• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DENUVO and the real impact on games and gaming companies

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Why have it at all? Wasn't the whole reason the gaming platforms such as Steam, Origin and Uplay came into being was because they basically told companies "enough DRM! We will be your DRM"? The anti-DRM feeling also led to the huge popularity of GOG.

So what is the purpose of a publisher implementing Denuvo despite the overwhelmingly vast numbers of law abiding purchasers not wanting it? And it's only good for 3 months? That's ridiculous!

Aren't platforms like Steam, Origin and Uplay some of the worst for managing DRM in that you can't play offline mode without being online? And that it crashes and fails often, making law abiding consumers have to suffer?
Meanwhile are there any cases of Denuvo being an obstacle for any law abiding players?

The HARD TRUTH IS
people that are going to download a Pirate Version ( for gods sake what happened to those free Game demo's that enabled you to check out weather you wanted to get the game and if it was worth buying) will wait untill a working Cracked Version is Available anyway.
That has been the truth of things ever since DRM was introduced

Dude, if I could get demos on Oculus Home, I'd be set. I'm just glad every purchase so far with Touch has been worth it. Though I am sure our luck will run out eventually.

I would say that not everyone is that way though. Certain games are simply worth paying for, especially if you see the difficulty to crack it and/or the time it's been since release and yet nothing has surfaced.

Furthermore, if you pirate everything, then you can 'afford'(I would estimate) to pay for a game once and a while.

You can't leave your house unlocked thinking that only decent people are around. Don't see the big deal with Denuvo . It does not effect the customer .
Thing is lots of the games suck. The closest thing to an educated purchase are video reviews. "The scene " mention's if you like the game buy it . Mostly that never happens . The user will exhaust the single player mode,and maybe will buy the game for the multiplayer part, if that hasn't been delivered already.

If i would be the owner of a big gaming company i would definitely make sure nobody plays my game if they don't buy it. And since they got Denuvo now, it would be nice to have a free demo to try the game first.

I always figured if 'The scene' (can't believe we now word it like it's some type of conglomerate or shadow organization) really feels that way, then they should play and legitimately review games as well as pirate them.
They won't though, because telling pirates to buy if you like, is a gesture and nothing more. IF they really felt that way about 'supporting developers' they shouldn't pirate in the first place.

The whole thing is a farce and reads straight like some paraphrase from the Communist manifesto, most likely misinterpreted by college kids enjoying some metaphysical experience on Special K, spouting some nonsense about how 'information should be free, down with censorship and copyright is inherently an evil concept.'

When in reality, they're just making some dramatic guise to cover the fact they simply want free stuff.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Furthermore, if you pirate everything, then you can 'afford'(I would estimate) to pay for a game once and a while.

They did not make it for free, but with hard work and money. Every single game needs to be pay'd for. Except for Ubisoft's games,cuz there richer than God, and there games suck lately :rolleyes:
The really sad part about piracy is that it destroys the small companies. I read somewhere that indie games get played 80% pirated. You know your never gonna hear from that company ever again if they only sell 20% ...considering 20% out of what, like 20k-30k copies ?

PS: UBISOFT IS ADDING DENUVO TO PREVIOUSLY UNPROTECTED GAMES. it's a copy paste, sorry for the caps

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4wu2l7/denuvo_v3_has_been_cracked_by_cpy_actually/

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I see a lot of herd mentality in here. It's as if many of you want to be fed DRM again. It's completely unnecessary. If you don't treat your customer base like criminals, then many more will gladly pay you for your game.

That's how these things work: they get dumped on so many unsuspecting, clueless individuals, that the few that try to reason about it are relegated to minority.

You can't leave your house unlocked thinking that only decent people are around. Don't see the big deal with Denuvo . It does not effect the customer .

You couldn't be more wrong. A game is not a house. The producer says it's a house, cause it earn them millions. But for the end user it's barely worth the $60. From the user's point of view, there's zero reason to allow root access to one's computer in order to be able to play a game.

Remember the dreded problematic StarForce and Tages protected games? I never bought any game with that protection out of principle. Through history I've had nothing but problems because of stupid protections. During Win9x to WinXP transition most games bitched about missing CD even though you had original game. Do you want to know how many pirates had issues back then? None, because pirated copies just worked since they weren't relying on CD being in the drive. What does that create by itself? It shows that pirated copies are actually a better deal. And some even bought originals and then used crack so that devs were supported and they could play the games fine. I rejected that. If they can't make games work well and problem free, then they don't deserve my money.

