• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z270 Motherboards Automate Core i7-7700K Overclock to 5.20 GHz

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Sure it is stable, how bout show it running Prime95 instead of BIOS without either immediately crashing or thermal throttling like Pentium D. Not to even talk about suicidal voltages, and you advertise this for masses?

100% scam marketing as usual. Bad MSI, bad.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Personally, I see anything as up to 1.5v as safe, since Intel litterally lets the chips request up to 1.52v automatically via VID. They literally rate them for that. I don't know where people get these cautionary numbers, but provided you can keep the chip cool, they make no sense.
Its a matter of opinion and from advice of those in many forums that I visit where I get my numbers from. Its just what I think for a 24/7 overclock (Not testing or pushing limits). I just think beyond a certain point you are starting to really tap into the lifespan of a chip especially if you game, encode, edit, etc since its going to keep that chip revved up for extended periods with those voltages. I have seen a few chips in my time go up from overclocking because the users pushed way to much and set like that 24/7 (more AMD than Intel though strictly actually the FX line and one phenom II). I just like to keep my chips below 1.35 as my safety point for 24/7 use and think 1.5 would be a bit extreme for my taste.

It's strange though, ASUS has an auto tune feature which overshoot the voltage only by a tiny bit on my system and reached 4.4GHz I think.. Why is MSI advertising it as something so much better and at those voltages?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
MSI had it in the past as well... ASUS only goes to 5Ghz on their auto tuning for Z270 I believe.

Sure it is stable, how bout show it running Prime95 instead of BIOS without either immediately crashing or thermal throttling like Pentium D. Not to even talk about suicidal voltages, and you advertise this for masses?

100% scam marketing as usual. Bad MSI, bad.
1.5V, while high, isn't "suicidal". Id imagine a chip, with temps under control (good luck - need custom loop), will last throughout its warranty period (3 years). They spec a max of 1`.52V. ;)

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
MSI had it in the past as well... ASUS only goes to 5Ghz on their auto tuning for Z270 I believe.

1.5V, while high, isn't "suicidal". Id imagine a chip, with temps under control (good luck - need custom loop), will last throughout its warranty period (3 years). They spec a max of 1`.52V. ;)
Not saying it is going to die immediately, but I have had a ton of CPUs in the past and a few of them have shown significant degradation within months when used at even less voltage.
Usually it can have mild effect, like need to drop off hundred MHz core clock after a while, but when it really starts to go it will go there is no stopping.
It is real physical phenomenon, seen it multiple times with my own chips. Especially bad when combined with high temperatures (which there will be at that voltage).

You'd be far better off running that 100 - 200MHz lower clock speed at reasonable voltages pretty much indefinitely compared to doing so for some time, possibly ending up having to use even lower OC afterwards. 1.52V is indeed absolute maximum rating (do you really want to be running at that extended time?), wanna bet your motherboard isn't pushing even more in reality? Gaming/OC motherboards are notorious for giving CPU more voltage than software is telling.

And if it does that within the warranty period, return the CPU (Intel Performance Tuning plan). Simple. Its a risk we all take when overclocking. If one can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
And if it does that within the warranty period, return the CPU (Intel Performance Tuning plan). Simple. Its a risk we all take when overclocking. If one can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Wrong. I have never seen CPU die or even degrade with any reasonable OC. You can overlock without being complete stupid and going too far.

I have...

Earlier, you must have been talking about something else I guess, where you did see this happening 'a ton'. I assume that when you said, "at even less voltage" you were talking about 'reasonable' voltages...

but I have had a ton of CPUs in the past and a few of them have shown significant degradation within months when used at even less voltage.
Usually it can have mild effect, like need to drop off hundred MHz core clock after a while, but when it really starts to go it will go there is no stopping.
It is real physical phenomenon, seen it multiple times with my own chips. Especially bad when combined with high temperatures (which there will be at that voltage).

... I guess you run at unreasonable voltages?

wanna bet your motherboard isn't pushing even more in reality? Gaming/OC motherboards are notorious for giving CPU more voltage than software is telling.
Forgot to comment on this earlier....

... just check. Use CPUz or other tools to verify. Typically, at least Z170 and down, with manual overclocking, its either spot on or there is the Intel spec, vdroop (less on load). But, when overclocking, you are looking at the voltages anyway... at least you should, and all good guides tell you this.