• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Non-Gamer Bored And Looking For Light Entertainment

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
The preponderance of RPG's and shit like Doom is what drove me away.
Big marketing AAA stuff tend to be RPG and/or FPS (or at least elements of those) since they're safe choices and that's pretty much what the stereotypical gamer lives and breathes nowadays, for better or for worse; Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto V, Doom 2016, etc. But there's also plenty of other types of games even if they don't get as much attention (not demanding upper-mid end systems to may have something to do with that).

More succinctly it was too much Mario Kart (Like everywhere I went and Mario Kart is pretty far up there in my estimation). Ok, also the racing games turning into nosebleed real sims or GTA.
Not sure if I can help you there. I think you've covered every end of the driving genre there.

Just wondering if there is something more fun than the casual genre on a computer or if I missed some good console games while I wasn't paying attention? Thanks for any suggestions.
There's simulation stuff like The Sims 3 or Banished. Something more platformer-like would be Magicians & Looters or Momodora, though the retraux/shoestring indie art-style may be an acquired taste. Also, adventure games are making a pretty good comeback to the spotlight: Life is Strange or Dreamfall or King's Quest 2015 or Deponia or Telltale Games' The Walking Dead.

Consoles have been hit or miss lately since in my opinion they've been trying too hard to be PC-like even when it doesn't always suit them. Sony's offerings tend to bulk up on JRPGs. Nintendo, as usual, seems to do its own thing and do it well. For example, Splatoon for the WiiU was a novel take on shooters.

EDIT: If you've been out of the loop for a while, you actually have a larger range of games to look at then what most people here will suggest. Any game that you haven't played before is technically a new game!

EDIT#2: Talisman Digital Edition might good with friends and/or family. It has strong RPG elements but it's pretty much a fancy board game.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Not sure if I can help you there. I think you've covered every end of the driving genre there.

For some reason this reminded me of...

The driving parts of GTA type games are fun but I'm quite sure this isn't the type of fantasy I've decided to live out.

Edit: I just noticed my profile pic is eerily similar.

Last edited: