• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CRYORIG A80

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
CRYORIG looks to improve their share of the all-in-one liquid cooler market by dominating the competition with the A80. Featuring their unique Hybrid Airflow Fan paired with a large 280 mm radiator, this interesting design might just turn a few heads.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Evil Dragon
Processor AMD FX-8320 Vishera @4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus 970 pro gaming Aura
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2(fully Lapped). 4 40mm NB/VRM fans. 6 Thermaltake Riing 12 Series fans
Memory 2X8gig GeIL EVO Veloce Series DDR3 1600 @9.9.9.26
Video Card(s) Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 (1400/2100)
Storage PNY XLR8 480gig SSD. Patriot Pyro SE 60gig SSD.
Display(s) ASUS VP228H LED
Case Thermaltake Core V31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1150 W/Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ 110
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Software Win 10 Pro
While it does bring something new, it isn't very useful. And doesn't justify the price when they are just as effective AIO's out there for less money.

Drop the gimmicky fan, reduce the price and this is an actual contender.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
While it does bring something new, it isn't very useful. And doesn't justify the price when they are just as effective AIO's out there for less money.

Drop the gimmicky fan, reduce the price and this is an actual contender.

I like the fan, but it needs to be 120mm, so I can blow a lot over the VRMs. Idgaf about memory temp. The longevity of an OCed system is going to be keeping those magma chambers cool, IMO (and any nearby components).

You should add some information regarding the noise/performance ratio.
Those fixed numbers for fan speed and noise tell us nothing about how noisy it is in actual use.

From what I can see you test everything with fans at 100%... that doesn't paint a realistic picture of how they perform in real life and how bearable they are.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
You should add some information regarding the noise/performance ratio.
Those fixed numbers for fan speed and noise tell us nothing about how noisy it is in actual use.

From what I can see you test everything with fans at 100%... that doesn't paint a realistic picture of how they perform in real life and how bearable they are.

If you read the review noise level is tested at 25% 50% and 100% PWM values meanwhile performance is tested at 100% for one simple reason it gives the maximum performance on offer without a bunch of uncontrollable variables. A case, case fans, silence vs performance, user preference these variables cannot be controlled. So my results will never be 100% on par with an end user in this regard. Add to that under PWM load depending on the motherboard how quick it ramps up will vary as well but I am sure you were aware of that yes? As some boards allow PWM customization in the bios. Using 100% fan speed demonstrates the max performance a cooler will offer and thus its maximum potential relative to the competition while removing a large number of useless variables that i can't account for.

I leave you with some sage words.

"I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either."

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
If you read the review noise level is tested at 25% 50% and 100% PWM values meanwhile performance is tested at 100% for one simple reason it gives the maximum performance on offer without a bunch of uncontrollable variables. A case, case fans, silence vs performance, user preference these variables cannot be controlled. So my results will never be 100% on par with an end user in this regard. Add to that under PWM load depending on the motherboard how quick it ramps up will vary as well but I am sure you were aware of that yes? As some boards allow PWM customization in the bios. Using 100% fan speed demonstrates the max performance a cooler will offer and thus its maximum potential relative to the competition while removing a large number of useless variables that i can't account for.

I leave you with some sage words.

"I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either."

Agreed, most of us just want relative performance differences between coolers and rather than confuse readers with multiple values that may change in other reviews depending on speed just pick max and you know the MOST the cooler is capable of with stock fans. Then you can decide depending on that stock fan rating if it is comparable to another cooler.

I do however have a question/request. I like the review and am glad we are getting more AIO's in the review mix but considering how big Corsair is with their AIO's all it appears we have for them is the relatively budget h80i Gt which is a smaller rad etc than this and predator etc, so is there any chance you guys could get say a h110i or one of the 240 mm beasts (like one I own) to see how it rates in the scale? I actually was more interested in you reviewing it before I decided to buy it but still it's one of the most popular out there and I'd like to see it or one of it's other brethren top end Corsair brothers tested like whatever the newest one is that they have. I see it on many sites of course but this is my favorite tech haunt and honestly has one of the better bunch of reviewers and page layouts so they are easy to read and have all relevant information without wasting a ton of space. Anyway, just a thought and hope from me:). Thanks again for review.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
i wish it wasnt so hard to find a horizontal ATX case that will hold one of these and a ~13 inch R9 fury. Surprised to see how well air cooling is vs water though

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
No support for AM4? .... a bit odd they don't mention that (on there website) - or is it to early for that?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Agreed, most of us just want relative performance differences between coolers and rather than confuse readers with multiple values that may change in other reviews depending on speed just pick max and you know the MOST the cooler is capable of with stock fans. Then you can decide depending on that stock fan rating if it is comparable to another cooler.