Ubisoft adding more DRM garbage to their games is not really suprising. They are greedy assholes who deserve to be boycotted. So much no one would even pirate their crap. I only bought their old games and games on GOG without DRM. I refuse to buy or play any Ubisoft games since 2010 when they introduced their always-on DRM garbage. It's 6 years later now and I don't miss any of their stupid games. What shocks me more is why people still buy their cookie cutter designed stupid games. And in return they treat you as criminal by default. Fuck you Ubisoft, you don't deserve my money. I rather spend it on another Witcher game even if I'll never play it, just because the company behind it is devoted and honest.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
And some even bought originals and then used crack so that devs were supported and they could play the games fine.
I did this

Far Cry 4 had excellent fun multiplayer. Always envied those youtubers having fun in coop. Never got that game....

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Back then people did buy the Game's but after a while the Cd stopped being reconised by the CD drive ( CRAP CHEAP DISKS).
The only way you could use and play your Original non pirate legal Purchased Game was to find the (and use) No CD Crack.
That in the eyes of the company and their trade protection mafia made you a pirate (WTF)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
DRM is an asshole. I used to make images of game discs (remember doing this with BF2 and 2142) so I could mount them in a virtual drive, just so I could play without the disc. One reason I did this was because my 2142 disc wasn't working too well. Why should I have to do that?

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
I already am. I'm playing mostly indie games that don't come with as much content, but are actually fun to play instead (off the top of my head: Path of Exile, Spaz, Jets'n Guns, Grim Dawn, Pillars of Eternity). I don't mind paying $60 for something like the Witcher series either. But $60 for a rehashed FIFA, Battlefield and whatnot? Fuggidaboutit. Those aren't even built from the ground up each year to worth the asking price.

So you have different tastes. You can always not buy what you're not interested in. For example, you'd have to pay me to play PoE. I wouldn't pay a cent for it, but I don't see anything wrong with them charging full price. I've got hundreds of hours in BF4, so even the Premium pass was worth it. For ~$100 I got plenty of hours worth of entertainment. Sometimes I pissed me off (bugs) but it certainly was worth the asking price. If the game is rather sub par I won't buy it myself. I skipped BF Hardline for that reason and almost skipped BF1. Will return to BF4 for the most part until that is dead and hopefully RS2 Vietnam will replace it for me.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
So you have different tastes. You can always not buy what you're not interested in. For example, you'd have to pay me to play PoE. I wouldn't pay a cent for it, but I don't see anything wrong with them charging full price. I've got hundreds of hours in BF4, so even the Premium pass was worth it. For ~$100 I got plenty of hours worth of entertainment. Sometimes I pissed me off (bugs) but it certainly was worth the asking price. If the game is rather sub par I won't buy it myself. I skipped BF Hardline for that reason and almost skipped BF1. Will return to BF4 for the most part until that is dead and hopefully RS2 Vietnam will replace it for me.
I hope when said PoE, you meant Pillars of Eternity.
Cause Path of Exile is actually available for free. You'll end up paying for extra stash space if you get serious about the game, but the client and all content are free.

Still, this is not about taste. You said that cheaper games would somehow be inferior. I said there are currently cheaper games that are not inferior in any way.

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
Yeah, no demo is one of the reason I never pay full price for any PC game, and tend to wait several months on videos of people playing the game. Barely ever pay over 20 bucks for a game. Sometimes even waiting till the game falls down to 10 bucks or less since it is a digital copy that I can not resell later on.

Console games on the other hand. At least I can rent a game from RedBox, play it for a whole day on the console, and if I like the game enough buy it. Because of this I actually shell out 60 bucks for launch games on the few consoles I have. Then once I am done, I trade the game in for cash, store credit, or resell the game to someone else.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
DRM is an asshole. I used to make images of game discs (remember doing this with BF2 and 2142) so I could mount them in a virtual drive, just so I could play without the disc. One reason I did this was because my 2142 disc wasn't working too well. Why should I have to do that?
I understand that 100%. I'm also a big fan of hard copies, love to own the original cases, with manuals and all. But really hated that you always need the DVD in to play it...

Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Mouse Logitech Pro
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
I hope when said PoE, you meant Pillars of Eternity.
Cause Path of Exile is actually available for free. You'll end up paying for extra stash space if you get serious about the game, but the client and all content are free.

Still, this is not about taste. You said that cheaper games would somehow be inferior. I said there are currently cheaper games that are not inferior in any way.

Free or not you'd have to pay me to play that, and just about half of what you listed. Fact is games are more expensive to make. You can't cut the asking price without seeing quality/content decreases and stagnation. Your typical game costs millions to make and it isn't becoming any cheaper. If you like freemium games or other games then great, but for the rest of us it wouldn't be good. If you think the industry looks bad as it is, have the price of games drop and you'll truly see how repetitive it can get. New IPs/genres would slow down even further, and we'd see a lot more phone and freemium titles.

