The Vive 2 is expected to utilize a wireless transmitter to connect with PC systems and come with two 4K displays with a monitor refresh rate of 120Hz instead of 90Hz for the current model, said the report.

Meanwhile, HTC also reduced recently the price of its HTC Vive devices sold in the China market by 10%, apparently to pave the way for the launch of the new Vive 2, indicated the report.
"

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20161228PD202.html

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
"HTC expected to unveil HTC Vive 2 at CES 2017, says report

HTC is likely to unveil its second-generation VR device, the HTC Vive 2, at the upcoming CES 2017 to be held in Las Vegas from January 1-5, according to a Taipei-based Central News Agency (CNA) report.

The Vive 2 is expected to utilize a wireless transmitter to connect with PC systems and come with two 4K displays with a monitor refresh rate of 120Hz instead of 90Hz for the current model, said the report.

Meanwhile, HTC also reduced recently the price of its HTC Vive devices sold in the China market by 10%, apparently to pave the way for the launch of the new Vive 2, indicated the report.
"

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20161228PD202.html

HTC has already confirmed that no Vive 2 at CES. They need to focus on content not new hardware. The wireless addon will start selling at the first of the year and is just an addon. There isn't any eta on the new controllers, but we might see the controllers at CES alone with the new Lighthouses. Also, it's worth noting the new lighthouses aren't any "better" than the current ones, just cheaper to make.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
They would be shooting themselves in the foot by releasing another HDM, even if it did come with wireless, true 4k etc.