I do however have a question/request. I like the review and am glad we are getting more AIO's in the review mix but considering how big Corsair is with their AIO's all it appears we have for them is the relatively budget h80i Gt which is a smaller rad etc than this and predator etc, so is there any chance you guys could get say a h110i or one of the 240 mm beasts (like one I own) to see how it rates in the scale? I actually was more interested in you reviewing it before I decided to buy it but still it's one of the most popular out there and I'd like to see it or one of it's other brethren top end Corsair brothers tested like whatever the newest one is that they have. I see it on many sites of course but this is my favorite tech haunt and honestly has one of the better bunch of reviewers and page layouts so they are easy to read and have all relevant information without wasting a ton of space. Anyway, just a thought and hope from me:). Thanks again for review.

Well sadly many of the newer larger 280mm are basically just refreshes of designs that were covered already or are just really really old. I tested the H105 that was the last up to date unit other than the H80i GT. If Corsair wants to send me stuff I will review it but like all manufacturers some respond quicker than others I have x number of slots I can handle at a time. Right now I have all possible samples I can handle on hand. If i take more samples thats fine but some companies don't want to wait for a review either so I do the best I can with the time I have.

No support for AM4? .... a bit odd they don't mention that (on there website) - or is it to early for that?

My guess is that it is still too early. We know the mounting points but thats it. No one knows specs on the CPU size or the IHS and all kinds of other stuff.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Well sadly many of the newer larger 280mm are basically just refreshes of designs that were covered already or are just really really old. I tested the H105 that was the last up to date unit other than the H80i GT. If Corsair wants to send me stuff I will review it but like all manufacturers some respond quicker than others I have x number of slots I can handle at a time. Right now I have all possible samples I can handle on hand. If i take more samples thats fine but some companies don't want to wait for a review either so I do the best I can with the time I ha

Thanks, was just curious and seeing the smaller rad h80igt which I thought was a smaller unite I have the h110iextreme ( I believe) I'd have to look at box I've seen so many numbers with these Corsairs due to many units and renaming/rebranding etc with newer models. Anyway yes i think I said 240 mm but I'm sure I meant 280mm this is first AIO I've owned with all the reviews I've seen hence why I'm asking you about numbers/reviews etc. So I was ONLY going by what I saw at a quick glance in past reviews plus the reference coolers you had in your review of this cooler...So are there any 280 mm coolers you reviewed? I thought not but perhaps I missed it.

Ok editing this I did see at least one you reviewed the Predator, didn't catch that at first. Still love to see Corsair's offerings covered but gotcha, sure you got plenty on your plate and it's up to the company to send you sample anyway.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
10 AIOs in tested and in the charts

280 mm = 3 units
240 mm = 5 unit
120 mm = 1 unit
92 mm = 1 unit

14 Air coolers test and in the charts

High end = 4
Mid range = 4
Entry = 6

280 mm
A80 / Predator 280 / Swiftech H240X

240 mm
Alphacool Eisbaer / A40 Ultimate (same design as H105) / Predator 240 / H220 X2 Prestige / H220X2

120 mm
H80i GT

92 mm
CM Maker 92.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
10 AIOs in tested and in the charts

280 mm = 3 units
240 mm = 5 unit
120 mm = 1 unit
92 mm = 1 unit

14 Air coolers test and in the charts

High end = 4
Mid range = 4
Entry = 6

280 mm
A80 / Predator 280 / Swiftech H240X

240 mm
Alphacool Eisbaer / A40 Ultimate (same design as H105) / Predator 240 / H220 X2 Prestige / H220X2

120 mm
H80i GT

92 mm
CM Maker 92.

Thanks, I wasn't super impressed by the a80 so I was discounting that, then I saw the predator and admittedly didn't see the swiftech....also kinda weird why name a 280 mm rad like swiftech as a 240x when it's 280 mm? Seems a bit odd no wonder I missed it lol. Anyway thanks for the rundown, I glanced through quickly but that's a nice synopsis and is very helpful to clarify what's what.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Thanks, I wasn't super impressed by the a80 so I was discounting that, then I saw the predator and admittedly didn't see the swiftech....also kinda weird why name a 280 mm rad like swiftech as a 240x when it's 280 mm? Seems a bit odd no wonder I missed it lol. Anyway thanks for the rundown, I glanced through quickly but that's a nice synopsis and is very helpful to clarify what's what.

Swiftech makes sense when you think about it their name goes by fan size. so H220x2 = H = series 2 = number of fans 20 = fan size so H series with 2x 120 mm fans while the H240X etc is H series with 2x 140 mm fans H series 3x 120 for the H320X2 etc That said I will agree that its basically Swiftech just being different for the sake of being different.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Swiftech makes sense when you think about it their name goes by fan size. so H220x2 = H = series 2 = number of fans 20 = fan size so H series with 2x 120 mm fans while the H240X etc is H series with 2x 140 mm fans H series 3x 120 for the H320X2 etc That said I will agree that its basically Swiftech just being different for the sake of being different.

Yeah, I assumed there was a reason for naming it such and it just wasn't going by rad size...but yeah like we both agree it is not how it's usually done so yeah they may lose people looking for a big rad if they only see name, especially where pretty much every other manufacturer has the rad size in the name of the product. Seems like a bad marketing idea destined to only to fail.