As it is we can't even get decent vehicle shooters, aside from BF, which is MP only and only part vehicle based. The only decent looking vehicle shooter than isn't a copy/paste MMO on the horizon is Ace Combat 7; and that series almost died as an MMO itself just a few years back. 3rd person shooters have not attempted to improve the lack luster shooting mechanics for well over a decade. Cut the potential profits by ~25% and the chances of seeing either of those changing.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Free or not you'd have to pay me to play that, and just about half of what you listed. Fact is games are more expensive to make. You can't cut the asking price without seeing quality/content decreases and stagnation. Your typical game costs millions to make and it isn't becoming any cheaper. If you like freemium games or other games then great, but for the rest of us it wouldn't be good. If you think the industry looks bad as it is, have the price of games drop and you'll truly see how repetitive it can get. New IPs/genres would slow down even further, and we'd see a lot more phone and freemium titles.

As it is we can't even get decent vehicle shooters, aside from BF, which is MP only and only part vehicle based. The only decent looking vehicle shooter than isn't a copy/paste MMO on the horizon is Ace Combat 7; and that series almost died as an MMO itself just a few years back. 3rd person shooters have not attempted to improve the lack luster shooting mechanics for well over a decade. Cut the potential profits by ~25% and the chances of seeing either of those changing.

Are you brain-dead or something? I just gave you a list of games that are both cheaper and on par with AAA titles.
Games cost millions to make because the likes of EA or Ubisoft need to pay for their huge army of people doing anything but game development. Indie studios can build titles for less. They can't crank out a rehash every year, but guess what? They actually build titles that are fun to play.

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse Logitech Pro
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
Are you brain-dead or something? I just gave you a list of games that are both cheaper and on par with AAA titles.
Games cost millions to make because the likes of EA or Ubisoft need to pay for their huge army of people doing anything but game development. Indie studios can build titles for less. They can't crank out a rehash every year, but guess what? They actually build titles that are fun to play.

You listed a few games without listing their costs or development times. As evidenced with the Witcher 3, if a small indie dev is successful the price of sequels shoots up a lot. They spent a mere $81 million, which isn't a lot of money. Even with four million sales they only made ~$61 million in profits. Which means they had still lost money 6 weeks post release. Now they're well over 10 million sales and have make some nice profit no doubt, but how many of those were full price? How many were sold for $30 USD at launch because they were bought in a lower income country? And that is for your typical fantasy game. One of the mainstays of the game industry, and a theme that has been played out far too many times. Imagine if they had done something else, a smaller niche genre. They would not have been able to come close quality wise because they wouldn't get even close to 10 million sales. You want them to cut the profit margins by 15-20%? Good luck at getting much more than a typical fantasy RPG or copy paste Metal Gear mechanic shooter.

Just think about the cost of hiring 50-60 full time developers for four years and the cost of the studio alone. That is before traveling, research, licensing, traveling to record unique sounds, contracting out and the like. Cut the potential profits and you will have to take less risks. We'll end up with a bunch of fantasy games and person based shooter/adventure games. It is where we are currently; but the chances of breaking this cycle would be even worse if developers knew they'd make less profits. Your hatred big studios doesn't make games cost less to make these days. Games are getting cheaper while getting more expensive. You simply can't ask for more while paying less. Even in the early 2000s, 1 million sales was considered amazing and a mark of a successful game. Now days, unless you're making a low budget phone like game, it won't even come close to covering costs.

I hardly pay $60 for a game (can't remember the last time I did?) but anyone with half a clue about game development knows they're going up in costs. And it has nothing to do with *insert companies you hate* inflating costs.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
You listed a few games without listing their costs or development times. As evidenced with the Witcher 3, if a small indie dev is successful the price of sequels shoots up a lot. They spent a mere $81 million, which isn't a lot of money. Even with four million sales they only made ~$61 million in profits. Which means they had still lost money 6 weeks post release. Now they're well over 10 million sales and have make some nice profit no doubt, but how many of those were full price? How many were sold for $30 USD at launch because they were bought in a lower income country? And that is for your typical fantasy game. One of the mainstays of the game industry, and a theme that has been played out far too many times. Imagine if they had done something else, a smaller niche genre. They would not have been able to come close quality wise because they wouldn't get even close to 10 million sales. You want them to cut the profit margins by 15-20%? Good luck at getting much more than a typical fantasy RPG or copy paste Metal Gear mechanic shooter.

