• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virtual Reality Club

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
They would be shooting themselves in the foot by releasing another HDM, even if it did come with wireless, true 4k etc.

Yea, people don't realize how demanding the current hardware really is with super sampling set high. The default super sampling settings are pretty low. It's amazing how much sharper and clearer it is with higher SS. I can't turn it up to high with my current 970 but I can turn it up a little and it makes a world of difference. People are struggling with 1080's with really high SS settings.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Agreed. I don't know why they think 120hz is a goal. 90hz feels fine and even without super sampling increases, 1080 users are struggling in some titles to hold 90fps/hz.

Also I tend to view supersampling as downsampling - it's not native. If the HMDs provided better resolution as standard, I would not be surprised if we got improved IQ at less performance cost than forcing the sampling.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Agreed. I don't know why they think 120hz is a goal. 90hz feels fine and even without super sampling increases, 1080 users are struggling in some titles to hold 90fps/hz.

Also I tend to view supersampling as downsampling - it's not native. If the HMDs provided better resolution as standard, I would not be surprised if we got improved IQ at less performance cost than forcing the sampling.

Have you checked out this new gun controller indiegogo page? It looks interesting.

EDIT: I just bought Onward

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Okay everyone I don't want to sound alarmed but I think I just jumped into a can of worms... lol
The Razor HDK2 is a true developers HDM and given I was told so prior to purchasing I will own the issues I have run into during setup.
Even the initial setup can be cumbersome and convoluted with threads spanning several release versions of the OSVR core. But having dived in I can see how things have slowly evolved to its current state.

It's been tuff sledding and lots and lots of trial and error. My biggest problem in the beginning was not putting the osvr folder in the correct location and adding [osvr] to the Steam VR config file. Going through online guides and youtube vids I don't recall seeing it stated this had to be anything other than copying the osvr
directory to the Steam VR folder E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\openvr (E: being my Steam program DIR). However I danced around for hours with Steam VR not detecting the headset. The problem was solved when I read a "How To" on setting up of Elite Dangerous and making sure you add the osvr line to the config file for
Steam VR. But after adding the line I realized it was looking for [osvr] not [openvr] folder as stated in most guides.

So Stream VR is running and I have lots of work still to go in terms of getting certain games to work correctly and I could ramble on but I think the worst is over and junior is playing Subnautica which makes him happy.
It plays smooth and the graphics are working well without any screen door effects. So for me more trail and error which also works as a learning tool for the little guy...

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Okay everyone I don't want to sound alarmed but I think I just jumped into a can of worms... lol
The Razor HDK2 is a true developers HDM and given I was told so prior to purchasing I will own the issues I have run into during setup.
Even the initial setup can be cumbersome and convoluted with threads spanning several release versions of the OSVR core. But having dived in I can see how things have slowly evolved to its current state.

It's been tuff sledding and lots and lots of trial and error. My biggest problem in the beginning was not putting the osvr folder in the correct location and adding [osvr] to the Steam VR config file. Going through online guides and youtube vids I don't recall seeing it stated this had to be anything other than copying the osvr
directory to the Steam VR folder E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\openvr (E: being my Steam program DIR). However I danced around for hours with Steam VR not detecting the headset. The problem was solved when I read a "How To" on setting up of Elite Dangerous and making sure you add the osvr line to the config file for
Steam VR. But after adding the line I realized it was looking for [osvr] not [openvr] folder as stated in most guides.

So Stream VR is running and I have lots of work still to go in terms of getting certain games to work correctly and I could ramble on but I think the worst is over and junior is playing Subnautica which makes him happy.
It plays smooth and the graphics are working well without any screen door effects. So for me more trail and error which also works as a learning tool for the little guy...

Interesting choice - certainly the uphill climb between the three units. I cringe when I see the lack of OSVR support on games.

At least Subnautica is nice to you. I have zero super sampling turned on and even with low graphics and Asynchronous Space Warp enabled, it dips below 45fps and stutters making it a real uneasy experience on the Rift.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Interesting choice - certainly the uphill climb between the three units. I cringe when I see the lack of OSVR support on games.

At least Subnautica is nice to you. I have zero super sampling turned on and even with low graphics and Asynchronous Space Warp enabled, it dips below 45fps and stutters making it a real uneasy experience on the Rift.

Mostly certainly is a uphill climb with a 60lb backpack dragging a boat anchor... but that's part of the fun :) Learning and getting to know the ins and outs. I've found some of the cheaper games on Steam VR work really well... just tried Mount Wingsuit was great till I hit the ground.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I received my Oculus Rift CV1 yesterday. This is my first time to use VR and I am just blown away with how very cool it is. Just awesome. I wish best buy had the touch controllers in stock but they don't so I have to wait for my order to come in next Friday. I cannot wait to use those.

I am running pixel density at 1.8 with no problems at the moment. I haven't tried some of the more demanding games yet. I bought the VorpX software but I haven't tried using it yet. Gonna do that today. I have no idea how to use it though so I will start reading up on it soon. I'm looking forward to trying FO4 with it.

So umm yeah add me to the club please.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I received my Oculus Rift CV1 yesterday. This is my first time to use VR and I am just blown away with how very cool it is. Just awesome. I wish best buy had the touch controllers in stock but they don't so I have to wait for my order to come in next Friday. I cannot wait to use those.

I am running pixel density at 1.8 with no problems at the moment. I haven't tried some of the more demanding games yet. I bought the VorpX software but I haven't tried using it yet. Gonna do that today. I have no idea how to use it though so I will start reading up on it soon. I'm looking forward to trying FO4 with it.

So umm yeah add me to the club please.

Welcome to the Club!

Just got TF2 working in the HMD... Right click on TF2 properties in Steam, type -VR under Set Launch Options and uncheck Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active...
So you got me wanting to try FO4 myself again but it starts in Theatre mode so need to find out how to set it up to run like TF2...
Good Luck and gratz on your new HMD :)

Anyone try EVE: Valkyrie yet?

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
@Urlyin I'm glad you are working through it. Razer is really shaping that HMD up nicely. The best part is that it's all upgradable.

@WhiteNoise welcome to the club! Yea, touch will blow your mind as well. I haven't used it yet, but I can remember seeing my hands in VR for the first time and it was amazing.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
@Urlyin I'm glad you are working through it. Razer is really shaping that HMD up nicely. The best part is that it's all upgradable.

@WhiteNoise welcome to the club! Yea, touch will blow your mind as well. I haven't used it yet, but I can remember seeing my hands in VR for the first time and it was amazing.

Yeah stumbling, bumbling through it... disappointed to read there are tracking issues not yet resolved. Big issue for me are controllers since I'm not crazy about using Xbox controllers in Steam or the Steam controller which I hate even more. I could cough up another 80 bucks or so on a Leap Motion which you can use your hands as well. But using psmove controller with two Playstation eye cameras has caught my attention and looks easy enough to setup for Octulus link:

There are some setup guides on the OSVR site for HDK2. I got the two cameras for less than 10 bucks and the controller for 30 dollars so it will be interesting to setup since it appears to be seen as a Vive controller I believe. I was evening thinking of seeing if a Vive controller would work in Steam without the headset. The HDK2 is seen as lighthouse hardware in Steam if I recall correctly... mucking through the json config files for devices is where I need to head next.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Yeah stumbling, bumbling through it... disappointed to read there are tracking issues not yet resolved. Big issue for me are controllers since I'm not crazy about using Xbox controllers in Steam or the Steam controller which I hate even more. I could cough up another 80 bucks or so on a Leap Motion which you can use your hands as well. But using psmove controller with two Playstation eye cameras has caught my attention and looks easy enough to setup for Octulus link:

There are some setup guides on the OSVR site for HDK2. I got the two cameras for less than 10 bucks and the controller for 30 dollars so it will be interesting to setup since it appears to be seen as a Vive controller I believe. I was evening thinking of seeing if a Vive controller would work in Steam without the headset. The HDK2 is seen as lighthouse hardware in Steam if I recall correctly... mucking through the json config files for devices is where I need to head next.

Yea, the PSMoveService with the controllers and 2 camera's are much better than using leap motion. I actually wrote a small program for PSMoveService a few months ago that would calculate your W and Y settings based on your 360 degree position called "PS_Move_Rotation_Tool.exe" (It's some where in the project on GitHub, but just to be clear I didn't write any of the PSMoveService it self). I was using this service with my DK1 and the problem I had was the controllers would slowly rotate out of position based on my hmd, because the dk1 lacked a positional camera. I believe those issues are fixed now with HMD that have a positional camera like the HDK2. I haven't been keeping up with the project, but it's really coming along. I believe now they are working on the PSVR HMD support of the project. It will be a good cheap solution when they finish giving users the option of buying the whole psvr setup, and using it with a PC.

Now on using the leap motion.. It's works good when both of your hands are right in front of the leap motion, but once they aren't then that's where the trouble begins.. lol It's really hard to hold both controllers and do everything with them right in front of your face.. It doesn't seem like much at first but after a few minutes it feels like you are holding 2 bricks.. lol

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
@Mindweaver can you add me?