Just think about the cost of hiring 50-60 full time developers for four years and the cost of the studio alone. That is before traveling, research, licensing, traveling to record unique sounds, contracting out and the like. Cut the potential profits and you will have to take less risks. We'll end up with a bunch of fantasy games and person based shooter/adventure games. It is where we are currently; but the chances of breaking this cycle would be even worse if developers knew they'd make less profits. Your hatred big studios doesn't make games cost less to make these days. Games are getting cheaper while getting more expensive. You simply can't ask for more while paying less. Even in the early 2000s, 1 million sales was considered amazing and a mark of a successful game. Now days, unless you're making a low budget phone like game, it won't even come close to covering costs.

I hardly pay $60 for a game (can't remember the last time I did?) but anyone with half a clue about game development knows they're going up in costs. And it has nothing to do with *insert companies you hate* inflating costs.

Actually, since you used CDPR as an example, even if they sell a smaller niche game, which cyberpunk 2077 is likely to be, they don't have the "hidden" expense most studios do. They self-publish, and thus, profiting is much easier to come by. All that money the publisher would have carved off the top of each sale is theirs. So their sales CAN be smaller in number on titles, and still make as much profit as "Major" studios.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Cyberpunk 2077 is not "smaller" nor "niche." They said the world and game are going to be bigger than Witcher 3 (which is among one of the largest single player worlds games ever) and Cyberpunk is one of the best genres out there because it's the not-so distant future (easy to make assets for) and they can roll pretty much any other genre into it (e.g. Shadowrun infuses fantasy elements).

Eliminating the middle men though is always a huge benefit...and liability...to any production.

As for DRM...I generally don't care unless it interferes. I can think of three titles where it did: Act of War: High Treason (Valve refunded money because it was unplayable and Atari couldn't care less), Beyond Good & Evil (DRM doesn't support XP x64), and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (DRM doesn't support XP x64).

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
... I've got hundreds of hours in BF4, so even the Premium pass was worth it. For ~$100 I got plenty of hours worth of entertainment....

I hardly pay $60 for a game (can't remember the last time I did?)...

Roger that.

...but anyone with half a clue about game development knows they're going up in costs. And it has nothing to do with *insert companies you hate* inflating costs.

Instinctively, yes, if only for inflation, the prices should go up. However, when you the same thing over and over and over again, costs should go down.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Cyberpunk 2077 is not "smaller" nor "niche." They said the world and game are going to be bigger than Witcher 3 (which is among one of the largest single player worlds games ever)
Well...I never said anything about the size of the world in the game. I am well aware how big it is supposed to be.

I'm talking about the genre. I'm willing to bet you a AAA game that one year after release, sales are noticeably less than TW3 had at a year. :) Yep, everyone here mark this date that I pledged that. Your reciprocity is appreciated, but not mandatory if you aren't very confident.

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
but that is the same ubisoft that said that using uplay "significantly decreased the piracy of their titles"

Which tells me ubisoft has no clue what they are doing. Which isnt all that surprising, but still. In other words, apparently the newest doom patch removes denuvo.
That's just because you be subtitles or crap on average

No one even wants their titles if they're free

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
That's just because you be subtitles or crap on average

No one even wants their titles if they're free
No kidding. I got their HAWX for "free" and never played it because of DRM.

("Free" as in "it came with the video card")

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Heh, CPY has been taking care of business as of late.

Rise of The Tomb Raider and Mankind Divided (although not optimized too well still) have both been cracked and both have benchmarks, so you can compare them side by side. My understanding is that there is essentially zero performance difference.

If you were to do a test, I'd use Tomb Raider. On Mankind Divided I still get the very rare stutter and some graphical anomalies in Prague, and yes, I have a legit version on Steam with the latest patch. :p Still a good game and mostly patched up by now. Graphics can range from fairly good to below average, so it doesn't run as well as I had hoped. But decent enough for my 4670K + GTX 1070.

I played through DE: MD recently and had no issues. Basically maxed at 1440P and maintained 60 fps 99.9% of the time. GPU usage didn't even hit 90% with vsync on. The patches must have fixed it. VRAM goes through the roof, so if you're trying to play with too high of settings, it won't work (cuz 970 especially with the ram retardation).

You sure they are cracked? It still has denuvo inside - steam emulation.

Yes

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Until the servers go down or the DRM is no longer supported.

Has anyone here dealt with a Securom game? How about starforce? Maybe safedisc? Softwrap? How many of these work today?

I'll give you a clue... none.

There's a life lesson in that era.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Until the servers go down or the DRM is no longer supported.

Has anyone here dealt with a Securom game? How about starforce? Maybe safedisc? Softwrap? How many of these work today?

I'll give you a clue... none.

There's a life lesson in that era.
My main recall is Spore. Only allowed you to install it so many times... Fuck them.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
My main recall is Spore. Only allowed you to install it so many times... Fuck them.

I bypassed starforce with an external dvd drive LOL. That ver on Splinter Cell just totally ignored externals.