Samsung Gear VR / Galaxy S7 Gold Platinum :D

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
@Mindweaver can you add me?

Samsung Gear VR / Galaxy S7 Gold Palladium :D
Added! Have you bought any games? I just bought Gunjack for it and it really good on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Netflix is really good too.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Added! Have you bought any games? I just bought Gunjack for it and it really good on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Netflix is really good too.

Yeah I tried Netflix but after a half hour or so my nose starts to hurt...:p
I didn't buy any app/game yet but I might.

When I'm buying a game(s) I know for sure I definitely need to buy a controller because using the touchpad on the headset sucks hard.:(

Do you happen to know if a controller works in the store, main start area and for the general free apps/games as well?

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Yeah I tried Netflix but after a half hour or so my nose starts to hurt...:p
I didn't buy any app/game yet but I might.

When I'm buying a game(s) I know for sure I definitely need to buy a controller because using the touchpad on the headset sucks hard.:(

Do you happen to know if a controller works in the store, main start area and for the general free apps/games as well?
Yea, I still need to pick up a good controller. I've been holding off mainly because they are adding XBox One controller support soon.

Yea, I still need to pick up a good controller. I've been holding off mainly because they are adding XBox One controller support soon.

So the Xbox one controller comes with bluetooth support?

I own a xbox360 wireless controller so that won't work, too bad...

I'm reading on various sites the SteelSeries Stratus XL is a good controller for Gear VR.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
So the Xbox one controller comes with bluetooth support?

I own a xbox360 wireless controller so that won't work, too bad...

I'm reading on various sites the SteelSeries Stratus XL is a good controller for Gear VR.
Yea, from what I've read it's the best controller. I've been tempted to pick one up several times, but the price has always stopped me.. lol Plus, I picked up an XBox One controller at the beginning of 2016.

Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
ooooo I pick up my touch controllers tonight. /excited

/edit 3 hours later and WOW that is the coolest! The Wife is making me sit down to watch a TV show with her...I can barely sit still. I just want to go out to my theater room and play!

/edit Been playing Arizona Sunshine and man is this fun. I had to setup my area to play 360 while standing and I'm really impressed with how this works. It really brings me into the game while I'm crouching down behind a car, opening the door and scavenging for ammo. This game is so cool. I can't wait to see how newer games evolve.

Awesome stuff!

I've decided I need to move some stuff around my play area to create a bigger zone to VR in.

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Yea, the PSMoveService with the controllers and 2 camera's are much better than using leap motion. I actually wrote a small program for PSMoveService a few months ago that would calculate your W and Y settings based on your 360 degree position called "PS_Move_Rotation_Tool.exe" (It's some where in the project on GitHub, but just to be clear I didn't write any of the PSMoveService it self). I was using this service with my DK1 and the problem I had was the controllers would slowly rotate out of position based on my hmd, because the dk1 lacked a positional camera. I believe those issues are fixed now with HMD that have a positional camera like the HDK2. I haven't been keeping up with the project, but it's really coming along. I believe now they are working on the PSVR HMD support of the project. It will be a good cheap solution when they finish giving users the option of buying the whole psvr setup, and using it with a PC.

Now on using the leap motion.. It's works good when both of your hands are right in front of the leap motion, but once they aren't then that's where the trouble begins.. lol It's really hard to hold both controllers and do everything with them right in front of your face.. It doesn't seem like much at first but after a few minutes it feels like you are holding 2 bricks.. lol

Stuff arrived and should have a chance this week to try to setup if I can get the HDK2 to load up games without a fight in some cases... I'll have to check out the "PS_Move_Rotation_Tool.exe"

You go WhiteNoise!

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Stuff arrived and should have a chance this week to try to setup if I can get the HDK2 to load up games without a fight in some cases... I'll have to check out the "PS_Move_Rotation_Tool.exe"

You go WhiteNoise!
Cool! Hopefully you don't have to use it.. lol It made it a lot simpler than recalibrating every 5-10 minutes, but it was still a pain in the behind. Your positional tracker should keep everything set correctly just like it did with the dk2. Good luck! If I could go back I would video record my wife, and kids seeing their hand position in vr.. lol Of course if I showed it to anyone they would kill me.. lol

Since I own a xbox360 wireless controller which unfortunately doesn't work for Gear VR :(,
I bit the bullet and just ordered a Steelseries Stratus XL for my Samsung Gear VR.:ohwell:

Too bad this new controller doesn't come with a blue tooth stick, can't use it on my windows desktop now....:ohwell:

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes